Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[BF2023] Why Rent, When You Can OWN?! $50 DUAL E5 SERVERS + COLOCATION SALE! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[BF2023] Why Rent, When You Can OWN?! $50 DUAL E5 SERVERS + COLOCATION SALE!

Comments

• abtdwabtdw Member

@jonbeard said: There is most likely not enough PSU to give enough juice to power a GPU. I would advise against this most likely, without upgrading your PSU

NP, as is this is a great deal. Grabbed one. I'll make use of it for compute/storage purposes.

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Hi @jonbeard and @BreezeHost_Ryan. Thanks for this great and novel deal! I picked up a server and additional IPs. I was wondering if it would be possible to mount the Proxmox version 8 ISO when the server is delivered. I see that PVE 6 and 7 are available for selection already.

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

@meditatingsurgeon said:
    Hi @jonbeard and @BreezeHost_Ryan. Thanks for this great and novel deal! I picked up a server and additional IPs. I was wondering if it would be possible to mount the Proxmox version 8 ISO when the server is delivered. I see that PVE 6 and 7 are available for selection already.

Yes! Of course my friend. Can you give me your order number? I’ll make a note on your order for you.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Incredibly enticing :smiley:

@DP said:

You know you want one! (Or some haha)

These can also be upgraded to the v3/v4 board! The board is about $100 on eBay. We can take care of swapping the mobo/ram/cpus out to make these the ddr4 units.

Thanked by 2SinV inthecloudblog
  • DrMonDrMon Member

@jonbeard said:

@DP said:

These can also be upgraded to the v3/v4 board! The board is about $100 on eBay. We can take care of swapping the mobo/ram/cpus out to make these the ddr4 units.

Ooh, that's interesting. Do you have a stock of compatible CPU/RAM? Or would we buy everything and send them straight from ebay?

@DrMon said:

@jonbeard said:

@DP said:

Ooh, that's interesting. Do you have a stock of compatible CPU/RAM? Or would we buy everything and send them straight from ebay?

I know I have a stock of CPUs, I don’t know about the RAM. Supermicro boards can be fiddicky when it comes to the RAM. We have a board arriving today for these in Dallas as a test unit. I’ll report back on the details once I have it built and working properly.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Hi @jonbeard and @BreezeHost_Ryan. Thanks for this great and novel deal! I picked up a server and additional IPs. I was wondering if it would be possible to mount the Proxmox version 8 ISO when the server is delivered. I see that PVE 6 and 7 are available for selection already.

Yes! Of course my friend. Can you give me your order number? I’ll make a note on your order for you.

Hi @jonbeard - my order number is 3121637920. Many thanks :smiley:

• So when you say own. What exactly does that mean? Do I ever eventually get the server shiped to me?

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep
    edited January 13

@ItsAsylum said:
    So when you say own. What exactly does that mean? Do I ever eventually get the server shiped to me?

Mhm, just pay the cost of de-racking and shipping after 6 months.
    Reference: https://my.breezehost.io/knowledgebase/5/Remote-Hands-Fee-Schedule.html
    And: https://my.breezehost.io/knowledgebase/6/Rent-to-Own-Terms.html

Thanked by 1Naomii
  • @SinSiXX said:

@ItsAsylum said:
    So when you say own. What exactly does that mean? Do I ever eventually get the server shiped to me?

Reference: https://my.breezehost.io/knowledgebase/5/Remote-Hands-Fee-Schedule.html

Fucking RIP lol

Well, it still makes sense if ur gonna colo it on breeze forever.

• Oh man, I just got a new dedicated server elsewhere recently. I'll probably need another later and will check back if it's still available.

@stefeman said:

@SinSiXX said:

@ItsAsylum said:

Fucking RIP lol

I mean, we’re not going to pay the costs for us to ship it out to you 😅 Pretty standard in the industry honestly lol.

@neurostimulant said:
    Oh man, I just got a new dedicated server elsewhere recently. I'll probably need another later and will check back if it's still available.

Folks are going crazy on this deal lol. We had to sign for another rack to be installed yesterday because of how many people have jumped on this deal <3

• @abtdw said:
    Ah Getting very nice suggestions and ideas here. Newbie here, I am not that aware of server GPU's. I see that there is a PCIe slot. Any GPU suggestions guys? That is good but cheap enough and can fit into this beauty. My usecase is to learn/do hobby projects with AI/LLM. Is it possible?

If you were intent on a GPU, I'd suggest nothing beefier than maybe a Quadro P400. 1U servers, in general, tend to be poor choices for GPU workloads. And Nvidia consumer cards are nothing but hassle in any server type application that is well-suited to a 1U anyhow IMO.

Honestly, if this is your first foray into server GPUs, I'd recommend not going with a 1U. You're going to have a lot more luck finding GPUs that take 2-3 slots, which is literally impossible to happen with these machines.

However, for CPU-based AI stuff, these are probably reasonable choices since you can get them up to a total of 24 cores/48 threads (across both CPU dies) at up to 3.5 GHz (e.g. E5-2697 v2).

But be aware the E5-2600 series CPUs are quite strange beasts when your goal is to push them hard. For example, the per-core turbo speed throttling curve is different on like every model in the series, so it's very much a case of figuring out your workload and what will give the best performance for yourself. The difference can be up to 25% or so in the outlier cases I was figuring out for myself. (If you're not gonna regularly hit more than like 50% per core simultaneously across all cores at once, it's all academic.)

If that sounds like more than you want to deal with, just upgrade to one of the faster 10 or 12 core CPUs: E5-2670 v2, E5-2680 v2, E5-2690 v2, E5-2696 v2, E5-2697 v2 (if one model is significantly cheaper than the others, just go with a pair of those and don't stress). For workloads where 8 cores is sufficient, the E5-2687W v2 is a fantastic choice. BUT it's a 150W TDP part so I don't think you'd be able to get away with a GPU as well. I don't know how beefy the PSU is in these things, honestly. That's a @jonbeard question for sure. (I also don't know what the PSU upgrade options look like... I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet!)

Thanked by 2loay abtdw
  • @jonbeard said:

@neurostimulant said:
    Oh man, I just got a new dedicated server elsewhere recently. I'll probably need another later and will check back if it's still available.

Folks are going crazy on this deal lol. We had to sign for another rack to be installed yesterday because of how many people have jumped on this deal <3

Hahaha are you suggesting I need to go crazier? :D

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • edited January 14

@lewellyn said:

@abtdw said:
    Ah Getting very nice suggestions and ideas here. Newbie here, I am not that aware of server GPU's. I see that there is a PCIe slot. Any GPU suggestions guys? That is good but cheap enough and can fit into this beauty. My usecase is to learn/do hobby projects with AI/LLM. Is it possible?

If you were intent on a GPU, I'd suggest nothing beefier than maybe a Quadro P400. 1U servers, in general, tend to be poor choices for GPU workloads. And Nvidia consumer cards are nothing but hassle in any server type application that is well-suited to a 1U anyhow IMO.

Honestly, if this is your first foray into server GPUs, I'd recommend not going with a 1U. You're going to have a lot more luck finding GPUs that take 2-3 slots, which is literally impossible to happen with these machines.

However, for CPU-based AI stuff, these are probably reasonable choices since you can get them up to a total of 24 cores/48 threads (across both CPU dies) at up to 3.5 GHz (e.g. E5-2697 v2).

But be aware the E5-2600 series CPUs are quite strange beasts when your goal is to push them hard. For example, the per-core turbo speed throttling curve is different on like every model in the series, so it's very much a case of figuring out your workload and what will give the best performance for yourself. The difference can be up to 25% or so in the outlier cases I was figuring out for myself. (If you're not gonna regularly hit more than like 50% per core simultaneously across all cores at once, it's all academic.)

If that sounds like more than you want to deal with, just upgrade to one of the faster 10 or 12 core CPUs: E5-2670 v2, E5-2680 v2, E5-2690 v2, E5-2696 v2, E5-2697 v2 (if one model is significantly cheaper than the others, just go with a pair of those and don't stress). For workloads where 8 cores is sufficient, the E5-2687W v2 is a fantastic choice. BUT it's a 150W TDP part so I don't think you'd be able to get away with a GPU as well. I don't know how beefy the PSU is in these things, honestly. That's a @jonbeard question for sure. (I also don't know what the PSU upgrade options look like... I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet!)

Does the server has enough power to run slot-powered RTX A2000? I think it's around 70W TDP. It's dual slots though so not sure if it'll fit.

• @neurostimulant said:

@lewellyn said:

@abtdw said:

Does the server has enough power to run slot-powered RTX A2000? I think it's around 70W TDP. It's dual slots though so not sure if it'll fit.

1U servers are basically too small for any 2-slot GPU: the gpu is about 3.5 cm tall while the server (including the case!) is only a bit over 4 cm.

As you can see from this image of the rear of the case, the space where the second slot could possibly be is smaller than a second slot. (and that's not accounting for the motherboard and its standoffs that reduce the internal space further)

I suggested the Quadro P400 as it's only a 30W card. Even 30W is kind of pushing the power, depending on the CPUs you've got installed.

Thanked by 1neurostimulant

Lots of very good, high quality discussions in this thread!

I confirmed the size of the power supplies in here are 400w. The model number of the power supplies are Delta Electronics DPS-400AB-17

Hopefully this helps! I will share similar concerns about PCI clearance with this being a 1u, and it being an E-ATX mobo. There is not much room. You may have 3-4 inches at most for clearance with the PCI riser.

Thanked by 2lewellyn k4zz

@meditatingsurgeon said:

Hi @jonbeard and @BreezeHost_Ryan. Thanks for this great and novel deal! I picked up a server and additional IPs. I was wondering if it would be possible to mount the Proxmox version 8 ISO when the server is delivered. I see that PVE 6 and 7 are available for selection already.

Hi @jonbeard - my order number is 3121637920. Many thanks :smiley:

I have updated your order to be for Proxmox 8

Thanked by 1meditatingsurgeon
  • @jonbeard said: I have updated your order to be for Proxmox 8

Thank you - very much looking forward to it :smile:

• BTW, in regards to GPU, I use one of these in my "luggage sized Plex server" (it's an old SFF Dell OptiPlex with a buncha disks and a Blu-Ray drive): PNY Quadro P400 (non-aff)

They are suitable for Handbrake, and as I understand it they're the minimum possible choice for things like PyTorch and Nvidia Container Runtimes. They're basically a Quadro version of the 1050. For "I must have a GPU", like the 1050 they're just barely good enough for most tasks. Which makes them a great hobbyist choice for the price. :) You're not going to be the next ChatGPT at $80, but you can definitely work on your skills.

If you must have a GPU, this is probably the one I'd go with. I landed on a P400 for the key reasons one would choose one for a 1U server: single slot and low power. There are other options I'd consider but they start at around $500 and go into the thousands, as they're designed for headless server use.

I would be slightly concerned about airflow since it's not passively cooled. But I suspect that things would still work just fine.

I would also be concerned about IPMI working right if an add-on GPU is installed. But I also suspect that's a solvable problem. Probably worth asking them if they know of any appropriate BIOS settings you should use when you're getting the shipping info.

Thanked by 1abtdw
  • @stefeman said:

@SinSiXX said:

@ItsAsylum said:

Fucking RIP lol

This reply has bothered me... It's not entirely fair. Their rack rates are extremely competitive and fair. And shipping a server is gonna cost about the same whether you go with this or some random thing you find on eBay.

This gets you a fantastic deal on a server you own (for less than the price of a dedi rental's monthly fee), a minimum requirement of 6 months of rack space at a good price (way cheaper than any dedi rental worth getting), they'll soup up the machine with whatever you send down (at a very very fair price), and you're going to be located with a bunch of fellow enthusiasts you can compare notes with. If/when you ever decide to move the server to a new facility, you've already come out ahead.

From just the sheer dollar standpoint, this is an amazing deal. From the standpoint of all the intangibles, this is a deal that's hard to pass up for the right people. And for me, it was literally impossible to say no to: I sent the details to a coworker when I first saw the post and his reply was "how many did you get?"

Sure, if you get enough to fill a half-cab, the deal might not be quite as attractive versus your local datacenter. But, let's be honest, most people are likely buying onesie/twosie type orders. (I'm not expecting @jonbeard to confirm/deny, as that's a competitive secret, but I've been around a while and am not expecting most people on LET to order a half-dozen or more, even though that's still a pretty awesome deal.)

Myself, am I going to end up moving to a local datacenter? Perhaps eventually, if/when I get tired of having machines scattered about or I decide I need them local enough to have pings as if they're on my LAN. But I'm getting ~30ms pings to Charlotte from halfway across the country, and 100ms from Germany, which is good enough for me. And BreezeHost seems to be a decent place to have the servers in general, so no real motivation to worry about moving them even after the 6 months is up.

My one real complaint so far is no native IPv4. But they're close enough to HE's Ashburn tunnel broker that I don't mind too much. HE's very well routed and I end up with ~10ms shaved off my ping from Europe via IPv6. I'd rather have that than "we offer IPv6 on paper, but it's not a core competency yet." As this is a "bring your own upgrades" type of deal, I also suspect they're amenable to BYOIP and thus there's probably a way to make it work with your own IPv6 block. So I don't hold "you get one IPv4, and the price to get 5 is still cheaper than our standard 1U rate, but no IPv6" against them on this deal at all.

Thanked by 3SinV jonbeard Oldschool

Just wanted to update the thread. I have created provisioning tickets for all the folks that have ordered in Charlotte. All hardware upgrades were also included in the email as well, for those who were lucky enough to receive free upgrades.

You guys went crazy on this offer and we have had to order additional rack space! WOW! I am doing all the hard stuff ahead of time however, and we will be staging a rack with all the equipment in it and ready to go, so once the facility has our power/cross connect done, we will roll our rack into place, hook up the juice and off we go to OS installations!

Thanks everyone for your love and support.

**WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR A LITTLE WHILE LONGER! Get it before it goes out! **

• @jonbeard said: Thanks everyone for your love and support.

• Thank you @Breezehost, @jonbeard for your professionalism and keeping us updated! Looking forward to the server :smiley:
    Thanked by 1jonbeard

@meditatingsurgeon said:

@jonbeard said: Thanks everyone for your love and support.

• Thank you @Breezehost, @jonbeard for your professionalism and keeping us updated! Looking forward to the server :smiley:

Just for confirmation @Breezehost is some knockoff brand that has horrible reviews (BreezeHost.net) that isn’t affiliated with BreezeHost.io . I think @DP should let us take over that username since I think the former owner of that account was banned 🤣

I’ve long wanted this username to make sure there’s no confusion about the quality of service we provide. That’s one bad thing about having a name that other TLDs exist for lol.

But nonetheless, thank you! We look forward to working with you!

Thanked by 1meditatingsurgeon
  • @jonbeard said:

@meditatingsurgeon said:

@jonbeard said: Thanks everyone for your love and support.

Just for confirmation @Breezehost is some knockoff brand that has horrible reviews (BreezeHost.net) that isn’t affiliated with BreezeHost.io . I think @DP should let us take over that username since I think the former owner of that account was banned 🤣

I’ve long wanted this username to make sure there’s no confusion about the quality of service we provide. That’s one bad thing about having a name that other TLDs exist for lol.

But nonetheless, thank you! We look forward to working with you!

I definitely didn't want to bring it up, but most of my hesitation for BF was remembering that user... I did my due diligence to be fairly certain you're not related, and I'm glad I didn't just get scared off. :)

Also, naming is always hard.

• @jonbeard - thanks for an effortless setup process (i.e. none!) - I can confirm Proxmox 8 is installed and ready to go! Many thanks for the communications and this excellent offer!

Thanked by 1BreezeHost_Ryan
  • IPv4/IPv6 : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:

ISP : BreezeHost
    ASN : AS400810 BreezeHost
    Host : Cogent communications - IPENG

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/sda2):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 110.06 MB/s (27.5k) 170.38 MB/s (2.6k)
    Write 110.35 MB/s (27.5k) 171.28 MB/s (2.6k)
    Total 220.42 MB/s (55.1k) 341.66 MB/s (5.3k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 219.92 MB/s (429) 234.33 MB/s (228)
    Write 231.60 MB/s (452) 249.94 MB/s (244)
    Total 451.53 MB/s (881) 484.27 MB/s (472)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider Location (Link) Send Speed Recv Speed Ping
    Clouvider London, UK (10G) 636 Mbits/sec 315 Mbits/sec 96.7 ms
    Scaleway Paris, FR (10G) busy busy 106 ms
    NovoServe North Holland, NL (40G) 641 Mbits/sec 654 Mbits/sec 103 ms
    Uztelecom Tashkent, UZ (10G) 557 Mbits/sec 193 Mbits/sec 197 ms
    Clouvider NYC, NY, US (10G) 668 Mbits/sec 646 Mbits/sec 28.7 ms
    Clouvider Dallas, TX, US (10G) 669 Mbits/sec 712 Mbits/sec 32.3 ms
    Clouvider Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) 645 Mbits/sec 500 Mbits/sec 62.5 ms

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 445
    Multi Core | 795
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/4559562

YABS completed in 22 min 33 sec

• Above are the YABS from a 8GB 2C VPS created from the Dedi using a Proxmox 8 hypervisor. All in all - I am really pleased with this purchase and is one of the best offers i have seen on LET - thank you @jonbeard and @BreezeHost_Ryan - you must have been working through the night on Sunday/Monday morning to get these servers up and running.

Thanked by 1jonbeard

@meditatingsurgeon said:
    Above are the YABS from a 8GB 2C VPS created from the Dedi using a Proxmox 8 hypervisor. All in all - I am really pleased with this purchase and is one of the best offers i have seen on LET - thank you @jonbeard and @BreezeHost_Ryan - you must have been working through the night on Sunday/Monday morning to get these servers up and running.

Happy to see that you are enjoying it my friend!

There are still a few left available in Charlotte! I am heading out to Nashville today and will be back Sunday to rack anymore of these on Monday. As always, we look forward to serving each of the LET members!!