Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Journey from Zero to Provider Tag - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Journey from Zero to Provider Tag

1235»

Comments

• @ascicode said:

I thought doxxing was not allowed on this forum 😂

• My advice is stop trying to predict the future. Better title wouldve been from zero to zero with the way this threads going.

• @Francisco said: He wants to borderline scam the very users he’s hoping to sell services to in the future.

yeah, and his initial message of buying a username domain for $8 at registrar and may be selling that for $50 max to Halfeatenpie, how much of the investment he wanted to pour into up-coming hosting business using this tactics? What he thought that such username domain would sell for $5k / $10K? :p

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

This is fun and its quite interesting that this guy even came with this idea and courage to courage to execute. Although this is not new thing, I often gets mails to buy domains those are similar to my existing domains. It must be working for them as I regularly gets the offers, may be he thought it can work here too.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Hopefully he's taking this thread as a good learning lesson, there is a lot of good advice in here, and some tough feedback. But man, he didn't do himself any favors, and certainly his future hosting cred was damaged, if he's able to get off the ground.

I am also skeptical that his cultural misunderstanding excuse is genuine after his domain sniping "fundraising" approach.

Maybe he really is completely unaware of basic business practices and "international" communication, but I'm not sure there's any culture in the world where it is good business to buy something like a domain that is uniquely tied to one person and then try to get them to buy it from them in private, for more money, with that DM to @HalfEatenPie. That is not helpful, respectful, heroic, community-oriented, neighborly, "Bayanihan," or just good business. Anywhere.

I wish him the best since he's clearly in the tough place, but I think he needs to learn a lot more about business and how to build trust with people, and how to ask for help without making the person feel manipulated or stalked.

Thanked by 1Xor
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

@jlet88 said: Maybe he really is completely unaware of basic business practices and "international" communication, but I'm not sure there's any culture in the world where it is good business to buy something like a domain that is uniquely tied to one person and then try to get them to buy it from them in private, for more money, with that DM to @HalfEatenPie. That is not helpful, respectful, heroic, community-oriented, neighborly, "Bayanihan," or just good business. Anywhere.

I'm just chalking it up to being ambitious, hungry, and a mistake. LET can be rough sometimes and from the outside, it may seem like we demand everyone walk on a tightrope before they build enough "street cred" to throw shit (I mean I don't think our expectations are too high, but who knows. Maybe I'm out of touch). EIther way, life's too short to hold a grudge about a one-off event like this. If this kind of thing happens again though, I definitely won't be too pleased.

Thanked by 2jlet88 Xor

Btw, culture excuse is all bullshit, its just way to get easy money. Every other day I encounter such shortcuts where people are actually making by similar shady techniques, its comparable to phishing although not exactly, so there are always a certain number of ignorant people falling for it and supporting this way of earning.

edited January 2023

@Saahib said:
    Btw, culture excuse is all bullshit, its just way to get easy money. Every other day I encounter such shortcuts where people are actually making by similar shady techniques, its comparable to phishing although not exactly, so there are always a certain number of ignorant people falling for it and supporting this way of earning.

Saahib, I have the perfect domain for you. mysaahib.com for all your dashboarding needs! As a friend, I'm coming to you first for an easy payment of 600 million dollars. I'd charge others 10 billion for this kind of a deal.

edited January 2023

Actually had few domains with my name (I guess we all do when we newly discovers the domain registration) but I let them expire years ago as couldn't find any use for them.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
    edited January 2023

@Saahib said:
    Actually had few domains with my name (I guess we all do when we newly discover the domain registration) but I let them expire years ago as couldn't find any use for them.

Same. I used to own halfeatenpie.com

But I have so many usernames across different forums that it doesn't really make sense for me to do this.

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited January 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jlet88 said: Maybe he really is completely unaware of basic business practices and "international" communication, but I'm not sure there's any culture in the world where it is good business to buy something like a domain that is uniquely tied to one person and then try to get them to buy it from them in private, for more money, with that DM to @HalfEatenPie. That is not helpful, respectful, heroic, community-oriented, neighborly, "Bayanihan," or just good business. Anywhere.

I'm just chalking it up to being ambitious, hungry, and a mistake. LET can be rough sometimes and from the outside, it may seem like we demand everyone walk on a tightrope before they build enough "street cred" to throw shit (I mean I don't think our expectations are too high, but who knows. Maybe I'm out of touch). EIther way, life's too short to hold a grudge about a one-off event like this. If this kind of thing happens again though, I definitely won't be too pleased.

That is a thoughtful and forgiving attitude. As you are the person targeted by him (or one of the people, was there another?), and you now feel this gracious about it, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt too. But I also agree this should hopefully be a one-off event, otherwise he learned nothing from the criticism in this thread, and I'm sure plenty of folks would agree he's lost any credibility. Hats off to you for your forgiving attitude.

EDIT: "you are" added in bold above for clarification

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • @AuroraZero said:
    This may be the actual post that finally makes me shit my pants literally

nice

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

I guess that ROI (return on investment) isn't your specialty, even though it's in your name.

On another note, you could've easily applied for a Host Rep tag for FREE and started from there.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2023

Dollar to advice ratio, turns out that domain actually was worth the purchase. Maybe he’s actually the smartest person here.

Thanked by 3ralf Advin CheepCluck
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    Is it just me. Or do others find it funny that he spent money on something as risky as this to try and raise money... for a web host.

Like... If he pulls this then why would you even host anything critical with him and his "company". Because he might hold your data hostage in return for extra $$$.

This really demolishes confidence and any good-will to @JamesRoi 's current and/or future business. Like this should be a major warning bell for anyone else in the future to assess if you'll never do business with him, because he might try to blackmail you with your own data.

"Desperation is like stealing from the Mafia: you stand a good chance of attracting the wrong attention." -- Douglas Horton

For some people, it's either do or die... and we humans are complicated, and the truth is that almost everyone is easily corruptible, and if I compare what he had done to things I know other people did... I'd say that he's an angel... on a bad path, perhaps. :)

TL;DR: Everyone is capable of wrongdoing, but some are really good at hiding it.

• do you like the process or just the crap as it is?

• @gdnotme said:

@JamesRoi said:
    Currently raising some funds in private ;)

Good luck to your team

I always acquire new funds in this way.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Saahib said:
    Actually had few domains with my name (I guess we all do when we newly discover the domain registration) but I let them expire years ago as couldn't find any use for them.

I currently own .com and .dev with my name.
    Both are actively used.

I used to own .cn with my name.
    It's canceled last year, which caused a small panic among my readers because they thought I'm shutting down the website.

This discussion has been closed.