Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strictly business... - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strictly business...

Comments

• Streamline Low-end-box. There should not be 147 tickets waiting. If there is there is an issue with how it is being managed.

There should be a basic template for the offers that allow you to put in the new offers and submit them as completed.

Like I said instead of doing a write up each time the have an offer, have a page for each provider that can be linked to. Then you just have to add updates when something changes. Or if there is some new information about that company.

There are some common-sense things.

• 24khost said: There should be a basic template for the offers that allow you to put in the new offers and submit them as completed.

Yes, I want to create this. I've wanted it for a long time, but lacked the actual time.

I like your other suggestions, by the way. It would be a great switch of style. Does Jon have your full plan? If so, I'll get it from him :-)

• I haven't presented anything to him really, just messaged him about helping turn this place around. I have lots of ideas. Most of them wouldn't take as much time as most folks would believe.

• All sounds very 'mechanical' and business like, almost like you're gearing up a production line.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@24khost said:
    I haven't presented anything to him really, just messaged him about helping turn this place around. I have lots of ideas. Most of them wouldn't take as much time as most folks would believe.

I am pretty sure most of your ideas don't fall in line with the business plan of this forum. No offense to the owners or anything, but they have made it very clear this forum shall be operated as a business. So if your suggestions have anything to do with being fair/transparent/or just not shady it probably won't swing the popular vote with the higher ups.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Nekki, Yes and No. You can be efficient without being a robot.

@ryanarp maybe not but at least I can say I gave it a shot!

@Nekki I am not down with reading the same drivel over and over again.

• @24khost said:
    Nekki, Yes and No. You can be efficient without being a robot.

I think you'd need quite a skilled writer to not give that impression.

Nekki I am not down with reading the same drivel over and over again.

I still don't know what you mean by 'drivel'

• 24K said "Streamline Low-end-box."

Please don't let him near another WordPress install. You'll end up with a 1-page site with nothing but a logo on it after it gets hacked.

• DomainBop said: You'll end up with a 1-page site with nothing but a logo on it after it gets hacked.

That could be considered "streamlined"

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited December 2013

black said: I say just post the offer on LET before you post it on LEB so people can scrutinize. Crowd source it. It's not like one person can look for these things anyway because it's really time consuming and there's a lot of "companies" to cross reference with.

This sounds like a great idea to screen new hosts on LEB, post partial details on LET and let the community go through them, if all looks good then maybe some members in LET can contribute to write the LEB article to reduce some of @mpkossen and @Asim workload. Final edits done by them of course.

• @DomainBop said:
    Please don't let him near another WordPress install. You'll end up with a 1-page site with nothing but a logo on it after it gets hacked.

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    That could be considered "streamlined"

A little harsh, but still funny. Top bantering.

• @mpkossen - that would be easy enough to do, however its my experience that many of these 'test' IPs dont represent the true nature of the network. I know when I looked at our dataset about 3-4 months ago, the test IPs were infact the datacentre's test IP and downloadable files but they just setup an A record then it was test.somevpscompany.com. To average Joe they believed it, but its still a dirty trick because the customer is not buying that quality.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@ryanarp said:
    I am pretty sure most of your ideas don't fall in line with the business plan of this forum.

If such a thing did exist. If it do exist, publish it so everyone reading LE* can read it.

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2013

@MikHo said:

since when would a business openly share its business plan unless with some form of funding body (bank/investor)?

just sayin'

EDIT- I agree that the forum needs to be open, and free for the community and this shouldn't be constrained around a business plan but they won't share it.

@24khost said:
    There are much better ways to do this. That is why I offered John Biloh my assistance.

I do not know you, I only know of the actions you did here on LE* and irc before you made the decision to ignore your previous customers. I am sure there are valid reasons for your actions but att this moment I do not really care (and you probably don't care about my opinion).

Anywho, my opinion on your "application" to jbiloh is that it should be denied. You need to "earn" the respect of the community first.

@wych said:
    EDIT- I agree that the forum needs to be open, and free for the community and this shouldn't be constrained around a business plan but they won't share it.

If it did exist, atleast the "workers" should know about it so everyone is working in the same direction.

I might not be using the correct word for it, perhaps better described as the business idea/mission.

The company's mission is all about focus and design of the business. The business concept is >described to what market you seek and what needs your business satisfies by its products/services.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I think there are a lot of good ideas being passed back and forth here. Maarten has a lot of latitude on leb/let and I expect to be chatting with him about it soon.

• @jbiloh said:
    I think there are a lot of good ideas being passed back and forth here. Maarten has a lot of latitude on leb/let and I expect to be chatting with him about it soon.

Let me know if you want me to create a offer template page with inputs and puts them in a queue with offer statuses like pending, declined etc.

• @mpkossen said:
    So, my question to you is: what could I/we do to solve this problem? What could we do to improve "customer care" without investing 10 hours a week responding to tickets alone?

Pass the stick on to someone who does have the time and community spirit, as LEA intended

@c0y said:
    Pass the stick on to someone who does have the time and community spirit, as LEA intended

Guess you are directing that to the wrong person. ;)

• I am not that much into the business and advertising side of LET/LEB, but I think the Vpsboard guys should get the CSS, fonts, or whatever it is sorted. If it gets prettied up I will be tempted to visit it more often. Aesthetics matters. Of course this is better discussed at Vpsboard itself.

• mpkossen said: I simply don't know what to do with all these tickets. Canned responses are broken, but even if they work, it would take me a lot of time to even send a canned response to all of those. I get ticket responses now "Y U N0 REsPOND?!?!?!11!?/" and I simply don't know what to do with it.

If you're looking to add someone to the team that's unbiased, I'd be willing to lend a hand with things.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MrObvious said:
    If you're looking to add someone to the team that's unbiased, I'd be willing to lend a hand with things.

Offer always stands from this side as well, but they know damn well I'll do my research and raise hell if they try to slip shit past me, so we know the answer to that :P

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2013

jarland said: Offer always stands from this side as well, but they know damn well I'll do my research and raise hell if they try to slip shit past me, so we know the answer to that :P

Mostly I see @jarland as a Saint, but sometimes I also see that he can be a "Webmaster From Hell" :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Really it comes down to maarten's call but I expect he would really like some help going through submittals and writing dead pools each quarter.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

jbiloh said: I think there are a lot of good ideas being passed back and forth here. Maarten has a lot of latitude on leb/let and I expect to be chatting with him about it soon.

Any news on this one ?

• Maounique said: Any news on this one ?

Nope, it's been Christmas and I've been busy with real life things as well as the orders on LEB.

I first need to index the ideas on here. I have a plan on how to do that transparently, but I need to set it up.

• @mpkossen Just post the offer here a day or so before you post it on LEB. You know drama people love to dig up dirt (if there's any). Put their skills to use, crowd source it.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @black said:
    mpkossen Just post the offer here a day or so before you post it on LEB. You know drama people love to dig up dirt (if there's any). Put their skills to use, crowd source it.

Makes LEB pretty boring for those that visit both, no? Plenty of people have offered to help with the investigative side, so 'crowd sourcing' it doesn't really help much, you'd just have loads of people going over the same ground.

• @Nekki said:
    Makes LEB pretty boring for those that visit both, no? Plenty of people have offered to help with the investigative side, so 'crowd sourcing' it doesn't really help much, you'd just have loads of people going over the same ground.

If you don't post the offer, just the host, it can still be worth having a look on both sites. It really takes a long time to verify certain things and even at times, you have to be clever like look at google's analytic ID in the web pages. In my opinion, it's just too much volunteer work for one or a hand full of people do to.

If it's only done by one person or a hand full of people and they somehow made an error, LET is going to go nuts again for what might be an honest mistake.