Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta

12346»

Comments

• I used the 3155 card to trigger the 3D Secure, and it failed on the initial page (the one where it asks to set up first time a card under the billing tab) to save correctly. It brought me to the regular (I guess?) billing page with an infinite 'loading card...' prompt instead of the table.

It also fails to delete the card too. Otherwise, works fine. I too credited some fake money so feel free to uncredit that too.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, I saw a related error in Sentry yesterday evening. Will look into the details today. Thanks for describing the steps to trigger it!

@MrMonkey said: It also fails to delete the card too. Otherwise, works fine. I too credited some fake money so feel free to uncredit that too.

Just checked on this: You can't remove the last payment option or if it's set as auto recharge payment options. This wasn't fully clear from the UI. The "Loading cards" message in the table could also mean the card just wasn't saved and page reloaded. Will make both things more clear in the UI. It doesn't cover all error cases yet.

• @m4nu I just wanted to give your new wordpress pod a spin and realized I'm kinda lost on how to migrate a site to pikapods. I usually take the easiest way and use a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ - install on old site, export, upload on new site, run installer, input DB user and PW or pull them from wp-config.php and done.
    Yet I realized that wp-config.php does not contain the DB details, they get pulled from docker env variables so what is the easiest and suggested way to migrate a site to your WP pod?

@Ovidiu said:
    what is the easiest and suggested way to migrate a site to your WP pod?

There some plugins that allow exporting and restoring a database as file. (Wp-backup?) I also plan on adding a DB import/export feature eventually. For raw SQL.

WP itself can also import posts and pages natively.

Also planning to set up a simple wiki to document such tricks as they come up.

• OvidiuOvidiu Member
    edited April 2022

could you please double check my WP instance? The front-end worked fine but I couldn't access the back end. I was just getting a blank page with no content. The pod's logs were only showing server codes 200 so no errors to be found.

weird behavior:
    I cannot access mypod.pikapod.net/wp-admin/
    but I can access mypod.pikapod.net/wp-login.php
    except that after logging in I still get a blank page

visiting a post like mypod.pikapod.net/2022/04/16/hello-world/ I get

Not Found
    The requested URL was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.53 (Debian) Server at beryl-peccary.pikapod.net Port 80

P.S. Might have been me messing it up, testing various import/export scenarios. Is there an easy way to reset a pod or do I have to delete it and recreate another one?

@Ovidiu said:
    P.S. Might have been me messing it up, testing various import/export scenarios. Is there an easy way to reset a pod or do I have to delete it and recreate another one?

Have you looked at the pod logs for potential errors? Maybe we should add WP_DEBUG to configurable env vars, if supported.

Else, deleting and re-creating is the way to reset everything. Still an interesting suggestion to add a hard reset feature that recreates the pod and database. In the case of WP it may be enough to remove some stuff from wp-content. I’ve never seen a really bad issue caused by data in the DB.

• CatixsCatixs Member, Host Rep

@m4nu said:
    Busy afternoon. 💪 Added a bunch of the most-requested apps:

• Smokeping (latency monitoring)

Smokeping seems still not to show up on the app list.

@Catixs said:
    Smokeping seems still not to show up on the app list.

The image had some issues, so it’s disabled until I can debug them or it’s updated. Sorry for that. An interesting app.

Another update to share here: This week I was lucky enough to welcome a friendly crowd of Chinese users looking for WordPress hosting. As a result the beta finished a little early and there are new measures against disposable emails and proxies in place. 😄

Still had time to polish the interface in some places and add some interesting apps:

• Dashy: dashboard for self-hosted services.
    • HedgeDoc: collaborative markdown editor
    • Pinry: Pinterest clone to share images
    • Rallly: Fairly new Doodle clone to plan meetings. Helped them set up their Docker workflow.
    • RSS-Bridge: Alternative to RSSHub, suggested by LET user @Erisa

Direct link to new apps: https://pikapods.com/apps#new

Regarding available regions, the first US server is installed and just waiting for its data drives. Asia (HK) region is ordered and waiting for memory and HDDs (lots of waiting for hardware these days).

That's all for now. Any ideas or bug reports welcome as usual. 🙌

• OvidiuOvidiu Member

@m4nu I would really appreciate it if you figured out how to “fully transfer” an existing WordPress site to your service. The built-in export/import sucks, but I get it that for content I can upload via SFTP.
    What I still can't figure out is how to completely transfer the DB. I can't seem to find any WP plugins which can do that without the DB credentials.

I'll write something up. Was planning to host a Bookstack instance or something as Wiki anyways.

BTW: Saw us rocking it on Hacker News and Reddit yesterday? You saw it here on LET first.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
    edited May 2022

@Ovidiu said: What I still can't figure out is how to completely transfer the DB. I can't seem to find any WP plugins which can do that without the DB credentials.

This plugin should be able to replace the whole database: https://wordpress.org/plugins/pexlechris-adminer/ (this uses Adminer, which is like Phpmyadmin, but only a single PHP file)

So the steps would be roughly:

1. Do minimal setup
    2. Prepare your DB import. Be sure to update siteurl and home in the wp_options table. If the domain changes, searching and replacing everywhere is even better. But this can be done later.
    3. Upload your wp-content folders. Since you did a minimal install, it should be mostly empty.
    4. Go to the Adminer plugin and import the database. This will overwrite all existing data.
    5. After a refresh, you should see your imported data. Hopefully.

I'll eventually build a SQL import feature to use with any app. But exporting will come before, since it's easier.

• TimRooTimRoo Member

@m4nu said:
    I'll write something up. Was planning to host a Bookstack instance or something as Wiki anyways.

BTW: Saw us rocking it on Hacker News and Reddit yesterday? You saw it here on LET first.

Yep, good to see you get some exposure. Really nice service you've got up and running :smile:

Thanked by 1m4nu

Some more exciting news to share:

• The long-awaited Hong Kong region is now available. Just choose "HK" when adding a new pod. In addition to EU and US.

And some notable new apps added this week:

• Fider: For collecting customer feedback
    • Flarum: Discussion board platform
    • Photoview: Minimal online photo gallery
    • Wallabag (back again): Pocket/Readability clone
    • Gokapi: Private file sharing with expiration date
    Thanked by 1Liso
  • @m4nu does your changedetection pod support full browser screenshots?

@pointgod said:
    @m4nu does your changedetection pod support full browser screenshots?

The pod doesn't come with a Selenium container yet. May add this as different app template, since the resource usage would be much higher. The author does sell hosting with Selenium included in this case.

• @m4nu What framework do you use for your websites?

@jonatha said:
    @m4nu What framework do you use for your websites?

Vue.js usually. Works well for small to medium projects.

Thanked by 1jonatha
  • CloudieCloudie Member, Host Rep

any chance of adding IPv6 Connectivity for the containers?

grabbed an uptime kuma pod, but unfortunately no IPv6 connectivity on them to get to endpoints.. :-(

@m4nu

IPv6 was supported almost from the start. Just IPv6 pings don't work at the moment due to a known bug with the container runtime. So you can already run a http or port check on a IPv6-only host, but not ping it.

• Looks very promising. Made an account today. Looking forward to testing it out :)

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • @m4nu How long is PikaPods expected to be free? Because I noticed there is already a billing system in place.

Example: > @machinetto said:

@m4nu How long is PikaPods expected to be free? Because I noticed there is already a billing system in place.

You can use your free credit as long as it lasts. No expiry date. New users still get $5 free credit. After that you can top up, if you find the service useful and want to keep using it.

Thanked by 1machinetto
  • Ah, so its free upto $5 and after that it's billed as per usage. Got it.

Yeah. Or whatever free credit you got when signing up. It was a bit more earlier, since there were fewer apps and more bugs. It will probably stay at $5 for now.

Thanked by 1machinetto
  • just passed by your pikapods, love that idea and amazing website

wonder that the container is automatically deploy on server or you will do it manually?

Hey there! Thanks for the interest in this!

It's automatic within about 10 seconds. Wouldn't be scalable doing it manually.

You can just sign up and play with it. Everyone still gets $5 welcome credit that doesn't expire.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Bloody love this concept, thanks @m4nu ! hope Kbin threadiverse/social media integrates advertising so I could employ you on a revenue sharing model.

Thanked by 1m4nu

Thanks for the kind feedback. 🙏

I'd do a Black Friday deal, but didn't get to coding a coupon feature or something this year. Maybe early next year.

Thanked by 1starbuck