Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vim or nano? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vim or nano?

Comments

• emgemg Veteran

Whatever is there. After a while, it doesn't matter any more. I was recently surprised to see nano pop up as the editor for the visudo command rather than vi on some recent distros. I will use nano or vi or vim or whatever is the default for the OS. I don't care.

I was going to say something about Emacs, but @ralf beat me to it. When I worked on Unix systems, I took the time to install it. At the time, I preferred Emacs over vi.

There are commercial editors, too. I have used BBEdit on the Mac since forever. I have used fancy paid editors on other platforms and liked some of them a lot, as long as the company paid for them. I can't remember all of their names, but I remember liking Visual SlickEdit. If I am colocated with others and they are all using a certain editor, I will use it too. It makes working together easier.

Some programming tools and interactive development environments (IDE) come with great editors. The java editor that came with IntelliJ IDEA was excellent. Rational's tools for Ada were also excellent.

Use whatever works for you. The editor should never get in your way, but the resulting text file will be the same no matter which editor(s) were used.

Thanked by 1borales
  • @masiqbal said:
    make a poll

Can no longer edit unfortunately but explanations are probably more interesting.

• @Mumbly said: I am not masochistic, so ... nano.

this is the only correct answer :smiley:

Thanked by 2Mumbly crilla
  • EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

nano all the way B)

Thanked by 1crilla
  • Neither nano nor vim.
    Been using punched cards ever since.

Thanked by 1emg
  • Both vim and nano.
    Nano is great when you are just editing env files or config files.
    For anything else, +1 for vim.

• nano

• nano, 100 %

• @farsighter said:
    Vim period.
    You can't beat vim with its persistent undo history, marks, saved sessions, color syntax highlighting, key-mapping, shortcuts, plugins and much more.

Features I've never, ever used.

@ralf said:
    that's the complaint most people level at vi!

Right. They just needs to memorize these sequences:
    Esc+ZZ - save and quit
    Esc+ZQ - quit without saving

Easier than nano (ctrl+x+confirmation dialog...)

This is the first time seeing "Z" involved. I was taught ":", which looks like still needs a shift if that's really a "Z" in your sequence. Z seems even less intuitive than ":".

It's pretty much exactly the same finger effort. Ctrl+o, x, works best for me.

• patropatro Member
    edited November 2022

Am I the only one that uses "zee" editor instead nano or vim ?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2022

@TimboJones said:
    This is the first time seeing "Z" involved. I was taught ":", which looks like still needs a shift if that's really a "Z" in your sequence.

Vim has many synonyms and multiple ways to do same tasks, so :x and ZZ are equivalent, :wq will also save and exit (only difference it will save the file even if it has not been modified).

About ZZ etc just test it yourself.

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

vim for life

• @farsighter said:

@TimboJones said:
    This is the first time seeing "Z" involved. I was taught ":", which looks like still needs a shift if that's really a "Z" in your sequence.

Vim has many synonyms and multiple ways to do same tasks, so :x and ZZ are equivalent, :wq will also save and exit (only difference it will save the file even if it has not been modified).

Holding down ESC and pressing another key seems awkward. Holding CTRL is better.

And is that esc+zz or esc+shift+z+z?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

+1 for vim of course. :)

Regarding :x or ZZ, it would be ZZ for me if I had a QWERTY keyboard layout but with QWERTZ the 'Z' is just in the middle of nowhere. :)

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2022

@TimboJones said:

@farsighter said:

@TimboJones said:

Holding down ESC and pressing another key seems awkward. Holding CTRL is better.

And is that esc+zz or esc+shift+z+z?

ESC is just to make sure you're out of 'insert' (editing) mode to avoid mistakes, no need to hold it. Just type ZZ

I should have made this clearer.

• Vim. Took some time to learn the basics using VIMTutor and it’s saved me so much time in the long run. It’s just a different way of thinking and once you get your head round it you’re golden.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Personally like nano, pointless overcomplicate life

• @WebProject said: pointless overcomplicate life

This whole forums existence builds upon overcomplicated life.

Imagine if we spent all the time we spent here on building something really nice and used DigitalOcean for the whole thing.

The average person on here would rather spend hours researching how to save 3 bucks a year than to spend those hours working making a whole lot more.

Obviously, I'm included.

• nano when possible

• mrs92mrs92 Member
    edited November 2022

Where are you now, vi/vim fanboys? Let me see your hand up. B)

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • My choice is vim. Vim can be simple if you deal with simple text and it can be very powerful if you deal with complicated text.

• VIM. Just because I'm used to it.

You should add poll btw

• I use Sublime for anything local and if I need to do any sort of edits from console I use nano cause its the first one I used and just kinda stuck with it.

• Vi for Linux and Notepad for Windows. :)

• Juniors are using nano, Seniors are using vim

Thanked by 1emg
  • nano
    probably because I'm new and lazy

• vi all the time <3

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2022

I've always used nano. I only use vim if I can't easily install nano lol... so anything with no connectivity. But vim is perfectly fine.