Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think of contabo? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you guys think of contabo?

124»

Comments

• No setup fee atm

• My experience with conta-boo was 🥜

• Wenlee8Wenlee8 Member

Tried them years ago, then I found out Hetzner is wayyy better :*

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I never really understood why ppl consider Contabo so cheap. It maybe was years ago but many stable and long established providers can offer similar prices and much better quality.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@ArrowBoi said:
    I completely forgot about contabo and thought of getting a contabo vps to resell minecraft hosting but I've heard some stuff about its bad performance.

Whats your opinion on contabo and reselling contabo VPS specifically?

The odds of getting a good VPS is same as getting six on a dice.

• mhnmhn Member

@AXYZE said: For $20-$30 you can get dedicated server with 4 cores and 32GB of RAM. This will be a nice start. Even better if you spend $40 and get 6core & 32/64GB RAM.

I see but friend where are you getting those prices from lol, OVH and pebblehost are way expensive than what you've just said.

I get this prices from here.
    Just month ago OVH had 32GB for 14.99Euro, even less than I said
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/190227/ovh-kimsufi-sys-black-friday-started/p1

PebbleHost regular price right now (no sale whatsoever) is $37.49 for 32GB. There was 15% off coupon "LINUS", but sadly it stopped working. Hopefully they will have some sales in January.
    https://pebblehost.com/dedicated/configure?server=275

Just stick around here and look at sales threads. There's plenty of dedicated servers at low prices.

pretty sure kimsufi is not ideal for game hosting

Your original choice was Contabo with no filters at all and oversold nodes xD
    I don't even know what you complain about.

There's nothing better at low price for game servers.

contabo can be considered better than kimsufi for running game servers

xD good luck bro

whats funny bro, if you see kumsufi Public Bandwidth its only 100 Mbit/s unmetered.

And why is this a problem?
    Do you want to run 20000 players on 32GB server or what?

Minecraft is just sending coordinates of players, their actions and updates blocks within chunks. It eats nothing.

I see

Example https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/1-gbps-vs-250mpbs.21435/
    "On 30mbps i was able to fit 350 players with no connection lag."
    "I have 80 players on regularly, we use under 20mpbs at any time."

100Mbps is a lot for game servers. You dont send images, you dont send video, most of the time you dont even have voice chat. Just XYZ coordinates. It's like small text file, its nothing in terms of size.

You will eat 32GB RAM quicker than eat 100Mbps. Don't worry about it. Look at ram and processor with no steal.

CPU steal causes jitter, so players will teleport or miss their shots.

If website is loaded 20ms slower because of steal you won't even notice it. If game has random 20ms lags all the time it makes awful experience.

For websites VPSes are excellent, but for gameservers you always see inconsistent performance, especially with cheap VPSes that are oversold.

That is from 2014. Modern Minecraft consumes way more in every aspect. People can have an inventory with 1MB worth of data which gets loaded to all the surrounding people. In my case, if I just go to the spawn or teleport to another part of the world I already see a 5 Mbit/s increase separate from all others.
    You can't just host it on a shitbox at this point. You need fast single core speeds. I wouldn't go lower than a 4790k for starting out, 7900/7950x if I had the funds. A VPS would be catastrophic.