Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Finally Shut It Down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They Finally Shut It Down

Comments

• @mrTom said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I wonder how that works against something like PiHole...

Doesn't really matter how stuff is blocked. It should be easy to check if all components of a page were loaded. Many websites do it.

That's hard for a DNS server, which is pretty much all a pihole is. It's not like a browser ad blocker that selectively blocks.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

I used ad-blocker on my android box and I get used to no ads, now if I use standard Youtube app the ads are just so annoying that I immediately shut it down.

I'm hoping Rumble/Odysee will catch up or get more popular with this restriction.

Maybe I can change DNS to Russia if it goes widespread if that works.

If I have to put up with ads then I'll seriously reduce my usage, hopefully that will hit them in the pocket and they will reconsider.

• @treesmokah said:
    [Photo]

Mod edit (angstrom): removed. (Please don't do this)

what got censored?

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:

@treesmokah said:
    [Photo]

what got censored?

"goyim shut it down" meme you can see in Google.
    seems like non-offensive classics are offensive to some people.

Thanked by 1asterisk14
  • Actually I used ad-block on LEB/LET too :smile:

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • somiksomik Member

I hope there are still ways to bypass it... Unless they start baking it into the "free" videos, ublock origin should have ways around it.

edited May 2023

"And it all comes as Google wrestles with the handling of ad and content blockers in Chrome; the web giant is trying to move the browser extensions to a new API, dubbed Manifest v3, that protects users from malicious add-ons but may limit the effectiveness of blockers."

So Google will try to prevent ad-blocking extensions in Chrome! MS spyware Windows yesterday stopped me runing Produkey to find out what my license key for windows was, kept stopping it from running and then deleteing the file without asking me.

This software is getting more and more intrusive which is getting on my nerves. I paid for MS spyware Windoze and other programs so how dare you stop me running them!

• somiksomik Member

@asterisk14 said:
    "And it all comes as Google wrestles with the handling of ad and content blockers in Chrome; the web giant is trying to move the browser extensions to a new API, dubbed Manifest v3, that protects users from malicious add-ons but may limit the effectiveness of blockers."

So Google will try to prevent ad-blocking extensions in Chrome! MS spyware Windows yesterday stopped me runing Produkey to find out what my license key for windows was, kept stopping it from running and then deleteing the file without asking me.

Hey, quick question, what is google's biggest earner? You say "ads"? You get 100 points!

Now, who owns youtube? You say "google"? Another 100 points!

Now tell me, why would a company that makes it's money from ads will ALLOW people using it's OWN browser to block said ads on a platform they OWN?

I'm using Firefox for a while, so good luck to those sticking to chrome.

@asterisk14 said:
    This software is getting more and more intrusive which is getting on my nerves. I paid for MS spyware Windoze and other programs so how dare you stop me running them!

You paid for 1 windows license. Only OEMs gets the option to customize the windows spyware/phone-home nature. Single users like you and me are not worth the trouble. So just take the money and keep our data too.

Thanked by 1DataRecovery
  • @somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

Hey, quick question, what is google's biggest earner? You say "ads"? You get 100 points!

Now tell me, why would a company that makes it's money from ads will ALLOW people using it's OWN browser to block said ads on a platform they OWN?

It's not just Chrome browser, many other browsers use the Chrome engine.

• somiksomik Member

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

It's not just Chrome browser, many other browsers use the Chrome engine.

Not firefox. And as per my list, only firefox does NOT use chromium and supports addons.

Thanked by 2DataRecovery kkrajk
  • mrTommrTom Member

@TimboJones said:
    That's hard for a DNS server, which is pretty much all a pihole is. It's not like a browser ad blocker that selectively blocks.

Sure, but the result are still missing components, no matter why they couldn't be loaded.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@mrTom said:

@TimboJones said:

Sure, but the result are still missing components, no matter why they couldn't be loaded.

They can be "missing" but as far as the computer sees it. is that the ad just didn't load due to slow internet.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited May 2023

I'm using Youtube Premium (Family Plan), shared with 4 other friends. Costing around 110k IDR or 7.5 USD monthly. I asked my 4 friends to pay around 2 USD a month. Bam... I paid literally nothing :D

• mrTommrTom Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    They can be "missing" but as far as the computer sees it. is that the ad just didn't load due to slow internet.

But the "Computer" can have a program running that checks for missing components and refuse to deliver the requested content in this case.

That's how adblockers are identified by websites.....

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited May 2023

@somik said:

Not firefox. And as per my list, only firefox does NOT use chromium and supports addons.

Another long-time Firefox user, no chromes here.

Besides that uBlock Origin author says straightforwardly that uBlock Origin works best on Firefox - https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-Origin-works-best-on-Firefox

Thanked by 2somik kkrajk
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2023

Revanced still works apparently. You can just spoof clients.

Or then go the long way around for permanent solution lol.

https://ericdraken.com/pfsense-decrypt-ad-traffic/

This is absolute overkill but works pretty well. (Scroll to the bottom).

• corbpiecorbpie Member

You have to pay for everything now day YouTube, Twitter it goes on

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

10 to 30 second ads are not a big deal for me - I guess we are becoming more impatient as technology becomes faster.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited May 2023

@risharde said:
    10 to 30 second ads are not a big deal for me - I guess we are becoming more impatient as technology becomes faster.

Ad frequency intensifies depending on video and country you are in. In Sweden, for example, it is almost unbearable to watch videos with 100k+ views. Ads are pumping like crazy every 10 - 15 minutes. I use Sweden vpn, and their language is sooo attrocious in those ads, I just can't stand.

Thanked by 2risharde emgh
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@LTniger ah thanks for explaining, that does sound annoying I guess, I don't use a VPN so didn't think about the language issues you mentioned

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

@risharde said:

Ad frequency intensifies depending on video and country you are in. In Sweden, for example, it is almost unbearable to watch videos with 100k+ views. Ads are pumping like crazy every 10 - 15 minutes. I use Sweden vpn, and their language is sooo attrocious in those ads, I just can't stand.

you can try a moldova or albania vpn server if those are available. they shouldnt have ads either, as well as russia

edited May 2023

[Photo]

edited May 2023

@bruh21 said:

@LTniger said:

@risharde said:

you can try a moldova or albania vpn server if those are available. they shouldnt have ads either, as well as russia

Maybe I should say my region is RUssia on my Roku player too - on free content/movies there is 2-3 mins of adverts every 10-15 mins.

• davidedavide Member

@vovler said:
    Havent gotten this, but can't you just block the popup with the element picker?

Which browser do you run?
    No wait, don't answer THAT question. Rather, which company sits at the standard committee for HTML and ecmascript?

Answer is: you're f*cked.

• TeoMTeoM Member

If I was a homeless bum, I would still have gotten YouTube Premium. It's worth every penny.

2 euros with Turkish vpn what more do you want.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited May 2023

@corbpie said: You have to pay for everything now day YouTube, Twitter it goes on

Yeah. This surely would increase monthly expenses :D

edited May 2023

@TeoM said:
    If I was a homeless bum, I would still have gotten YouTube Premium. It's worth every penny.

Cost of living crisis over here dude, gas & elecric are up +300%, food up +20%, wages are going down-5% and now they want me to pay for youtube??? WTF!

• TeoMTeoM Member

@asterisk14 said:

@TeoM said:

Cost of living crisis over here dude, gas & elecric are up +300%, food up +20%, wages are going down-5% and now they want me to pay for youtube??? WTF!

Everyone can afford it. Instead of buying a coffee for 1 euro, I get YouTube Premium.

edited May 2023

@TeoM said:

@asterisk14 said:

@TeoM said:

Everyone can afford it. Instead of buying a coffee for 1 euro, I get YouTube Premium.

Yes, people are so flush with money and have so much free time that they are going on strike all over Europe and UK for fun times. Have you see what is going on in France?

This is the worst time for crap like this. These has been a massive upward wealth transfer already to the likes of Google, Bezos and M$ during Covid to the tune of billions of pounds (much of it taxpayer money) and the working class/middle class have got and are getting poorer. And right at this time these shysters want to screw the common people even harder with netflix ads/price increases and now this. This is the time when you need free entertainment to take your mind off your troubles, it's not the time to be deprived to give up coffee and food for the further enrichment of Epsteins friend Bill Gates or Bezos or Google.

And it's not 1 euro as you claim!

From Google:
    How much is YouTube Premium uk?
    £11.99 per month
    YouTube Premium costs £11.99 per month

That's £144 (~$160)/year!

Thanked by 1foxtare
  • youtube does that and i stop watching youtube, simple.
    i decide who i support.