Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think of contabo? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you guys think of contabo?

Comments

• @ArrowBoi said:

@PepePepperoni said:
    Being on Contabo for a year, I'm about to switch. CPU power was fine until some two months ago. Tried to update to a bigger spec, no improvement.

which company do you plan on switching to?

still deciding
    looking for dedicated cores on ryzen 9 7950X

• @PepePepperoni said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@PepePepperoni said:
    Being on Contabo for a year, I'm about to switch. CPU power was fine until some two months ago. Tried to update to a bigger spec, no improvement.

still deciding

@HostEONS ?

• @Moopah said:

@PepePepperoni said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@PepePepperoni said:

still deciding

@HostEONS ?

looks good I guess, so does speedypage and crunchbits

• You'll get Contaboed

• Always had only issues with contabo, don't bother.

• Contabo is a hairy egg
    The chicken grew big and tall then flew away.
    Open the work orders, around 40-50, and they finally increase the quality and the new chick is hatched.

The large plate chicken is fragrant and small knives is convenient. Not funny to discover chicken is not cooked and the work order deleted.

A big yellow cow jumped over the dog and was quick to avoid the lazy brown fox.

• Lu5ckLu5ck Member
    edited January 3

@ArrowBoi said:
    I completely forgot about contabo and thought of getting a contabo vps to resell minecraft hosting but I've heard some stuff about its bad performance.

Whats your opinion on contabo and reselling contabo VPS specifically?

I got a vps from contabo reseller to host my game server, he got 7900 from contabo. While the server is running as expected, the network is oversold. During peak hour which is typically night time, the outgoing and incoming speed will drop from 30ish MB/s to 100Kb/s. That's how congested it is and Contabo has absolutely zero interest in fixing their peering point, even their supports is trying hard to brush it off.

Fortunately and unfortunately in this location (Singapore), the expensive bandwidth come with SGIX datacentre route so I simply got another VPS to tunnel the VPS to, in order to avoid that highly congested peering point owned by Contabo at night.

If you gonna resell, you better be prepared for your customer to complain and not staying for long. Right now I am particularly weighting my options.

• Contabo is among the absolute worst. Oversold like hell. With Contabo I have seen the worst CPU steal ever (up to 80%) and poorest performance with their "SSD" storage. You usually need to ask them about the storage performance and they often lift some limits that improve performance a bit, but their NVME storage is a lot better. Last time I tried Contabo I was surprised because it was decent for a couple of days, then it was back to its usual crap.

• I have a contabo vps, I like it and haven’t seen any issues but then again I’m not running geekbench or benchmarking every day

• op23op23 Member

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said:

@ArrowBoi said:

@AXYZE said: For $20-$30 you can get dedicated server with 4 cores and 32GB of RAM. This will be a nice start. Even better if you spend $40 and get 6core & 32/64GB RAM.

I see but friend where are you getting those prices from lol, OVH and pebblehost are way expensive than what you've just said.

I get this prices from here.
    Just month ago OVH had 32GB for 14.99Euro, even less than I said
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/190227/ovh-kimsufi-sys-black-friday-started/p1

PebbleHost regular price right now (no sale whatsoever) is $37.49 for 32GB. There was 15% off coupon "LINUS", but sadly it stopped working. Hopefully they will have some sales in January.
    https://pebblehost.com/dedicated/configure?server=275

Just stick around here and look at sales threads. There's plenty of dedicated servers at low prices.

pretty sure kimsufi is not ideal for game hosting

Your original choice was Contabo with no filters at all and oversold nodes xD
    I don't even know what you complain about.

There's nothing better at low price for game servers.

contabo can be considered better than kimsufi for running game servers

xD good luck bro

whats funny bro, if you see kumsufi Public Bandwidth its only 100 Mbit/s unmetered.

And why is this a problem?
    Do you want to run 20000 players on 32GB server or what?

Minecraft is just sending coordinates of players, their actions and updates blocks within chunks. It eats nothing.

I see

Example https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/1-gbps-vs-250mpbs.21435/
    "On 30mbps i was able to fit 350 players with no connection lag."
    "I have 80 players on regularly, we use under 20mpbs at any time."

100Mbps is a lot for game servers. You dont send images, you dont send video, most of the time you dont even have voice chat. Just XYZ coordinates. It's like small text file, its nothing in terms of size.

You will eat 32GB RAM quicker than eat 100Mbps. Don't worry about it. Look at ram and processor with no steal.

CPU steal causes jitter, so players will teleport or miss their shots.

If website is loaded 20ms slower because of steal you won't even notice it. If game has random 20ms lags all the time it makes awful experience.

For websites VPSes are excellent, but for gameservers you always see inconsistent performance, especially with cheap VPSes that are oversold.

ah I see, I understand, thanks.

Also I was going through the list and found this, what do you think?
    tho its ddr3, I heard ddr3 is wayy worse than ddr4, would it be a problem?

Having an SSD is more important than the difference between DDR3/4. It’s a Minecraft server not a cloud blender node.

• @CasualCanvas said:
    SG is ok-ish. JP is sh-t.

you sure? have you ever use their SG in 80% CPU?

• ResenResen Member

I'm not sure in which region you want to purchase a Contabo VPS, but I believe there are better options, especially for Europe and the Americas, where you can find more cost-effective hosting solutions. Singapore also offers OVH as an alternative.

The performance of Contabo's EPYC 7282 is insufficient for Minecraft servers, especially on higher Minecraft versions, unless it's a "very small" server. Additionally, Contabo's DDoS issues result in being null-routed after an attack, causing downtime, which is problematic for game servers.

I am currently involved in selling Minecraft servers based on my experience, I would prefer OVH's dedicated servers for better performance and DDoS resistance, rather than opting for EPYC-based solutions.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • crap quality.

use racknerd instead.

• Contabo has never failed me. I use it when I don't care about the location of the server.

Whats your opinion on contabo and reselling contabo VPS specifically?

Pretty good, I know someone who used to do that. So yes. it works.

• @ArrowBoi said:
    Also @WhiteRoseG

you can take a look at the pterodactyl installation docs, its pretty lengthy and mistakes can be easily made by people who haven't done it before
    https://pterodactyl.io/project/introduction.html
    (...snip...)

..or just use an easier one with fewer commands
    https://linuxgsm.com/servers/mcbserver/
    https://linuxgsm.com/servers/mcserver/

• hyperhostsolutionshyperhostsolutions Member, Patron Provider

Run Away

• @ScreenReader said:

@ArrowBoi said:
    Also @WhiteRoseG

you can take a look at the pterodactyl installation docs, its pretty lengthy and mistakes can be easily made by people who haven't done it before
    https://pterodactyl.io/project/introduction.html
    (...snip...)

..or just use an easier one with fewer commands
    https://linuxgsm.com/servers/mcbserver/
    https://linuxgsm.com/servers/mcserver/

:p

• WiseWise Member

Just cancelled the contabo VPS, didn’t like the fact they tried to pre authorise payments a week before payments are due. Not in the tos when I signed up.

• O also cancelled, switch to Avoro really happy there

• Is it just me or did Contabo changed the cheapest package from 8gb ram to 6gb ram ?

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    Is it just me or did Contabo changed the cheapest package from 8gb ram to 6gb ram ?

They did. What a shame :(

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    Is it just me or did Contabo changed the cheapest package from 8gb ram to 6gb ram ?

Doubled storage.

• @ascicode said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

Doubled storage.

SSDs probably still have 1,300 4K RAND IOPS

• It's still a good price don't get me wrong but I would rather had 8gb Ram, also I dont get there pricing because one plan higher is the same diskspace also 400gb

• I cancelled my services with them anyway I switched to Avoro better speeds.

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    It's still a good price don't get me wrong but I would rather had 8gb Ram, also I dont get there pricing because one plan higher is the same diskspace also 400gb

more vCore + RAM, same goes to Storage VPS.
    Propably some AI does the price rating.

@Moopah said:

@ascicode said:

@WhiteRoseG said:

Doubled storage.

SSDs probably still have 1,300 4K RAND IOPS

Pretty sure nothing changed.

• They have now location fee reduction.

• If you saw, they added some staking nodes as a setup option.

• I don't like them at all. Serious CPU theft and so on, they offer configurations that look good on paper, but it's dishonest overselling to have to jostle with crowded neighbors in a single carriage. However, if I want a lot of cheap solid-state storage, this is indeed a plan to consider, they are a large provider, and their reputation is reliable. Despite this, they would not be my first choice, there are more trustworthy sellers on the forums.

• IvanIvan Member

Can't speak for their VPS but I tried their Ryzen 7900 dedi back then when it first launched. For the price and the fact that they offer Singapore as a location, I'd say it's fair. But the downside is that the network tends to underperform at times. I suppose like what others have said, it appears to be oversold. :/