Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Finally Shut It Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

inlandinland Member

YouTube cracks down on ad blocking, users report

YouTube is running an experiment asking some users to disable their ad blockers or pay for a premium subscription, or they will not be allowed to watch videos.

As first spotted by a Reddit user this week, YouTube will display a pop-up warning some users that "ad blockers are not allowed."

"It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Ads allow YouTube to stay free for billions of users worldwide," the message adds.

Upon receiving this notification, users will have two options: either disable their ad blocker to allow YouTube ads or consider subscribing to YouTube Premium to get rid of all advertisements.

1. Do you use ad blocking software?226 votes
    1. Yes
      74.78%
    2. No (click here if you're trolling)
      10.62%
    3. No (click here if that's a serious answer)
      14.60%

Comments

• vovlervovler Member

Havent gotten this, but can't you just block the popup with the element picker?

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member

this is all because of @JabJab networks

• LeviLevi Member

Whack-a-mole youtube vs the world. Bad idea and human resource waste.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I recently started paying for Youtube premium to avoid all the video adverts. Glad I did, makes the YT experience much better.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2023

Might make more people join cheap YT Premium "Families", or get YT Premium via cheap VPN sub. That way YT will make a bit more revenue, but not too much.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • spammyspammy Member

@Ympker said:
    Might make more people join cheap YT Premium "Families", or get YT Premium via cheap VPN sub. That way YT will make a bit more revenue, but not too much.

which country is the cheapest these days after FX translation? Had YT Prem India before but my CC kept getting rejected and the plan was cancelled :(

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@spammy said:

@Ympker said:

which country is the cheapest these days after FX translation? Had YT Prem India before but my CC kept getting rejected and the plan was cancelled :(

Not sure, I'm using an Adblocker, still.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited May 2023

[Photo]

Mod edit (angstrom): removed. (Please don't do this)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

I am not using an ad blocker, I am cheap and accepted my status with everything that comes with it :P I am even paying for windows licenses but only because there is no ad-supported version. I keep it unactivated where I am experimenting with.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

if you use a russian ip there are no ads

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    I recently started paying for Youtube premium to avoid all the video adverts. Glad I did, makes the YT experience much better.

It does. I actually don't mind paying that bit at all because

• downloads
    • playing with the phone locked
    • Youtube Music which while it has many flaws and definitely isn't as nice as Apple Music, is still access to a billions of songs

Yes, I'm quite aware of youtube-dl (ytdlp nowadays), torrents, etc. but the convenience factor is there.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • I pay for YouTube premium also, I think it's worth it and agree makes the experience better

Thanked by 1desperand
  • Finally? They could do this year's ago if they embedded the ads in the video output, or serve the ads from the same ip server as the video. Twitch does the same.

• @acidpuke said:
    I pay for YouTube premium also, I think it's worth it and agree makes the experience better

It is. But also very dangerous. Why? Global monopolization of whole media market.
    In this case competition very important. There must be equal or similar networks for doing the same, otherwise - it will be global monopolist that control information, media, browsing, internet, and so on. Which is extremely dangerous and profitable.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@desperand said: Global monopolization of whole media market.

I actually think that the ads model would eliminate competition because google is king. So, paying is not an anti-competition thing, for as long as you pay to others, not google.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • VoidVoid Member

I pay around $0.46 per month for a shared YouTube Premium Family subscription. There is an app called SubSpace, which acts as an escrow service for sharing subscriptions like Netflix and other services. So far, so good.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

What exactly did they finally shut down?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@jmaxwell said:
    I pay around $0.46 per month for a shared YouTube Premium Family subscription. There is an app called SubSpace, which acts as an escrow service for sharing subscriptions like Netflix and other services. So far, so good.

I know of Gamsgo, which works fine for Flix at least.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I don't seem to have encountered this pop-up dialog, where did you see it?

• fazarfazar Member
    edited May 2023

No problems for me, since I rarely sitting down to watch youtube.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited May 2023

@bvgfao40723 said:
    I don't seem to have encountered this pop-up dialog, where did you see it?

its an "experiment", only some people get it for now. its not an official "feature" yet.
    also, there is no way to win with adblockers, so i wish them good luck.

• KassemKassem Member

@raindog308 said: Youtube Music which while it has many flaws and definitely isn't as nice as Apple Music, is still access to a billions of songs

Can it replace Spotify at all with discovery and auto customized playlists?

• @treesmokah said:
    its an "experiment", only some people get it for now. its not an official "feature" yet.
    also, there is no way to win with adblockers, so i wish them good luck.

This change may be opposed by a large number of users and eventually abandoned.

At the ad blocker level, there should also be a way to block it.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Corporations make money anyway even though I rarely use Youtube.

Nobody is allowed to tell me how I protect my device or how I filter my network. I will continue to block ads as much as I want, whenever I want, because it's my network. If Youtube would be run by a non-profit foundation which helps humanity, I would definitely rethink my stance.

• @angstrom said:

What exactly did they finally shut down?

Someone's grade 8 English teacher has let OP and us down. :facepalm:

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said:

It does. I actually don't mind paying that bit at all because

• downloads
    • playing with the phone locked
    • Youtube Music which while it has many flaws and definitely isn't as nice as Apple Music, is still access to a billions of songs

Yes, I'm quite aware of youtube-dl (ytdlp nowadays), torrents, etc. but the convenience factor is there.

BlackBerry's could listen to YT while phone locked. Google just being assholes on that.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2023

@Maounique said:
    I am not using an ad blocker, I am cheap and accepted my status with everything that comes with it :P I am even paying for windows licenses but only because there is no ad-supported version. I keep it unactivated where I am experimenting with.

You might as well as "mass gravel" it.

• As a paid-nothing user, I watch almost all ads on YT, and sometimes I just click one of them, randomly.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I've had YouTube red since it came out since it does pay the channels more than just ads.
    But on topic of ad blockers.
    I wonder how that works against something like PiHole...

• mrTommrTom Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I wonder how that works against something like PiHole...

Doesn't really matter how stuff is blocked. It should be easy to check if all components of a page were loaded. Many websites do it.