Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta

Comments

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@TimboJones said: What about fonts.googleapis.com? Not tied to Google anti-captcha/bot stuff (the usual uMatrix "oh right" fail)?

I don't use Google Fonts either. Just local Fontawesome and the "system font stack" (which is great BTW). I don't see the point of shipping fonts with a website, if the OS already has great fonts. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @m4nu said: Just note that I won't add any projects that already have a hosted offering

https://rocket.chat/pricing?tab=saas

Are all services contained in each pod with no shared services? (e.g. a shared MongoDB for Rocket.Chat pods).

@Kassem said: Are all services contained in each pod with no shared services? (e.g. a shared MongoDB for Rocket.Chat pods).

MySQL and Postgres are shared, because they are pretty efficient to share.

Mongo and Redis is run inside the pod, since they are harder to secure and need a separate process anyways.

• @m4nu said: Just note that I won't add any projects that already have a hosted offering

https://lemonade.changedetection.io/start
    Just wanted to let you know that.

@Ovidiu said:

@m4nu said: Just note that I won't add any projects that already have a hosted offering

https://lemonade.changedetection.io/start
    Just wanted to let you know that.

Thanks for sharing. This wasn't there when I first added the app. Disabled it for new pods for the moment and will check with the author if he wants PikaPods as "light" version without full browser support.

Thanked by 1Ovidiu
  • @m4nu the service worked smoothly just with two clicks. Thanks for that! Just wanted to let you know that the free credit is $20 for me.

edited March 2022

@TheMister said:
    @m4nu the service worked smoothly just with two clicks. Thanks for that! Just wanted to let you know that the free credit is $20 for me.

Yes, I reduced it, since enough people signed up and my test server is getting full. Will soon close the beta and deploy a new Ryzen box. And then add more regions.

If you need more credit for testing, PM me your registered email and I'll increase it.

Also thanks for the feedback and testing! πŸ™

• Wow that was a fast reply, thanks! I think I'm good with that credit, that's still a lot, thank you for that! I just reported it because in the email I received still 50$ were mentioned. Keep up the good work 🀞🏻

@m4nu said:

Yes, I reduced it, since enough people signed up and my test server is getting full. Will soon close the beta and deploy a new Ryzen box. And then add more regions.

If you need more credit for testing, PM me your registered email and I'll increase it.

Also thanks for the feedback and testing! πŸ™

Thanked by 1m4nu

@TheMister said: email I received still 50$ were mentioned

😬 Uh. One last place to update it.

• i have one question, will my account be deleted once finished the beta test?

@oniichan said:
    i have one question, will my account be deleted once finished the beta test?

No, of course not! And you can still use up your free welcome credit for as long as you want.

• @m4nu said:

@oniichan said:
    i have one question, will my account be deleted once finished the beta test?

No, of course not! And you can still use up your free welcome credit for as long as you want.

thx

• kdhkdh Member

@m4nu Is there any ETAs for the US region? I really like this :)

@kdh said:
    @m4nu Is there any ETAs for the US region? I really like this :)

I already have an offer from my colo partner. So maybe 1 month after the beta ends.

• How sure are you about the default resource allocation for apps?

Here are my impressions so far after running these 2 instances for about 7 days:

I run Vaultwarden with myself as the sole user. I use it on my mobile phone and I installed its extension on 2 instances of Chrome. The default minimum RAM for it is 256MB. It has been using almost all of that RAM constantly.
    Is it safe to add a few more family members onto this instance?

I also run an instance of uptime kuma and the default minimum RAM is 512MB but I have been running this instance for about a month monitoring about 16 sites and the RAM usage has constantly been around 70MB

Do you monitor errors related to resources?

Thanked by 1Erisa
    edited March 2022

@Ovidiu said:
    How sure are you about the default resource allocation for apps?

Educated guessing after running the app for a while. Can surely be improved. Will adjust the stuff you mentioned

For some apps, much depends on usage. E.g. facial rec and raw images are pretty heavy on PhotoPrism, but indexing JPEGs only needs less memory. For Vaultwarden, maybe it needs more RAM with WS enabled.

Do you monitor errors related to resources?

Yes, I monitor for OOM errors, but don’t see many after a few adjustments to min. resources. Every app also gets 2x its memory in SSD/NVMe-based swap, which keeps OOM errors at bay.

• Availability at SG region will be great.

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    Availability at SG region will be great.

Singapur "region" 🀣

Jokes aside, Japan or Singapur is probably coming eventually.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • nice, testing the pikapods and i like them

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited March 2022

cant add more =( account limited.

tested the IRC pod but it only shows login and passs, it doesnt allow to change settings or to there network will connect.

edited March 2022

@dedicados said:
    cant add more =( account limited.

You can add one of the linked test credit cards under Account > Billing to increase your Pod limit.

tested the IRC pod but it only shows login and passs, it doesnt allow to change settings or to there network will connect.

Quite possible. Will check it out. Some apps are rather new and I mark those with an "experimental" icon in the app list. Having a "Report Issue" button could be good too.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @m4nu said:

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    Availability at SG region will be great.

Singapur "region" 🀣

My bad. Singapore location in Asia region. Okay now?

• How about adding filestash.app?

Or any similar ftp/sftp browser+file editor?

edited March 2022

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said: How about adding filestash.app?

Or any similar ftp/sftp browser+file editor?

There should be a file browser app or two on the suggestion list. Added yours here.

Will get back to adding more apps in about a week after wrapping up the public beta.

• OvidiuOvidiu Member
    edited April 2022

@m4nu I managed to break something:

I created a baserow pod left everything at default. As it did not become available after 5 minutes or so, I restarted it.

Now its stuck. maybe these screenshots help.

https://pasteboard.co/HkEG2jo4pypQ.png

https://pasteboard.co/CA3icyz5sU53.png

https://pasteboard.co/BoNfnkB5xyPk.png

edited April 2022

@Ovidiu said: I created a baserow pod left everything at default. As it did not become available after 5 minutes or so, I restarted it.

Yeah, I saw those timeouts in Sentry. Wasn't working full time this week, so didn't check them out yet.

Baserow is a bit flaky and the container image I'm using is still very new. Thus the app is also marked as experimental. Thankfully the devs shared some tips on how to improve speed and resource usage on HN. Will look into those soon and try to keep this app available.

Finished implementing the payment system with some adjustments based on the feedback I got: There is now a pre-paid option with credits and optional auto recharges.

All feedback still welcome. πŸ˜€

Will move on to updating a few apps now.

• ErisaErisa Member

The auto recharge button seems to be unavailable but the add funds functionality does work. I added $10 with a test card to check it out, you're welcome to remove it hahah.

Thanked by 1m4nu

@Erisa said:
    The auto recharge button seems to be unavailable but the add funds functionality does work. I added $10 with a test card to check it out, you're welcome to remove it hahah.

Thanks for testing! Auto recharge isn't implemented yet. Most people will want pre-paid at first, I think. So good to know it works and makes sense. πŸ‘

Thanked by 1Erisa
    edited April 2022

Busy week here at PikaPods: New Hong Kong server is ordered, since that's what many asked for in our survey; billing including auto-recharge is now fully implemented and we added and updated some great apps:

• Filerun: light Dropbox alternative with basic support for photos and music (suggested by @Ovidiu)
    • Matomo: Our second web analytics app after Umami
    • Monica: personal CRM
    • Metabase: business intelligence dashboard
    • Mealie: organize your recipes
    • Traggo: time tracking tool
    • WordPress: second blogging platform. (full access to wp-content via SFTP)
    Thanked by 1onplus