Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Black Friday 2023 - Email hosting that spammers crave (but can't have) - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Black Friday 2023 - Email hosting that spammers crave (but can't have)

Comments

• @jar said:

@josephf said:

@jar said:

@tsoft said:

@josephf said:
    What other Google products that are connected to Gmail do they use?

Will be offtop for this thread :D and generally, let's not discuss it.

But I recently contacted jar and he may block this kind of spam. He already made preventive blocks, but maybe will block universally.

It's not a secret:

https://support.google.com/groups/thread/115110019/i-m-getting-spam-email-from-google-groups-on-an-address-of-mine-that-is-not-even-connected-to-google?hl=en

And no industry-wide solution despite the passage of so much time?

The comments there seem to be saying it isn't originating from Google's systems but rather from a domain using Google's name.

That comment on there was misinformed

Can't block Google, can't block Google groups, can't filter content that rapidly changes

Any speculation why Google doesn't crack down?

Thanked by 1tsoft
  • @josephf said:

This is a very good question that no one can answer.

The only guess - too lazy.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@josephf said:

@jar said:

@josephf said:

@jar said:

@tsoft said:

@josephf said:
    What other Google products that are connected to Gmail do they use?

Will be offtop for this thread :D and generally, let's not discuss it.

But I recently contacted jar and he may block this kind of spam. He already made preventive blocks, but maybe will block universally.

It's not a secret:

https://support.google.com/groups/thread/115110019/i-m-getting-spam-email-from-google-groups-on-an-address-of-mine-that-is-not-even-connected-to-google?hl=en

And no industry-wide solution despite the passage of so much time?

The comments there seem to be saying it isn't originating from Google's systems but rather from a domain using Google's name.

That comment on there was misinformed

Can't block Google, can't block Google groups, can't filter content that rapidly changes

It's possible that they do, but at their scale it can be hard to have enough resources dedicated to it that can combat the huge number of people out there constantly trying to exploit your services. You have to get it with process or automation, and if those aren't good enough then it's human v human and then it's a never ending battle.

Thanked by 1tsoft
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Keep up the good work @jar

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:
    It's possible that they do, but at their scale

It seems like at that exact department the staff is low quality and hard to reach execs. Maybe they plan to sunset this project in future, so do not support it as needed.

Thanked by 1jar
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

One aspect of MXRoute's pricing scheme that I don't understand very well is the storage quota aspect. It seems that in the email hosting market, both by the small/medium players as well as by the larger firms, that the most common pricing structure is setting storage quotas per mailbox rather than per customer account.

Now I don't have any qualms about counting storage allocations account-wide rather than per mailbox. In fact, I think it makes more sense this way, from a pricing perspective. What is harder to understand is that the actual account-wide quotas at MXRoute are roughly the same as most other providers allocate per mailbox. At the small and medium focused Email hosting providers (i.e. excluding Google and Microsoft) the general cost is about $1 per month, per mailbox. And it generally includes about 10GB storage, per mailbox. That works out, more or less, to $12 a year for 10GB. Yet, over here, in order to get anywhere close to the amount of storage that has become pretty standardized in Email hosting (i.e. measured in GBs per mailbox) you'd have to splurge on one of the top tier plans here, that the effective cost will generally be significantly higher than $12/year per 10GB.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I was paying $10/yr, later $7.5/yr and now $5/3yr and got 100GB @7.5/yr but I only used 2+GB. If there is a need to store 10GB worth of data in mailbox, I would copy attachments out to reclaim the mail space. I have many domains hence a dozen email accounts and did a successful migration to new plan recently. Even introduce my friend to mxroute and we renewed BF2023 together. Am happy as customer since 1st invoice in 2016 @jar

Thanked by 2jar TODO

@josephf said:
    One aspect of MXRoute's pricing scheme that I don't understand very well is the storage quota aspect. It seems that in the email hosting market, both by the small/medium players as well as by the larger firms, that the most common pricing structure is setting storage quotas per mailbox rather than per customer account.

Now I don't have any qualms about counting storage allocations account-wide rather than per mailbox. In fact, I think it makes more sense this way, from a pricing perspective. What is harder to understand is that the actual account-wide quotas at MXRoute are roughly the same as most other providers allocate per mailbox. At the small and medium focused Email hosting providers (i.e. excluding Google and Microsoft) the general cost is about $1 per month, per mailbox. And it generally includes about 10GB storage, per mailbox. That works out, more or less, to $12 a year for 10GB. Yet, over here, in order to get anywhere close to the amount of storage that has become pretty standardized in Email hosting (i.e. measured in GBs per mailbox) you'd have to splurge on one of the top tier plans here, that the effective cost will generally be significantly higher than $12/year per 10GB.

Most of our customers have multiple email accounts and multiple domains, and they don’t use a lot of storage.

Thanked by 2TimRoo TODO
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said:

@josephf said:

Most of our customers have multiple email accounts and multiple domains, and they don’t use a lot of storage.

I would wonder if the larger storage users don't sign up because of the storage pricing.

@josephf said:

@jar said:

@josephf said:

I would wonder if the larger storage users don't sign up because of the storage pricing.

Our larger storage plans sell really well. They're a great deal with the unlimited domains and unlimited email accounts, especially for businesses running on a budget with a lot of team members. Even more so for organizations that aren't businesses or that make emails for their customers, etc.

• Any suggestions regarding how to train users used to accumulating very large amounts of storage in their free mailboxes from Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, to use more simple amounts of storage in their mailbox?

It is also interesting that the big email services not only offer something like 15GB per mailbox free off the bat, but they even see a need to offer additional space in increments starting at 100GB (and going up significantly in terms of space, from there.) Per mailbox.

So there's definitely a large need, or at least a use, out there of folks using significant amounts of storage space in each mailbox.

edited December 2023

@josephf said: Any suggestions regarding how to train users used to accumulating very large amounts of storage in their free mailboxes from Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, to use more simple amounts of storage in their mailbox?

Most don't have to be trained for it. Most people can't fill a 5GB inbox, despite receiving a ton of email. It's only with a ton of attachments that email climbs in size, and most people aren't receiving large attachments all of the time.

For years I've been turning away users with such large needs per inbox, and that means I've turned away less than 100 people. It's really not that many who have such large needs. If anything, some people just like to see large numbers because they don't know what they need. Even fewer actually need large storage.

Even with our large storage plans, most of the users purchasing it don't need it.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said:
    For years I've been turning away users with such large needs per inbox, and that means I've turned away less than 100 people.

Why not create a package for customers of such a profile (obviously taking into account your costs), instead of turning those customers away?

Especially considering the plummeting costs of storage.

@josephf said:

@jar said:
    For years I've been turning away users with such large needs per inbox, and that means I've turned away less than 100 people.

Why not create a package for customers of such a profile (obviously taking into account your costs), instead of turning those customers away?

Especially considering the plummeting costs of storage.

Our large storage plans cover the bulk of them. There's really no benefit to adjusting the business plan for a small number of potential users.

1. Does MXRoute ignore dots in addresses (so that it is the same with or without)?

2. What are the URL/web addresses for all the available webmail interfaces?

Thanked by 1jar

@josephf said:
    1. Does MXRoute ignore dots in addresses (so that it is the same with or without)?

1. What are the URL/web addresses for all the available webmail interfaces?

💜

1. We’d do default exim behavior there. I believe it would treat the dot normally as part of an address and doesn’t drop it. We do ignore + though, so user+string@ goes to user@.

2. Per server hostname we have /webmail for Roundcube, /snappy for Snappy. That works for all servers we have mail.mxlogin.com and webmail.mxroute.com.

I’m calling webmail.mxroute.com “beta” quality in that it’s me trying to build my perfect Roundcube instance. It dynamically chooses the back end server by login domain, using its MX records, so the MX for a login domain has to point to one of our servers or it’ll fail. It’s the only webmail we have with that limitation.

Thanked by 2loay JosephF
  • Interesting read for those who think "I will self-host" https://blog.lopp.net/death-of-decentralized-email/

Thanked by 1sycot
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

I'm actually considering getting this even tough it's hosted in the US.
    Self hosting and it works great but if something happens to me my family would potentially lose access.
    So, @jar if I get this and like it, can I prepay for like 3x3 years? Like add $100 in account funds?

@tomle said:
    I'm actually considering getting this even tough it's hosted in the US.
    Self hosting and it works great but if something happens to me my family would potentially lose access.
    So, @jar if I get this and like it, can I prepay for like 3x3 years? Like add $100 in account funds?

Absolutely

• @bustersg said:
    If there is a need to store 10GB worth of data in mailbox, I would copy attachments out to reclaim the mail space

Are you sure you'd be able to do that?

AFAIK, deleting attachment, but keeping the corresponding message is an issue for at least some email services (e.g. gmail for sure).

Some do not allow that and others do only with the changing sent/received date to now with other possible troubles related to that (broken threads, etc.).

However, I haven't managed to test this with MXroute yet (since 2017 :o )

@LTniger said:
    Interesting read for those who think "I will self-host" https://blog.lopp.net/death-of-decentralized-email/

This is true and very unfortunate.

Not only because of "an industry of middlemen grifters", but also because of the government agencies pressuring those companies.

I bet NSA & Co are at least eyeballing Mailchannels and other major players.

@DataRecovery said: AFAIK, deleting attachment, but keeping the corresponding message is an issue for at least some email services

I don't even know how you do that. Most people think of attachments as some separate thing, not realizing it's simply part of the body of the email that the email client displays as something more significant than the wall of text it really is.

• Did you provide any monitor that allows tracking email statuses?

@kainjinez said:
    Did you provide any monitor that allows tracking email statuses?

Not presently

(Some would say I do because of DirectAdmin's feature for it, but I prefer not to reference it as it isn't helpful to know that a successful delivery was made to our outbound filter)

Thanked by 1kainjinez
  • is there some kind of guide somewhere that details how to migrate from cpanel to directadmin?

• @cybertech said:
    is there some kind of guide somewhere that details how to migrate from cpanel to directadmin?

There is integrated IMAPSync from lamiral into DA. You create inboxes and than just sync.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • is there a guide for how I would host my own email to receive and then use mxroute for sending?

• I tested with a spare domain, and it was quite amazing with an important flag in Gmail.
    Just asking if the disk is running out of space, how can I choose what attachment should be cleared? I don't see any file manager (there is a file manager in "Communication" but it is empty), or do I have to trace each mail and delete each email if I want to delete that attachment? Thanks.

• @sycot said:
    is there a guide for how I would host my own email to receive and then use mxroute for sending?

1. set your MX record to your own server to receive emails (use docker mailcow or docker-mailserver if you're lazy)
    2. set your SMTP to use mxroute
    3. make sure your SPF and any other DNS record follows mxroute's docs (except MX records)
    4. ...
    5. profit
    Thanked by 1sycot
  • @ScreenReader said:

@sycot said:
    is there a guide for how I would host my own email to receive and then use mxroute for sending?

1. set your MX record to your own server to receive emails (use docker mailcow or docker-mailserver if you're lazy)
    2. set your SMTP to use mxroute
    3. make sure your SPF and any other DNS record follows mxroute's docs (except MX records)
    4. ...
    5. profit

hey, thanks! much appreciated. I figured it was simpler than I was making it in my head

• @jar said:

@DataRecovery said: AFAIK, deleting attachment, but keeping the corresponding message is an issue for at least some email services

I don't even know how you do that. Most people think of attachments as some separate thing, not realizing it's simply part of the body of the email that the email client displays as something more significant than the wall of text it really is.

Most also don't realize the message is just a file stored in a mail oriented backend store e.g. maildir for dovecot. The files (messages) can be simply rewritten without the attachment part(s).

Claws mail has a plugin for doing just that, which I occasionally use when people send me unreasonably large attachments, it's always worked with dovecot, so I guess won't have side effects in MXRoute.

Intrigued by this post, I tried using it in gmail, and end up with 2 views of the message, IMAP view sees the message without the attachment, gmail's web interface remains with the attachment. Though gmail's IMAP interface is clearly just an alternate reality 'view' on their own backend.