Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UrPad's poor support and terrible service. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UrPad's poor support and terrible service.

Comments

• I thought to use it as a second backup to photos and videos.

25Gb it not so much, but it is much better than DVD. :)

• @DragonDF said:
    Are you serious about BACKUP in a DVD?

A DVD is much better for backups than the Colorado 120MB tape drive I used to backup my PCs in the '90's .

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @DomainBop said:
    A DVD is much better for backups than the Colorado 120MB tape drive I used to backup my PCs in the '90's .

Don't tapes last a lot longer than DVDs?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

No, depending on technology, they get demagnetized and even sticky and elongated.
    Many DVDs last for years if kept away from heat and sun.
    However, a high quality tape can last for tens of years, but also, pressed DVDs should last forever.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited December 2013

c0y said: 500 containers on a node is overloading? sarcasm (openvz starts counting at 100, when a container is destroyed it usually keeps counting. The 16.7k are the amount of containers EVER provisioned on that node)

That's incorrect. It's the amount of containers ever provisioned by the company at the time your VPS was created.

mpkossen said: Don't tapes last a lot longer than DVDs?

Not if you're reading/writing to them a lot. If you write your backups once and stick it on a shelf in a cool, dry place they can last quite a while (~30 years for most)... DVDs by contrast (DVD-R not RW) should last 50 - 100 years under the aforementioned process (EG: burn and store correctly).

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Well this has gotten pretty of topic :)

Luis has given me the option of moving to another node... Sigh.. Or he'll "look into doing something about the issue"

I think it's probably time to move to a host that actually cares someone with more of a reputation.. Ramnode comes to mind..

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2013

Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
    -- Linus Torvalds

That said i also use DVDs for important stuff. I don't really need much from 5 or 10 years ago.

There is always the NSA mirror.

Thanked by 3tux netomx mpkossen
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    There is always the NSA mirror.

am I too silly now, or are you just funny? I'm laughing a lot with your comments lately

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@BlueVM said:
    DVDs by contrast (DVD-R not RW) should last 50 - 100 years under the aforementioned process (EG: burn and store correctly).

Actually, the practical lifespan of a DVD-R is more like 5-10 years, even in optimal storage conditions. It's really quite disappointing. There's now supposedly a DVD-variant named M-Disc that will last "1000 years"... but I'm skeptical.

@netomx said:
    am I too silly now, or are you just funny? I'm laughing a lot with your comments lately

Well, since i started to write one-liners it seems more people bother to read :)

Thanked by 2netomx AnthonySmith
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Well, since i started to write one-liners it seems more people bother to read :)

true

• joepie91 said: Actually, the practical lifespan of a DVD-R is more like 5-10 years, even in optimal storage conditions. It's really quite disappointing. There's now supposedly a DVD-variant named M-Disc that will last "1000 years"... but I'm skeptical.

That's odd, I have DVDs that are 15 years old (some a bit older) which still work perfectly... even a few backups from way back when I got my first DVD burner... Maybe my collection is an oddity.

• @serverian said:
    All you need to do is asking a backup of your VM or container and any provider would be able to import that image easily.

I didn't know you could ask for that. Don't know if normally providers are willing to this for customers.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited December 2013

I can't comment specifically on UrPad today.

However, it appears that two other providers that I have been using were recently "acquired" by RLT ... and it has not been a good thing; with similar support mistakes and issues (including misconfiguration and data corruption).

I had to cancel one and now about to do the same with the other.

I am fearful of any other providers being consumed by them.

Thanked by 1DragonDF

geekalot said: I am fearful of any other providers being consumed by them.

The market is very bad. Expect more providers to either die or be aquired. It is no longer making money, even for scams :)

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @Maounique, I have been sensing that.

If the consolidations continue, we will only have a few provider choices that we may not like at all.

@Maounique said:
    The market is very bad. Expect more providers to either die or be aquired. It is no longer making money, even for scams :)

geekalot said: If the consolidations continue, we will only have a few provider choices that we may not like at all.

The economic theory claims that the good ones will remain. Not liking the good ones is your problem :)
    Neah, it will be far from drying out, but the offer will be closer to the demand and prices will stabilize function of quality, not of quantity.

• @ATHK said:
    Well this has gotten pretty of topic :)

Luis has given me the option of moving to another node... Sigh.. Or he'll "look into doing something about the issue"

I think it's probably time to move to a host that actually cares someone with more of a reputation.. Ramnode comes to mind..

When a provider suggests moving to a new (less crowded, better performing) node you should take it as a sign to change providers. You might enjoy better performance for a few weeks, or even months, on a new node at Urpad but the odds are eventually the same problems will occur on the new node if the provider doesn't properly manage or monitor their nodes.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @DomainBop thanks!

Now my server magically has gone offline.. Fantastic..

• mine too.

Move on, people, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but in the end decided not to renew. It might recover, but I will come back then if it does.
    I had some 10 months of acceptable service, worth it 21 $, even tho there might be better deals with better service, I do not feel scammed in the end.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • I have 3 vps's with them, one of my vps has offline more than 12 hours. ticket just responded by escallation rules.

@BlueVM said: That's odd, I have DVDs that are 15 years old (some a bit older) which still work perfectly... even a few backups from way back when I got my first DVD burner... Maybe my collection is an oddity.

It depends on various factors, such as climate and quality of the disc (there was one particular factory that was known for producing high-quality DVDs for various brands). Overall though, 5-10 years is a safe lifespan to assume.

• I left UrPad after similar issues, They migrated my vps with no notification, my backup script from another server was relying in the IP, so was broken. UrPad deleted backups from old server and they didn't make a backup system in the 3 weeks afterthe migration. Result: Failure and 2 weeks data lost.

The peformance after migration was unusable.

If you have an UrPad VPS... RUN

Thanked by 1DragonDF

On-topic: can't say I'm surprised. Seeing constant network blips for UrPad.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @ATHK said:

Do you really think it will start to be a good company after a few days?
    Its history has not started today.

As I told before, you can type URPAD here or in WHT to see the bad reviews. Mine is just one example. I showed the payments here in a thread and I was never refunded. And the worst part, my last and actual data was gone.

All members said the same thing. Its service is each day worst. If you are afraid about the price, I can assure you can find others with the same price or a bit more with a better quality here.

BlueVM said: That's odd, I have DVDs that are 15 years old (some a bit older) which still work perfectly... even a few backups from way back when I got my first DVD burner... Maybe my collection is an oddity.

Do you (or other member) have experience with Blu-ray?
    I think DVD is a good idea because every computer can write it. Not the same thing with Blu-ray.

Maounique said: The market is very bad. Expect more providers to either die or be aquired. It is no longer making money, even for scams :)

Yes, I agree. They can not refund $7 for a client. They are really needing money.
    I had to laugh. 'even for scams' hahahhh. The good part is 'even for scams'. :)

DomainBop said: When a provider suggests moving to a new (less crowded, better performing) node you should take it as a sign to change providers. You might enjoy better performance for a few weeks, or even months, on a new node at Urpad but the odds are eventually the same problems will occur on the new node if the provider doesn't properly manage or monitor their nodes.

Specially when it is migrating from a big structure to a old and little one. For me it means something that was planned did not happen.

ATHK said: Now my server magically has gone offline.. Fantastic..

@MorningIris said:
    mine too.

xphones said: I have 3 vps's with them, one of my vps has offline more than 12 hours. ticket just responded by escallation rules.

I hope you had a backup. If I knew Root Level before or had read reviews before I had problem with it, I think I did not need to have all headache I had. It is not easy to believe a company buys a brand and make the reputation of this brand goes to the lowest level possible.

Maounique said: Move on, people,

I have the same suggestion.

sergiodelatorre said: I left UrPad after similar issues, They migrated my vps with no notification, my backup script from another server was relying in the IP, so was broken. UrPad deleted backups from old server and they didn't make a backup system in the 3 weeks afterthe migration. Result: Failure and 2 weeks data lost.

The peformance after migration was unusable.

If you have an UrPad VPS... RUN

So, I will not see my Backup's data anymore. :(

DragonDF said: The good part is 'even for scams'. :)

TBH I do not consider Urpad a scam. At least while I was with them I got more or less what I paid for.
    In my view a scam is a pump and dump, even if they get aquired and not disappear like the proverbial donkey in the fog which happens sadly pretty often.
    It is the intention that matters, people knowing fully their model is not sustainable.
    The market is so bad that even those cannot make money out of it anymore, or not enough to be worth it the hours invested.
    Building a brand here is a lot of honest work, a lot of sweat and tears. Even so, it may not work. Many good working people get bashed here and this is sad. From where I stand Urpad and RLT really thought this can work, but it isnt, it is sad but seems to be true.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • How about those 3MB Floppy Disks I have lying around? They should be great! :D

• @sergiodelatorre And who's fault is that for not making backups?