Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-01 France is available ! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-01 France is available !

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Mine has 36k hours.
    I also have a KS-LE special edition, in theory, i can pack a lot of KS-1 in the CPU, but I am interested in storage and IP. I am running 1 desktop and 3 containers in the KS-1 also Tor with IPv6 exit, Freenet and I export the storage over iSCSI.

• ErisaErisa Member

@jason5545 said:

@Wicked said:
    I have a KS-01 in France (€4.99/m) with a 2 TB drive if anyone is interested. Disk has like 35,000 hours which is not bad (I've had a few ones with 60-70k.)

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178061/finding-ks1c-for-transfer#latest
    Transferring doesn't work with Kimsufi unfortunately

As I mentioned in the thread you linked to, in rare cases they can allow it. You have to ask and they will tell you whether it's possible in your case. Everyone should ask for permission to transfer before offering transfer on the forums.

Also note that if you buy Kimsufi services via the new OVHCloud interface they may have completely different rules and policies. So again, ask and see but don't treat the answer as an answer for all cases.

• @Erisa said:

@jason5545 said:

@Wicked said:
    I have a KS-01 in France (€4.99/m) with a 2 TB drive if anyone is interested. Disk has like 35,000 hours which is not bad (I've had a few ones with 60-70k.)

As I mentioned in the thread you linked to, in rare cases they can allow it. You have to ask and they will tell you whether it's possible in your case. Everyone should ask for permission to transfer before offering transfer on the forums.

Also note that if you buy Kimsufi services via the new OVHCloud interface they may have completely different rules and policies. So again, ask and see but don't treat the answer as an answer for all cases.

The trick is to tell them that you did not find it powerful enough so you would like to transfer it to a friend and upgrade to a OVH server.

Thanked by 2Erisa jason5545
  • @Wicked said:

@Erisa said:

@jason5545 said:

@Wicked said:

The trick is to tell them that you did not find it powerful enough so you would like to transfer it to a friend and upgrade to a OVH server.

I have to say what a good idea this is, but it depends on whether they believe it or not. 😆

• @Erisa said:

Also note that if you buy Kimsufi services via the new OVHCloud interface they may have completely different rules and policies.

With just an interface change, can make much of a difference, never thought about that before, learned something new every day.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@Erisa said: Also note that if you buy Kimsufi services via the new OVHCloud interface they may have completely different rules and policies. So again, ask and see but don't treat the answer as an answer for all cases.

The old OVH "Managerv3" had service transfers fully automated in the panel, don't need any tickets to fully transfer a service, I shifted a Kimsufi server that way back then, when Kimsufi was still within the OVH panel (yes, they split them off and now merge back).

So maybe the new one will have that too?

Thanked by 2Erisa pbx
  • Kimsufi managenent was much better on the old OVH "Managerv3".

Hopefully on the new manager we can get transfers back, IPMI feature active if the server supports it and some support from OVH

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited March 2022

@Maounique said:
    Mine has 36k hours.
    I also have a KS-LE special edition, in theory, i can pack a lot of KS-1 in the CPU, but I am interested in storage and IP. I am running 1 desktop and 3 containers in the KS-1 also Tor with IPv6 exit, Freenet and I export the storage over iSCSI.

Mine is around the 40k mark. And actually, I am quite satisfied, I ran NextCloud, Plex with no transcoding, and VaultWarden. KS1 served them just fine, not the powerhouse, but in this price range, what more could you ask for.
    Further more, I've improved my linux skills while I am using KS1.😉

• ErisaErisa Member

@rm_ said:

@Erisa said: Also note that if you buy Kimsufi services via the new OVHCloud interface they may have completely different rules and policies. So again, ask and see but don't treat the answer as an answer for all cases.

The old OVH "Managerv3" had service transfers fully automated in the panel, don't need any tickets to fully transfer a service, I shifted a Kimsufi server that way back then, when Kimsufi was still within the OVH panel (yes, they split them off and now merge back).

So maybe the new one will have that too?

Hopefully! I really wish I had access, but unfortunately I have no need for more KS or SYS services and none of my current are on there. I had considered asking for my existing servers to be migrated to the OVH panel early but I had assumed they would just say no and didn't bother.

• @jason5545 said:

@Wicked said:

What's craazy is that I've been after one of these for so long.... I forgot I actually _just _got one when it was posted a week ago or so! My automatic reaction seeing a post with KS-1 was, "gotta get it".

Thanked by 2jason5545 Maounique
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

It has been 3 days since the order. Yesterday they asked for documents which I provided in minutes after the email. No response yet on the verification.

• @mosquitoguy said:
    Otherwise I find it more efficient to put everything into a larger dedicated machine, rather than a few tiny ones.

Depending on use case, multiple small machines can be an advantage. You have less single points of failure especially if those small machines are hosted with different providers, for backups you'd have Redundant Array of Inexpensive Servers instead of redundant drives. Though having said that, my backup locations are all covered by RAID1 or similar too, everything on my 2T KS1 can be re-created, re-obtained, or just re-copied from another of my machines (if it wasn't so cheap I might have dropped it a while ago).

• VoidVoid Member

@raza19 said:
    It has been 3 days since the order. Yesterday they asked for documents which I provided in minutes after the email. No response yet on the verification.

Took almost a week after payment to start verification. Since everything is manual, it takes time.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    Depending on use case, multiple small machines can be an advantage. You have less single points of failure especially if those small machines are hosted with different providers, for backups you'd have Redundant Array of Inexpensive Servers instead of redundant drives. Though having said that, my backup locations are all covered by RAID1 or similar too, everything on my 2T KS1 can be re-created, re-obtained, or just re-copied from another of my machines (if it wasn't so cheap I might have dropped it a while ago).

If you're using these tiny machines as one of many "backup nodes", then that makes sense. Personally, I use juiceFS over wasabi S3. At $6/TB/month, I let them worry about backing up data. I don't need to re-create anything and I can mount the same file system on multiple locations.

• @scooke said:

@jason5545 said:

@Wicked said:

What's craazy is that I've been after one of these for so long.... I forgot I actually _just _got one when it was posted a week ago or so! My automatic reaction seeing a post with KS-1 was, "gotta get it".

My guess is, are you just letting it idling? If you used KS1 for daily, you wouldn't forget you just got one.🤣
    Yeah, when I saw this post, my immediate reaction is getting one directly too, had been seeking it for so long.

• @jason5545 said:

@scooke said:

@jason5545 said:

@Wicked said:

My guess is, are you just letting it idling? If you used KS1 for daily, you wouldn't forget you just got one.🤣
    Yeah, when I saw this post, my immediate reaction is getting one directly too, had been seeking it for so long.

I actually immediately set it up as a backup, using minio, and used duplicati on another VPS to back up to it, and it all worked right off the bat... I forgot! I checked and it's doing exactly what I set it up to do. So, that's good.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited March 2022

Interesting. Nice that it supports LZ4 and encryption at rest.

Have you been using JuiceFS for a while? Does it work well?

Edit: does it work well in RAM constrained environments?

• @mosquitoguy said: I let them worry about backing up data.

I'm a bit more paranoid, possibly overly at times, with backups, and don't trust the same provider to backup the data I send over. I'll happily trust a single host with availability (dealing with failure cases through RAID and other infrastructure) but backups (assuming that storage area isn't the backup of something else) go to an entirely different place.

• @pbx said:
    Interesting. Nice that it supports LZ4 and encryption at rest.
    Have you been using JuiceFS for a while? Does it work well?
    Edit: does it work well in RAM constrained environments?

I use it to store documents, photos and stream videos from plex. Works well for me for about a year so far now. It's implemented as a fuse driver so I suppose it takes about the same RAM as other fuse-based file systems. I have a vps with 8GB ram and it runs well on that.

I was using S3QL prior to this but that thing was buggy. I still take periodic backups though. Once a month I just rsync everything into a drive just in case their data center goes up in flames, but this is far easier/cheaper than managing files across raid setup on multiple hosts.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2022

KS1 Roulette:

RBX4
    GRA1
    RBX5
    GRA1

all 2TB

Thanked by 1ralf
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Fuck KS

Thanked by 2ralf Void
  • VoidVoid Member

@Nekki said:
    Fuck KS

Fuck Ovh

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jmaxwell said:

@Nekki said:
    Fuck KS

Fuck Ovh

SING IT

• LunicsLunics Member
    edited June 2022

Is Kimsufi still the most affordable dedicated server option these days?
    What about dedicated servers with an SSD?

Edit: I noticed https://www.serverroom.net/dedicated/value/#plans - are they good? Their largest SSD is 64GB which is too small for my needs unfortunately.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yes, OneProvider/Online has some with SSD for around 10€ but given they where about 50%+ cheaper, its expensive.

Thanked by 1Lunics
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

More like 7€ for Avotons with 128GB SSD at OneProvider, at the moment.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Fuck OVH

• VoidVoid Member

@Nekki said:
    Fuck OVH

SING IT

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • ralfralf Member

@Neoon said:
    KS1 Roulette:

RBX4
    GRA1
    RBX5
    GRA1

all 2TB

Almost tempted to jump on it as my KS-1 is still 500GB with a 77k+ hours disk and due to expire in under 2 months, but I'm still wondering if I can just transition off it entirely...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran