Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The first VPS you purchased in your life
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The first VPS you purchased in your life

ironhideironhide Member
edited December 2013 in General

Hello guys

Let's share some info about the first VPS you purchased in your life, the hardware spec and the price you paid for it and when did you purchase - as much as you can remember. Let's bring some good old time back from memories :)

Comments

• Ok, I am starting with mine

I purchased my first one in May, 2009 from this WHT thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=863204.

$5 for a 512MB OVZ

• 2004 - VMWare, 1 Xeon CPU (Don't remember the model), 1 GB RAM, 8GB Disk, 2Mbps Unmetered - 400 TRY ~= 200 USD now. (In Turkey)

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • WOW! That was expensive! :)

• Linode, $20/mo, 360MB RAM (Xen), 200GB transfer/month...probably around 2009 or 2010, I think

• serverian said:
    400 TRY

Must have been 400 Million then :P

Thanked by 2earl alexvolk
  • taronyutaronyu Member
    edited December 2013

386mb OVZ vps from VPSDeploy. After that a 123systems 256mb box. Never knew there was more performance possible for $3 a month.

I'm still sad about the fact that VPSDeploy is no more :( And because of some reason @jmginer / GinerNet isn't so apealing to buy)

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • I was a client of Santrex back in 2009, I use to get shell accounts as well.
    The first location I had was Netherlands, then Luxemburg.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090415221342/http://www.santrex.net/vps.php

• Oh dear i dont remember, but my first low end box was from bandwagonhost 10$ 512MB ram 5GB HDD. Still works awesome!

• My first was a plan with Lycos back in 2004, 128MB Ram, 100GB disk, 200GB transfer, up to 3 offloaded SQL DB's, £12 a month.

They had a one month free trial offer that I frequently abused....

• eric1212eric1212 Member
    edited December 2013

My first was a 512MB from SemoWeb. 2009 / 2010

• 2009 RapidXen 128MB

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Volumedrive many years ago

• In 2012 from bluevm for learning and managing server management.

• 2010 512MB from citynethost in Egypt for $55 for 3 years, renewed it the other day for another 3 years.

• ATHK said: 2010 512MB from citynethost in Egypt for $55 for 3 years, renewed it the other day for another 3 years.

Oh Wow! - so you are paying the same price for the same hardware since 2010 (and still 3more years to go) ?

• My first VPS was from Linode, with 256MB of ram, I believe. For $20/m.

• My first was back in October 2012 from Iniz, was known as StormVZ back then, the 2GB NY Buffalo special :)

• Somewhere back in 2009

Can't remember the name, but they are deadpooled anyway

• BlueVM Blue2 plan (the OLD plans). I got it back in July of 2012. Before that I'd been operating my IRC Network on a (comparatively) expensive shell account.

• Virpus back in 2011, when they were still decent :-P (linux vps that is)

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Softronics.ch 128mb openvz.... loooong time ago

• Hmmm, so long ago already. It was one from Strato back in 2007.

• Jack said: Hostrail

Mind sharing Time, Spec and Price?

• My first vps is from namecheap in 2009, with :

• 256MB Ram
    • 20GB disk
    • 200GB bandwidth
    • Xen
    • $20/month

At that time, I don't know how to manage the vps, so I just use it for learning linux, and install a Cpanel.

• Well over 10 years ago, Webfusion but can't remember the specs. Remember seeing their dedicated servers at like £300 with 8gb RAM lol.

• 2010? Burstnet 512MB

• i can't really remember but it might be vpsland @ 2008 for $25/month

• Buyvm 128mb was my first

• This makes me feel old ... my first VPS, actually they called them VDS then, was from Tektonic.net back in ~2002 it was 32mb running on a technology called UserModeLinux (UML) (This was a terrible virtualization technology btw) Cost $20 a month. Not long after in 2003 I learned about this fancy new hypervisor called Xen and bought a dedicated server and hosted about 10 people for a year or so. Back then there wasn't SolusVM and everything had to be done by hand ... it sucked!

• @ironhide said:
    Oh Wow! - so you are paying the same price for the same hardware since 2010 (and still 3more years to go) ?

Yep! 512MB RAM , 40GB HDD, 500GB B/W, still has Ubuntu 10.04 installed at a sweet $55 for 3 years.. which is insane!

I wouldn't of recommended these guys a few years ago with all the drama in Egypt (riots etc) I had a few issues with downtime, but in the past year or so they changed their upstream provider and it's been running perfect!

My ping from Australia is around 400 - 500 m/s, I'm not using it for anything really.