Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Journey from Zero to Provider Tag - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Journey from Zero to Provider Tag

Comments

• @JamesRoi said: That is also one of the reasons why I consider to initiate private conversations instead of discussions.

No, quite the opposite. Better to create a discussion instead. The starting price is $0. @HalfEatenPie will probably bid $0.69 then you have some money.

• @JamesRoi said:

@bdl said:

@JamesRoi said:

@bdl said:

@JamesRoi said:

Also, in our country, if someone offers you something like this and you don't use it for some sht, it's fun because they recognize your value; if we are offended, we tell it in private message because it is regarded as "clout chasing" in our country. That is also one of the reasons why I consider to initiate private conversations instead of discussions.

Which other LET users did you purchase domain names "for"?

Also, in our country, we are taught the value of "Bayanihan," which means that even if you cannot offer monetary value, you can offer something similar in value (for ex; knowledge). You can help others without giving them money. Knowledge is power, knowledge have more value than anything specially for a startup like me.

So you can't offer monetary value, except you used monetary value to purchase a domain name which you then asked for monetary value (at a profit) for? It's a bit late to claim altruistic intent. Your argument makes no sense.

To be transparent, I purchased @jbiloh.com too.

Thankyou for your transparency.

Let me ask you, do you prefer someone initiating a conversation with you and asking you for advice and technical stuff, or some partnership/collaboration with newly established company without any background?

I have no preference as I'd like to help other community members if I can, as they've helped me in the past.

This differs to someone buying a domain name related to my LET username and attempting to sell it to me, however.

I'm guessing you'd ignore it anyway.

You guessed wrong.

I've also considered different peoples, perspective since this is an international forum. Not all people are open minded in helping others in need.

Some people will never help you if you don't give something in return "I've learnt that in hard way"

But let's not get into that because it could be misunderstood again.

Check DM or just ignore it if you don't want to know that "hard", I don't want to make it big.

• @Pwner said:

@JamesRoi said:
    I've also considered different peoples, perspective since this is an international forum. Not all people are open minded in helping others in need.

Some people will never help you if you don't give something in return "I've learnt that in hard way"

But let's not get into that because it could be misunderstood again.

You're not "giving something in return" you're attempting to sell them their own username as a domain, and if it was that important to them, it likely wouldn't have been available to you purchase in the first place.

Going around telling people that you live in a third world country and are struggling with money, asking for assistance with jumpstarting your business venture, while also burning money trying to "ransom" a domain name to sell back to the very same community you intend to do business with is just a terrible look.

What you're doing isn't giving something in return, you're trying to extort users into financing your business by selling them their username as a domain.

As you said, not all people are open minded in helping others in need. That's something you'll need to accept on your own, instead of trying to private message people with the idea that they should buy a domain of their username from you as a gesture of goodwill.

The optics are terrible, it's a waste of money, and you'll only end up looking like a terrible person that most people won't want to do business with, and stuck with a bunch of random username domains that you purchased for no benefit to anyone.

It's just that kind of thing that motivates some of our local people because someone recognizes their worth. (if not used for some shts)

It's not a waste of money with right person (if they recognized the gesture), it's an investment to gain more knowledge in this industry. Buying Ebooks to learn is a sht, real experience with the current market is much better.

• @mrs92 said:

@JamesRoi said: That is also one of the reasons why I consider to initiate private conversations instead of discussions.

No, quite the opposite. Better to create a discussion instead. The starting price is $0. @HalfEatenPie will probably bid $0.69 then you have some money.

That was my initial thought before purchasing the domain. Make fun of domains with Auction, for them to know how much other people value their names and earn profit while on it (if possible)

But, according to the rules, it must be 6 months old before being auctioned.

• @JamesRoi said:

@mrs92 said:

@JamesRoi said: That is also one of the reasons why I consider to initiate private conversations instead of discussions.

That was my initial thought before purchasing the domain. Make fun of domains with Auction, for them to know how much other people value their names and earn profit while on it (if possible)

We've all knew how important connections can be in business. Is it any different in other countries?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

You are hiding behind this concept of "Bayanihan", even though I looked it up and kind of understand it. What you did was not correct as far as building trust and receiving help from members here. A simple apology for the "misunderstanding" would have been the better approach IMO.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • This a great example of how not to run a web hosting company. Losing trust with members on here this soon will not get you far.

• @Arkas said:
    You are hiding behind this concept of "Bayanihan", even though I looked it up and kind of understand it. What you did was not correct as far as building trust and receiving help from members here. A simple apology for the "misunderstanding" would have been the better approach IMO.

I did made an apology mate for this misunderstanding...

• I am originally from a certain “third world country” which I still visit regularly and believe me if someone was to pull this there they would get laughed at by most people too. I don’t know where this idea of “people in different countries have different rules of business” comes from, may be from the rhetoric made popular by today’s many populist and radical leaders hell bent on dividing humanity through glories of the past. I see a few people play the third world card here lately.

If business rules were different you wouldn’t have a global economy possible. Yes there are social things and cultural things that will affect business like they affect many other things, but the system under which you are trying to operate i.e. capitalism, has its own global rules.

I personally think your idea isn’t so bad as long as you approach it as a “let me try if people are interested” which you do, but not everyone is going to like the idea or may even hate the idea or feel they are being exploited. It’s just how it is. What you are failing to do is understand potential customer / client differences to your view and trying to make your view normalised. You will fail very fast doing business if you make things emotional or try to pitch your ideas as something like a gospel for everyone to obey.

If you want to succeed you need to be agile and adapt. If this is not bringing you the required funds may be understand this wasn’t a great idea and go do something else instead of wasting your time making everyone give you the funds because your idea was great.

Many great ideas have failed to be pursued in business btw. And many apparently crappy ones have flourished, so learn instead of fighting.

Thanked by 1ivlad
  • @op23 said:
    I am originally from a certain “third world country” which I still visit regularly and believe me if someone was to pull this there they would get laughed at by most people too. I don’t know where this idea of “people in different countries have different rules of business” comes from, may be from the rhetoric made popular by today’s many populist and radical leaders hell bent on dividing humanity through glories of the past. I see a few people play the third world card here lately.

If business rules were different you wouldn’t have a global economy possible. Yes there are social things and cultural things that will affect business like they affect many other things, but the system under which you are trying to operate i.e. capitalism, has its own global rules.

I personally think your idea isn’t so bad as long as you approach it as a “let me try if people are interested” which you do, but not everyone is going to like the idea or may even hate the idea or feel they are being exploited. It’s just how it is. What you are failing to do is understand potential customer / client differences to your view and trying to make your view normalised. You will fail very fast doing business if you make things emotional or try to pitch your ideas as something like a gospel for everyone to obey.

If you want to succeed you need to be agile and adapt. If this is not bringing you the required funds may be understand this wasn’t a great idea and go do something else instead of wasting your time making everyone give you the funds because your idea was great.

Many great ideas have failed to be pursued in business btw. And many apparently crappy ones have flourished, so learn instead of fighting.

That's why I'll take this as a lesson instead since I'm new to business side...

• edited January 2023

@JamesRoi said:

@op23 said:
    I am originally from a certain “third world country” which I still visit regularly and believe me if someone was to pull this there they would get laughed at by most people too. I don’t know where this idea of “people in different countries have different rules of business” comes from, may be from the rhetoric made popular by today’s many populist and radical leaders hell bent on dividing humanity through glories of the past. I see a few people play the third world card here lately.

We all gasp in surprise.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @JamesRoi said:

@op23 said:

That's for pointing it out, mate; knowing what's wrong and right in the international market is extremely valuable to me.

• @CheepCluck said:
    I wonder if OP has thought about starting up a forum, scraping a bunch of usernames from here and trying to sell it off for 17 trillion dollars.

That idea is taken already lol

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

buy nice domains, wait for 6 months and auction it off. Goes for great values.

• @a_username said:
    ... ;)

Let the summer begin.

@JamesRoi said:

@mrs92 said:

Oh sorry I forgot. So why don't you wait until the summer begins? Your domains will be 6 months old at that time.

Thanked by 1a_username
  • @mrs92 said:

@a_username said:
    ... ;)

Let the summer begin.

@JamesRoi said:

@mrs92 said:

Oh sorry I forgot. So why don't you wait until the summer begins? Your domains will be 6 months old at that time.

Aside from those two domains I already have some decent domains stack up for auction with different niches :#

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    This is his way of trying to fundraise for a provider tag.

Basically sounds like he's trying to blackmail me with "I have your username as a domain name. Pay me to get it"

I told him to fuck off.

@Arkas @DP just pinging to say keep an eye out on this guy? He might be doing similar things to other people.

Enjoy spending that $$$ you paid for a dumb domain. That domain has no real value to me.

What the actual fuck, guys basically too desperate.

• journey from zero back to zero

• Usage of term "journey" in the context of work is so sickening... All HR newbies use that. "My journey to become JS programmer was so life changing and fulfilling at company X". Instant vomit.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • TrKTrK Member

@cybertech said:
    journey from zero back to zero

zero to double zero! :lol:

• @Liso said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Basically sounds like he's trying to blackmail me with "I have your username as a domain name. Pay me to get it"

I told him to fuck off.

@Arkas @DP just pinging to say keep an eye out on this guy? He might be doing similar things to other people.

Enjoy spending that $$$ you paid for a dumb domain. That domain has no real value to me.

What the actual fuck, guys basically too desperate.

that "hehehe" itself is absolute cringe

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • This may be the actual post that finally makes me shit my pants literally

• @JamesRoi said:
    Also, in our country, if someone offers you something like this and you don't use it for some sht, it's fun because they recognize your value; if we are offended, we tell it in private message because it is regarded as "clout chasing" in our country. That is also one of the reasons why I consider to initiate private conversations instead of discussions.

Your country is not our country. I also know a few Filipinos and none of them have tried to pull this kind of shit on anyone I know. They just get on with life, earning an honest wage.

Also, in our country, we are taught the value of "Bayanihan," which means that even if you cannot offer monetary value, you can offer something similar in value (for ex; knowledge). You can help others without giving them money. Knowledge is power, knowledge have more value than anything specially for a startup like me.

You don't seem to have any knowledge either though.

Here's some knowledge: Your business idea is a bad idea. You've clearly done no research about the market you want to enter. You have no idea even what market segment you're targeting. You haven't managed to make any money with minimal outgoings, but you're happy to waste money on pointless stuff. You've alienated almost everyone at a forum that's particularly favourable to just-starting low-end providers. You've wasted several days income on an attempt to scam people. Don't waste another $200 to be able to advertise here, because nobody will take you seriously after this.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Just a friendly advice.

Don't be desperate and don't try too hard - it's very unattractive.

It's very obvious when you're desperate, when you're trying hard and when you're trying to be someone or something you're not.

Stay calm, stay composed and have some self confidence.

It's only been a month since you started your hosting business so don't ruin it.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited January 2023

OP @JamesRoi , instead of buying useless domains matching usernames like jbiloh.com, and halfeatenpie.com, and trying to sell them (to very very targeted market, single user here), you could have invested that $$ in some good, industry-related domain and have used it for your own (up coming hosting business) or using it to forward traffic.

check my domain with generic keyword: web-hosting.top (aff link)

I'm using it to forward to an affiliate partner, some sub-pages I've used to write about the topic. Later I can even sell this generic keyword-rich domain in aftermarket or start a hosting-forum on it. The possibilities are many!

p.s. if you want to acquire this domain for your hosting business, DM me.

• my advice is
    get a job and be a normal worker.
    being a boss is not suited for you given your personality.
    be grateful being a normal worker!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

L> @HalfEatenPie said:

I told him to fuck off.

I’m not sure what his gain is here. He wants to borderline scam the very users he’s hoping to sell services to in the future.

I get that he’s in a very poor country but damn man.

Francisco

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

@Francisco said: I’m not sure what his gain is here. He wants to borderline scam the very users he’s hoping to sell services to in the future.

Francisco

I know right. This original message had no meaning besides "take pity on me!" and "I bought your username as a domain. Pay me to get it."

Like mate this is not the way to do it.

Thanked by 2Arkas bdl
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Francisco said: I’m not sure what his gain is here. He wants to borderline scam the very users he’s hoping to sell services to in the future.

Francisco

I know right. This original message had no meaning besides "take pity on me!" and "I bought your username as a domain. Pay me to get it."

Like mate this is not the way to do it.

Opportunist.

I hope he learns something from this that there are no shortcuts to success.

Thanked by 2Arkas TanXS
This discussion has been closed.