Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The first VPS you purchased in your life - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The first VPS you purchased in your life

Comments

• HostRail 2GB RAM in 2010 at... $5/month?

• Good ol' linode :) best VPS I have ever had, but boy was it expensive, other wise I would have kept that thing.... Now that I think about it, I might just grab one for giggles :).

Mun

• tektonic. slow hardware, great uptime and support

• Mine was at burst.net i think, around 2004/05 maybe... it was1024mb and it was quite a bit more expensive then their prices now, like over $30/month. I was hosting adult websites on it and bandwidth was quite a bit more expensive then too, like around $2 to $3 per gig.

Its amazing how cheap bandwidth is today compared to back then, around 99 when I started it was around $5 - $7 per GB pretty much everywhere, not long after cogent started taking off and it was cheap, but it felt like downloading molasses.

• urpad @ 2012

• 512MB OVZ from burst.net in 2009

• 2003, FDC

• RamNode 128MB SSD-Cached

• echo servers - $22/month for 512 MB of ram, 20 GB of space and 2TB of traffic.

• Mine was from https://123systems.net/
    It had 128MB RAM, 5GB HDD, and 250GB BW @ 100MBPS/10$ a year

I didn't know what a server was used for, I just bought it to setup ZNC for a BNC, then I wanted to host Minecraft, and so I got a different one, but I still, to this day, have that VPS, but it was upgraded to 256MB RAM, 15GB HDD, and 500GB BW, because they no longer support that plan, it just idles now.

I'm amazingly happy I did this, because it got me into servers, I was at a sort of dead end with computers, and never even thought of networking and servers. I'm only 14, and now, I know I want to major in :D

Thanked by 2ironhide lukasubo
  • edited December 2013

My first VPS (and am currently still using, I know I'm new to this game) was in 2013 for $18/month, and it had a 2 core Xeon CPU with 2 gig of RAM

• my first vps is citynethost.com 512M ovz for $7.5/quarter which located in Egypt, Sep, 2010.
    then buyvm 128M $15/year which i keep till now:)

• chicagovps was my first; had 'er back in '11; yeeahh, we broke up, and ive never looked back. #YOLO

• I bought my first ever VPS last year. $3 specs 256MB RAM. DC : OVH Hosting.

• $3.95 from BlueVM back in April '12. Before that, I was using a Celeron 1.3 GHz from 2001 in my closet.

• dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited December 2013

Correction: My first VPS was with Virpus, $4 per month for 512Mb Xen.

• Super special from 123systems three or four years ago:

20/yr for 128mb RAM, 10GB disk and 100GB transfer.

• My first was with Linode, 2009 I think...256MB, 10GB ..maybe... But only remember the price now...was $20.....

• Just this year after discovering the low end market, First one I signed up with was vpscheap.net.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2013

I first did my own at home with an old 486 using vserver. I do not remember when but might have been in 2000 or so. It was highly experimental and when i managed to give a friend a ssh login on a NAT-ed port 222 through my 4 KB line back then, I felt really proud :)
    First bought one might have been a couple of years later, most likely from one of the companies I was using for shared hosting dont remember which and was short lived anyway as the performance wasnt there. I needed to install specific builds of php and mysql to work with my OS game project at that time and while shared hosting was cheap and quick, the VPSes sucked big time, various techniques in the game based on speed were failing flat so I dropped the idea changing the code instead to run on the available PHP then but the host kept changing it and the differences were big enough at that time to make it a terrible maintenance problem.
    I came back to VPSes maybe in 2006 and was trying a lot of offers on WHT, at that time those that accepted romanians were mostly small fly-by-night shops which were disintegrating in a few months, so I started using fake identities based in US and UK/France which worked for a few years, enough to pass over the ban on romanians, but continued to use fake identities (romanian ones this time) due to incidents from the time I was running games when a band of angry banned people came to my door.
    Now I do it because I do not want to leave my data in the hands of unknown small hosts that could sell it or even unknowingly leak it.
    I think I hosted with 100 companies so far, if not more :)
    I took a lot of offers from here when LEB opened but I wasnt participating in LET as I figured is a small project pushed by the popularity of LEB and not a real forum.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Started with a 512MB Windows VPS from burst.net in 2012 ;-)

• Me: June 2009, from FutureHosting, configuration as follows:

• 20 GB SA-SCSI Disk Space
    • 350GB bandwidth
    • 2 Dedicated IPs
    • 384 MB SLM RAM
      --> $34.95 discounted to $20.97 via WHT
  • 2005-06(ish) from Memset. Was quite expensive at the time.

• Theplanet not remember the year

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

my first vps was one at rapidvps.com

They had a slick control panel and not the best prices, but things were solid.

• I can't even remember the name of the host.. It had VPS in it I know that and they were based in Atlanta. I got a $30/mth Windows 2008 VPS with 1024mb. Then I learned my way around linux, went to BurstNET then CVPS and managed my way here.. Oh fun times.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

In 2009, a RAM Host VPS in Kansas, that I eventually had moved to Atlanta. I think I started out with 384 or 512MB RAM, not sure about the rest of the specs... for a few dollars a month. Still have it :)

• 2011 256mb KVM Indonesia, Tokohosting... $8/mth