Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vim or nano? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vim or nano?

Comments

• @TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:
    Vi for Linux and Notepad for Windows. :)

Not even notepad++ in Windows?

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

Simply because it is not installed by default.

Step 1 of any new Windows install is hitting up ninite.com.

Who makes this rule? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it is required.

• Nano for me

• A real war is right here. Never have an ending. The end is nigh. :)

• +1 Nano

• Nano is OK, but I also like to install the Joe editor. Why? Because it has a Wordstar-like flavor called jstar, which reminds me of writing Z80 assembly code and documentation on a 4 MHz CP/M system with no hard drive and two floppy drives (the old kind of floppy that actually flopped in your hand) and 32 MB of memory. It's not a true Wordstar clone, because some of the commands are different. But by now I've pretty much forgotten the differences. Wordstar was surprisingly usable for its day. Back then you could edit the EPROM containing the BIOS routines, if you didn't like something. A lot of the "BIOS" was on the boot floppy, but as time went on, more of it got put in the EPROM. The whole setup was faster than my typing speed, though, which is still pretty much the limiting factor.

• Not a fan of vim, i use remote vscode

• Use vi when I have to, otherwise Visual Studio Code

• intellij + vim plugin :smile:

• nano is more than enough for editing configs

• emgemg Veteran

@Rookey said:
    Nano is OK, but I also like to install the Joe editor. Why? Because it has a Wordstar-like flavor called jstar, which reminds me of writing Z80 assembly code and documentation on a 4 MHz CP/M system with no hard drive and two floppy drives (the old kind of floppy that actually flopped in your hand) and 32 MB of memory. It's not a true Wordstar clone, because some of the commands are different. But by now I've pretty much forgotten the differences. Wordstar was surprisingly usable for its day. Back then you could edit the EPROM containing the BIOS routines, if you didn't like something. A lot of the "BIOS" was on the boot floppy, but as time went on, more of it got put in the EPROM. The whole setup was faster than my typing speed, though, which is still pretty much the limiting factor.

Aren't you kinda' old to be a Rookey?

I remember using Wordstar. You could tell who really knew Wordstar by whether they hid the hints bar that showed the CTRL character commands.

• Aren't you kinda' old to be a Rookey?

Heck, no. Retired in 2006, but still kicking. And I have to amuse myself somehow.

Thanked by 1emg
  • lol VIM is way ahead of Nano in just about every aspect. VIM +1

• both

• @Rookey said:
    Nano is OK, but I also like to install the Joe editor. Why? Because it has a Wordstar-like flavor called jstar, which reminds me of writing Z80 assembly code and documentation on a 4 MHz CP/M system with no hard drive and two floppy drives (the old kind of floppy that actually flopped in your hand) and 32 MB of memory. It's not a true Wordstar clone, because some of the commands are different. But by now I've pretty much forgotten the differences. Wordstar was surprisingly usable for its day. Back then you could edit the EPROM containing the BIOS routines, if you didn't like something. A lot of the "BIOS" was on the boot floppy, but as time went on, more of it got put in the EPROM. The whole setup was faster than my typing speed, though, which is still pretty much the limiting factor.

Whoa, a fellow joe user. I thought I was the only one. :smile:

On my own servers, I use joe. I do not remember why I settled on joe, but I've used it for probably 25 years so it just feels like home. I remember running joe even on ms-dos in the 1990's, but back then it was just called 'j' i believe.
    However, on other peoples system I am just fine using vi, emacs, pico or nano, whatever is the default. I realized a loooong time ago that when the majority of the work you do involves text, knowing how to use the text editor is a must so I simply adapted to the most common ones.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited November 2022

Default is nano for me but both are nice and have value.

Windows on the otherhand is pretty dogshit.

• +1 nano !

• @mrs92 said:
    Where are you now, vi/vim fanboys? Let me see your hand up. B)

• Vim!

• @jwg29859 said:

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

Simply because it is not installed by default.

Anyone who doesn't want Edge as their default browser.

• nano ftw!

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • emgemg Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

@TimboJones said:

Ninite.com is not required for Windows installations, nor is it needed to install alternate browsers. There are many ways to install a different browser. You can simply download and install the browser you want. Ninite.com may be Timbo's Step 1, but it is not everyone's Step 1.

Timbo knew all that.

• labraxlabrax Member
    edited November 2022

Back when I still noob How do you using vim without googling it first hehe, well nano on the hand is self explanatory

• Emacs!

• inlandinland Member
    edited November 2022

cat <file>
    copy the entire PuTTY screen to Notepad, possibly scrolling back thousands of lines
    make changes in Notepad
    paste the entire file back with echo

on especially crappy servers with high latency, this is often faster than using any remote editor at all

• Nano

• vim ftw!!

• nano

• lifehost360_comlifehost360_com Member, Host Rep

if possible: nano
    but also work with vim

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2022

@emg said:

@TimboJones said:

@jwg29859 said:

@TimboJones said:

Ninite.com is not required for Windows installations, nor is it needed to install alternate browsers. There are many ways to install a different browser. You can simply download and install the browser you want. Ninite.com may be Timbo's Step 1, but it is not everyone's Step 1.

Timbo knew all that.

Have you guys checked out ninite? It's just a silent installer so you can install a few necessary programs quickly. You could have said "I use chocolatey or winget.", etc. Going to 10 different sites and clicking through installers? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Edit: I'm guessing language difference, but "required" in the sense that some people require coffee in the morning before they can function...

Thanked by 1emg