Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Black Friday 2023 - Email hosting that spammers crave (but can't have) - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Black Friday 2023 - Email hosting that spammers crave (but can't have)

Comments

• @cochon said:

@jar said:

@DataRecovery said: AFAIK, deleting attachment, but keeping the corresponding message is an issue for at least some email services

I don't even know how you do that. Most people think of attachments as some separate thing, not realizing it's simply part of the body of the email that the email client displays as something more significant than the wall of text it really is.

Most also don't realize the message is just a file stored in a mail oriented backend store e.g. maildir for dovecot. The files (messages) can be simply rewritten without the attachment part(s).

Claws mail has a plugin for doing just that, which I occasionally use when people send me unreasonably large attachments, it's always worked with dovecot, so I guess won't have side effects in MXRoute.

Intrigued by this post, I tried using it in gmail, and end up with 2 views of the message, IMAP view sees the message without the attachment, gmail's web interface remains with the attachment. Though gmail's IMAP interface is clearly just an alternate reality 'view' on their own backend.

Apple's Mac Mail program has the ability to remove attachments natively as well. Select the message to view it, go to the "Message" menu, then select the bottom item in the menu to "Remove Attachments". Works great. Have been using it for years.

• @muddy said:
    Apple's Mac Mail program has the ability to remove attachments natively as well. Select the message to view it, go to the "Message" menu, then select the bottom item in the menu to "Remove Attachments". Works great. Have been using it for years.

Can Apple's Mac Mail access any POP3/IMAP account -- and remove attachments from messages in any general email account?

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said:

@josephf said:
    1. Does MXRoute ignore dots in addresses (so that it is the same with or without)?

1. What are the URL/web addresses for all the available webmail interfaces?

💜

1. We’d do default exim behavior there. I believe it would treat the dot normally as part of an address and doesn’t drop it. We do ignore + though, so user+string@ goes to user@.

2. Per server hostname we have /webmail for Roundcube, /snappy for Snappy. That works for all servers we have mail.mxlogin.com and webmail.mxroute.com.

I’m calling webmail.mxroute.com “beta” quality in that it’s me trying to build my perfect Roundcube instance. It dynamically chooses the back end server by login domain, using its MX records, so the MX for a login domain has to point to one of our servers or it’ll fail. It’s the only webmail we have with that limitation.

1. I was under the impression that plus addressing (in the sense that anything after the plus is treated as part of the same email account) is a Google invention, not a RFC/general internet standard (exim?). Similarly, I understood that it was Google that came up with the idea that the existence of a dot in the address or the lack of a dot in the address, will both be treated as the same email account destination. As plus addressing became popular and non-Google providers copied the concept, I think the dot/lack of dot idea also picked up traction outside of Google.

2. Per server /webmail and webmail.mxroute.com look almost the same. The main difference I notice is /webmail has a left sidebar with various feature access, whereas webmail.mxroute.com has a right sidebar with different features accessible. A filter made in one of them shows up in both of them. I read an old forum comment by you somewhere that filters in Roundcube (I forget which one of these two Roundcube versions that you specified but both seem to share filters) is the highest level to place a filter directly on the mail server.

Regarding Snappy, Per server /snappy and mail.mxlogin.com almost seem completely different interfaces.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that you offer Crossbox webmail and a fourth option (I forget which.)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @sycot said:
    is there a guide for how I would host my own email to receive and then use mxroute for sending?

@Daniel15 wrote about it, check his blog.

Thanked by 1sycot
  • @josephf said:

@muddy said:

Can Apple's Mac Mail access any POP3/IMAP account -- and remove attachments from messages in any general email account?

Yes, any POP/IMAP account will work in Mail, and you can remove attachments on any email that you can view in Mail.

• @muddy said:

@josephf said:

@muddy said:

Yes, any POP/IMAP account will work in Mail, and you can remove attachments on any email that you can view in Mail.

Would deleting Gmail attachments with Mac Mail avoid the problem mentioned by someone on the previous page of this thread regarding deleting Gmail attachments?

• @josephf said:

@muddy said:

@josephf said:

@muddy said:

Would deleting Gmail attachments with Mac Mail avoid the problem mentioned by someone on the previous page of this thread regarding deleting Gmail attachments?

Can't say for sure (haven't really followed the other issue).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@josephf said: I was under the impression that plus addressing (in the sense that anything after the plus is treated as part of the same email account) is a Google invention, not a RFC/general internet standard (exim?). Similarly, I understood that it was Google that came up with the idea that the existence of a dot in the address or the lack of a dot in the address, will both be treated as the same email account destination. As plus addressing became popular and non-Google providers copied the concept, I think the dot/lack of dot idea also picked up traction outside of Google.

I probably could have separated those two parts to be more clear:

"We’d do default exim behavior there. I believe it would treat the dot normally as part of an address and doesn’t drop it."

+

"We do ignore + though, so user+string@ goes to user@."

We do default behavior as it relates to any dot in an address, but we do have added config to handle the plus aliasing.

@josephf said: Per server /webmail and webmail.mxroute.com look almost the same. The main difference I notice is /webmail has a left sidebar with various feature access, whereas webmail.mxroute.com has a right sidebar with different features accessible. A filter made in one of them shows up in both of them. I read an old forum comment by you somewhere that filters in Roundcube (I forget which one of these two Roundcube versions that you specified but both seem to share filters) is the highest level to place a filter directly on the mail server.

Identical in that they're both Roundcube, but webmail.mxroute.com has CalDAV, a cool signature builder, lots of cool stuff. Indeed they both access sieve over port 4190 for filters, which are the ones read by Dovecot.

• Order #1634318085

Thanked by 1jar
  • Down again? Many incidents recently.....

edited December 2023

@Smilence said:
    Down again? Many incidents recently.....

Just one server but yeah, welcome to my hell.

• Small Plan is no more? When it will be available?

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

@FaBMak said:
    Small Plan is no more? When it will be available?

🤔 November 2024.

• Does MXRoute accept requests to separate two plans on one account so that they're on separate accounts?

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@JosephF said:
    Does MXRoute accept requests to separate two plans on one account so that they're on separate accounts?

Generally no, but a ticket to support to ask with full details never hurts. But what are you calling an 'account'?

• @alento said:

@JosephF said:
    Does MXRoute accept requests to separate two plans on one account so that they're on separate accounts?

Generally no, but a ticket to support to ask with full details never hurts. But what are you calling an 'account'?

An account meaning on separate DirectAdmin accounts (using a second email address for the second account login.)

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@JosephF said:

@alento said:

@JosephF said:

An account meaning on separate DirectAdmin accounts (using a second email address for the second account login.)

Well, accounts on DirectAdmin do not use email for login, so you must be referring to a separate billing portal account.

Like I said, a ticket to support never hurts.

• @alento said:
    Like I said, a ticket to support never hurts.

That's not true. It can hurt if you're breaking rules. lol

Thanked by 1jar
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

If separating a plan into a new billing portal account isn't supported, I suppose it might be better to initially setup a second plan on a separate billing account.

• edited December 2023

@JosephF said:

@muddy said:

@josephf said:

@muddy said:

While i'm not 100% certain about IMAP i can tell you that at least for POP3 it'll only work locally as there is no functionality to get the edited message (that's what an eMail with attachments stripped really is) back on the server. Like @jar said eMail + attachments is really just one huge blob of text and in-place-editing it is not supported by the protocols, so it needs to be downloaded, edited and (in theory) uploaded again which is where this is likely to fail due missing support for such an action.

Thanked by 1jar

@totally_not_banned said:

@JosephF said:

@muddy said:

@josephf said:

@muddy said:

While i'm not 100% certain about IMAP i can tell you that at least for POP3 it'll only work locally as there is no functionality to get the edited message (that's what an eMail with attachments stripped really is) back on the server. Like @jar said eMail + attachments is really just one huge blob of text and in-place-editing it is not supported by the protocols, so it needs to be downloaded, edited and (in theory) uploaded again which is where this is likely to fail due missing support for such an action.

IMAP does have a function for email clients to write data back to the server. The same function an IMAP client uses to write a sent message back to a sent folder. So the protocol would have what you’d need to handle the rest on the client software side. Don’t think POP3 has that though like you said. But my fear with any application doing that is that it would have edge cases in which it parsed an email incorrectly and caused data loss.

• edited December 2023

@jar said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@JosephF said:

@muddy said:

@josephf said:

@muddy said:

IMAP does have a function for email clients to write data back to the server. The same function an IMAP client uses to write a sent message back to a sent folder. So the protocol would have what you’d need to handle the rest on the client software side. Don’t think POP3 has that though like you said. But my fear with any application doing that is that it would have edge cases in which it parsed an email incorrectly and caused data loss.

Interesting. Yeah, IMAP is not my strong side as i've never really used it (i'm planning to do so since syncing my sylpheed directory is getting on my nerves but when that will materialize is written in the stars...). I've always thought it would use kind of a move-like command to, well, move eMails between folders but if there is an actual store command manipulating the message would obviously be possible but as you say it's a bit scary in a couple ways. I kind of wonder how many people are going to strip those stupid html attachments just to find out they don't have any actual eMail anymore ;)

• Sweet deals, thanks. Just cancelled two black friday / cyber monday deals from 2019 few months ago. This time I snagged the medium package.
    @jar any chance we see the small package back in stock?
    Maybe even a $25/5yrs one? :smile:
    I am not afraid of long term tho it might compete with the 5g lifetime deal then.

• Hi @jar is there any chance the discount price will be available? it would be great if I can grab 10gb / 15$

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 5

How many different webmail interfaces options are available?

• tsofttsoft Member

is it still a case?

https://mxroutedocs.com/presales/nospamfilter/

If just disable SpamAssassin, would you use a global one?

Need to receive all possible spam.

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

@tsoft said: Need to receive all possible spam.

Use own email server just to receive emails.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

M$ and Proofpoint are known for this sadly.
    If the recipients want your email, the best bet is to ask them to contact their ESP with the proof of delivery log. If not, you probably shouldn't be contacting them anyway.

Accepting a message for delivery and then blackholing it to some administrator-only quarantine panel that nobody has the time to look at is just poor/lazy email practice. Recipients look at their junk folder and not seeing the message there would naturally think the issue is with the sender.

Pavin.