Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you using Firefox to support its survival? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you using Firefox to support its survival?

Comments

• @emgh said:
    Everytime I try to use FireFox it just feels like my DisplayPort cable went back to my old HDMI that was 60hz instead of my current 144 hz.

Animations just feel rougher and being to used to Chrome I just can’t take it.

This is main reason why I switched to chrome.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Switched to Firefox from Edge and Chrome since months ago,it works perfectly for me.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • love firefox on mobile, it includes ublock support (latest beta/dev build supports litterally any addon)

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I use edge and Firefox now. 🙄

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@phucvandinh said: I use edge and Firefox now. 🙄

Blast from the past, Firefox and IE 6 :P

• @rm_ said:

@vitobotta said: Can you elaborate on Mozilla decisions undone by Waterfox?

For me its' mostly UI -- the latest one is tabs which look like buttons are a complete nonsense; but also removing telemetry; and they also continue the Classic version which kept compatibility with all previous add-ons, which I used for a while as well: https://classic.waterfox.net/

I am trying Waterfox now and I have to admit it looks better than standard Firefox. But is it updated frequently enough with security updates etc?

• Using chrome and firefox

• i just use firefox on a mac, more niche extensions available and i feel a bit better about not using chrome for the snooping.. you can turn of telemetrics in firefox

• Safari on Mac/iOS/iPadOS, Firefox on Windows/Linux/Android.

• @vitobotta said: I am trying Waterfox now and I have to admit it looks better than standard Firefox. But is it updated frequently enough with security updates etc?

looks nice but never heard of it

• Only Firefox is allowed in my computers for main navigation.
    Others browsers are blocked or uninstalled or right click > send to trash.

Exceptions are make tests and downloading firefox in new computer.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I use it a lot. Firefox has been my preferred browser for a long time. In particular I like the Multi-Account Container extension which among other things allow you to use multiple web proxies at the same time in different tabs.

• I'm still using firefox on a daily basis, it has a huge community and far from being dead.

• I've been using Firefox since it was NCSA Mosaic.

Firefox with uBlock Origin, Foxytab, Multi-account containers, an extensive Context Search setup and lots of under-the-hood tweaks does almost everything I need. Chrome only comes into play when I want to run multiple Google account profiles or easy tunneling to somewhere. I didn't know that you could use different proxies via multi-account containers as @lebuser says above, I'll have to check it out.

Market share dropped when they broke a ton of unsupported / abandoned addons a few years back.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2022

I use the default browser that comes with the operating system.

To me, a browser is just an application for viewing and interacting with websites. The way I use browsers, I see little difference between them. As long as you can find the Address Bar and other basic features easily, any browser works for me.

I use the default browsers: Mac -> Safari, Windows -> Edge, Linux -> Firefox (or a fork of it).

I installed Chrome on my older Mac, for websites that have issues with older Safari. I am about to upgrade macOS and Safari, so that issue should go away.

To me, plug-ins are just more attack surface. The only plug-ins I use are the password manager and sometimes one ad blocker. I do not like ad blockers, but will install one if the websites that I visit regularly have ads that self-launch any video or audio without an action on my part. That's the deal-breaker for me. Static ads with images (like in a magazine) are fine.

I wonder whether the choice of browser (and plug-ins) are like cars. To some people, they are merely transportation. To others, they are a machine to tinker, modify, and enhance or maybe a rolling work of art.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I would love to support them but I just can't get used to their developer tools. The chrome one I prefer.

• I'm pretty much completely on Brave these days. Their ad blocking doesn't rely on extension tech, so M3 won't have any impact on that feature.

• @TimRoo said:
    I'm pretty much completely on Brave these days. Their ad blocking doesn't rely on extension tech, so M3 won't have any impact on that feature.

M3?

• @vitobotta said:

@TimRoo said:
    I'm pretty much completely on Brave these days. Their ad blocking doesn't rely on extension tech, so M3 won't have any impact on that feature.

M3?

Manifest V3 (discussed last page). I guess the correct abbreviation is MV3

• I dumped it, and hope they'll die, the sooner the better so something truly new can appear.

No need for a chrome-like bloated, "look at my big numbers", developer-oriented (s)tool that can't even support its own legacy plugin system.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Shot2 said: hope they'll die

That is the worst case scenario. Any competition is good competition, the 3% won't spawn anything better in 99.9% of cases.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Firefox is for stuff where I normally don't access in chrome, especially for history reason.
    But I still want all of those saved as history, and switching profile can be kinda pain. So firefox is the answer.

I just like how google stores all of my data. I don't mind them accessing and storing all my stuff as long as I can get the convenience in return.

• FF daily on Windows/linux/android machines.
    The best part for me is, it can copy selected columns only from a table on a webpage(I tried many other browsers but none of them can do this). And, FF portable is truly portable and does not impose any extra restrictions like Chrome portable.

• Firefox, Is my favor browser.

• Only one reason. <3

• Chrome on desktop and Firefox on android for ublock extension.

• @emgh said:
    Does it search through all of the page content by default when using page inspect?

I dislike it with Chrome that I have to expand child elements to be able to find them when doing CTRL + F.

Yes it does

Thanked by 1emgh
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited December 2022

Been using it as my default browser since 2006..
    Have been using firefox on android for the last 3 (with adblocking extensions...youtube no ads on mobile)

• I use Firefox ESR which is the default in Debian repositories

• Being FF advocate since 2004. Superior feature: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/. Also love its dev console. But I do have Chrome, solely for Google Meet (which allows blurring ONLY in Chrome :|)