Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good bye <3 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good bye <3

124»

Comments

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@miu said:

What about such alternative:

If only section OFFERS would be paid section, but for both - providers and users also, but wit sane fees what sure cannot ruin nobody, for example:

1) Provider will pay to be allowed posting into this sections say symbolic price $20 or $30 / yearly (etc.): This is not devastation fee for nobody of them (provider who cannot pay such sum yearly probably should not post offers in offer section ever bcs is probably very near to bankrupt)

2) User (who want have unlocked section offers) will also pay small symbolic fee, for example 2 or $3 / yearly (again - user who cannot pay $3 yearly does not need browse section offers because when does have $3 yearly for this also cannot buy there nothing). It is symbolic fee, what will nobody ruin, all of us who bought something through discounted sale there saved a much more than $3 yearly, but related t the fact how many users are there browsing imo this very easy can cover your expenses for run of whole portal without impact on smallest provider (for who is problem $200 yearly and at the same time keep current competitive low/LE prices). At the same time - users who buY nothing only use website as forum, will can use next forum totally free without any fee (only without for them locked section offers = who wants use forum only as forum and not as purchasing sites (as many users said that "forum is forum and it is for discussion and discussion should be free"), it will remains for him totally free next).

Small calculation:

a) Current state: If 50 providers will pay u 200$ / y = u will get 10k$ yearly for your costs/expenses of run of LET.

disadvantages:

• Seems many providers will leave u
    • also is expected imo, that providers what will stay will increase their bottom of prices

b) mentioned model: 100 provs will pay u $30/y = $3000
    but (i do not know ho many active users in on LET and how many of them are willing pay mentioned $2 (or 3) for access to offer section, but i assume - only blind numbers) if 5k users will pay only $2/y u will get from them another 10k $ (i believe that there is maybe more readers of offer section ho will be willing pay 2 or $3/y than 5k, but i rather calculated with any minimal numbers)

advantages:

• maybe u will get enough sources for all your expenses, without leaving providers or increased prices at providers who will stay
    • nobody is ruined or losing millions

disadvantages:

• i expect that still many ppl-users will cry & angry that should pay something, despite the fact that totally symbolic fee - price of 1 coffee cup yearly

(and when i would be thinking from "wallet view" what many users do or mentioned, then: for me personally from this view, is better pay $2 or $3 yearly, have all providers here and see similar not increased prices in offer section that before - i think i will save more than $3 still, when all remain as before - means providers prices)

apologies for my shitty english, hopefully still my suggestion/idea and its point can be understood

Users on this site are not going to pay $2-3 to view advertisements from companies. They are oftentimes looking for low-end deals and will not pay for the chance of finding one.
    I much rather pay $200/year out of my own pocket and have everyone see the ad rather than pass the fee along to a smaller group of consumers who paid to see it. Just my 2 cents though.

Thanked by 2miu Hxxx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@fynix said: He has not left us. Still here.

LowEndTalk is too entertaining to ignore.

I see you’ve adopted my philosophy as a marketing tool. I’ll expect my cheque April 1st.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: Users on this site are not going to pay $2-3 to view advertisements from companies. They are oftentimes looking for low-end deals and will not pay for the chance of finding one.
    I much rather pay $200/year out of my own pocket and have everyone see the ad rather than pass the fee along to a smaller group of consumers who paid to see it. Just my 2 cents though.

Agreed.

The only contribution we can ask of our users is to check back often and to occasionally click on a banner ad that interests them.

• miumiu Member

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    Users on this site are not going to pay $2-3 to view advertisements from companies. They are oftentimes looking for low-end deals and will not pay for the chance of finding one.

Good good fact & comment to take into account, thanks
    it is quite possible that it would dramatically reduce the number of views in the offers section (only statistics for some time would give an accurate answer)

perhaps create a survey of how many providers have decided stay despite of the new fee
    and another survey how many users are willing to pay approx $ 3 / y could help better orient Jon's in the overall estimate of what is more convenient and when the total losses would be greater (also the fact that you mention)

• miumiu Member
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: Users on this site are not going to pay $2-3 to view advertisements from companies. They are oftentimes looking for low-end deals and will not pay for the chance of finding one.

Agreed.

The only contribution we can ask of our users is to check back often and to occasionally click on a banner ad that interests them.

just a thought, I don't know (maybe i am very naive that users will willing to pay despite the fact that fee is only symbolic and small, and I see it from a distorted point of view - that I have no problem paying if it is justified)
    you must to know (or hit it) the best
    in each case difficult task - to satisfy everyone as much as possible

• @miu said: maybe i am very naive that users

Pretty much.

Noone's going to offer to pay to see ads. These "offers" aren't some exclusive sales just to LowEndTalk so trying to gatekeep it like this doesn't help anyone and actually harms LET. On top of that, most people don't enjoy advertisements or seeing ads. Why would someone pay to see them?

• @jbiloh said: We've been doing a pretty good job the past year or so weeding out the bad apples when they apply for provider tags. Much better than in years past. We are going to continue those improvements.

The money will make you look the other way, trust me. Anyone willing to pay will be allowed a tag and that is part of the problem you will.

@noobjockeys said: The money will make you look the other way, trust me. Anyone willing to pay will be allowed a tag and that is part of the problem you will.

This will absolutely not happen. The guardrails around Provider Tags, which I implemented in January 2020 will continue.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles noobjockeys
  • miumiu Member

@noobjockeys said:

@jbiloh said: We've been doing a pretty good job the past year or so weeding out the bad apples when they apply for provider tags. Much better than in years past. We are going to continue those improvements.

The money will make you look the other way, trust me. Anyone willing to pay will be allowed a tag and that is part of the problem you will.

I think he is not depending from any profit from LET ( means not forced approve provider tag to everyone for each price). Only wants have covered his expenses for LET run, instead donate them from his of pocket

• FalzoFalzo Member

@jbiloh said:

@fynix said: He has not left us. Still here.

LowEndTalk is too entertaining to ignore.

Exactly. But that will change with cheap providers disappearing. Also drama eill decrease. It will get more equal and boring.

Not today or tomorrow, but give 6 month or a year. As @dahartigan said markets and communities change constantly anyway. But decisions like such fees decide the direction and I still strongly believe we'll find it to be one, wouldn't have wanted...

@Falzo said: Not today or tomorrow, but give 6 month or a year. As @dahartigan said markets and communities change constantly anyway. But decisions like such fees decide the direction and I still strongly believe we'll find it to be one, wouldn't have wanted...

I am sensitive to this and working to balance out the burden placed on the smallest hosts among our community. The work in this regard continues.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Free Hookers for everyone.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@jbiloh said:

@Falzo said: Not today or tomorrow, but give 6 month or a year. As @dahartigan said markets and communities change constantly anyway. But decisions like such fees decide the direction and I still strongly believe we'll find it to be one, wouldn't have wanted...

I am sensitive to this and working to balance out the burden placed on the smallest hosts among our community. The work in this regard continues.

I think the only relatively fair way of you participating on providers sales would be some sort of percentage/affiliate/referral thingy.

It's understood though, that this obviously is gonna be a bigger issue to make it work in a feasible technical way for accoznting and billing etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Neoon said:

TBF, if the deal was that providers pay $200/y and we all get free hookers, this news would have been received very differently...

Thanked by 2TimboJones Calin
  • @Nekki said:

@Neoon said:

TBF, if the deal was that providers pay $200/y and we all get free hookers, this news would have been received very differently...

Would we be allowed to resell?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@KermEd said:

@Nekki said:

@Neoon said:

Would we be allowed to resell?

Don't see why not. Although it'd be challenging to provide a proper benchmark for a prospective buyer without using up all your free credit...

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said:

Pardon the question, but isn't it a bit late for that?

Frankly, that should have been an important part of your deliberations - and the result, the new system - from the get-go.
    The way you played it highly likely drove more than a few (especially smaller) providers away. Even if you told them soon (TM) that there is a practical and decent solution for them too it'll have a smell ...

Well noted, I'm certainly not against you nor against the desire to cover the costs and to have a budget for new ideas. What I dislike is the way you played it; that didn't feel like "community" but like "business".

• @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

@miu said:

What about such alternative:

If only section OFFERS would be paid section, but for both - providers and users also, but wit sane fees what sure cannot ruin nobody, for example:

1) Provider will pay to be allowed posting into this sections say symbolic price $20 or $30 / yearly (etc.): This is not devastation fee for nobody of them (provider who cannot pay such sum yearly probably should not post offers in offer section ever bcs is probably very near to bankrupt)

2) User (who want have unlocked section offers) will also pay small symbolic fee, for example 2 or $3 / yearly (again - user who cannot pay $3 yearly does not need browse section offers because when does have $3 yearly for this also cannot buy there nothing). It is symbolic fee, what will nobody ruin, all of us who bought something through discounted sale there saved a much more than $3 yearly, but related t the fact how many users are there browsing imo this very easy can cover your expenses for run of whole portal without impact on smallest provider (for who is problem $200 yearly and at the same time keep current competitive low/LE prices). At the same time - users who buY nothing only use website as forum, will can use next forum totally free without any fee (only without for them locked section offers = who wants use forum only as forum and not as purchasing sites (as many users said that "forum is forum and it is for discussion and discussion should be free"), it will remains for him totally free next).

Small calculation:

a) Current state: If 50 providers will pay u 200$ / y = u will get 10k$ yearly for your costs/expenses of run of LET.

disadvantages:

• Seems many providers will leave u
    • also is expected imo, that providers what will stay will increase their bottom of prices

b) mentioned model: 100 provs will pay u $30/y = $3000
    but (i do not know ho many active users in on LET and how many of them are willing pay mentioned $2 (or 3) for access to offer section, but i assume - only blind numbers) if 5k users will pay only $2/y u will get from them another 10k $ (i believe that there is maybe more readers of offer section ho will be willing pay 2 or $3/y than 5k, but i rather calculated with any minimal numbers)

advantages:

• maybe u will get enough sources for all your expenses, without leaving providers or increased prices at providers who will stay
    • nobody is ruined or losing millions

disadvantages:

• i expect that still many ppl-users will cry & angry that should pay something, despite the fact that totally symbolic fee - price of 1 coffee cup yearly

(and when i would be thinking from "wallet view" what many users do or mentioned, then: for me personally from this view, is better pay $2 or $3 yearly, have all providers here and see similar not increased prices in offer section that before - i think i will save more than $3 still, when all remain as before - means providers prices)

apologies for my shitty english, hopefully still my suggestion/idea and its point can be understood

Users on this site are not going to pay $2-3 to view advertisements from companies.

Correct. Users would pay $2-3 to remove ads, though. And judging by the success of in-app/game purchases over the last decade, people will pay small amounts to feel special. People on LET will pay for Troll tags and other custom tags, for example. Building in the ignore user feature so we don't need greasemonkey scripts would be a payable feature as another example.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • HxxxHxxx Member

All providers can afford that $200 tag even the smaller hosts. The issue is more of a "is it worthy?" $200 can be used to cover a license cost. Maybe the solutions is really to have new rules, moderate the bumps and keep the space neutral so that those smaller hosts can still have a chance and make the investment worthwhile.

Something to keep in mind is that the host has to earn the provider tag, meaning it has to be genuine and comply with certain rules, in general be an established business in real life. Now receiving the news that they will have to pay to keep that respect (tag/symbolic) or to participate, it certainly doesn't sit well with some here, understandably.

@Hxxx said: All providers can afford that $200 tag even the smaller hosts. The issue is more of a "is it worthy?" $200 can be used to cover a license cost.

This week I am working on some extra perks for provider tag holders to both recognize their support and thank them for it. Many great suggestions have been made in this regard - I agree, and I want to build more value for provider tag holders.

@Hxxx said: Something to keep in mind is that the host has to earn the provider tag, meaning it has to be genuine and comply with certain rules, in general be an established business in real life. Now receiving the news that they will have to pay to keep that respect (tag/symbolic) or to participate, it certainly doesn't sit well with some here, understandably.

Good point, yep. That's why I am working on the above based on feedback received here the past week.

@jsg said: Pardon the question, but isn't it a bit late for that?

Frankly, that should have been an important part of your deliberations - and the result, the new system - from the get-go.
    The way you played it highly likely drove more than a few (especially smaller) providers away. Even if you told them soon (TM) that there is a practical and decent solution for them too it'll have a smell ...

It's late, but not too late.

I've been listening carefully to all the feedback and suggestions made over the course of the past 9 days and have implemented a bunch of those good ideas.

This week I am going to improve the value of the provider tags and build in some perks that recognize the support from those providers.

We didn't get the rollout right on day #1, but I am going to keep working on it until it's better. All I can do is do my best.