Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[BF2023] Why Rent, When You Can OWN?! $50 DUAL E5 SERVERS + COLOCATION SALE! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[BF2023] Why Rent, When You Can OWN?! $50 DUAL E5 SERVERS + COLOCATION SALE!

Comments

• jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:
    I guess I have to wait till the next Black Friday.

$50 One Time (hardware purchase fee) + $39/mo colocation. Due today: $89/mo. Every month after first payment, only $39/mo will be due!

Current discount code is: $49/mo colocation.

Colo in Charlotte is the 39$ option. We have fixed this on the website. Dallas will be $49. Website is corrected. Apologies for confusion.

Thanked by 1Stevie
  • @jonbeard said: Colo in Charlotte is the 39$ option. We have fixed this on the website. Dallas will be $49. Website is corrected. Apologies for confusion.

Oh, I wish I had known that before placing my order. Is it possible to change it to Charlotte?

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • BreezeHost_RyanBreezeHost_Ryan Member, Host Rep

@eezcloud said:

@jonbeard said: Colo in Charlotte is the 39$ option. We have fixed this on the website. Dallas will be $49. Website is corrected. Apologies for confusion.

Oh, I wish I had known that before placing my order. Is it possible to change it to Charlotte?

Of course! Whats your order #? Ill get that adjusted and refunded back (or credit if you want your choice)

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Nice - grabbed one!

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • @BreezeHost_Ryan said: Whats your order #?

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Sweet got two more. Let's just say I was very pleased with what I got delivered last month :)

Now let's hope I don't eventually wish I got two more still! XD

@lewellyn said:
    Sweet got two more. Let's just say I was very pleased with what I got delivered last month :)

Now let's hope I don't eventually wish I got two more still! XD

You know where to find us if so!! ;)

Thanked by 1lewellyn

@eezcloud said:

@BreezeHost_Ryan said: Whats your order #?

Got you swapped to Charlotte. Did you want the $10 difference refunded or added to the account credit?

• @BreezeHost_Ryan said: Got you swapped to Charlotte. Did you want the $10 difference refunded or added to the account credit?

Add it to account credit. Thanks.

Thanked by 1BreezeHost_Ryan

@eezcloud said:

@BreezeHost_Ryan said: Got you swapped to Charlotte. Did you want the $10 difference refunded or added to the account credit?

Add it to account credit. Thanks.

Done and Done B)

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Ne0xNe0x Member

Coupon has expired. Will there be a stock?

@Ne0x said:
    Coupon has expired. Will there be a stock?

@jonbeard said:
    NEW PROMO CODE: LETHYVE
    https://my.breezehost.io/store/specials/hyve-zeus

Make sure to use the new code for this new sale.

Thanked by 2Ne0x jonbeard
  • @jonbeard said: If there is enough interest, we will roll out another sale.

i got 2, maybe the other location?

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Thanks boss! What about cpu/ram/disk upgrades? How much they will cost? ;)

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • I'll buy on 14-15th day in Charlotte if still available.

• @BilohBucks said:
    Thanks boss! What about cpu/ram/disk upgrades? How much they will cost? ;)

This is very much a "send hardware to the DC and make the server literally your own" type situation :D See the first page of the thread for their fees on that.

In the not too distant future, I'm gonna be opening a ticket to find out where to send a buncha stuff and I'll be doing precisely that: massive CPU/RAM/disk upgrades and some PCIe cards.

@lewellyn said:

@BilohBucks said:
    Thanks boss! What about cpu/ram/disk upgrades? How much they will cost? ;)

This is very much a "send hardware to the DC and make the server literally your own" type situation :D See the first page of the thread for their fees on that.

In the not too distant future, I'm gonna be opening a ticket to find out where to send a buncha stuff and I'll be doing precisely that: massive CPU/RAM/disk upgrades and some PCIe cards.

This is correct :)

Remote hands fees will apply for replacing parts. Our remote hands is $75/hr billed in 15 min increments.

If you have any questions about this let me know.

• I'm starting to think that Jon doesn't sleep btw. 4am replies on LET? :D

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Yes, I know. However if they have bunch of unused hardware, it would be cheaper than buying from ali/ebay :)

@lewellyn said:
    I'm starting to think that Jon doesn't sleep btw. 4am replies on LET? :D

LOL, sleep?! What is that? 🤣 You guys are way more exciting than sleeping!

@BilohBucks said:
    Yes, I know. However if they have bunch of unused hardware, it would be cheaper than buying from ali/ebay :)

I do have a surplus of CPUs and some RAM that I can probably come off of. Shoot me a message on our Discord or put in a ticket once you order and next time I’m in the datacenter, I’ll check my inventory and let you know what I have and can do in Charlotte.

Thanked by 1lewellyn
  • @BilohBucks said:
    Yes, I know. However if they have bunch of unused hardware, it would be cheaper than buying from ali/ebay :)

Heh I was kinda wondering that earlier: what even happens to all the replaced parts? I doubt they have much in the way of CPU upgrades. But surely they have a pile of assorted RAM starting to accumulate, at the least.

• Nice offer

• What's the bay size and capacity on these Jon ? I apologise if it's in the thread I just couldn't find it

@jackalblood said:
    What's the bay size and capacity on these Jon ? I apologise if it's in the thread I just couldn't find it

Hey there - You can fit 2x2.5" drives in these.

• lewellynlewellyn Member
    edited January 11

@jackalblood said:
    What's the bay size and capacity on these Jon ? I apologise if it's in the thread I just couldn't find it

Not directly applicable to the question, but if you're considering this deal to soup the systems up, I'd highly recommend looking at pictures and videos of the inside and reading various reviews of the Hyve Zeus V1 servers. They're great for the right people/workloads but they're 1U servers so they come with a list of caveats as every 1U server does. And some of the stuff around the web has some pretty clever upgrades people have done considering the systems are best described as "old dual-processor Xeons with 8 RAM slots, dual 2.5" SATA, and a PCIe slot" which isn't something with a lot to work with, on the surface (and realistically, it isn't all that much to work with at all).

One thing you might want to consider if you want more storage is to put a multi-SATA-M.2 card (one that has its own SATA controller and doesn't require wiring to the mobo) into the PCIe slot. Low-cost 2TB M.2 SATA SSDs are under $100 now. The only reliable 4TB SATA I know of is about $300.

So with those dual-M.2-SATA PCIe cards being dirt cheap these days, you're looking at just about $200 to get an additional 4TB into a fairly storage-unfriendly system (at the expense of losing the slot for other things). Not a bad deal, in honesty.

I still can't confirm with certainty if these things do PCIe bifurcation. And I haven't yet gotten around to sending down a spare bifurcated card with a couple SSDs on it to have them install for me to find out.

But if they do, that opens up options like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quad-M-2-NVMe-PCIe-16x-Adapter-RIITOP-4-Port-SSD-Slot-Converter-PCI-e-4-0-x16-Host-Controller-Expansion-Card-Adaptor-High-Speed-4x32Gbps-For-M-Key-PC/2621680536 (a non-bifurcated version is a couple hundred bucks; and in the end, these are the sort of thing that are either going to work out of the box or not so going "reasonably cheap" isn't a bad thing).

With 4TB of NVMe being ~$200 on the absolute low end, you could totally feasibly shove 16TB of NVMe into one of these for well under a grand, including shipping and remote hands, if they supported such cards.

And honestly, that's a lot of the appeal of these servers for me and probably others: there are some definite constraints to the machines but also the potential for a ton of opportunity to make them greater (yet very use-case-specific) than most people would assume they were capable of. For low end tinkering and some DIY personal hosting type stuff? The deal is really amazing.

Thanked by 3iKeyZ jonbeard abtdw
  • @lewellyn said:

@jackalblood said:

Not directly applicable to the question, but if you're considering this deal to soup the systems up, I'd highly recommend looking at pictures and videos of the inside and reading various reviews of the Hyve Zeus V1 servers. They're great for the right people/workloads but they're 1U servers so they come with a list of caveats as every 1U server does. And some of the stuff around the web has some pretty clever upgrades people have done considering the systems are best described as "old dual-processor Xeons with 8 RAM slots, dual 2.5" SATA, and a PCIe slot" which isn't something with a lot to work with, on the surface (and realistically, it isn't all that much to work with at all).

One thing you might want to consider if you want more storage is to put a multi-SATA-M.2 card (one that has its own SATA controller and doesn't require wiring to the mobo) into the PCIe slot. Low-cost 2TB M.2 SATA SSDs are under $100 now. The only reliable 4TB SATA I know of is about $300.

So with those dual-M.2-SATA PCIe cards being dirt cheap these days, you're looking at just about $200 to get an additional 4TB into a fairly storage-unfriendly system (at the expense of losing the slot for other things). Not a bad deal, in honesty.

I still can't confirm with certainty if these things do PCIe bifurcation. And I haven't yet gotten around to sending down a spare bifurcated card with a couple SSDs on it to have them install for me to find out.

But if they do, that opens up options like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quad-M-2-NVMe-PCIe-16x-Adapter-RIITOP-4-Port-SSD-Slot-Converter-PCI-e-4-0-x16-Host-Controller-Expansion-Card-Adaptor-High-Speed-4x32Gbps-For-M-Key-PC/2621680536 (a non-bifurcated version is a couple hundred bucks; and in the end, these are the sort of thing that are either going to work out of the box or not so going "reasonably cheap" isn't a bad thing).

With 4TB of NVMe being ~$200 on the absolute low end, you could totally feasibly shove 16TB of NVMe into one of these for well under a grand, including shipping and remote hands, if they supported such cards.

And honestly, that's a lot of the appeal of these servers for me and probably others: there are some definite constraints to the machines but also the potential for a ton of opportunity to make them greater (yet very use-case-specific) than most people would assume they were capable of. For low end tinkering and some DIY personal hosting type stuff? The deal is really amazing.

Honestly this is a much better option then finding 8TB in 2.5 4x2 probably and the deal is amazing but given my geological location is in the UK the investment from me might not be the wisest. The idea was to have off site backup that eventually I'd have in my hands.

@jackalblood said:

@lewellyn said:

@jackalblood said:

Honestly this is a much better option then finding 8TB in 2.5 4x2 probably and the deal is amazing but given my geological location is in the UK the investment from me might not be the wisest. The idea was to have off site backup that eventually I'd have in my hands.

International shipping on anything this size might be a challenge. But if crap hits the fan and you need the physical drive with you instead of the whole server, we would be happy to just mail you the drive itself and keep the server online. You’re also more than welcome to resell the server as well and we can transfer ownership.

Just a couple of ideas to bounce around.

• @jackalblood said:

@lewellyn said:

@jackalblood said:

Some more food for thought: There are two 2.5" bays. If you're not looking to RAID-1 (or similar) them, you could use one as bulk storage in addition. A 5TB Seagate Barracuda is the best bang for the buck at under $150 from various sellers (Amazon, for example). For comparison, 2.5" SSDs start at about $200 for a 4TB (Newegg this time, to not show favoritism).

In theory, one could totally get a decent amount of SSD storage and a good few terabytes of slower spinning rust bulk storage in one of these things.

Again, these are great tinker toys to think through the challenges and solve them on. :)

Thanked by 1abtdw
  • abtdwabtdw Member

Ah Getting very nice suggestions and ideas here. Newbie here, I am not that aware of server GPU's. I see that there is a PCIe slot. Any GPU suggestions guys? That is good but cheap enough and can fit into this beauty. My usecase is to learn/do hobby projects with AI/LLM. Is it possible?

@abtdw said:
    Ah Getting very nice suggestions and ideas here. Newbie here, I am not that aware of server GPU's. I see that there is a PCIe slot. Any GPU suggestions guys? That is good but cheap enough and can fit into this beauty. My usecase is to learn/do hobby projects with AI/LLM. Is it possible?

There is most likely not enough PSU to give enough juice to power a GPU. I would advise against this most likely, without upgrading your PSU

Thanked by 1abtdw