Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Any other American based businesses being booted from CoinPayments?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Any other American based businesses being booted from CoinPayments?

MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep
edited April 30 in Providers

Was shocked to see notification that our merchant account would be ended by them in one month. I was told it was because I'm in a restricted country.

Well, my business is registered in Wyoming, I was born and raised and still currently live in the United States Midwest... so clearly this is a mistake on their behalf, right? Not according to them.

Hi there,

Thank you for writing back,

We do understand your issue, However, following our most recent guidelines, we will no longer provide service to customers residing in the United States. I am sorry and there is nothing further we can do for you in this regard.​

If you have any funds on your account you should be able to remove these at your end without any problems, however, should you have any difficulties with removing your funds please do not hesitate to contact us.

They unverified my account, so I completed the KYC portion (again) and got it reverified. Their site still makes no mention of the United States being not allowed.

Any one else get this?

Originally thought it was because I'm sometimes on a NY based VPN and them not allowing New York residents or businesses from using their platform but they insist that's not it, it's because I'm in the United States.

Hundreds of transactions, 100% positive feedback, no complaints.

Will work on a self hosted backup plan (BTCPayServer) for the popular coins so I can skip the fees but would still like to use CoinPayments for the miscellaneous shit-coins we accept.

«134

Comments

  • TGTTGT Member

    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    How recently?

  • TGTTGT Member

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    How recently?

    We stitched 3/22 so last month.

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    @TGT said:

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    How recently?

    We stitched 3/22 so last month.

    Hmm, interesting.

    @Francisco , you use CoinPayments. Any notice of impeding yeet?

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep

    I signed up for CoinPayments a while back (I think they had shit support?) but ended up settling on Coinbase Commerce, works great, and have their managed plan so auto conversion to fiat (USD) is done as crypto is received.

    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    How recently?

    We stitched 3/22 so last month.

    Hmm, interesting.

    @Francisco , you use CoinPayments. Any notice of impeding yeet?

    Fran is Canadian, so probably safe.

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    @Ahfaiahkid said:

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    How recently?

    We stitched 3/22 so last month.

    Hmm, interesting.

    @Francisco , you use CoinPayments. Any notice of impeding yeet?

    Fran is Canadian, so probably safe.

    I know, just wasn't for sure if they were targeting hosting providers and using restricted countries as an excuse. Their website makes no mention of the US being restricted, other than New York. https://www.coinpayments.net/help-restricted

  • @MannDude said:

    @Ahfaiahkid said:

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:

    @MannDude said:

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    How recently?

    We stitched 3/22 so last month.

    Hmm, interesting.

    @Francisco , you use CoinPayments. Any notice of impeding yeet?

    Fran is Canadian, so probably safe.

    I know, just wasn't for sure if they were targeting hosting providers and using restricted countries as an excuse. Their website makes no mention of the US being restricted, other than New York. https://www.coinpayments.net/help-restricted

    I gave up on coinpayments and went for coinbase due to having better experience using their api. It sucks though being booted off a platform for nonsensical ruling.

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    Strange things indeed.

    It would appear some over on reddit have the same issue, with the moderator of /r/coinpayments saying that there is no restriction on the United States, yet support staff insisting that there is, even going as far as telling one user that the "city of Florida" is restricted for "security" reasons.

    https://old.reddit.com/r/coinpayments/comments/uetas4/usa_no_longer_a_supported_country/

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    Interesting, I never see that even with my NY VPN, but folks on reddit saying they get the same message even though not in New York or behind a VPN. One was in Florida and was told Florida is restricted now, for security reasons.

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @MannDude said:
    Interesting, I never see that even with my NY VPN, but folks on reddit saying they get the same message even though not in New York or behind a VPN. One was in Florida and was told Florida is restricted now, for security reasons.

    They have a real hate boner for DeSantis don't they?

    Francisco

  • dane_dohertydane_doherty Member
    edited April 30

    They saved you from selling crypto to fiat - arguably the worst financial decision one could make in the last decade - and you're complaining?!

    Don't be a sucker and set up BtcPay. Right now.

    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    @dane_doherty said:
    They saved you from selling crypto to fiat - arguably the worst financial decision one could make in the last decade - and you're complaining?!

    Don't be a sucker and set up BtcPay. Right now.

    I honestly pay a good portion of our overhead with crypto, which has been convenient. Other than that, what is earned is kept.

    To everyone else, I received an update again:

    Hi IncogNET,

    I'm sorry for my late response. ​

    It shows that there's no restriction on your account now.

    Please let me know if you need further assistance.

    So a quick recap:

    It went from a "User Agreement violation", to a, "You're in a restricted country", to "I understand you use a VPN, that's not the problem, we don't allow United States customers", to me completing KYC all over again, to the above message.

    Moving forward we'll likely use BTCPayServer for the main coins we get like BTC, LTC, and XMR and keep our CoinPayments account active for all the random misc alt-coins we accept but don't process much payments with. We've got a few people that pay with things like OXEN that I'd like to keep around.

    So, I hope this is the end of the story for us.

    Still some confusion mentioned on Reddit since their support team is still telling people the US is a restricted country, whereas their reddit rep says no. Not sure what's going on.

  • bettycbettyc Member
    edited April 30

    @MannDude said:
    Interesting, I never see that even with my NY VPN, but folks on reddit saying they get the same message even though not in New York or behind a VPN. One was in Florida and was told Florida is restricted now, for security reasons.

    I clicked on the registration link
    https://www.coinpayments.net/register

    p.s. to be honest and not mislead people, I connected via VPN

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    Their reddit moderator posted this earlier: https://old.reddit.com/r/coinpayments/comments/ufh71c/united_states_is_not_on_the_restriction_list/

    Recently some support agents have been telling users that the United States is no longer supported by our platform. Apparently there was a miscommunication at some point as that is not the case.

    We will be adding Washington State, New York State, and Hawaii at some point in the near future but the rest of the states will remain open.

    If you have been falsely flagged please open a ticket with our support desk and we will work to rectify it:

    https://www.coinpayments.net/supwiz

  • bettycbettyc Member

    I clicked on the registration link
    https://www.coinpayments.net/register

    p.s. to be honest and not mislead people, I connected via VPN

    With all this, the registration page opens through TOR
    Where is the logic here?

  • SetsuraSetsura Member

    @MannDude said:
    Moving forward we'll likely use BTCPayServer for the main coins we get like BTC, LTC, and XMR

    I've heard that it doesn't work so well for XMR, and the devs at btcpay more or less don't care about anything but what's in the name(BTC), all the other modules are "community maintained"(AKA barely supported) and in various states of not working or needing a lot of work to make function. I hope you test it before putting it into use as some people I know reported a lot of issues with the XMR module at least.

    I might need to look into making a self hosted XMR payment system that has XMR as a first class citizen at some point, because btcpay was very frustrating to use when I last tried for XMR.

  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

    @TGT said:
    Had the same issue not sure why it was doing that but I switched over to coinbase commerce.

    Are you on their managed plan?

  • risharderisharde Member

    When the company doesn't even know who they actually support / service lol

  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

    FYI it looks like they've listed the United States

    https://www.coinpayments.net/help-restricted

    And I can confirm that our account is reflecting an upcoming account closure;

    Warning: Your account has been set to close at July 20, 2022. This could be due to many reasons from a KYC (identity verification) issue to logging in from a restricted jurisdiction. You will have received an email with details; remember to move your funds to another wallet immediately before your account closes. If you the email gives you directions you can follow them or post a support ticket letting us know so we can unflag your account.

    We'll reach out to them, and see if they can help. Otherwise, we'll begin looking for an alternative.

  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

    Received a few updates:

    First update:
    Thank you for your inquiry.

    Unfortunately, you are residing in a state in the US which is not supported by our system. We appreciate this is not yet reflected on our website. However, this update is in process.

    I apologize for any inconvenience caused, and there is nothing further we can do for you in this regard.

    If you have any funds on your account, you should be able to remove these at your end without any problems. However, should you have any difficulties removing your funds, please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Kind regards


    When asked about specific states restricted within the United States, I received the response below:

    Second Update:
    Sadly, we will not be operating in the entirety of the US. You may see all our restricted jurisdictions here: https://www.coinpayments.net/help-restricted.

    Thanked by 1Xrmaddness
  • pacopaco Member

    @Setsura said:

    @MannDude said:
    Moving forward we'll likely use BTCPayServer for the main coins we get like BTC, LTC, and XMR

    I've heard that it doesn't work so well for XMR, and the devs at btcpay more or less don't care about anything but what's in the name(BTC), all the other modules are "community maintained"(AKA barely supported) and in various states of not working or needing a lot of work to make function. I hope you test it before putting it into use as some people I know reported a lot of issues with the XMR module at least.

    I might need to look into making a self hosted XMR payment system that has XMR as a first class citizen at some point, because btcpay was very frustrating to use when I last tried for XMR.

    There's no front end, but Moneropay pretty much does what it says it does. The somewhat odd design choice of using subaddresses (instead of integrated addresses that is essentially self-contained and won't run into the potential issue of having to monitor a ton of individual subaddresses) is the main scalability concern, but it's certainly one that wouldn't kick in for a while if it ever becomes a problem. There are examples on Github as to how the api is integrated into various e-commerce solutions.

  • emgemg Member

    I just checked the registration page from a USA residence. The message confirmed that I am in a blocked jurisdiction. I have no need for their services; just checking.

    I do not see any rhyme or reason about which countries are on their banned list. Can anyone explain how a country ends up on their banned list? Is it the country's legal regime regarding cryptocurrencies? Global politics? Something else?

    I noted that they include American Samoa, which is a territory of the United States, but do not bother to mention Puerto Rico, Guam, etc. I could name similar territories from other banned countries. The point is that the list is not consistent.

    The older reddit post about not banning the United States, but banning certain states makes little sense. Aside from Alaska and Hawaii, people often pass through a "banned" state on their way between two other states. If they got on the internet during their travels, was it the intent of CoinPayments to ban them? Seriously?

    Clearly CoinPayments is way out of their league when it comes to basic business management, as shown by inconsistent behavior of its support staff and the postings of its people. No matter what special services they offer, I would not trust them with any of my money for any reason.

  • taizitaizi Member

    you can use coinbase or bitpay instead
    VirMach also use coinpayments, @VirMach do you got this message?

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep
    edited July 6

    Coinbase is anti-privacy and sells information and data to the government, and BitPay has the worst end-user interface for making payments. A few providers I use use BitPay and it's such a headache trying to pay an invoice. It doesn't just spit out a wallet address and total amount, it wants you to link to your exchanges or online wallets to make payments instead of giving you the info to make payment yourself. Fuck that.

    Not sure what we'll do just yet. I don't recall seeing any communication from CoinPayments regarding this decision until today.

    Thanked by 2Xrmaddness maverickp
  • FoulFoul Member

    Just.. setup your own btcpay server and handle it yourself, no third party needing to be involved... or use bitpay

  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

    Coinpayments as of a few hours ago sent an official e-mail to their US-based customers.

    In light of a constantly changing market in the United States of America, CoinPayments Inc. and UAB Star Ventures are at this time discontinuing services to and access to our platform by U.S. users.

    Important Dates & Next Steps

    U.S. users should withdraw their virtual assets to an external wallet no later than July 19, 2022.

    With effect from July 19, 2022, accounts belonging to U.S. users will no longer be accessible.

    Thank you for understanding and for being part of our community.

    Thanked by 1Xrmaddness
  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    I guess I'll be spending this weekend writing a new/working btcpayserver module for WHMCS.

    Francisco

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Host Rep

    @Foul said:
    Just.. setup your own btcpay server and handle it yourself, no third party needing to be involved... or use bitpay

    I already have a BTCPay install setup from their previous shenigans. Only issue is we have a lot of customers who pay with non-supported coins, namely OXEN since it's used in the LokiNet / Session Private Messenger community, but also some more obscure alt-coins.

    BTCPayServer should be fine for BitCoin, Monero, Doge and LiteCoin at least, I guess.

Sign In or Register to comment.