Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-01 France is available ! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-01 France is available !

Comments

• VoidVoid Member

It’s stuck on the page that says “your payment will be verified manually “ since days. Any ways to expedite?

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @jmaxwell said:
    It’s stuck on the page that says “your payment will be verified manually “ since days. Any ways to expedite?

Not much.

• I wonder if KS1 Canada will ever be stock again?
    And KS1 France sold like hot cakes, vanished in 30 mins, every restock according to my telegram notifier. I am glad that I got one.

• @jason5545 said:
    I wonder if KS1 Canada will ever be stock again?
    And KS1 France sold like hot cakes, vanished in 30 mins, every restock according to my telegram notifier. I am glad that I got one.

I'm curious... what do you use it for? VPN/email? I'm amazed people are after that tiny thing. I would just use a PI and run it in the basement.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

I ordered 2 yesterday but it has been stuck at validation for few hours now. I called their Canadian helpline who were very courteous. They assured me they wud look into it. So, still waiting.. Fingers crossed.

For people wondering about the tiny machine's purpose. Well despite being old they pack a solid punch. I use similar machines from ikoula for backup & nextcloud. How else can u get 100% cpu usage with a terabyte of disk at such rates? That too Without upsetting ur neighbours? This machine is a gift. First time I got my hands on this, just hoping ovh comes through!

• @mosquitoguy said:

@jason5545 said:
    I wonder if KS1 Canada will ever be stock again?

I'm curious... what do you use it for? VPN/email? I'm amazed people are after that tiny thing. I would just use a PI and run it in the basement.

Speaking of RPI, last night I ran yabs on KS1,was thinking similar results or better than that, to my surprise, it loses quite a lot 😂
    I used KS1 for NextCloud, PLEX and VaultWarden.

• @raza19 said:
    I ordered 2 yesterday but it has been stuck at validation for few hours now. I called their Canadian helpline who were very courteous. They assured me they wud look into it. So, still waiting.. Fingers crossed.

For people wondering about the tiny machine's purpose. Well despite being old they pack a solid punch. I use similar machines from ikoula for backup & nextcloud. How else can u get 100% cpu usage with a terabyte of disk at such rates? That too Without upsetting ur neighbours? This machine is a gift. First time I got my hands on this, just hoping ovh comes through!

This is my point, too. Where can you get this kind of deal at 4.99 EUR? Sometimes even a VPS is more expensive than a KS1.
    Even more luckily, I got a free doubled storage upgrade. Nice.gif

Thanked by 1raza19
  • ErisaErisa Member

The CPU in a KS-1 is indeed worse than a Pi4, though I think it's an improvement over a Pi3. The concept behind their existence is the same reason people buy hosted Rpis, and this thing is even x86 with a decently sized HDD.

if you temper your expectations and don't want to exhaust your entire wallet then they're handy little machines at a unique price point. And the hardware is all yours, there is never a neighbour. On the other hand that means you have to start worrying about hardware failure.

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited March 2022

@Erisa said:
    if you temper your expectations and don't want to exhaust your entire wallet then they're handy little machines at a unique price point. And the hardware is all yours, there is never a neighbour. On the other hand that means you have to start worrying about hardware failure.

You're hitting the nail on the head. Exactly.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Erisa said:
    The CPU in a KS-1 is indeed worse than a Pi4, though I think it's an improvement over a Pi3. The concept behind their existence is the same reason people buy hosted Rpis, and this thing is even x86 with a decently sized HDD.

If you get the 2tb it makes for a great idler

Thanked by 2jason5545 Erisa
  • @Erisa said:

This makes sense if KS1 is the only server you plan to spend money on. Otherwise I find it more efficient to put everything into a larger dedicated machine, rather than a few tiny ones. I'm making a wild guess that the average LETers have at least 7 servers but they really only need 2. :)

Thanked by 2Erisa Maounique
  • ErisaErisa Member

@mosquitoguy said:

@Erisa said:

This makes sense if KS1 is the only server you plan to spend money on. Otherwise I find it more efficient to put everything into a larger dedicated machine, rather than a few tiny ones. I'm making a wild guess that the average LETers have at least 7 servers but they really only need 2. :)

Yes that's true, if it meets your needs and is your only server then it makes sense to have it. Having multiple KS-1 is incredibly inefficient when you could instead get a proper storage server with RAID or have a traditional VPS setup.

I recently replaced a lot of smaller servers with a large dedi, it was a win on cost overall but was harder to swallow because of the larger monthly bill for one product.

That said, a KS-1 does make sense as part of an existing setup if you want somewhere to offload backups and etc with full control over running software. Kind of like a storage VPS but more quaint and dedicated.

• @raza19 said:

Can you share the helpline details here for both France and Canada

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited March 2022

@mosquitoguy said:

@Erisa said:

How to define server? Is VPS included? If yes, I have 5 servers and only one of them is idling. If dedicated server only, yeah I only have KS1.

• ErisaErisa Member

@jason5545 said:

@mosquitoguy said:

@Erisa said:

How to define server? Is VPS included? If yes, I have 5 servers and only one of them are idling. If dedicated server only, yeah I only have KS1.

VPS = Virtual Private Server, so yes it is a server just not a physical one.

If KS-1 makes sense for your needs then that's great, just make sure you're happy and are getting what you want out of your servers and all is well. If its possible to combine things then consider that, and avoid idling at all costs if you care about saving money.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @Erisa said:
    That said, a KS-1 does make sense as part of an existing setup if you want somewhere to offload backups and etc with full control over running software. Kind of like a storage VPS but more quaint and dedicated.

For a site/app backup, probably. As a general backup, no way. 1TB is nothing considering the size of raw pictures and the videos generated by phones nowadays. In either case, a $7/month subscription to backblaze with unlimited backup storage is a far better investment than this machine. There's also $10/month opendrive with unlimited storage if you don't run windows but want webdav/rclone access also.

• Anyone get 2 TB version of it recently? I bought mine back in January 2022, and they gave me like 2 TB version and I use it to idle alot seeding linux distro ISOs lol. Like it is amazing value for 5 Euro/month (they don't charge me VAT cause I am from US)

• @ps20090 said:
    Anyone get 2 TB version of it recently? I bought mine back in January 2022, and they gave me like 2 TB version and I use it to idle alot seeding linux distro ISOs lol. Like it is amazing value for 5 Euro/month (they don't charge me VAT cause I am from US)

I think they are issuing 2Tb instead of 1Tb for a while

Thanked by 2ps20090 chedenaz
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited March 2022

People willing to rent a connected snow globe for €60/yr is beyond me

• @ps20090 said:
    Anyone get 2 TB version of it recently? I bought mine back in January 2022, and they gave me like 2 TB version and I use it to idle alot seeding linux distro ISOs lol. Like it is amazing value for 5 Euro/month (they don't charge me VAT cause I am from US)

Mine is 2 TB too.

Thanked by 1ps20090
  • It's late, it's out of stock.

• Does the job as a backup server, Had my KS1 for years

• @sky3918 said:
    It's late, it's out of stock.

It will restock a every two or three days.

• @jason5545 said:

@sky3918 said:

thank u bro

• @sky3918 said:

@jason5545 said:

@sky3918 said:

thank u bro

Restocked.

• I have a KS-01 in France (€4.99/m) with a 2 TB drive if anyone is interested. Disk has like 35,000 hours which is not bad (I've had a few ones with 60-70k.)

Thanked by 2ps20090 cracboumhuee
  • @Wicked said:
    I have a KS-01 in France (€4.99/m) with a 2 TB drive if anyone is interested. Disk has like 35,000 hours which is not bad (I've had a few ones with 60-70k.)

How does the transfer happen?

• @Wicked said:
    I have a KS-01 in France (€4.99/m) with a 2 TB drive if anyone is interested. Disk has like 35,000 hours which is not bad (I've had a few ones with 60-70k.)

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178061/finding-ks1c-for-transfer#latest
    Transferring doesn't work with Kimsufi unfortunately

• singsing Member

good