Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Pre-Black Friday 2022 Email Hosting Offer - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Pre-Black Friday 2022 Email Hosting Offer

Comments

• @seenu no such thing in hosting. Those doing it might be sketchy.
    In software licenses , that's another story but on services that are paid by the provider monthly and with this energy prices... are you crazy?

@jar smart. Charging at a price for 25 years, is kind of a mental game. Love it.

Thanked by 2jar seenu
  • frozfroz Member
    edited October 2022

I've been running mailcow on a VPS. Just bought the 3 year with mxroute because it sounds so enticing!

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use crossbox. since I only see Roundcube, Snapp, and Rainloop as options on the admin portal.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I've been using MXRoute for a few months now after Zoho and I really like it. It looks very basic on the surface compared to other services I have used but both the pricing and the deliverability are awesome. Recommended

Thanked by 2jar ehab
  • Been on that 100GB/$10/year plan on London (basically a unicorn)

10/10

Thanked by 2jar skorous
  • @mikewazar said:
    Been on that 100GB/$10/year plan on London (basically a unicorn)

10/10

I'd honestly kill for that plan

Thanked by 1jar
  • CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

@froz said: Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use crossbox. since I only see Roundcube, Snapp, and Rainloop as options on the admin portal.

You can use https://mail.mxlogin.com/ directly or log in as admin@ and create your own webmail URL: https://mxroutedocs.com/branding/crossbox/

Thanked by 3jar froz eva2000
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@CrossBox said:

@froz said: Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use crossbox. since I only see Roundcube, Snapp, and Rainloop as options on the admin portal.

You can use https://mail.mxlogin.com/ directly or log in as admin@ and create your own webmail URL: https://mxroutedocs.com/branding/crossbox/

Yeah the menus are screwing up, I need to revisit it. There's a clearly hard link to Crossbox in the template and yet it won't appear.

• Are there some tried and tested scripts for transfering your account and mailboxes from your current provider over?

Thanked by 1jar

@rchurch said:
    Are there some tried and tested scripts for transfering your account and mailboxes from your current provider over?

Imapsync is pretty tried and true.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @jar said:

@rchurch said:
    Are there some tried and tested scripts for transfering your account and mailboxes from your current provider over?

Do you know of a good howto?

The official Imapsync website of rather hard on my eyes.

@rchurch said: Do you know of a good howto?

There is a GUI version of the app but personally I prefer the command line for everything. Toss it on a VPS and just let it run in the background where it isn't in your way. I like this guide: https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-migrate-mailboxes-between-imap-servers-with-imapsync

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @rchurch said:

@jar said:

@rchurch said:

imapsync --host1 imap.from-server.tld --port1 993 --user1 [email protected] --ssl1 --host2  imap.to-server.tld --user2 [email protected] --port2 993 --ssl2 --authmech1 PLAIN --authmech2 PLAIN --addheader

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @Hotmarer said:

@rchurch said:

@jar said:

@rchurch said:

imapsync --host1 imap.from-server.tld --port1 993 --user1 [email protected] --ssl1 --host2  imap.to-server.tld --user2 [email protected] --port2 993 --ssl2 --authmech1 PLAIN --authmech2 PLAIN --addheader

How do you handle it if domain.tld is the same on both ends, ie you are moving the mail for the domain?

Are the mailbox and contents independent of the imap server used?

Is it like transferring a database from one server to another used, then telling the MX system to route mail to that user@domain to the new server?

If some late arriving emails are still with the original server will it be possible to get them over even if new incoming email is being sent to the new server?

@rchurch said: Are the mailbox and contents independent of the imap server used?

Yeah it won't matter much. For example, I have [email protected] configured on both arrow.mxrouting.net and blizzard.mxrouting.net, which are so separate that they could just as well be with two different companies. So then I'd take:

@rchurch said: imapsync --host1 imap.from-server.tld --port1 993 --user1 [email protected] --ssl1 --host2 imap.to-server.tld --user2 [email protected] --port2 993 --ssl2 --authmech1 PLAIN --authmech2 PLAIN --addheader

And I'd turn it into:

imapsync --host1 arrow.mxrouting.net --port1 993 --user1 [email protected] --ssl1 --host2 blizzard.mxrouting.net --user2 [email protected] --port2 993 --ssl2 --authmech1 PLAIN --authmech2 PLAIN --addheader

It's chargeback season, I've finally had enough and secured a collection agency. NOT for past due accounts, just for chargebacks. All I really want is for people so on the fence that they feel like they might charge back to just not sign up.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2022

@jar said:

@rchurch said: Are the mailbox and contents independent of the imap server used?

Yeah it won't matter much. For example, I have [email protected] configured on both arrow.mxrouting.net and blizzard.mxrouting.net, which are so separate that they could just as well be with two different companies. So then I'd take:

@rchurch said: imapsync --host1 imap.from-server.tld --port1 993 --user1 [email protected] --ssl1 --host2 imap.to-server.tld --user2 [email protected] --port2 993 --ssl2 --authmech1 PLAIN --authmech2 PLAIN --addheader

And I'd turn it into:

imapsync --host1 arrow.mxrouting.net --port1 993 --user1 [email protected] --ssl1 --host2 blizzard.mxrouting.net --user2 [email protected] --port2 993 --ssl2 --authmech1 PLAIN --authmech2 PLAIN --addheader

Does that delete mail from the old mailbox? I found that's the simplest way to deal with later arriving emails after the massive transfer happens. Otherwise, it's just a matter of figuring out the time when new stuff arrived and adjust command line to only do the new stuff.

Or was there a no duplicate option? It's been ages since I last used it and recall there being a few gotchas (like gmail rate limiting).

@TimboJones said:

@jar said:

And I'd turn it into:

Does that delete mail from the old mailbox? I found that's the simplest way to deal with later arriving emails after the massive transfer happens. Otherwise, it's just a matter of figuring out the time when new stuff arrived and adjust command line to only do the new stuff.

Or was there a no duplicate option? It's been ages since I last used it and recall there being a few gotchas (like gmail rate limiting).

If all goes as planned it should work like an rsync where it just synchronizes the two together. In practice there are sometimes some mild oddities. Duplication isn't one I hear often, but weird IMAP folder subscriptions to folders that never existed anywhere is actually one I hear often.

Thanked by 2TimboJones pepa65
  • HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited October 2022

@TimboJones said: Does that delete mail from the old mailbox?

No

Four-point email account migration plan:
    1. You are changing the domain's MX records to the new MX server.
    2. You wait 24 hours for it to be properly broadcast. During this time, you get new mails on a new MX server (a few may end up on the old MX server).
    3. After 24 hours you are syncing the emails from the old server to the new server using my command above.
    4. You force @jar to make a 5/10$ plan so I can buy it.

Thanked by 2rchurch TimboJones
  • CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

@rchurch said: Are there some tried and tested scripts for transfering your account and mailboxes from your current provider over?

Yes, there is imapsync (an excellent tool for tech-savvy users), but if you don't want to fiddle with servers and command lines, then you can use the import tool that is already available to you via your mxlogin app:

https://mail.mxlogin.com/#!/user/settings/mail-importer

screenshot

• It features a nice GUI that lets you choose which remote folders you want to import or skip (with fancy remote-to-local mapping if you ever need one).
    • Real-time progress shows what's happening in the background and when to expect the completion.
    • You can run the same import job repeatedly if, for example, you received additional emails before you switched your MX record (in that case, it will just copy new emails).
    • You can import from Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, or any other IMAP server.
    • The import job is run directly on the mxroute server with all traffic encrypted, so you can rest assured your emails are transferred safely without any third-party servers involved.
    • Unlike imapsync (written in Perl), the backend for the importer is written in Golang, meaning higher throughput and faster transfer times.
  • @CrossBox said:

• Unlike imapsync (written in Perl), the backend for the importer is written in Golang, meaning higher throughput and faster transfer times.

Is this open source software?

• frozfroz Member
    edited October 2022

For those of you having trouble with compiling / installing imapsync these were my notes for it. It's free to use, compile, and install.

These were my installation notes of imapsync for any ubuntu 20.04+ machine as of 10/16/2022

Update Ubuntu Repos

sudo apt-get update

Install imapsync perl requirements

sudo apt-get install \
    apt-file \
    cpanminus \
    gcc \
    libauthen-ntlm-perl \
    libcgi-pm-perl \
    libclass-load-perl \
    libcrypt-ssleay-perl \
    libdata-uniqid-perl \
    libdigest-hmac-perl \
    libdist-checkconflicts-perl \
    libencode-imaputf7-perl \
    libfile-copy-recursive-perl \
    libfile-tail-perl \
    libio-compress-perl \
    libio-socket-inet6-perl \
    libio-socket-ssl-perl \
    libio-tee-perl \
    libmail-imapclient-perl \
    libmodule-scandeps-perl \
    libnet-dbus-perl \
    libnet-ssleay-perl \
    libpar-packer-perl \
    libreadonly-perl \
    libregexp-common-perl \
    libssl-dev \
    libsys-meminfo-perl \
    libterm-readkey-perl \
    libtest-deep-perl \
    libtest-fatal-perl \
    libtest-mock-guard-perl \
    libtest-mockobject-perl \
    libtest-nowarnings-perl \
    libtest-pod-perl \
    libtest-requires-perl \
    libtest-simple-perl \
    libtest-warn-perl \
    libunicode-string-perl \
    liburi-perl

sudo apt-file update

Install CPAN modules

sudo cpanm Encode::IMAPUTF7 
    sudo cpanm Crypt::OpenSSL::RSA Crypt::OpenSSL::Random --force
    sudo cpanm Mail::IMAPClient JSON::WebToken Test::MockObject 
    sudo cpanm Unicode::String Data::Uniqid

Clone the imapsync Repo and Compile imapsync

git clone https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync.git
    cd imapsync
    mkdir -p dist
    sudo make install

Usage

If the above compiled without errors you should be good to go! You can run imapsync or ./imapsync from the same directory now!

Example usage

imapsync --host1 imap.source.example.com  \
           --user1 [email protected]         \
           --password1 S0urcePassw0rd       \
           --ssl1               \
           --host2 imap.dest.example.com    \
           --user2 [email protected]         \
           --password2 Dest1nat10NPassw0rd  \
           --ssl2

Thanked by 3jar pepa65 ariq01
  • If you have Docker installed, you can skip compiling and simply prefix your command with "docker run gilleslamiral/imapsync"

• @Peppery9 said:
    If you have Docker installed, you can skip compiling and simply prefix your command with "docker run gilleslamiral/imapsync"

Oh my god why I gotta do everything the hard way. Docker is sorcery.

• Those who are new to docker, you might want to add
    alias imapsync="docker run --rm gilleslamiral/imapsync imapsync"
    on your ~/.bashrc file

Thanked by 4Erisa froz User ariq01
  • @CrossBox said:

@rchurch said: Are there some tried and tested scripts for transfering your account and mailboxes from your current provider over?

Yes, there is imapsync (an excellent tool for tech-savvy users), but if you don't want to fiddle with servers and command lines, then you can use the import tool that is already available to you via your mxlogin app:

screenshot

• It features a nice GUI that lets you choose which remote folders you want to import or skip (with fancy remote-to-local mapping if you ever need one).

What does MXLogin actually do?

Are they an email provider? I can't find any information describing what they do.

• @Hotmarer said:

No

2. You wait 24 hours for it to be properly broadcast. During this time, you get new mails on a new MX server (a few may end up on the old MX server).
    3. After 24 hours you are syncing the emails from the old server to the new server using my command above.

As I understand it this is what I have to do.

1. I first create an account on MXRoute

2. After I am allocated my mailbox storage, for all accountname/domains combination I want to transfer I create a mailbox for it at MXRoute.

3. I change my MX records to MX Route, then wait 24 hours

4. I run imapsync on each account/domain combination. I assume that imapsync does not delete the transferred emails from the original provider.

5. If my account users use my domain in their IMAP, SMTP and POP settings in their mail clients I update the DNS servers to point to MXroute's services.

6. I ran imapsync again to transfer any emails again which wound up at the original provider.

Is that right.

Point 5 seems to be the tricky bit if I don't want any irate users.

How do I handle that?

Thanked by 1Hotmarer
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2022

@froz said:

@Peppery9 said:
    If you have Docker installed, you can skip compiling and simply prefix your command with "docker run gilleslamiral/imapsync"

Oh my god why I gotta do everything the hard way. Docker is sorcery.

My brother in christ, that is literally one command.

Edit: read that the wrong way, only if I scrolled up one post

Thanked by 1froz
  • @rchurch said:

@CrossBox said:

screenshot

What does MXLogin actually do?

Are they an email provider? I can't find any information describing what they do.

MXlogin is MXroute's whitelabel domain. CrossBox (a.k.a mail.mxlogin.com) is one of the many webmail UIs out there (it should be better than other offerings in most cases though).

@rchurch said:

@Hotmarer said:

No

As I understand it this is what I have to do.

1. I first create an account on MXRoute

2. After I am allocated my mailbox storage, for all accountname/domains combination I want to transfer I create a mailbox for it at MXRoute.

3. I change my MX records to MX Route, then wait 24 hours

4. I run imapsync on each account/domain combination. I assume that imapsync does not delete the transferred emails from the original provider.

5. If my account users use my domain in their IMAP, SMTP and POP settings in their mail clients I update the DNS servers to point to MXroute's services.

6. I ran imapsync again to transfer any emails again which wound up at the original provider.

Is that right.

Point 5 seems to be the tricky bit if I don't want any irate users.

How do I handle that?

If you used your own domain as the host for email client setups, you could just point the CNAME to your MXroute server. However, I don't know any way to recover user's passwords. I'm pretty sure you'll have to set up a new one.

Thanked by 1CrossBox
  • Could you offer a smaller plan for people with basic usage. Something along $10/year lines?

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited October 2022

@machinetto said:
    Could you offer a smaller plan for people with basic usage. Something along $10/year lines?

There was one of these (I have it) during Black Friday 2021. The disk space seems to be 10 GB.
    Doubt there would be one again this year, so would recommend taking the current offer if you want something cheaper than the regular rates. Unless jar surprises us all..

Thanked by 3jar machinetto Hotmarer