Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IncogNET's Pre-BF thread! 50% off 5Gbps Epyc KVM servers, some 2X BW, 2X disk, giveaways, and more! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IncogNET's Pre-BF thread! 50% off 5Gbps Epyc KVM servers, some 2X BW, 2X disk, giveaways, and more!

1235»

Comments

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited November 2023

@MannDude said:

@user123 said:
    wonders about a VPN giveaway

Will try to get some more work on things today. Lately just been trying to tune the DNS blocklists to degree, but my use case is limited. May do another short lived beta period for those with Smart TVs, who game, have smart devices, etc to see if the existing blocklists break stuff. I don't game, have zero smart devices in my home, haven't turned a TV on in probably 4 years, etc... So, I can't really say how well it works for anything other than what I do daily.

I know this feeling. The only satisfaction I can get is knowing that it was blocked before DNS and that's the fruits of my labor lol

I've set up DNS for quite a few folks around here (all of them non-tech savvy, very heavy media consumers, both mobile and TV, smart devices, etc...) and it's a complete crap shoot. The best implementation I've seen for dealing with all of this is NextDNS. Damn near perfect. The one thing (and possibly only thing) I could say it doesn't have is the ability to add your own custom blocklists but other than that (and the fact it's not self-hostable) it's perfect.

Add/Remove damn near any public available blacklist (via web form drop-down box) - whenever.
    Per-device granularity
    Whitelisting
    Ability to select where your logs are stored (if you even want to keep logs, by country)

There's so many killer features to list..but from my extensive testing, outside of the few generally "safe" lists, the one size fits all approach doesn't work very well. What works gangbusters for one person can just as easily be another person's antithesis.

Whatever the case may be, if there's something you might need feedback on or something, let me know. This sort of stuff is my jam.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited November 2023

Time to crash here a little bit...

Thanked by 1shruub
  • @MannDude said:

@user123 said:
    wonders about a VPN giveaway

Will try to get some more work on things today. Lately just been trying to tune the DNS blocklists to degree, but my use case is limited. May do another short lived beta period for those with Smart TVs, who game, have smart devices, etc to see if the existing blocklists break stuff. I don't game, have zero smart devices in my home, haven't turned a TV on in probably 4 years, etc... So, I can't really say how well it works for anything other than what I do daily.

You need some domain whitelists?

• Awesome deals!