Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BasedFlare - New Cloudflare-like service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BasedFlare - New Cloudflare-like service

treesmokahtreesmokah Member
edited June 2023 in General

Cloudflare alternative promising no MiTM (aka tls termination) unlikle cloudflare and pretty much all other WAF/CDN providers.

It also claims to provide total freedom of expression, and as we know Cloudflare does not keep their customers to this standard.

It looks extremely interesting imo, especially when its made by creator of https://gitgud.io/fatchan/haproxy-protection/, a pretty nice local L7 ddos-protection suite.

Prices look pretty expensive to offered bandwidth, but we'll see once the product is fully finished.

Check it out at; https://basedflare.com/

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

What a horrible name which immediately causes their customer base to be limited by ideological preferences. So much more potential to be had in being neutral. Of course if you're truly neutral it's only a matter of time before your wikipedia article calls you a "nazi sympathizer" because fuck people these days, but that can't be helped. Using "based" in your name, for a free speech service, will get you that same wikipedia article before your first customer even places an order.

• @jar said:
    What a horrible name which immediately causes their customer base to be limited by ideological preferences. So much more potential to be had in being neutral. Of course if you're truly neutral it's only a matter of time before your wikipedia article calls you a "nazi sympathizer" because fuck people these days, but that can't be helped. Using "based" in your name, for a free speech service, will get you that same wikipedia article before your first customer even places an order.

I agree. naming could be better. Keep in mind its a very early stage, maybe he will change it later on.

Thanked by 1jar
  • amarcamarc Veteran

LOL what ?

1. How is their network compared to Cloudflare ?
    2. Where is Free plan (one which is used by 70+ % of CF customers)
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Seems completely unfinished too.

The template hasn't been updated/finished as a load of the links at the bottom go no-where, the email doesn't exactly stand out as professional (at least IMO - "[email protected]") and the pricing seems high for what you get.

• Where is zero trust, where is free anycast dns with antyddos, where are workers?

• @jar said: What a horrible name

I'm with you on that. But I have to say, it's more favorable than kikeflare and fatpeople.

Thanked by 2jar sebkehl
  • kaitkait Member
    edited June 2023

@malignify said: I'm with you on that. But I have to say, it's more favorable than kikeflare and fatpeople.

I miss crimeflare.

Love the idea of more cloudflare alts and hope they change the name and improve everything. A small free tier would also be nice but they are a small company so can't expect that.

Thanked by 1let_rocks
  • VoidVoid Member

based.

Thanked by 1fatchan
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

It seems very pricey compared to Cloudflare, but guess all start somewhere, seems a bit mad to limit bandwidth on a CDN as its not the easiest to gauge what a site will use, will be interesting to see if they change there mind and pricing structure on things

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Zero trust anti ddos? So just a random wack-a-mole?

Anyway the name seems like a potential trademark issue but I am not a lawyer.

Thanked by 2emgh greentea
  • alt_alt_ Member

Looks cool, but is it sth we should deploy on our own? It doesn’t see to be Anycast on their official site.

• emghemgh Member

Not only that the name is political, it’s also a cheap Alibaba knock off

But I guess if your product is a cheap knock off why not make that clear from the name itself

The only thing that dosen’t scream cheap knock off is the pricing, that screams expensive knock off

Thanked by 1greentea
  • fatchanfatchan Member
    edited June 2023

Thanks for the comments and criticism everybody.

Yes, the name will probably change but I think it's funny for now. I'm surprised people are so serious in thinking there is a political statement in the name. It's seriously a meme, don't think about it any deeper than that. Be like jmaxwell :^) Anyways, the website is incomplete and nothing is final. Currently I have some smaller websites testing it to find issues and make suggestions.

The goal is not to be a cloudflare competitor. They offer a free ($0) service, have bazillions of dollars of infrastructure, investment, and many many employees. This is built for a different purpose.

It's primarily a software project, with a few components:

• HAProxy with Lua to extend it for some L7 filtering capabilities and dataplaneapi for remote control of webservers
    • CoreDNS with some forked plugins for geoDNS and reading records from redis for the nameservers
    • Grafana, loki, etc for some statistics and logging
    • A custom control panel for managing it

One reason I started this project is that I often see people asking what is a good "free speech" hosting provider, domain registrar, etc. The answer is NONE. There is no such thing because even T1 providers can and will censor you without any court order, bypassing even the hosting provider themselves. See KiwiFarms for example. (Fun fact, Kiwifarms is using my haproxy-protection project linked in OP to protect their .onion site)

I wanted a system where I can quickly plug in dedicated servers/vms from anywhere and control them all in a single location for a sort of home grown CDN. With all components self-hosted. Its a best-effort approach for a hostile environment and I'm having fun with it :smiley:

• kaitkait Member

@fatchan stay cooding, looks like a fun/cool project and congrats on bringing your dream alive.

Thanked by 1fatchan
  • @fatchan thanks for hanging out mate, best wishes to you and your project

Thanked by 2fatchan risharde
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@emgh said: Not only that the name is political

"based" is political?
    i learn new stuff every day, amazing

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said: Not only that the name is political

"based" is political?
    i learn new stuff every day, amazing

1. did you forget the post you basically just agreed with?
    2. just google the meaning honestly

the first actual google result:

Based has been appropriated by the alt-right online as a general term of praise, as if “un-woke.”

Thanked by 1greentea
  • emghemgh Member

@fatchan said: I'm surprised people are so serious in thinking there is a political statement in the name

just google it

Thanked by 1greentea
  • StackPath is a perfect thing and can be compared with CloudFlare.

Thanked by 1greentea
    edited June 2023

@emgh said: just google the meaning honestly

its because its used by certain political spectrum, and the other one who is extremely fragile to words labeled this world "far-right" or something.
    it happened multiple times.

even my favourite "milk", is now a neo-nazi symbol regarding to ADL.

• emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said: its because its used by certain political spectrum, and the other one who is extremely fragile to words labeled this world "far-right" or something.

if people believe a word is biased; it becomes biased

it dosen't matter who you consider fragile really

Thanked by 2Mumbly greentea
    edited June 2023

@emgh said: if people believe a word is biased; it becomes biased

only one side believes the word is biased though, the one desperate for attention, the one who wants to censor everything.

will leave this certain side unnamed.

• emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said: if people believe a word is biased; it becomes biased

only one side believes the word is biased though.

the point really went over your head, edgie

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @emgh said: edgie

what's that?

• emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said: edgie

what's that?

idk but here comes another one

Thanked by 1greentea
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

Terrible name, but I wish them luck.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • neverainneverain Member
    edited June 2023

@malignify said:

@jar said: What a horrible name

I'm with you on that. But I have to say, it's more favorable than kikeflare and fatpeople.

Why does every fucking thread with these degens come to this

Edit : kikeflare and fatpeople joke seems to be referencing the old names used by the creator of basedflare (or someone in that circle ) for some project and not malignify calling cloudflare that, but my point still stands, these KF fuckers turn threads unnecessarily political

Thanked by 2Peppery9 greentea
  • @neverain said:

@malignify said:

huh?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@neverain said:

@malignify said:

You know if you keep smelling farts everywhere you go, might want to ask someone to smell your upper lip.

• @treesmokah said:

@neverain said:

@malignify said:

huh?

Was my mistake edited comment.

@jar said:

@neverain said:

@malignify said:

You know if you keep smelling farts everywhere you go, might want to ask someone to smell your upper lip.

true, I guess I was the retard commenting retarded politics in a forum about cheap servers all along

Thanked by 2greentea iKeyZ