Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you using Firefox to support its survival? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you using Firefox to support its survival?

Comments

• firefox with firemin on my old win10 laptop so i can have lots of tabs opened with less ram usage,

also have it on my android phone,

• I use FF as my main browser. :smile:

• <3 firefox here :)

• Firefox has been my daily browser for a long time.

tl;dr – Firefox is the bestest.

Google already has enough on us, so I hate the way they take it further within Chrome. Like turning your search bar into a keylogger, dictating web standards/frameworks, eg, they've crushed various APIs and frameworks for a while now to the point that even Microsoft's edge use Blink/Chromium. Since Manifest V3's announcement, I'm surprised more people haven't jumped shipped - realistically, most people don't care though.

EFF did a write up on Manifest V3

FF is also much lighter and uses way less RAM.

It also comes built-in with "containers" against sites like Facebook that don't let you get tracked accross the internet, has built in DNS-over-HTTPS and a whole host of other features that I appreciate.

Configuration wise, it's easily configurable to remove any telemetry, or tweak it the way you want - especially when using something like https://ffprofile.com/

The Mozilla foundation has made some weird partnerships as of late though (like Pocket) and a chunk of their income is reliant on Google paying them to be the default search engine. Their development team has been considerably downsized too, so it'll be interesting to see how it develops next year.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

I only use Firefox since it exists. Fully featured and fast. Every time I try to switch to Chrome or something else I go back to FF.

• for me firefox was broken, on win 7 and 10.
    chrome is heavy on ram, but still better.

• I using firefox for developer console, it more straightforward than using chrome

Thanked by 2pike ariq01
  • I am still using Firefox Lite on my very old phone. It's really good.

• Everytime I try to use FireFox it just feels like my DisplayPort cable went back to my old HDMI that was 60hz instead of my current 144 hz.

Animations just feel rougher and being to used to Chrome I just can’t take it.

• @ailice said:
    I using firefox for developer console, it more straightforward than using chrome

Does it search through all of the page content by default when using page inspect?

I dislike it with Chrome that I have to expand child elements to be able to find them when doing CTRL + F.

• Yea, I switched back to Firefox a couple months ago.

Did this after realizing almost 100% of the software I was using was Google: Gmail, chromebooks, chrome, google authenticator, gmail, google drive, and on and on

Spooked me after a while because google ads toward me were like reading my mind. So slowly moving everything away from Google, mostly done, but probably won't be giving up Google search.

• xespoxespo Member
    edited December 2022

Firefox works just fine. Good enough for the extra privacy and lack of Google-ness. It's more RAM hungry than chrome (on my machine) and more slow (on every machine), but it actually supports more sites for me than chrome does.

• @xespo said:
    Firefox works just fine. It's more RAM hungry than chrome (on my machine) and more slow (on every machine), but it actually supports more sites for me than chrome does.

Firefox more ram hungry?

• @emgh said:

@xespo said:
    Firefox works just fine. It's more RAM hungry than chrome (on my machine) and more slow (on every machine), but it actually supports more sites for me than chrome does.

Firefox more ram hungry?

on a Lubuntu 22.04 and the latest Fedora, firefox was more RAM hungry than chrome for me

• Firefox won't die. It is the default on many linux/bsd distros. "Tor Browser" is a fork of firefox.

Google Is Paying Mozilla $450M Per Year To Be The Default Search Engine On Firefox https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/08/mozilla-firefox-google-search

• My main is Edge and Brave. Firefox is slow so I use it as a backup only to test sometimes.

• I use Firefox too but mainly for important stuff like emails and reports.

• I have been using firefox from the time I became aware of its existence. Before that was mozilla and before that was netscape.

I am surprised to know the market share is so low. I have recentely run into some projects that support chrome but not firefox and i was curious why then I realised firefox had ~5% market share. wow

• I’ve been using Firefox ever since my first laptop/smartphone and will continue to use it.

• trycatchthis said:
    "Before that was mozilla and before that was netscape."

And before that, in 1993, was Mosaic, developed at NCSA, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications, at the U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champlain.

UIUC in the same era also developed the NCSA Web server, which some people took hold of and morphed into Apache (a patchy server).

Mosaic was the revolution. It was also painfully, absurdly slow on the average desktop PC. I'd frequently wait for a minute or more for it to display a Web page. Just crazy slow, unless you had really, extremely new and expensive everything. Such as, especially, a supercomputer.

But soon enough, Marc Andreesen, a Mosaic developer, vamoosed out of NCSA and co-founded Netscape. Version 0.9 of Netscape, in 1994, was a wonderful thing. And it just flew, compared to Mosaic. Thus RIP Mosaic, in a real hurry.

I think you could make a case to divide modern history in two... before and after Netscape 0.9.

Thanked by 2emg that_guy
  • ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

i use safari due to it smothly experience.

• @vitobotta said:
    I have started to use it a hour ago after many years. I think it would be bad for open standards if Firefox eventually died. What do you think? Are you using it / do you care?

90% of people are complete idiots when it comes to 90% of the things (myself included). What you, as an individual do, is not going to change that. Doing what lets you sleep well at night and providing a good example for the people you are in contact with is OK, but don't expect it to really change anything as that's generally highly unlikely.

Firefox has become buggy and I'm using it less and less often.

• Avoid Firefox due to bad security. https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/firefox-chromium.html

I use Firefox in a VM for containers features and occasional testing. Primary driver is Edge on Windows and Brave on Android.

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2022

A couple years ago my desktop PC was with Firefox on Debian, as it had been for the previous ~15 years. Mozilla then was already regressively stripping features from FF one by one: its featureful UI and its finer configurability it had over Chrome and its general orientation toward power users were eventually all lost when FF begun to feel like a dumb appliance with minimal UI and only basic user configurabilty, just like Chrome had been since its launch. Perhaps "dumb and minimal" are what conquered the market share for Chrome.

At that time I happened to try the open source Chromium because FF had also become a CPU / memory hog on my old desktop, just to see how it performed. With all add-ons installed and configured as I had on FF, Chromium was faster and leaner on memory. CPU load dropped and my browser was no longer a room heater when watching youtube.

Moving to Chromium I gained in performance / load times and security (check the "code execution" histogram on CVE) while the richer UI and configurability I lost from FF were sabotaged by Mozilla itself.

Thanked by 1Liso
  • nikozinnikozin Member
    edited December 2022

Firefox is faster than chrome, more responsive.

I hate the fact that when I login my Google account, it is attached to whole browser. I dislike it.

Example:
    Type anything firefox address bar. No lag.

Now type in Chrome, noticeable lag probably cause Chrome keeps sending telemetry/search data to Google.

• @nikozin said:
    Firefox is faster than chrome, more responsive.

I hate the fact that when I login my Google account, it is attached to whole browser. I dislike it.

Example:
    Type anything firefox address bar. No lag.

Now type in Chrome, noticeable lag probably cause Chrome keeps sending telemetry/search data to Google.

It seems performance differences depend on OS, and for linux on the window server used. I have no lag on the URL bar with Chromium, it's like typing text on Notepad despite I have a full browser history to draw search suggestions from.

I also dislike the account login integration with Chromium; I just don't use it.

• I use firefox on PC and android.

No tracker.
    meanwhile Chrome, Chrome always spying what I type, what I browse and what inside of my mind.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I know it comes down to personal experiences, but I think FF is the best browser out there today. It is my main browser, and I barely use Chromium and Brave as a secondary (and third) option.

• Main browser: firefox in pc n mobile
    Dev browser: edge n chrome, due to name resolving issue with ff on local server...

• Firefox used to be my daily driver for last few years, just previous month I tried out Chromium and I must say it feels so much smooth-- it is completely different with firefox. Now I use chromium mainly, probably later will switch to firefox incase adblock stopped working.

In my phone, I 100% utilize chrome, firefox android is much much slower than Chrome and sometimes will force close-- cannot really figure out why.

The only thing I used Opera, is to open blocked sites in my country :D opera had built-in vpn which works perfectly, just discovered easy way to install wireguard, so I'll ditch opera too. Still can't understand why some people use Opera as there browser, that thing is full of ads.