Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think of contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you guys think of contabo?

I completely forgot about contabo and thought of getting a contabo vps to resell minecraft hosting but I've heard some stuff about its bad performance.

Whats your opinion on contabo and reselling contabo VPS specifically?

Comments

• @ArrowBoi said:
    reselling contabo VPS

lol, you're going to get severe IOPS deprivation (may require seeing a doctor).

Thanked by 1dubalie
  • @Moopah said:

@ArrowBoi said:
    reselling contabo VPS

lol, you're going to get severe IOPS deprivation (may require seeing a doctor).

how come?

• @Moopah said: IOPS deprivation

can't find the meaning https://i.e-z.host/xcwvm498.png

• try it and let us know how it goes

• I used it 2 years ago, Its more like gamble, If you lucky you can get standard quality service, If not you can still tell support to migrate your node to another one, but for me its quite hassle.
    Hetzer probably best choice If you host on EU/US

Thanked by 2ArrowBoi Talistech
  • There is mixed reviews regarding contabo services - both positive and negative. Pros: affordable pricings, cons: mostly about iops or high cpu steals.

• tothosttothost Member, Patron Provider

Good price but the quality is unstable

• It's a long story.

• It's complicated

• Hi @ArrowBoi - have you tried Marmite?
    Best of luck with your venture! :smile:
    p.s. have you considered Racknerd for your shared Reseller hosting? It is cPanel but they have some good deals in a few locations - check their website - Black Friday - Reseller Hosting.

Thanked by 1ArrowBoi
  • mrs92mrs92 Member
    edited December 2023

It's really annoying af

• Avesome price-performance ratio, but in real IOPS is very limited, they provide as NVMe the quarter of a normal SATA DC SSD's 4k and 64k IOPS. Cpu is usual got stealed if you win a noisy neighbor on the node. Network speeds caped. The DDoS protection means that they unroute your VPS if it is under attack.

If you got luck or you do not have big requirements, it is usable enough. Old name in the hosting market so they might be available in 2024, and with these billing conditions (no contract) hard to beat them with these specs. Cloud VPS S with free disk extensions unbeatable for 4.5 euros.

Thanked by 1ArrowBoi
  • whats the link?

• @meditatingsurgeon said:
    Hi @ArrowBoi - have you tried Marmite?
    Best of luck with your venture! :smile:
    p.s. have you considered Racknerd for your shared Reseller hosting? It is cPanel but they have some good deals in a few locations - check their website - Black Friday - Reseller Hosting.

Ya I've checked theirs and have considered to go for host4geek if I plan to get reseller or else I plan to just get whmcs from skynethosting

• edited December 2023

@ArrowBoi said: @meditatingsurgeon said: Marmite

whats the link?

Sorry, no link; Marmite is a spread (high in Vitamin B ) that is very polarizing you either love it or hate it. The same is true with Contabo; you will find mixed opinions about them. You can also find differing opinions from the same person at different times - it is a bit of luck of the draw.
    I've had mixed experiences, and I know that they are on this forum, so I must say it's nice to have telephone support, and they have always been helpful, even with email support. It's a shame some clients abuse their services.

Thanked by 1ArrowBoi
  • I ordered contabo vps in Japan last month.
    But it VPS’s performance was too bad.
    For example, network speed is about 1mbps and geekbench result was too low.

Thanked by 1ArrowBoi
  • HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

Low prices in hosting is like real estate.

It could be

1 ) Party continues until its unsustainable ( evagrande / alpharacks ), new prepaid money comes in to pay for future customers.
    2 ) It's subsidised somewhere ( Government subsidies, investment ), rent controlled, government housing ( hetzner/ovh gets some government subsidies )
    3 ) They cram as many people as they possibly/legally can ( New York/Japan shoebox apartments ).

Contabo is probably a mix of 2 and 3. Sometimes you get lucky your neighbours never come home or use their shoebox apartment, sometimes you're not.

Thanked by 1ArrowBoi
  • @ArrowBoi said: Ya I've checked theirs and have considered to go for host4geek if I plan to get reseller or else I plan to just get whmcs from skynethosting

host4geek might be ok, though not much positive reviews for them. But Skynethosting is totally a scam run by sole Sri Lankan guy. Everyday downtime, slow loading sites. I had to migrate my clients from them. Though you can host your personal projects, but if you are reselling from Skynethosting - avoid.

• @JasonM said:

@ArrowBoi said: Ya I've checked theirs and have considered to go for host4geek if I plan to get reseller or else I plan to just get whmcs from skynethosting

host4geek might be ok, though not much positive reviews for them. But Skynethosting is totally a scam run by sole Sri Lankan guy. Everyday downtime, slow loading sites. I had to migrate my clients from them. Though you can host your personal projects, but if you are reselling from Skynethosting - avoid.

I see, thanks for letting me know.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2023

If you want to sell game hosting services you need dedicated server, not VPS.

VPS providers give you a lot of CPU power (for example 6vCPU), but you cannot use it for long time as physical server is shared with many customers and on top of that youre fighting with others for CPU resources (CPU steal). Most providers limit you to 30% average CPU usage, so instead of 6vCPU you can use just 2vCPU. Thats not a great value anymore.

For game servers you need strong CPU and for Minecraft you need a lot of RAM.
    For $20-$30 you can get dedicated server with 4 cores and 32GB of RAM. This will be a nice start. Even better if you spend $40 and get 6core & 32/64GB RAM.

Keep in mind that game servers attract a lot of skids which will waste their time attacking your server. You need solid DDoS Protection.

For cheap dedicated servers with solid DDoS Protection look at OVH or PebbleHost.

For cheap dedicated servers without solid DDoS Protection but maybe better specs for same price take a look at Hetzner, NOCIX, OneProvider.

• ArrowBoiArrowBoi Member
    edited December 2023

@AXYZE said: For $20-$30 you can get dedicated server with 4 cores and 32GB of RAM. This will be a nice start. Even better if you spend $40 and get 6core & 32/64GB RAM.

I see but friend where are you getting those prices from lol, OVH and pebblehost are way expensive than what you've just said.

• SG is ok-ish. JP is sh-t.

• might just go for netdynamics, they seem to be affordable.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • If VPS cannot support your requirements, can look for VDS.

If VDS cannot then can go for dedicated server :)

Thanked by 1ArrowBoi
  • @ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said: For $20-$30 you can get dedicated server with 4 cores and 32GB of RAM. This will be a nice start. Even better if you spend $40 and get 6core & 32/64GB RAM.

I see but friend where are you getting those prices from lol, OVH and pebblehost are way expensive than what you've just said.

I get this prices from here.
    Just month ago OVH had 32GB for 14.99Euro, even less than I said
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/190227/ovh-kimsufi-sys-black-friday-started/p1

PebbleHost regular price right now (no sale whatsoever) is $37.49 for 32GB. There was 15% off coupon "LINUS", but sadly it stopped working. Hopefully they will have some sales in January.
    https://pebblehost.com/dedicated/configure?server=275

Just stick around here and look at sales threads. There's plenty of dedicated servers at low prices.

• @AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/190227/ovh-kimsufi-sys-black-friday-started/p1

PebbleHost regular price right now (no sale whatsoever) is $37.49 for 32GB. There was 15% off coupon "LINUS", but sadly it stopped working. Hopefully they will have some sales in January.

Just stick around here and look at sales threads. There's plenty of dedicated servers at low prices.

pretty sure kimsufi is not ideal for game hosting

• @ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

Your original choice was Contabo with no filters at all and oversold nodes xD
    I don't even know what you complain about.

There's nothing better at low price for game servers.

• ArrowBoiArrowBoi Member
    edited December 2023

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

contabo can be considered better than kimsufi for running game servers, I've seen hosts resell contabo and when did I complain?

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

contabo can be considered better than kimsufi for running game servers, I've seen hosts resell contabo and when did I complain?

Contabo has a lot of cpu steal

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned