Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended VPS providers for VPN service - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended VPS providers for VPN service

Comments

• @treesmokah said:
    @vpnfail please remove google analytics from your site. if you need analytics so bad, use something like selfhosted https://matomo.org/ or https://plausible.io/

Indeed Google Analytics is very bloated and comes with privacy issues, can't say I'm a fan - it's what our web developer goes for by default.

But we will take a look at the self-hosted solutions you posted, Plausible at least looks very interesting.

Are there lists of 3rd party instances we could use for free to do some tests, before installing our own instance?

Thanks for the advice!

• @vpnfail said: Are there lists of 3rd party instances we could use for free to do some tests, before installing our own instance?

Yes, both offer "hosted" versions directly from them. Both have trials on their managed instances.

Thanked by 1vpnfail
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

We use https://goaccess.io/ for 'analytics'. It's not really an analytic tool, but rather a CLI log reader (Nginx or Apache) for some quick stats. Works well enough for our needs without violating the privacy of web visitors. All I'm ever really curious about is referring sites. You can also have it output data to a HTML page, but I've never really had any need for it.

Also if you're interested in a Idaho, USA location and are okay with 20TB/mo of bandwidth, let me know.

Thanked by 2treesmokah vpnfail
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@treesmokah all I'm getting at is some providers don't use/have their own IP range and can easily ignore abuse.
    But I gave the warning.

• jayjayjayjay Member, Host Rep

@vpnfail said:
    Hi all,

We're a new VPN provider looking to help internet users in Iran, China and Russia to fight censorship. We're in the process of bootstrapping our project (which you can already try for free in a limited version) and are currently looking for multiple VPS providers that would help us cover a list expanding to +35 locations quickly during Q1 2023.

So for a quick question to get the discussion started - to all LET members, what VPS provider you've worked with and were extremely satisfied with the service?

Question to VPS hosting providers on the forum, do you accept VPN exit nodes on your network and if so do you have offers with unlimited traffic?

Thank you!
    VPN.fail

Our customers use our Hong Kong NAT services for this - great feedback so far. We accept VPN exit nodes, and have quite a few customers who've purchased dedicated 1Gbit lines from us to offer this out to their clients.

Thanked by 2vpnfail itsgoingdown
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

@jayjay said:

@vpnfail said:
    Hi all,

We're a new VPN provider looking to help internet users in Iran, China and Russia to fight censorship. We're in the process of bootstrapping our project (which you can already try for free in a limited version) and are currently looking for multiple VPS providers that would help us cover a list expanding to +35 locations quickly during Q1 2023.

So for a quick question to get the discussion started - to all LET members, what VPS provider you've worked with and were extremely satisfied with the service?

Question to VPS hosting providers on the forum, do you accept VPN exit nodes on your network and if so do you have offers with unlimited traffic?

Thank you!
    VPN.fail

Our customers use our Hong Kong NAT services for this - great feedback so far. We accept VPN exit nodes, and have quite a few customers who've purchased dedicated 1Gbit lines from us to offer this out to their clients.

LG/Test IP for your HK region?

• or actually for all regions, if possible.
  • Plot twist: vpnfail is honeypot service and he's a government spook.

@treesmokah said:

@jayjay said:

@vpnfail said:
    Hi all,

Thank you!
    VPN.fail

LG/Test IP for your HK region?

• or actually for all regions, if possible.

HK 1: http://hkd.lg.mlnl.host/
    HK 2 (NAT): http://nat0.mlnl.host:4301/
    UK: http://uk.lg.mlnl.host/

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • so how do you deal with abuses now? Lets say you received abuse mail for Location XY, what does "we report" in your ToS mean?

• @TimboJones said:
    Plot twist: vpnfail is honeypot service and he's a government spook.

What would they collect anyways?
    Your traffic is not as valuable as you think, especially when most of it is e2e encrypted. Nor is it tied to any identity, as you don't need an account to use vpn.fail.

Thanked by 1vpnfail
  • @HungryCat said:
    so how do you deal with abuses now? Lets say you received abuse mail for Location XY, what does "we report" in your ToS mean?

As a VPN provider, dealing with abuses is an important aspect of maintaining the security and integrity of our service. If we receive abuse mail for a specific location, we would investigate the issue and take appropriate action to address it.

The "we report" syntagm is actually mentioned in our FAQ (not ToS) and what it means is that we may be required by law to report any illegal or abusive activities to the relevant authorities - so far this hasn't happened :)

Our VPN community is aimed at people residing in countries with restricted internet access, such as Russia, China or Iran. Those people use our servers to bypass censorship. They use the VPN servers to access the free internet - read news, watch Youtube, etc.

We haven't had trouble with abusers so far, and we hope it stays this way.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@vpnfail said: We haven't had trouble with abusers so far, and we hope it stays this way.

You are lucky ;)

I have heard that port scan is a common pain for VPN services.

• vpnfailvpnfail Member
    edited March 2023

@tentor said:

You are lucky ;)

I have heard that port scan is a common pain for VPN services.

It's not luck, it's strategy :) with our Telegram config delivery approach, most of our users are genuine persons using our VPN from their mobile device. I don't think they are interested in port scans :)

Our Telegram community has grown to +1800 subscribers across channels in the past few months, so we continue to roll out free servers in various locations while also preparing the next big upgrade everyone is waiting for :blush:

• @jayjay said:

Hong Kong is an interesting location that is requested by our members in SEA and China and unmetered bandwidth is always welcome! :smiley:

• @TimboJones said:

Fun fact - one of the reasons why we started this VPN project was because we realized the big VPN providers can't be trusted :) the other reason was because the big VPN providers suck big time at actually bypassing censorship in countries with agressive internet restrictions.

One of these big VPN providers is a company named Kape Technologies, from Israel. You might have not heard of them, but I'm sure you've heard of some of the VPNs they own.

Four major VPN services: ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access and Zenmate VPN - all owned by Kape. And Kape also happens to be a known former adware and malware distributor, which says a lot about their ethics.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @treesmokah all I'm getting at is some providers don't use/have their own IP range and can easily ignore abuse.
    But I gave the warning.

Based on your posts in this thread, is my understanding correct that you don't host VPN providers on your network?

• @vpnfail said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    But I gave the warning.

Based on your posts in this thread, is my understanding correct that you don't host VPN providers on your network?

They do transit for https://stormycloud.org/
    Not sure about VPN providers though.

Thanked by 1vpnfail
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@treesmokah said:

@vpnfail said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    But I gave the warning.

We have providers of all kinds on our network. We also do own our own IP ranges.
    However have had IP ranges that charge us $20+/abuse notice. I was just giving a heads up as to some troubles that we have gone through in the past to save you a headache of potential abuse. :)

Here is our TOS/AUP
    https://dataideas.com/terms-of-use.html
    https://dataideas.com/acceptable-use-policy.html

Thanked by 2treesmokah vpnfail
  • @treesmokah said:

@vpnfail said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    But I gave the warning.

We use @DataIdeas-Josh for our uplink and while we have our own IP range and handle most of the abuse. Sometimes abuse complains get sent to our provider, they just inform us and that is it.

Overall extremely impressed with @DataIdeas-Josh for both their uplink and VPS services.

• @vpnfail "Fun fact - one of the reasons why we started this VPN project was because we realized the big VPN providers can't be trusted"

and why should i trust you? what can you offer to support your trustworthiness?

• @treesmokah said:

@TimboJones said:

Your traffic is not as valuable as you think, especially when most of it is e2e encrypted. Nor is it tied to any identity, as you don't need an account to use vpn.fail.

You're not that naive. Don't be silly. Vpnfail is advertising specifically as being government censorship bypass. If Iran and China don't already run fake honeypot VPN companies, I'd be very, very surprised.

:facepalm_meme_where_palm_goes_through_head:

• @TimboJones said:

@treesmokah said:

@TimboJones said:

You're not that naive. Don't be silly. Vpnfail is advertising specifically as being government censorship bypass. If Iran and China don't already run fake honeypot VPN companies, I'd be very, very surprised.

You are a conspiracy theorist.

• @treesmokah said:

@TimboJones said:

@treesmokah said:

@TimboJones said:

You are a conspiracy theorist.

Not since about age 17 and reading all the shit that's gone down with the Vatican.

But really, it sounds like you ignored Snowden and much else, both government and corporate (read books on Rupert Murdoch and the shenanigans at his companies). You must be joking about how naive you are or else that's really sad for you.

@vpnfail said:

@jayjay said:

Hong Kong is an interesting location that is requested by our members in SEA and China and unmetered bandwidth is always welcome! :smiley:

Yep! Feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk about this further. We operate with Dynamic IPs too, so works quite well for China.

Thanked by 1vpnfail
  • @stormycloudinc said:

@treesmokah said:

@vpnfail said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    But I gave the warning.

We use @DataIdeas-Josh for our uplink and while we have our own IP range and handle most of the abuse. Sometimes abuse complains get sent to our provider, they just inform us and that is it.

Overall extremely impressed with @DataIdeas-Josh for both their uplink and VPS services.

Just checked your website - impressive project. Hat tip to both of you @stormycloudinc @DataIdeas-Josh

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • vpnfailvpnfail Member
    edited March 2023

We recently added a new free VPN server for our community: 🇹🇷 Istanbul, Turkey

This server is sponsored by fellow LET member @BatuCloud, our latest hosting partner 🤝 visit their website at https://www.batucloud.com/

BatuCloud is a game hosting company established in 2020. BatuCloud offers game servers, hosting, virtual server, dedicated server and hosting services. Their aim to enter the game industry is to bring people to new generation services and to provide safe services.

Our free VPN service wouldn't be possible without the support of our hosting partners - thank you @BatuCloud

• I love when ppl say : we are doing it for to help other fight censorship, and not for the money that ppl are willing to pay because they don't have any other chance

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited April 2023

@qquccs said:
    I love when ppl say : we are doing it for to help other fight censorship, and not for the money that ppl are willing to pay because they don't have any other chance

servers and maintenance costs money, most upstream providers wont give a fuck that you are running a non for profit org because they also have to pay for these servers.

you need money, whether its yours or the hosting provider that is willing to help - but there is always money needed.
    helping support people in need for free is an act of good will - and not a requirement

• Hey, would you please enable BBR on your servers, if it's not already enabled:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/cloud-computing/increase-your-linux-server-internet-speed-with-tcp-bbr-congestion-control/