Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta

Comments

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@o_be_one said: Thanks for welcoming us during the beta!

Thanks for testing! Also very helpful to get feedback and most importantly to stay motivated.

Yes, BorgBase is the previous project I did in 2018. You have probably noticed some similarities. 😄

Backups to BorgBase are already set up and running multiple times a day. Restoring would be manual for now, but possible if someone really needs it. Later this will be automated from the CP.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @m4nu said:

@TimRoo said: Also, if you're going to use resource based pricing, perhaps a "Shut down Pod" option next to the Delete/Restart buttons would be useful. Some containers might not need to be on 24/7.

This is now implemented. Hope it's what you expected. 😀

Seems reasonable enough :)

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • @m4nu
    May I suggest shlink, linkding and linkace. Would be awesome

@zer0r00t said:
    May I suggest shlink, linkding and linkace. Would be awesome

Thanks for the suggestions! Linkace is already on my list. Rest I'll look into. I'll also add your apps here: https://feedback.pikapods.com/

Also added a new feature to view container logs today. In case there is any issue. (A user who shall remain unnamed uploaded some files with broken symlinks which crashed his/her Ghost blog this morning. Hard to debug without logs.)

Thanked by 1Erisa

Busy afternoon. 💪 Added a bunch of the most-requested apps:

• Calibre-web (ebook management)
    • RSSHub (feed generator)
    • The Lounge (IRC Client)
    • PrivatePin (hosting code snippets)
    • Smokeping (latency monitoring)
    • Linkding (bookmark management)
    Thanked by 3Erisa JeDaYoshi iKeyZ
  • ErisaErisa Member

@m4nu said:
    Busy afternoon. 💪 Added a bunch of the most-requested apps:

• Calibre-web (ebook management)
    • RSSHub (feed generator)
    • The Lounge (IRC Client)
    • PrivatePin (hosting code snippets)
    • Smokeping (latency monitoring)
    • Linkding (bookmark management)

These are all really lovely additions, I was waiting for this day for some time. Thank you for all the hard work!!

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited March 2022

Signed up yesterday to try out My Idlers. Spun up quickly and works well, think you've really got something there with a slick UI and easy to get started. Thanks for the free credits!

However, a question regarding for example My Idlers, how did you solve the storage? Are you using/spinning up a DB container in the background together with the app? And if so, are you planning to charge for it as well (I think you probably should and should make it visible)?

And lastly, and this is probably outside of the feedback that you want - are you really using (=paying) ZeroSSL for that wildcard certificate? $40-$50/month when a wildcard certificate can be had for around $50/year. Just wondering if that's money well spent.

Hey @tomle,

thanks for testing and the kind feedback. 🙏 Still working on it, but happy with the progress.

Idler is using MySQL as backend, which is shared between all containers to save resources. Similar to a shared hosting setup. So your data will always persist container upgrades or migrations. I also plan on adding a DB export feature at some point.

Also, not paying for the wildcard cert in 2022. 😄 It just comes via their ACME service. Pretty much the same as Letsencrypt.

Thanked by 1tomle
  • Is it possible to use the container as NFS block? Or pure storage?

@BreakaWD said:
    Is it possible to use the container as NFS block? Or pure storage?

Currently I focus on web apps only. This may change over time, since some apps need extra ports for WebRTC or such.

Some new apps to try this weekend, now available on pikapods.com/apps

• Paperless: index and categorize your paper documents
    • Rocket.Chat: chat app, similar to Slack
    • Wiki.js: simple wiki page for documentation, etc.
    • Wallabag: Like "Pocket", fetches websites and keeps them for later. (any way to improve fetching? doesn't always work.)
    Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • OvidiuOvidiu Member
    edited March 2022

@m4nu said:

@contactwajeeh said: Can we lower the disk allotment below 10gb, for instance gotify container won't be using that much of storage

You can set it to 0 GB and not pay anything, if the app doesn't need any mounted storage.

How about Vaultwarden? It does need a DB to store its data but we're talking about a couple of MB not GB so I guess we need to set storage to 10GB for Vaultwarden?

Another Vaultwarden related question:

I'd like to enable websocket notifications but this needs to be done via a .env file. - I tried uploading one via SFTP but it doesn't seem to be picked up. All it contains is: WEBSOCKET_ENABLED=true - to check, you can visit yourvaultwarden.tld/admin and check under "read-only configs" - any hints? Should .env files work? I uploaded it into the /data/ folder as that seems the only place to upload to.

If the image supports it, we can add such options as custom env vars over time. I’m sure many details can still be improved. I added nearly 40 apps in one month so won’t be perfect. 😬

10 GB is the lowest storage step for now. Maybe you don’t need all of it, but there is also no charge for DB storage, supporting containers or the actual container storage on NVMe. So I’d say thats fair.

• My $50 trial credit will get utilized right away or you will start deducting credit from next year/after beta?

edited March 2022

@Ovidiu said: WEBSOCKET_ENABLED=true - to check, you can visit yourvaultwarden.tld/admin and check under "read-only configs" - any hints?

This env var is now available to edit and set to true by default.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • OvidiuOvidiu Member
    edited March 2022

@m4nu said:
    If the image supports it, we can add such options as custom env vars over time. I’m sure many details can still be improved. I added nearly 40 apps in one month so won’t be perfect. 😬

did you just literally add the env variable I mentioned? :-) awesome!

10 GB is the lowest storage step for now. Maybe you don’t need all of it, but there is also no charge for DB storage, supporting containers or the actual container storage on NVMe. So I’d say thats fair.

I got it, thanks.

Also, here is another hint for you regarding vaultwarden:
    if you access vaultwarden.tld/admin and go to the diagnostic section, it seems like the env variable: Client IP header is set to X-Real-IP by default but your reverse proxy apparently sets X-Forwarded-For - you might want to set this env variable by default to match waht your reverse proxy uses.

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said: My $50 trial credit will get utilized right away or you will start deducting credit from next year/after beta?

Trial/welcome credit is used right away. The beta will probably end in the next ~2 weeks, since some projects are already keen to go live.

On the upside, there is no expiration date on the welcome credit. So you could run a basic uptime monitor for free for 4 years. Or a large photo instance for half a year.

Thanked by 2TimboJones Ironia
  • I've got a problem with my uptime-kuma instance not generating the SSL certificate. I created that pod about 18 hours ago but the site still says:

This site can’t provide a secure connection sent an invalid response.
    Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

@Ovidiu said: I've got a problem with my uptime-kuma instance not generating the SSL certificate. I created that pod about 18 hours ago but the site still says:

From what I see, this is a .ru domain. Those aren't supported any more by ZeroSSL. 😬

Best to use some other TLD.

Thanked by 1Ovidiu
  • OvidiuOvidiu Member
    edited March 2022

@m4nu said:

@Ovidiu said: I've got a problem with my uptime-kuma instance not generating the SSL certificate. I created that pod about 18 hours ago but the site still says:

From what I see, this is a .ru domain. Those aren't supported any more by ZeroSSL. 😬

Best to use some other TLD.

oh no :'( that is my main domain. been using it for some 20+ years and lately with letsencrypt without problems. sigh I guess I need to use a spare one then.

• changed to a different domain, made sure ZeroSSL can deliver a certificate for it, restarted the pod a couple of times and yet 1h later still no certificate - would you mind double checking? its a .dj domain this time.

@Ovidiu said:
    changed to a different domain, made sure ZeroSSL can deliver a certificate for it, restarted the pod a couple of times and yet 1h later still no certificate - would you mind double checking? its a .dj domain this time.

Where do you find those sketchy domains? 🙈 This time it was my fault. Duplicate domain in the config... Will monitor for this more closely.

Your custom domain already works. Usually less than a minute to issue the cert.

• Where do you find those sketchy domains? 🙈 This time it was my fault. Duplicate domain in the config... Will monitor for this more closely.

Your custom domain already works. Usually less than a minute to issue the cert.

some 20 years ago, I was young and stupid and thought it would be fun to get a vanity domain and now I'm being penalized for it :'( (the .dj one was just the shorted domain I could find at the time)

Just imagine you had gotten a vanity email + domain like [email protected] and now the country whose tld is .nu is being boycotted

p.s. Thanks for fixing it, the pod works now.

Thanked by 1m4nu

Thanks for the app suggestions, @Ovidiu! Some were already on my list. Will do another batch soon.

Also added monitoring to disable outdated custom domains, so new domains can be added quicker.

• @m4nu just wanted to say thanks for adding linkding and non-expiring welcome credit <3

Thanked by 1m4nu

@zer0r00t said:
    @m4nu just wanted to say thanks for adding linkding and non-expiring welcome credit <3

Thanks to you for testing! Learning a lot here, so totally worth it.

• @m4nu Just went to sign up and actually remembered to disable uMatrix and reload first but still got:

connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: Connection refused Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections? connection to server at "localhost" (127.0.0.1), port 5432 failed: Connection refused Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?

Tried from another machine that doesn't have any ad blocking or DNS filtering and it worked. I looked back at my first browser and there was still a blocked tracker o192628.ingest.sentry.io from Privacy Badger. So not sure if I tried at the very wrong moment of maintenance and a retry would have worked, or if the that sentry domain being blocked could have caused the error. Since I did successfully sign up on the other browser, I haven't retried anything on the first browser so I didn't cause multiple accounts.

Just FYI, as most of the time disabling uMatrix before signing up for stuff usually works in my experience.

I rebooted the control panel after applying some updates and Postgres didn’t come up again right away. Lasted a 1-2 min, sorry if you tried to log in at that moment. 😬

Sentry is there to record errors you may get. It won’t send anything otherwise. So not really tracking.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@TimboJones said:
    Just FYI, as most of the time disabling uMatrix before signing up for stuff usually works in my experience.

No need to disable your adblocker. I don’t install any tracking on my sites. Except for Sentry to log errors and an internal API call to record the referer.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2022

@m4nu said:

@TimboJones said:

No need to disable your adblocker. I don’t install any tracking on my sites. Except for Sentry to log errors and an internal API call to record the referer.

What about fonts.googleapis.com? Not tied to Google anti-captcha/bot stuff (the usual uMatrix "oh right" fail)?