Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you using Firefox to support its survival?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you using Firefox to support its survival?

I have started to use it a hour ago after many years. I think it would be bad for open standards if Firefox eventually died. What do you think? Are you using it / do you care?

Comments

• Why do you think it will die?

• @plumberg said:
    Why do you think it will die?

It's market share has been in a steep decline for years now

• ivlad ivlad Member
    edited December 2022

I use Firefox for some things, but mostly chrome. I am a web designer, and most of my projects work best with chrome. Firefox is way too big to die and has way too many backers. What makes you say that Firefox would eventually die?

Thanked by 2Ympker nick_
  • Any sources?

• @plumberg said:
    Any sources?

It's known to be in decline but e.g.

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2022

I am using both Firefox and Opera.

Opera supports Windows XP which I still maintain for some people and firefox-esr is the go-to browser on all my Debian desktops.
    I would be sad if they would be gone, but there are alternatives still.
    A group of tech enthusiasts using something to stop its decline would not achieve that goal. Market forces would work, no matter what we would prefer.

• Only use Firefox here as the main browser from a long time.

• blackblack Member
    edited December 2022

I think there's some changes coming to chromium / chrome in early 2023 that'll restrict some ad blocking ability which will be a big boost to firefox's usage.

• I originally used Opera, until it started placing thousands and thousands of tiny files in some obscure folder that got up to about 40 GB.

After that I switched over to Firefox and went a few years without issue, but after one of the major updates about a year ago myself and others started having all kinds of weird issues with random tabs becoming tiny, crashes, images not loading, white pages, you name it I probably experienced it even after reinstalling multiple times. Ended up switching to Chrome and haven't had any issues since

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@black said: ad blocking

Real men use pi hole or similar. I dont use any because i have my brain and eyes trained to only see what i am interested in.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I use Firefox daily on desktop. On mobile I use Safari. I hate most other browsers. Hated the Firefox redesign done in version 9x but kind of used to it now. For me it's a feature-rich browser but does not feel bloated. Lots of other web browser feel too stripped down.

• I use Firefox because it's the superior browser.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MS said:
    I use Firefox because it's the superior browser.

I just started using it so genuine question: what makes it superior?

• Been using Firefox for over a decade now, and won't stop. Even shitty Mozilla policies(tracking etc) can be combated by using one of the privacy friendly forks of Firefox, like https://librewolf.net/ which removes all the sketchyness.

Thanked by 3rm_ ElonBezos that_guy
  • @treesmokah said:
    Been using Firefox for over a decade now, and won't stop. Even shitty Mozilla policies(tracking etc) can be combated by using one of the privacy friendly forks of Firefox, like https://librewolf.net/ which removes all the sketchyness.

Aren't you worried that these forks may not get security updates as often?

• @vitobotta said:

@treesmokah said:
    Been using Firefox for over a decade now, and won't stop. Even shitty Mozilla policies(tracking etc) can be combated by using one of the privacy friendly forks of Firefox, like https://librewolf.net/ which removes all the sketchyness.

Aren't you worried that these forks may not get security updates as often?

In case of Librewolf, its just a patchset and I personally compile it from source - get Firefox source from Mozilla and apply patches. If there is an urgent security fix and some of the patches break the browser, I'm willing to omit one of them until its fixed.

Thanked by 2Maounique Server
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I use Waterfox because it undoes many of the stupid decisions Mozilla has made, which lead to the decline of their market share in the first place. I suppose that still counts as FF use for the user-agent trackers though.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @black said: I think there's some changes coming to chromium / chrome in early 2023 that'll restrict some ad blocking ability which will be a big boost to firefox's usage.

this is no longer happening.

• Using FF and mostly nothing else since 50 years....

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Using it daily.

• @rm_ said:
    I use Waterfox because it undoes many of the stupid decisions Mozilla has made, which lead to the decline of their market share in the first place. I suppose that still counts as FF use for the user-agent trackers though.

Can you elaborate on Mozilla decisions undone by Waterfox?

• Will move when Chrome kills MV2 and ad blockers.

• @treesmokah said:
    ... using one of the privacy friendly forks of Firefox, like https://librewolf.net/ which removes all the sketchyness.

I like Librewolf. They have easy installs for most OSes, so no excuse to put it off. For some Linux distros it's in the usual repos. And there's a hinky-looking script for Debian-based distros that's much easier to use than it looks at first glance. Give it a try.

https://librewolf.net/installation/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2022

@vitobotta said: Can you elaborate on Mozilla decisions undone by Waterfox?

For me its' mostly UI -- the latest one is tabs which look like buttons are a complete nonsense; but also removing telemetry; and they also continue the Classic version which kept compatibility with all previous add-ons, which I used for a while as well: https://classic.waterfox.net/

• Made the switch to Firefox after my chrome startup time was soooo slow with all my extentions. Firefox much smoother. And since I am used to the container function of FF, I cant switch back.
    Overall very happy, but some pages do load better on Chromium.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I used to use Firefox when I needed a separate browsing environment for a different login or something.

Then incognito mode came along, and Firefox lost its relevance to me.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I am using Firefox as main browser on my Windows PC, just like ~10% of DACH region.

• I use firefox just because it has its own certificate store and proxy configuration instead of windows which affects everything.

• Using Firefox on android..

• My main browser 50% of time is Chrome on PC. Edge PC 10%.
    Firefox PC is 20%, it's very light and fast now.
    Edge Mobile 20%.