Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UrPad's poor support and terrible service. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UrPad's poor support and terrible service.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:
    In my view a scam is a pump and dump,

That is a very narrow (and incorrect) definition.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2013

@joepie91 said:
    That is a very narrow (and incorrect) definition.

For me it means both the ones that lie to customers about their intentions (solely making the brand to be sold) and the ones which have no intention to keep it past a couple of month, nor sell it, just make a quick buck from annual deals and be gone.

• Jeffrey said: And who's fault is that for not making backups?

From the provider. The same one which is PAID to do a good job. In this case (as almost in all other bad reviews we have here) URPAD (aka Root Level, K-Disk, FTN...etc).

I think you did not read the same phrase I did:

They migrated my vps with no notification, my backup script from another server was relying in the IP, so was broken. UrPad deleted backups from old server and they didn't make a backup system in the 3 weeks afterthe migration. Result: Failure and 2 weeks data lost.

Do you really believe the correct one in this history is URPAD?

The guy did not ask for a migration. If URPAD migrated, it needed to ASK if the migration could be a problem for the client and IF NOT it could migrate ALL server's data.

Are you trying to put the blame on the victim to suffer the injury?

How to put the blame on the woman who was raped for wearing short skirt?

He paid for the service and the service WAS NOT THERE.

If you were a PROVIDER, I could understand your position. But you are not.

• DragonDFDragonDF Member
    edited December 2013

Maounique said: In my view a scam is a pump and dump

When you are buying brands and trying to looks like BIG I think this is not the intention. It looks like the money they have are not forever. And what we could see recently can explains it.

It is the intention that matters, people knowing fully their model is not sustainable.

So, we have a problem here. If they really believe their model COULD work and after a time it showed they were WRONG, why did they not do the correct thing and were honest with clients? At least asked them: we are having problems to pay our partners, can we migrate you to our own locations? Which one do you prefer?

In a moment they knew the model was not sustainable. It was easy to not LOSE their clients in the first month, but after a time they did not renew (like you) their services.

Losing clients, bad reviews and the BRAND is each time being know as a BAD brand that you can not be confident.

• BlueVM said: That's odd, I have DVDs that are 15 years old (some a bit older) which still work perfectly... even a few backups from way back when I got my first DVD burner... Maybe my collection is an oddity.

Think it depends on the quality of the disk. The cheapest ones won't last long, the more expensive ones will.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said:
    Think it depends on the quality of the disk. The cheapest ones won't last long, the more expensive ones will.

Price != quality.

Thanked by 1tux
  • Optical media longevity

Based on our research, we have drawn the following conclusions:

The true life expectancy optical media is unknown and perhaps unknowable. Many factors affect optical media longevity. Longevity estimates depend on expensive, time-consuming, narrowly-defined tests, the results of which can be subject to wide interpretation. Tests conducted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have found wide variations in the stability of optical media, leading to wide variations in estimated longevity. In general, the estimated longevity of CD-Rs is more consistent than that of recordable DVDs. However, the handling and storage of optical media are often greater determinants of longevity than the stresses examined in longevity tests.
    Certified, archival-quality recordable optical media is unavailable and may never be available. While there is interest in long-lasting, "archival-quality" optical media in specific markets, no independent certification body exists. The costs of testing and certification, when compared to the potential market size and the rapid of evolution in optical media, has deterred manufacturers from marketing certified, archival-grade optical media.
    Neither "CD rot" nor "DVD rot" are chronic problems with optical media. Known cases have been attributed to specific, isolated manufacturing defects. However, improper care and handling of optical discs can result in damage leading to "rot."
    Attention to care and handling will promote the longevity of your optical media and the data saved thereon. By following the care and handling guidance provided by NIST, and by considering some important additional factors, you can reliably use optical media for backup purposes.
    Ultimately, the longevity of current recordable optical media formats may soon be a moot point: the emergence of the Blu-ray Disc™ and HD DVD formats will bring new questions and concerns regarding longevity, backward compatibility, and migration.

As our personal documents, pictures, music, and movies become bit streams subject to the vagaries of technical obsolescence, digital preservation will increasingly concern us all.

Font: thexlab.com/faqs/opticalmedialongevity.html

Lifespan of Optical Media

Tests performed by manufacturers often range from 30-100 years before disc contents are naturally destroyed and the data cannot be accessed. Independent research has shown these numbers to be more realistic in the 25-50 years category, which is plenty of time to enjoy the contents of the media, and then move the contents to the next viable storage format in a couple decades.

Of course, these calculations depend on discs being stored and used under normal circumstances, in typical household or office environments. Locations with unusually extreme conditions maybe lessen that by several factors, although the life will still be one of many years. An outdoor storage shed in Antarctica, for example, is probably not too hospitable. Neither would be a hut in the middle of the Amazonian rain forest. Those situations are naturally-occurring accelerants that induce increased lifespan reduction.

CD media can break down a bit faster than DVD due to the way the discs are constructed, especially the cheap CD-R and CD-ROMs that leave all or part of the metal foils exposed. Microscopic holes will form in the exposed metals, and craters will form in the dye (very similar appearance to phase change media craters) due to oxidizing. Some CD label glues are also known to be corrosive to the metals.

Other rare optical media ailments include metal- and plastic-eating bacteria, although it is only possible in a few tropical places in the world, and this microorganism behavior is atypical. It looks like tapeworms are sandwiched in the disc, quite disgusting. The cause for this is largely unknown, as the rarity makes it hard to research.

Ironically, there have even been some studies that show recordable media could outlast pressed media, because of the extra care that has been put into the various recordable materials.

These are, of course, mean averages. There will always be the unusual disc that dies in two years and the one that lasts 100 years, but such occurrences will not be widespread. Most people who feel they belong in this minority will still likely be incorrect, and should refer to the myth section above.

Lifespan of Magnetic Tape Media

While clearly inferior to optical media, magnetic tape is not too far behind its laser-written brother. Tape media varies greatly from format to format. The larger and thicker broadcast/studio/archival tapes that have been reinforced chemically to repel the elements can last several decades, and there are tapes that can still be read after 30-40 years.

At the other end of the spectrum are consumer formats like VHS, which start to degrade within 10-25 years. Most of the video tapes manufactured in the 1970s and 1980s tend to be more durable than the thinner and cheaper tapes that flooded the market in the 1990s and are still sold new today. There are also various grades of VHS tape, from standard consumer, to advanced consumer, to professional and broadcast grades; the particle density and tape perfection being the primary discrimination between the grades.

digitalfaq.com/guides/media/longevity.htm#ixzz2nhvUOfyP

• joepie91 said: Price != quality.

You are very right, I worded it wrong.

The lower-quality disks (usually the cheaper ones) will not last as long as the higher-quality disks (usually the more expensive ones).

:-)

• @mpkossen said:
    The lower-quality disks (usually the cheaper ones) will not last as long as the higher-quality disks

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • So, just rub it to the disk?

• edited December 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    sergiodelatorre And who's fault is that for not making backups?

Who's responsibility is that for not notify migration?

Who's responsibility is that for not making backups during a migration?

Who's responsibility is that for a large downtimes?

Who's responsibility is that for a useless service?

One server, thu-fri downtimes:

Another server, mon downtimes:

Responsibility who?

• @sergiodelatorre Sure, they could have done better, but what can you expect for that price range? Really, how much can you guys expect from a VPS under $10/Month? If you want a reliable service where support is truly 24/7 and backups are made, then go for a premium provider, not a low end one. And no, I am not an employee for UrPad.

• @Jeffrey said:
    sergiodelatorre Sure, they could have done better, but what can you expect for that price range?

Professionalism

• @sergiodelatorre At $20/Month, sure.

• @Jeffrey said:
    sergiodelatorre At $20/Month, sure.

Why are you on this site then?

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited December 2013

@serverian More like, why wouldn't I be on this site? Server deals under $7/Month that are great for the price. However, that does not mean I expect much from them as far as performance, reliability, and support goes.

• @Jeffrey said:
    serverian More like, why wouldn't I be on this site? Server deals under $7/Month that are great for the price. However, that does not mean I expect much from them as far as performance, reliability, and support goes.

The top 3 providers provide those within that price. They provide much better reliability than most of the expensive ones.

• @serverian Yeah they sure do, but it's pretty amazing how they possibly could under this price range, isn't it?

• @Jeffrey said:
    sergiodelatorre Sure, they could have done better, but what can you expect for that price range? Really, how much can you guys expect from a VPS under $10/Month? If you want a reliable service where support is truly 24/7 and backups are made, then go for a premium provider, not a low end one. And no, I am not an employee for UrPad.

I can not believe you wrote this.
    Wait... I read again and you WROTE IT.

We have amazing providers here. Low end providers that you can get for the same or just a few bucks or cents more than you will pay in URPAD.

THEY DO NOT COST $20/month as you think. Here the maximum price for an offer is $7.

Where you live everyone has a Ferrari, right?
    Or do you expect that another car can be good for under $200,000.00 ?

If I think like you, cars under this price can not be good.

Sure you are thinking with your experience. Mine is really different than yours. A lot.

If I will sell anything for you, this thing needs to WORK. To be used for what it was made for.

URPAD is a hosting company. They (owners) need to do what a company like this need to do: HOST.
    If they use a kind of model with LOW price, this was their choice. Do you really imagine that if they had the same price of the BIG GUYS over there, they would have at least 100 clients?

serverian said: Why are you on this site then?

I could not ask anything better. \o/

• @DragonDF That's your opinion, not mine. I will stand by myself on my own opinion. I have purchased plenty of cheap items in the past, and usually, when you pay more, the better it is, especially hardware wise, whether its from a simple light bulb to the engine in your vehicle. You pay for what you get.

• Yes, but this does not MEAN what you pay less will not work. It can has a worst duration. An ugly appearance. But it needs to work.
    You can pay more on a TV because it is LED. But you can not say that in the other one you can not watch the same movies.

Coming back to Hosting niche: you can read here polls with LET provider's winners because they are good companies with support and price. Not the same support as the biggest ones? I can not compare. But I am sure the service is very good and they RESPECT the clients.

Jeffrey said: I will stand by myself on my own opinion.

I am sure about this.

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited December 2013

Jeffrey said: Sure

Then I guess I won't be ordering from Hostingite, they won't do backups themselves because it's all leb apparently.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @DragonDF I am sure about that too.

• @duckeeyuck Nobody said our plans will be leb pricing.

• serverian said: it instead of

So- Just saying..This is why I started this thread.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited December 2013

Now now, I think I let most off you go off topic without having a whinge (which I shouldn't of done because it went into some crazy DVD as disk crazy'ness).

I still have issues with UrPad on two servers now.

Luis

Daniel,

We are really sorry for the troubles caused. Shall we go ahead and try migrating your VPS to different hardware node? Please do verify and update us, if you need any further help.

Thanks

Me

Why do I have to move nodes? Why can't you just fix the one I'm on?

If I do change what's the connectivity to Australia like?
    Do I have to change IP? (I don't want to)
    Will you back up the server before moving it?

Luis

Hello,

I will check if I can do something better other than transferring your vps to other node.

Luis again

Daniel,

No need of changing IP's or to backup the datas, we will just move the VPS with datas, IP address and location would remain the same.

Because not backing up the data is a smart f'ing idea.

Me, server went offline randomly

Is there a reason my VPS is down? I haven't agreed to anything...

Luis

Sorry for the troubles and this should be fine now.

--- xxxx.x.x.x.x ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 257.269/257.552/257.835/0.283 ms

Thanks

Me

If we are to move this server to a new node I would like a backup made and downloaded before we begin.

Also if I move to another node how can I be sure this won't happen again?

Me, day later

Can I get an answer on this or not? I/O is still crap as usual.

root@byondpanel:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output.img bs=8k count=256k
    262144+0 records in
    262144+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 70.4367 s, 30.5 MB/s

Luis

Daniel,

We are still working on this and keep you updated. Please hold on.

Thanks

Luis again

We are in the process of arranging a new server and you will be the first one who will be moved, if you are fine with this migration. Please check and advice.

Thanks

Me

As said above I would like a backup taken first of both servers and uploaded somewhere I can access them, I would also like both servers moved as the speed on my other one is also terrible.

Please ensure the IP doesn't change, please move 209.148.95.37 first once I'm happy with the move I'll give the go ahead on the other server.

Luis

Daniel,

We will make sure the old & new VPS will be online after migration. Also, we will migrate the VPS 1.1.1.38 first and update you once our new hardware node is ready.

Please hold on for further updates.

Thanks

Me

Luis ..

That's not what I've asked for, I want 1.1.1.37 to be moved first, keeping the IP.

I would also like a backup taken of 1.1.1.38

Luis

We will migrate the VPS 1.1.1.37 first (including data) and update you once our new hardware node is ready. Also, please do take a local backup of important data from your end as well (just for safety purpose).

Thanks

Now I don't mind taking local backups, I do that every day, why is he avoiding my request to have the system backed up so I can download the whole image? is this some sort of issue with providers?

He doesn't seem to understand any of my questions I swear he is either brain dead or really under pressure, either one he just needs to take a few more minutes to read my request and if he doesn't understand it Google or ask someone..

So my two VPS's will be moved to a new node whenever that node is installed, currently I can't even nano into a file without it taking 10 minutes.

I would really like a response from @ChrisMiller or Randal but it seems they would rather play on WHT than LET.

I would really advise everyone to stay away from these guys the performance is terrible, the support is shite and very frustrating....

tl;dr UrPad is shit.

• ATHK said: UrPad is shit

Be welcome!
    After 20 post in this thread you could understand it.

Chris Miller does not come here usually. Only when a spy from here send an email to him asking for a reply. You can send PM, e-mail or anything else. He will not reply.

And he is not the owner of URPAD's brand, anymore. Root Level is.

Move on and be happy as I am today (sure I want a refund of 6 months + my last backup, yet).

I can not understand why you insist. You look like me in a short past.

• @DragonDF said:

Huh, what?

Anyway RLT (Root level technology) is either owned or ran by Randal Burns, I believe he goes by @RandalRLT here or something, can't be arsed searching as I don't really care they never respond here anyway..

• Jeffrey said: @duckeeyuck Nobody said our plans will be leb pricing.

I sure hope you won't be charging per ticket.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@ATHK said:
    dont seem to be monitoring their servers

Bingo! Providing quality service in an OpenVZ environment does take a lot of monitoring and management to ensure TOS violators are promptly booted.