Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The first VPS you purchased in your life - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The first VPS you purchased in your life

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

taronyu said: I'm still sad about the fact that VPSDeploy is no more :( And because of some reason @jmginer / GinerNet isn't so apealing to buy)

why not?

Our new Madrid location is ready, you can select the datacenter in the order process.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

racksrv.com YEARS ago, so long ago I cant even remember, it was around £20 p/month with 512mb ram, was VERY good with an 8 disk sas 15k raid array, still use racksrv now and they have never let me down.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2013
    Early 2011 - Motionite
    Late 2011 - @DotVPS  

• VPSLink.com, 64MB RAM, 100GB Bandwidth @ ~$7/month around 2009ish

Actually just checked the website and the same plan still exists, at the same price. Blimey.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited December 2013

I think one of my first was a vps with dawn-server.de in 2009, they were a great company back then but they were bought by another company sometimes ago and since then became very bad.

Oh, specs: 20gb hdd, 256mb ram, 100mbps, 5€/Month

• Netcup.de at 2010. I think it was the "v(olks)Server 2000" package. 12,99€/mo.

NEU: 4.000 MHz CPU-Leistung
    NEU: 2.048MB RAM / 4.096MB Flexi-SSD-RAM
    NEU: 50GB Speicherplatz (RAID5)

From waybackmachine.

• I bought my first vps with Virpus, a 256MB plan for $4 dollars back in 2010. It was very lagged, after that I discovered LEB.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited December 2013

I first got a Linode 64MB in 2004 before Xen they were using UML. Performance was good until someone running Gentoo arrived on your node and tried to emerge a whole freeking system in 64MB.

• I got mine from Front Range Hosting for around $5

• 256MB from miniVPS (2010?) which I still have to this day. Before that it was all dedicated - mostly at the now defunct netdirekt.

• burst,20G

• The first VPS I purchased was a VPS with UrPad in late 2011 located in Seattle. It was used as a cPanel server.

• gravypodgravypod Member
    edited December 2013

Ramnode 1024 OVZ package. I was the 2nd customer!

(I still use it today \o/)

• Linode: 1GB RAM for $20/mo.

• I think it was with CheapVPS.co.uk (Rus Foster era) in 2007. I purchased with CloudVPS (which was then called XLSHosting) a couple of months later to host my clients. I eventually switched to Linode, which I've now left in favor of Prometeus (iwStack and normal offering) and Inception Hosting.

CheapVPS was really quite popular back then. It wasn't pretty when they got "hacked" and everything.

I also used to have VPS at Hawk Host. A couple of years back they were still affordable for that time. Not anymore.

• JaguarPC, 25GB disk, 3000GB bandwidth, 512MB RAM w/ 'free' management and cpanel for $24 / month in early 2012.

Their prices seem to have gone down since then.

• emgemg Veteran

My first VPS was from YourDomainGoesHere.com, which is now owned by Webline Services. I signed up for a 1 year term, treating it strictly as a low cost education in Linux administration, management, and security.

Extra special kudos go to Corey Manshack (check out BitAccel.com) for his superb support when I was getting the VPS going. I still have much to learn about VPSs, but Corey's patience, tolerance, and understanding deserve special recognition.

• Budgetvm
    512MB RAM
    1024MB Burst RAM
    40GB RAID 10 Disk
    2 E5-2620 2Ghz CPU
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    2 IP Addresses
    $3.99/month

my first VPS and then moved on to Bluevm.com(VPS) and Hostus.us(shared Hosting)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

My first was with BuffaloVPS 1GB of RAM not sure what the rest of the specs were.

• my first with leaseweb 1GB Server S for learning vps in june 2013

• HostRail few month before it become HostFail.....

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

Year: 1992

RAM: 32MB

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2013

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Year: 1992

RAM: 32MB

gawd, you must be really old. And on what? 56.6Kbps?

Edit:

• @GaNi said:
    gawd, you must be really old.

Where are your manners?

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

[GaNi said] 56..

No, Less then 20 Kbps(Maybe 10 - 15)

• My first VPS was through 1and1.com. I think it was around 2006/2007. It had 10gb of space, I can't remember the rest of it. I was paying about $29 a month and eventually went to $39 a month for 20gb of space. I went to a VPS because shared hosting was dying for sharing images. I used to sell a lot on ebay and when I did large listings, 2000-3000 items, with 4 to 5 images per listing, a lot of images were not showing up. That's when I switched to a VPS.

I never had a problem with it, other than their billing practices, which sucked...then I found the world of VPS outside of the big providers and started paying half the price for twice the power/bandwidth/space.

• My first vps was a KVM box.
    Me and two other guys from college scrape money together to by a dedicated server.
    We splitted it into 3 parts and run this box for years.

PS: It is always beneficial to have one friend doing an internship in a datacenter.

• Leaseweb, smallest VPS package, two years ago.

• Probably back in '09 from BurstNet. 1 GB RAM, 50 GB HDD for $13/Month...