Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple containerized open source app hosting - Free for a year during Beta

Comments

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

Waiting for the IPv6. :)

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

It's already enabled on the host system. Let me check if an additional setting is needed to make it work for containers.

I can confirm that IPv6 doesn't work out of the box in containers. I'm also using rootless containers, which may make it a tad harder. 😬

Do note that IPv6 is already set up on the host. So you can view and use your pods over IPv6. Pods just can't reach IPv6 addresses on their own. This is probably fine for many apps, except if you are e.g. doing uptime monitoring on IPv6-only hosts.

For now I'll add it to the feedback tracker and will look into it once more urgent features are added.

edited January 2022

@WebHorizon said: Waiting for the IPv6.

IPv6 is now working for outgoing connections. Tested with Uptime Kuma pod. Won't add it to all apps for now, since I saw loading issues with some other apps.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

@m4nu said:

IPv6 is now working for outgoing connections. Tested with Uptime Kuma pod. Won't add it to all apps for now, since I saw loading issues with some other apps.

Cool, thanks :)

• dystopiadystopia Member
    edited January 2022

+1 for having 2fa

Ill be recommending this to my friends that aren't really tech savvy that always ask about having their own "insert big tech name here" clone. Tried out archivebox and gitea with both running perfectly.

And as someone else mentioned, having nitter available would be cool. There are a handful of other alt front ends out there that would are fairly lightweight as well. I've just made a post on the feedback area.

@dystopia said: Ill be recommending this to my friends that aren't really tech savvy that always ask about having their own "insert big tech name here" clone. Tried out archivebox and gitea with both running perfectly.

Thanks for the referrals. That's pretty much the target group. I'm also running my own containers on the service by now (always eat your own dog food 🐢🦴). Photos, uptime monitoring and changedetection mostly. No need to spend time managing and updating those.

@Erisa said: For backups, maybe you could be cheeky and integrate with BorgBase...

There are backups to BorgBase now 4x per day. Per-container snapshots will take a bit longer. For containers, I'm just backing up mounted volumes and any database. The image itself shouldn't contain any data, as it would also be lost during an update or migration.

@henrymiller said: need support for Navidrome (music streaming server)

Navidrome is now available. Very cool app and good Docker image. May start using this myself.

Some people also suggested Smokeping, which looks interesting. But there is no Docker image that works well in a rootless setup. The one by Linuxserver.io is outright hostile to rootless. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ I'll probably maintain a few images myself. At least a nice way to contribute back.

Thanked by 1Erisa
    edited January 2022

PS: Changing your subdomain works now. Just noticed it was broken before. So you can do e.g. henry-pics.pikapod.net. Or just use your own domain.

• Wow, it's really cool, I start using FreshRSS in one minute.
    But when I tried to connect with SFTP, it failed, disconnected from the remote. Let me try again later.

@einverne said: But when I tried to connect with SFTP, it failed, disconnected from the remote. Let me try again later.

Should work, I think you disabled it again. I see it was on from 10:20 to 10:27 and a failed login at 10:28. If not, PM.

Thanked by 1einverne
  • custom storage size configuration values beside 5,10,50,100,250GB would be nice

Thanked by 1Erisa

@k4zz said: custom storage size configuration values beside 5,10,50,100,250GB would be nice

Done. Now in steps of 5 GB or as direct input. Also made env vars editable for apps that support it. And added Jupyter Lab as new app.

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • Checking the Remember this device for 30 days. box when entering my 2fa code throws this error: name 'jwt' is not defined. If I don't check the box then I get logged in like normal. The browser console doesn't show any errors either.

Yeah, I copied some parts from BorgBase and didn't fully adjust it yet. Will work by tomorrow. πŸ™

@dystopia said: Checking the Remember this device for 30 days. box when entering my 2fa code throws this error: name 'jwt' is not defined.

This is now fixed. Thanks for pointing out!

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • A Pods were created before, and the domain name binding was successful. Now I delete the previously created pods and re-create the pods, but the verification has not been passed when I bind the domain name. Keep saying: Could not verify CNAME. Please add your CNAME record first.

Could not verify CNAME. Please add your CNAME record first.

Have you pointed your CNAME to the new pod subdomain? Subdomain for the new pod will be different. And depending on your CNAME TTL, it can take a bit before the change is propagated everywhere.

• Very good to use very good

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • Just tried out. Very cool project. Keep it up.
    What's your expected pricing?

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • good

@Yggdrasil_WS said: What's your expected pricing?

I wouldn't post it here, if it was high-end. πŸ˜„

Currently I'm thinking of having S, M, L and custom monthly packages that allow running a combination of pods, CPUs, RAM and storage at will. With the S, M and L options mostly there to make it easier to get started. Once you know what you need, you can customize.

Ex-post pricing is another option, but more risky for both user and provider.

There will also be a free tier to run at least one simple app.

That's all I got for now. Would love to hear any thoughts as I'm still figuring it out.

For the next weeks the focus will be on doing more testing, fixing bugs and doing outreach to open source projects.

Hey all, made good progress on this project and have some preliminary pricing on the frontpage: pikapods.com/#pricing Would love to know what you think about it.

Billing is also partly implemented. Use any Stripe test card to "pay". πŸ˜„

Beta testing will close in about 1-2 weeks, so be sure to sign up and test if you haven't yet and get 3 pods free for a year.

Also: Fuck Putin, Slava Ukraini! πŸ’ͺπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Thanked by 1AmplyImpure
  • @m4nu said: Hey all, made good progress on this project and have some preliminary pricing on the frontpage: pikapods.com/#pricing Would love to know what you think about it.

The pricing seems.. extremely fair. It almost feels too cheap, so if that's sustainable for you then I'm okay with it.
    The storage for example, if SSD, is cheaper than other providers offering SSD storage. And I can make a pod with 12gb of ram and not much of the other things for $7/mo which feels like a good deal.

Will you support per-hour billing if I make a pod with specific resources and then either change the resources or remove the pod? Since it's a container I can modify the resources at will, so can I manually spike them and not be paid for the whole month?

After writing that paragraph I saw the little question mark hover note that explains "per-hour increments", but I'm still curious what happens if I change the resources partway.

• Also:

Some apps have minimum resource requirements. It would be nice if there was an option to bypass this, some kind of "I accept the risk and don't mind if it breaks because of the low resources". Because depending on your usage you might not need all of those resources and it sucks having to pay for unused resources.
    Also some of these changed recently. My PhotoPrism pod with 2 cores that was running fine for relatively light usage now requires 4 and cannot be edited without increasing its cores to 4.

And I just noticed now, when I try to edit a pod while at the maximum pod limit it throws You have reached the maximum number of pods.. These errors also appear to show in more than just the one place they're supposed to, like that error appeared on two pods when it was meant for one and if I have an error like that (or the minimum resources) and go to create a new pod it appears there as well.

edited February 2022

My PhotoPrism pod with 2 cores that was running fine for relatively light usage now requires 4 and cannot be edited without increasing its cores to 4.

Changed back to 2, since it's running fine with fewer. In some cases the authors want a minimum price or minimum resources to avoid people blaming them for app crashes (out of memory). I'll look into adding logging and an override so people see when their app crashes. I still wouldn't want an app crashing constantly since it also needs resources to restart it.

I just noticed now, when I try to edit a pod while at the maximum pod limit it throws You have reached the maximum number of pods..

Good find! Just fixed this. πŸ‘

BTW: You can now easily check your limits under Account > Limits

These errors also appear to show in more than just the one place they're supposed to.

Also true. I should clear my errors more often. Should be better now.

Thanked by 1Erisa
    edited February 2022

@Erisa said: The storage for example, if SSD, is cheaper than other providers offering SSD storage. And I can make a pod with 12gb of ram and not much of the other things for $7/mo which feels like a good deal.

The storage is mixed. Container and application data runs from NVMe. Attached volumes with larger data run from HDD.

Will you support per-hour billing if I make a pod with specific resources and then either change the resources or remove the pod?

Billing is already hourly. The monthly price is mostly for illustration. The actual calculation is per hour and you only pay by the hour (rounded up to next full hour). So you can edit it as often as you need. For review check Account > Usage

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited February 2022

@m4nu said: Billing is already hourly. The monthly price is mostly for illustration. The actual calculation is per hour and you only pay by the hour (rounded up to next full hour). So you can edit it as often as you need.

Ah! That's what I had suspected and what I was hoping for, thanks!

@m4nu said: The storage is mixed. Container and application data runs from NVMe. Attached volumes with larger data run from HDD.

That makes total sense actually - hadn't thought of that.

By the way while you're here - is it possible to access the databases for these applications at all? I like that I can import/export data, but for an application with lots of metadata for its file if its used for a long time if you migrate off you may want to keep the database as well to avoid having to recreate all that stuff.

• henrymillerhenrymiller Member
    edited February 2022

I'll be completely honest, I don't like how the pricing works. Allocating space per container is uh... not great. I'll try to write up a user story from my side.

So I sign up because I want to store my music on there with navidrome or my photos with photoprism. My local music library is 49gb. ok, i'll allocate and pay for 50gb, no problem.
    i'll download some more albums and hit 50gb. oh shit, sftp errors, i'll need to log in to the webinterface and bump it to 51gb etc. Like, to get the lowest pricing it need to micromanage my storage in the webinterface. Me no like.

Storage cap should be global across all pods and pay for however much you use, ideally with being able to set a cap for cost control.

Edit: While we're at it, I'd love if RAM and CPU have a similar system to heroku when pods go to sleep if you don't use them. And then also have cloud like pay what you used billing with being able to set a cost control cap. But the issue is way less pronounced there from a usability point of view than with storage.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

@m4nu said:

@Erisa said: Both social logins on your feedback site don't appear to work.

Good tip. Fixed now. Didn't adjust the URLs before.

@Erisa said: And small things like pastebin sites. Would be super excited to see Ghost come to fruition as well.

Something Pastebin-like would be nice. Will see what's there. And check with Ghost, if they would mind.

BorgBase integration might be possible. A few of my customers are hosting companies actually. Seems to work for them.

I would only backup the container volumes and database. The container image needs to be ephemeral. It's lost during updates anyways.

So thanks a lot for all the great input and also for using BorgBase. All much appreciated. πŸ™πŸ‘

PrivateBin; https://github.com/PrivateBin/PrivateBin would be a good option for a Pastebin-like application.

Thanked by 1Erisa

@henrymiller said: Storage cap should be global across all pods and pay for however much you use, ideally with being able to set a cap for cost control.

I'm using a global cap on BorgBase and it's a headache to manage because you need to constantly update all the user's repositories. That's probably why almost every provider allocates a fixed amount per-product. On PikaPods, you can at least choose the amount in a flexible way.

That said, most apps aren't storage-focused and I'm using HDD for apps that need more storage (photo and music) to keep the price low.