Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Nuclear Network Option: What Would This Really Do? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Nuclear Network Option: What Would This Really Do?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2022

Look, when a country is invaded, it is the duty of it's citizens to defend it. Whether they would do that or not, depends on many factors but, in general, the stiffer the resistance, the more factors are compelling people to fight back.
    The problem of Putin is that he started to believe his own propaganda, but it was inevitable sooner or later. When you have no honest advisors only people sucking up to you, they would reinforce your view so he was genuinely convinced he can conquer Ukraine with the army and then use people living in Ukraine to maintain the occupation and a kind of Lukashenko regime.
    He saw the map of Yanukovich electoral wins in various places to consider that who voted for him would automatically support the occupation and he would be able to carve at least half of the country based on that OR, even better for him, use that half to oppress the rest so, in theory, he made this easy plan:
    1. Move in with the army like in Crimea and shock the garrisons into surrendering;
    2. The population would then rise up and give them the towns keys AT LEAST in half the country (Crimea and other areas already occupied notwithstanding, of course).
    He didn't have the correct information, of course, but that is only his fault.

In the same way, he considers he can simply cut off the internet and make a local WAN instead, problem solved.
    I think everyone here which knows a thing or two would understand why that would not work. It would not work to keep people away from news, it would not work to do business, it would not work to keep the infrastructure isolated from external attacks, in many cases a 56k modem would be enough for devastating attacks, because smart people don't need DDoS to take down something.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2022

Yeah right, "good" country A striving to launch the analogue of a nuke against "evil" country B. ... while country B take great care to not harm country A's infrastructure. -> ukrainian internet still is working fine.

Russia should put rockets into all ukrainian regime buildings. Unfortunately Putin is quite unlikely to do it.

(edited for clarification)

Thanked by 1default
    edited March 2022

@jsg said: Russia should put rockets into all ukrainian regime buildings.

@jsg said: Putin is quite unlikely to do it.

Yep, I think he will use artillery to flatten everything since there are at least 30 million of people supporting the "regime", flatten every house with rockets is very expensive.
    It would still be expensive with the shells, but still much cheaper provided the faulty gear sold by the oligarchs to the army at 50% kickbacks would achieve any kind of precision and wont land in the forests or fields instead, would manage to explode and that won't happen in the cannons or warehouses to begin with.

@jsg said: ukrainian internet still is working fine.

Not thanks to Putin, but the issue here is not the Ukraine's internet, but Russia's, nobody needs to take it down, Putin will do that by himself.

@Maounique said:

Not thanks to Putin, but the issue here is not the Ukraine's internet, but Russia's, nobody needs to take it down, Putin will do that by himself.

BS! The russian troups are under order to avoid damage to civilian infrastructure as far a humanly possible.
    But feel free to continue believing that russian missiles can't destroy infrastructure ...

Anyway, my point isn't Russia or Ukraine. It's any country behaving like the ukrainian regime. If Putin ever behaved like that I'd write exactly the same.

Thanked by 1default
  • @jsg said:

@Maounique said:

BS! The russian troups are under order to avoid damage to civilian infrastructure as far a humanly possible.
    But feel free to continue believing that russian missiles can't destroy infrastructure ...

Anyway, my point isn't Russia or Ukraine. It's any country behaving like the ukrainian regime. If Putin ever behaved like that I'd write exactly the same.

@NobodyInteresting said:
    ("funny" image)

As some just seem to not know it: attacking a person with a view one doesn't like just boils down to not having arguments against the view.

But in your case I'll be lenient because you obviously didn't even read the post you "responded" to. Let me help you:

@jsg said:
    If Putin ever behaved like that I'd write exactly the same.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Punish a country of people long enough and when they run out of apologies they'll start to get angry. When they get angry, they'll start naming their enemies. Totally not how Hitler got elected.

edited March 2022

@jsg said: If Putin ever behaved like that I'd write exactly the same.

Nope, you are not.
    1. US/UK and a timid EU afraid to say no started tearing the rulebook and I have said then to the chagrin of the americans here that it would have consequences;
    2. I have repeatedly pointed out the war crimes and crimes against humanity in Israel, Iraq, Guantanamo, black sites, etc;
    3. The WMD propaganda I loathed like everyone else as well as the lies at the highest level in the "west";
    4. The end justifies the means is not a valid excuse whether used by the west or the east, especially when the end is pure and simple revenge and anger there is someone still fighting for the oppressed people in Israel as well as in many other places where the "west" is supporting criminal regimes for the sake of "stability" and "anti-muslimness".

I think that I am totally impartial here, calling the crimes on their name no matter who does that.
    I can also understand Putin, he is angry, he wanted to join EU and NATO and if he did he would have been a good buffer against china.

That being said, I understand why he was not allowed to join also, if he would have had the NATO arsenal now it would have been way worse. Orban is not dangerous because he rules a small country and Erdogan is dangerous, but his country is not a full fledged dictatorship like Russia, he is still not running sham elections atm and he came close to lose power, he will be dangerous in a few years but, if we manage to contain Putin now, he will be way more cautious about starting a war with EU and NATO.
    Poland is a strange animal, they don't have a strong man with a cult of personality, it does appear that the whole country is ultrareligious and intolerant, maybe it is a specific culture there, with only some 20-30% more open people unlike a normal democratic country where the 20-30% are the intolerant and religious ones.

If you are impartial, you point out propaganda, lies, war crimes, crimes against humanity, corruption, intolerance, religion, hate, etc, no matter who is the perpetrator.
    As someone living in Romania I had a hard time understanding how these people which have a big mouth but are pretty human otherwise could have perpetrated those horrible crimes at Odessa and in Transnistria, but the evidence is compelling.
    I am also the first to admit Romania was one of the last countries in the world to abolish slavery and that because of external pressure and the way Romanians treat the gypsies even today as well as low level racism continues to this day.

You can't claim you are impartial when you only point out to others and rant whataboutistically around.

@jsg said: BS! The russian troups are under order to avoid damage to civilian infrastructure as far a humanly possible.

I am sure they are under orders not to loot also, yet they don't even bother to turn off the cameras because they are 100% sure they will not be punished for taking reparation from nazis.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited March 2022

@hostdare said:
    why only banning Russia ? ban usa and all its allies for invasion in iraq, afghnistan ? why Ukraine is so special than those countries which has face worse than Ukraine with US multi year invasion

+1, best comment in this thread

@hostdare said:
    whole world is currently under propaganda be it Ukraine/NATO and be Russia.

true

@hostdare said:
    Everybody will say their propaganda is right and others are wrong .

same situation with all c19 propaganda and basically whatever told by mainstream media within last 20 years or so :( it is how it is

@Maounique said:

@jsg said: If Putin ever behaved like that I'd write exactly the same.

Nope, you are not.

So you know better that I myself do? Impressive.

If you are impartial

I didn't say that I'm impartial. What I said was here in this discussion I don't care who's country A and who's country B.
    I'm clearly and overtly on Russia's side but I condemn Ukraine's attempt (see OP) not because who tries tries that dirty attack but rather because of the attack - and I'd condemn it just the same if it came from Russia or any other country.

Regarding all your allegations against Russia, kindly stop boring me with that BS, which btw isn't the topic of this thread anyway. You won't succeed to convince me and I wouldn't succeed in convincing you if I tried (which I'm not even interested in because at the end of the day it's utterly meaningless what you or I think about the events in Ukraine).

Thanked by 2jenkki default
  • @xaoc said: ounds very convincing if you're not that bright, his proof is a selfie and some words he read off of a computer screen? Even propaganda isn't what it used to be...

Anatoliy Shariy most trusted Ukrainian blogger. He only one who provide trusted information at this time.

@raindog308 said: you need to read some history because you look ignorant of facts. And also some basic logic - if the West does something wrong, that doesn't make it all right for Russia to do it.

Can please provide a details what are you talking about? Which history? History of Russian colonization of Asia and Africa? Or history to impact to Iraq or Libya?

If talking about Afghanistan Brezhnev send troops to Afghanistan in 1979 under invitation. Like before and after. No one impact by self. Everything was under invitation by legit governments. Prague also was invited by their legit president, Slovak by nationality because he cannot handle situation. He make phone call, start crying and asking for help him.

What are talking about? Where in history Russian army impact to some country by self? Please explain.

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited March 2022

@jsg said:
    Yeah right, "good" country A striving to launch the analogue of a nuke against "evil" country B. ... while country B take great care to not harm country A's infrastructure. -> ukrainian internet still is working fine.

Russia should put rockets into all ukrainian regime buildings. Unfortunately Putin is quite unlikely to do it.

Dude, you're a fucking cunt for wishing rockets upon buildings in Ukraine. Please die.

Edit: Sorry for the harsh words, it's just very disturbing when you see such statements, those buildings have innocent civilians in them...

• @jsg said:

Indeed, please die. If you look for the solution with violence, then you are an inferior person.

Thanked by 2fluffernutter uid0
  • fanfan Veteran

@jenkki said: Show me examples please when Russians coming to some country and occupy them? Even never in history going overseas to colonize Asia or Africa

Although the current relationship between China and Russia seems to be good (for some obviously political reasons), it wasn't for many centuries, in fact, Russia is absolutely the WORST kind of neighboring country which invaded, occupied, and caused genocide. Guess which country still occupies over 1.5 MILLION! km2 of Chinese land now.

If you do read, and I think you are fully capable of, check the history of the now Tuva republic, Mongolia, Sakhalin, outer Manchuria and so much more. I suggest you begin with some entries on wikipedia.

@fan said: Guess which country still occupies over 1.5 MILLION! km2 of Chinese land now.

According to China every country around and even the ocean occupies Chinese territory.
    I have said long ago, though, that China going south against the over populated countries and islands is making the same mistake Japan did during WWII. The fact those don't have nukes is either not true (India has) or irrelevant (the americans will defend some of their allies).
    If I were a Chinese revisionist and conqueror I would turn north towards sparsely populated and rich Russian territories rather than south towards overpopulated and depleted lands. If I were a smart Chinese revisionist and conqueror I would wait for the Russian empire to fold and make my move.

@jsg said: I didn't say that I'm impartial.

I am impartial. Personally I don't care in which country I live as long as the government is not a bunch of morons and I can vote on issues and people.
    That is why I will always call BS when I see it, either in conflicts, in fossil fuel propaganda, in nationalistic propaganda, in antivaxxing propaganda and all kinds of religious hatred as well as racism.

• @fan said: If you do read, and I think you are fully capable of, check the history of the now Tuva republic, Mongolia, Sakhalin, outer Manchuria and so much more. I suggest you begin with some entries on wikipedia.

Look... are you OK? Did you know about republic of Tuva join Soviet Union by self decision of local government after WW2? Did you even read real historical documents about it? Mongolia?? Where Mongolia was occupated by USSR or?? Date and Year please. Sakhalin was Russian territory, Manchuria was going on after Japanese lost war

I really suggest you read real historical documents, instead west made bullshit posted on Wikipedia.

• @Maounique said:

@jsg said: If [...] I'd write exactly the same.

Nope, you are not.

You must know @jsg so well. Do you watch him when he sleeps too? Is he beautiful?

• @default said: Is he beautiful?

Yeah will much your asshole if you ask him.

• @jenkki said:

@default said: Is he beautiful?

Yeah will much your asshole if you ask him.

Things get spicy around here. You want to join too?

• fanfan Veteran

@jenkki said: read real historical documents

Actually, original copies those treaties still exist, stored in museums in Beijing and Taipei, possibly somewhere in Russia too. When the war is over, come and visit, food is great here.

My point is, no country is innocent when it comes to expansion, not Russia, not China, not US, so when you said:

@jenkki said: Rus always help to obtain freedom for all nations who asking for help and always leave out without occupation. Soviet Union always do that.

immediately I know it's not true.

@Maounique said: making the same mistake Japan did during WWII

Indeed, but the egoistic leader who desires power above all, will do whatever it takes to maintain that power, sadly war is very efficient to achieve that. Rumor says he's going to take Taiwan after the Paralympics, hope he doesn't.

Thanked by 2Maounique Rockster
  • @default said: You want to join too?

No, I m already old for your games.

• kendidkendid Veteran

@jenkki Not to engage in a huge debate with you, but trying to understand the other side of view. In your opinion, what is the single biggest justification for going to war with Ukraine?

• @kendid said: In your opinion, what is the single biggest justification for going to war with Ukraine?

jenkki is shit at writing English sentences, but from a moral ground one always views their own culture and country as the best, inherently making NATO and the USSR breakaway states "evil", and therefore the war is only its natural progression of the things that the "west" has tried to do to Russia.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • swiss bank corp. VS putin

and hope trump rise again

bravo, putin is genius

B) B) B) B) B)

@default said: You must know @jsg so well.

I know the general type of nationalist which wants to believe own propaganda.
    Of course he doesn't, but somehow hopes this time it would work.
    These people don't see the emperor is naked and his much touted army, second in the world, is bogged down even without being targeted by Ukraine's defense forces, simply because his generals are chosen by loyalty criteria and not competence and logistics is not a glorious aspect of a war. The soldiers are expected to live off the land by looting, same getting diesel, but they target the storages and shops, GJ.
    After years of "successes" in small areas and small countries, the Russian nationalists believe they can finally make the step towards the renaissance of the empire, they believe they are equal to if not better than NATO and that the allies are disunited and would never defend the "poor" eastern europe.
    Hitler also believed to the last moment the allies will fight each other and leave him alone. I bet jsg thinks the same, even now.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur TimboJones
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2022

@Maounique said:

@default said: You must know @jsg so well.

I know the general type of nationalist which wants to believe own propaganda.

Can't comment. I believe nobody can comment on what you know. It is your opinion, and that's about it. Respect.

Of course he doesn't, but somehow hopes this time it would work.

So... do you consider him beautiful when he sleeps and hopes? I am always confused when it comes to deep emotional connections.

These people don't see the emperor is naked and his much touted army, second in the world, is bogged down even without being targeted by Ukraine's defense forces, simply because his generals are chosen by loyalty criteria and not competence and logistics is not a glorious aspect of a war. The soldiers are expected to live off the land by looting, same getting diesel, but they target the storages and shops, GJ.
    After years of "successes" in small areas and small countries, the Russian nationalists believe they can finally make the step towards the renaissance of the empire, they believe they are equal to if not better than NATO and that the allies are disunited and would never defend the "poor" eastern europe.
    Hitler also believed to the last moment the allies will fight each other and leave him alone. I bet jsg thinks the same, even now.

This is your own propaganda. Enjoy western propaganda, or enjoy "believing your own propaganda" (to quote your own statements).

• @Maounique said: Hitler also believed to the last moment the allies will fight each other and leave him alone. I bet jsg thinks the same, even now.

The problem is the world has many people with a predisposition to think like an attorney, first making up their mind about what to believe, and then goes about finding facts that fit that worldview. If a fact is undeniable and contradicts their worldview, then they go about constructing a fake story justifying the fact.

In the case of jsg, you can see that in full swing in the YABS vs. vpsbench thread. Unfortunately people like him are the rule, not the exception, and more so in autocracies (which Russia undeniably is).

• @kendid said: In your opinion, what is the single biggest justification for going to war with Ukraine?

8 Years of endless military conflict in Donbass. And nazi politics against them. If this conflict stops earlier, no war being for now. There no other ways to stop kill civilians in Donbass. Unfortunately. Ukraine just steps to own rakes. Heads of Donetsk and Lugansk asking for help and president with parlament make decision.

Again, there a special operation against government and their nazi military, not against simple people.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jenkki said:
    Can please provide a details what are you talking about? Which history? History of Russian colonization of Asia and Africa? Or history to impact to Iraq or Libya?

Start at about 6th grade. You are either very ignorant, delusionally indoctrinated, or mad. Your arguments are so laughable that in every case you’re not even wrong.

The argument that you are presenting is essentially that Russia is on some kind of a higher moral plane than other nations, which is completely an utterly absurd. Although we would disagree on US foreign policy, even if I were to adopt your interpretation, to view the Russians as blameless and a lily white over their history, even the recent history, tells me that you did not get enough schooling.

If talking about Afghanistan Brezhnev send troops to Afghanistan in 1979 under invitation. Like before and after. No one impact by self. Everything was under invitation by legit governments. Prague also was invited by their legit president, Slovak by nationality because he cannot handle situation. He make phone call, start crying and asking for help him.

Right… And of course, Polish terrorists destroyed that radio tower in 1030 and Czechs were torturing German civilians and Hitler had no choice but to respond to these desperate pleas for help.

This discussion has been closed.