Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction

1235»

Comments

• @msg7086 said:
    What's the last day to make decision to cancel the SB server? With your cancellation policy I think we only have less than 10 days to make decisions to cancel timely.

while the official cancellation period is 30 days, that's just a maximum and the real option depends on two dates, the one cou get your invoice and the one your server was provisioned.

every time you get an invoice they will charge you for the current period you are in. that means if your server started on 15th and you get your invoice on 25th you'll see that server charge from 15th this month till 14th next month on that invoice. consider it a mix of post- and prepaid.

the cancellation possibble for any date after what's already invoiced. so to continue with the example beginning of a new month your earliest cancellation date would be the 14th. after the 14th but before new invoice (25th) you can cancel any date... even for the same day. after 25th and new invoice issued you again can cancel earliest 14th next month.

sounds complicated but's actually not and allows for quite short cancellation times in most cases. they simply don't want to have too much overhead with refunds or the likes or alligning billing and order dates I assume.

however this means, everyone needs to check for themselves, what the latest possible date for a cancellation date might be, before the price increase comes in.

I also assume, for the no-setup fee upgrade offer it does not matter much, if you cancel already and only get the new server a month or two later. it said only to mention the affected server and that you're eligible for ordering without setup fee till july.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@rcy026 said:
    And just to make it perfectly clear, I am not against solar or wind, not at all. But it is not a replacement for nuclear, and will most likely never be.

If you do not believe me, here is a picture of the roof of my house. I've been running solar for 20+ years, so trying to lecture me of it's perks is very redundant.

This is the thing about propaganda, it usually comes backed up by some facts.
    The way to counter the propaganda is not to say "this is rubbish" (it is, but won't help you because there are some facts there) so the best way would be "yes, but..." and you refute the fallacy after it.
    For example, in this case:

it is not a replacement for nuclear, and will most likely never be.

That would be because, apparently, solar panels don't produce power when there is no sun and the wind turbines don't produce power when wind is not blowing.

Now our "but"s
    When it is night, the solar panels do not produce power (https://www.saurenergy.com/solar-energy-news/arriving-soon-solar-panels-that-generate-power-at-night). Yes, BUT, they do produce in cloudy days. Depending on how cloudy, more when there is only fog and less when there is thick cover like in a storm in summer, they still convert the light spectrum to some degree (on average, solar panels will generate 10 to 25% of their normal power output on days with heavy cloud coverage) and the solar energy is not only convertible just by the "direct to DC" solar panels, there are mirrors which heat up a salt and which stores heat for many hours into the night (https://www.yara.com/chemical-and-environmental-solutions/solar-power-molten-salt/). Of course, you can have a bad streak with 10 days in a row of a huge storm in the summer, but then the wind is supposed to make up for it.
    During the arctic winter there is no sun for months at the north pole.
    Yes, BUT, during the summer it is more or less non-stop and, in general, the night and day over all the globe is the same, 50/50 in a given year while also the wind int he winter is much more powerful and reliable at the higher latitudes.
    Now, yes, you can have a long time with cloud AND no wind, but it is highly unlikely, in general, at the higher latitudes there is much wind and pretty reliable, while in the lower it is more patchy and coming in bursts (with MANY and notable exceptions), but the sun usually beams closer to 90 degrees to the earth surface so it is more powerful.
    Now, yes, the solar and wind are not reliable, BUT we can design a grid given the modelled conditions for Europe, for example, because, when we have calm somewhere, it means there is a high stationed, but then around it there is frontal activity stimulated by it. It also means there is sun over there and viceversa. There is a reason people invented models of atmospheric conditions and they can be put to work.
    Yes, the sun and wind are not reliable BUT, they are not the only renewable sources AND in many places they are reliable. The sun will shine 350 days in Sahara and the wind will blow 300 days in Scotland or the bay of Biscay, in the meantime we can open up hydro power or use wave energy geothermal or even batteries.
    None of those can replace nuclear, coal, gas and oil, of course, nobody uses ONLY gas, coal, nuclear or oil without the other 3, but a combined approach can, right now.
    Now, let's talk about the things pictured which are not photovoltaic solar panels, but they are heating water. that is decades old technology which cannot compare with today's tech in the field. It is like saying, look at me, I am not against negroes, I like them, but in the way they were two hundred years ago.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well if they hike the price, surely you have the right to kill the contract on the next due date if the price increases by that date.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi everyone, sorry that I wasn't here to respond to questions last week. I am going to try to work through your comments and questions bit by bit.

@tommmy said:
    Can someone refresh my memory? I haven't been cancelling any Hetzner server for a while. IIRC we have to cancel before certain date to avoid any further charge.

If I set the date to Jan 31, will I be charged?

I believe our 30 day to the end of the month policy applies here. If you cancel now, you should be fine. Keep in mind that only some servers from the Server Auction were affected. If you didn't get an email, your prices aren't going to increase. And yesterday we also sent out another email to affected customers with an additional offer. --Katie

From what I understand, 30 days will be added to the cancellation date. Does this also means I need to pay my cancelled server for that additional 30 days?

Also yes, all 3 servers of mine are affected, sadly.

• @tommmy said: From what I understand, 30 days will be added to the cancellation date. Does this also means I need to pay my cancelled server for that additional 30 days?

no, nothing like that. log into the robot, click the cancellation tab per server and it will show you the earliest possible cancellation date.
    that would be the last day charged for on your invoice and the server will be gone end of that day. it will more or less always be much closer than what you expect and it is usually neither static nor to the end of month. I cancelled a server two days ago and the earliest possible date was 2nd of feb.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Maounique said:
    Now, let's talk about the things pictured which are not photovoltaic solar panels, but they are heating water. that is decades old technology which cannot compare with today's tech in the field. It is like saying, look at me, I am not against negroes, I like them, but in the way they were two hundred years ago.

That...was..wow.
    Yes, the panels are for heating only, and yes, they are 20+ years. One could take that as an indication that I was very early trying out solar panels, even before people did it just to be "woke".
    Or, one could take the totally racist approach you just did. I have no idea how your brain works to even come up with something like that.

The reason for not using photovoltaic panels is simple that it does not pay off. I live in Sweden, and that house is in the north. Most of the year we have a few hours of weak sunlight (if its not cloudy) per day. Trying to get electricity during these few hours and then storing it for night time when we need it is not feasible, and since heat is what we primarily need during the dark hours we heat water and store the heat that way. I've had several experts look at the installation and they have all agreed that it would not pay off to upgrade it, and using it to heat water is by far the most effective use.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited January 2022

@Falzo said:
    the cancellation possibble for any date after what's already invoiced. so to continue with the example beginning of a new month your earliest cancellation date would be the 14th. after the 14th but before new invoice (25th) you can cancel any date... even for the same day. after 25th and new invoice issued you again can cancel earliest 14th next month.

Many thanks. That means they simply don't refund any paid payment, and I can cancel anytime and the server will basically run until the date that I paid for.

Thanked by 1Falzo
    edited January 2022

@rcy026 said: One could take that as an indication that I was very early trying out solar panels,

That is not "early" by any kind of a measure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_heating#:~:text=Flat-plate collectors for solar,after the 1973 oil crisis.
    Let alone "very".
    Now go on and rant about how unworthy is wikipedia to even open if you are not a bleeding heart librul.
    They are 100 years old and before that people used different approaches, like pumping water through a tarred barrel on the roof. Of course, in Sweden that didn't make much sense, but I was talking about the "technology", not the location.
    As for "a few hours a day", yes, in the winter, as discussed, but in the summer the sun is around for most of the time, it wont work for heating the home, but it can certainly work for other usage or even giving the power to the grid. In the south works for cooling the home, but I suppose you won't need that yet, 40+ temperatures in Sweden are rare for now and even 35 is tolerable for the short time it lasts atm.

• Looking for alternatives……

• @Falzo said:

@tommmy said: From what I understand, 30 days will be added to the cancellation date. Does this also means I need to pay my cancelled server for that additional 30 days?

no, nothing like that. log into the robot, click the cancellation tab per server and it will show you the earliest possible cancellation date.
    that would be the last day charged for on your invoice and the server will be gone end of that day. it will more or less always be much closer than what you expect and it is usually neither static nor to the end of month. I cancelled a server two days ago and the earliest possible date was 2nd of feb.

I see. So what is the 30-day policy? I am so confused here.

• @tommmy said:

@Falzo said:

@tommmy said: From what I understand, 30 days will be added to the cancellation date. Does this also means I need to pay my cancelled server for that additional 30 days?

I see. So what is the 30-day policy? I am so confused here.

A safety measure for the provider and essentially a scenario you'll only experience in rare cases (ordered one day befor billing date).

More likely it is something to have a clear line if clients do not cancel at all but also do not pay their invoice. If collection agencies gave to be send after you, it helps to calculate a proper amount that is owed.

If on the other hand you do cancel yourself it makes it easier for both parties, to allow for shorter terms. By picking a date base on whats already paid for instead, wouldn't you agree? ;-)

TL;DR; look up your cancellation date in their portal and be done ;-)

Thanked by 2tommmy Hetzner_OL
  • Is hetzner not monitoring each servers electricity use? I would really like if they charged electricity directly. You lightly use a server, pay much less than someone running full steam all the time.

And yeah I already wonder why with current electricity prices they haven't changed amd 3000 to 5000..

I need lots of data storage but CPU idling mostly. So hetzner is best for me. But yeah I kinda pay for people with heavy load.....

Thanked by 1darkimmortal

@extremecarver said: Is hetzner not monitoring each servers electricity use?

That is difficult and probably not feasible as the cost to do that will likely outstrip any economy you may make by using little CPU.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Maounique said:

@rcy026 said: One could take that as an indication that I was very early trying out solar panels,

That is not "early" by any kind of a measure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_heating#:~:text=Flat-plate collectors for solar,after the 1973 oil crisis.
    Let alone "very".
    Now go on and rant about how unworthy is wikipedia to even open if you are not a bleeding heart librul.
    They are 100 years old and before that people used different approaches, like pumping water through a tarred barrel on the roof. Of course, in Sweden that didn't make much sense, but I was talking about the "technology", not the location.

And I was talking about using the technology (with panels, not barrels) for private use, on your own home. When we installed these 20-something years ago, most people were not even aware that the technology existed. People still, to this day, go "wow, what is that? how does it work?" when they see the solar panels. If the technology was ready 100 years ago, why is it not more widespread? My house is the only one in a 100km radius that use solar panels that I know of. Is has picked up a lot the last few years, but I would still say a best case scenario is that 1 in 1000 houses use solar panels.
    There is usually a major time span between the invention of a technology and the early mainstream adoption of said technology, no matter what technology you are discussing. I will claim that solar is not yet widely adopted, even if its been around for a 100 years.

As for "a few hours a day", yes, in the winter, as discussed, but in the summer the sun is around for most of the time, it wont work for heating the home, but it can certainly work for other usage or even giving the power to the grid. In the south works for cooling the home, but I suppose you won't need that yet, 40+ temperatures in Sweden are rare for now and even 35 is tolerable for the short time it lasts atm.

In the summer I have no need for it. The amount of electricity we use in the summer time comes down to a few dollars a month. It would take me hundreds of years to even break even with the cost of installation.
    I need the electricity during the winter, primarily for heating. If it works great in the summer is of absolutely no relevance to me.

To put it short I am in no way, shape or form against neither solar nor wind. Quite the opposite, I advocate both of them as soon as I get a chance. But, I will still claim that it can not replace nuclear. Now now, and probably not in the foreseeable future.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Thanks again to @Falzo for his general awesomeness and encyclopedic knowledge. I can confirm everything he said.
    And yes, as he wrote, the easiest way to see your earliest possible cancellation date is to log onto your Robot account and check.
    If you ordered different products on different dates, you will likely have different cancellation date for each one.
    You will have access to the server until the cancellation date that you choose. And we will invoice you for that time.
    Check out our Hetzner Docs articles here about cancellations for Robot/konsoleH/Cloud Console. There's some good all-round information there. If you still any questions, please write a support request, and our team will be happy to help. --Katie

Thanked by 2Falzo tommmy

@rcy026 said: In the summer I have no need for it.

That is not the point, it is what the planet needs.
    You can give it to the grid, we call that prosumering here from producing and consuming.

@rcy026 said: But, I will still claim that it can not replace nuclear.

Of course you would. No matter how much nuclear costs for KW, with 10 times the subventions renewables get, it would still be able to break even. The lobbyist come and say, look, we can make this for this amount of money, then it will cost double and say you either have to pay up, we leave it like that or you have to guarantee us subsidies for the life of the plant.
    Who the fuck cares for the costs if we can buy up politicians and gullible right-wingers (which have no other support, in fact, except from the rabid press). Renewables might be cheaper, less carbon intensive to build, but everyone can do them in the open, we would have no benefit from our links to the increasingly fascist governments we put in power.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Thanks again to @Falzo for his general awesomeness and encyclopedic knowledge. I can confirm everything he said.
    And yes, as he wrote, the easiest way to see your earliest possible cancellation date is to log onto your Robot account and check.
    If you ordered different products on different dates, you will likely have different cancellation date for each one.
    You will have access to the server until the cancellation date that you choose. And we will invoice you for that time.
    Check out our Hetzner Docs articles here about cancellations for Robot/konsoleH/Cloud Console. There's some good all-round information there. If you still any questions, please write a support request, and our team will be happy to help. --Katie

So I believe The earliest cancellation date is the date where you the server will be renewed and wont be charged after cancelling.

My earliest date was 20th iirc, but I set cancellation date to 31th, and i got charged with 10.1314EUR. I totally missed that it renews at 20th.

I should have been paying more attention lol.

• @Maounique said:

Well, since I am the one paying for it, it kind of is the point. The planet does not need electricity at all, the consumers need electricity. So if you are ever going to get somewhere with solar and wind, you better make it work when the consumers need it.

You can give it to the grid, we call that prosumering here from producing and consuming.

No, I can not. I've been looking into that for the past 10 years or so, but for some reason the grid where I have the house is not built to handle that.

Of course you would. No matter how much nuclear costs for KW, with 10 times the subventions renewables get, it would still be able to break even. The lobbyist come and say, look, we can make this for this amount of money, then it will cost double and say you either have to pay up, we leave it like that or you have to guarantee us subsidies for the life of the plant.
    Who the fuck cares for the costs if we can buy up politicians and gullible right-wingers (which have no other support, in fact, except from the rabid press). Renewables might be cheaper, less carbon intensive to build, but everyone can do them in the open, we would have no benefit from our links to the increasingly fascist governments we put in power.

I'm not going into politics, that is a completely different discussion and I know better than to start arguing with someone that tries to play the fascist card in his first statement. But it must be the first time I've heard Sweden called right-wing though, usually people call us communists or left-wing.

I'm looking at facts, and facts show me that there has been an over 300% price increase in electricity all over Europe since we started shutting down nuclear plants. The wind and solar contribute almost nothing even though Europe and Scandinavia especially is at the absolute forefront of it.
    People are selling houses they've lived in for 40 years because all of a sudden they cant afford the electricity bill, while others get up in the middle of the night to do laundry while the electricity costs less. I refuse to call that progress.

edited February 2022

@rcy026 said: The wind and solar contribute almost nothing even though Europe and Scandinavia especially is at the absolute forefront of it.

In 2020, renewable energy sources made up 37.5 % of gross electricity consumption in the EU, up from 34.1 % in 2019. About 15% wind and solar.

Nuclear plants generated around 24.6 % of the total electricity produced in the EU in 2020. In 2020, 13 EU countries had operational nuclear reactors: Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechia, Germany, Spain, France, Hungary, the Netherlands, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland and Sweden.

Installed capacities decreased by 2.6% since 1990.

Once again, the increase in price comes from fossils and nuclear which are getting more expensive all the time while renewables cheaper. The writing is on the wall.

It is the duty of everyone to refute all lobbyists lies. Without this the rabid extreme right will continue unchallenged, not only in vaccination or immigration, but also will screw up the economy too. Already doing it with Brexit and blocking immigration, the workforce is really lacking in all world. The power generation is the newest victim. Guess who will be blamed when the bankers will again wreck the economy and the lack of immigration and incessant wars they cause will fuel inflation.
    The americans have much less regulations against fossils and nuclear and their problems are much bigger than in EU. We don't have power cuts because lack of capacity. Not to mention China.
    it is absolutely clear for anyone which is not a nut where there truth lies.

• @rcy026 said:

@Maounique said:

Well, since I am the one paying for it, it kind of is the point. The planet does not need electricity at all, the consumers need electricity. So if you are ever going to get somewhere with solar and wind, you better make it work when the consumers need it.

No, I can not. I've been looking into that for the past 10 years or so, but for some reason the grid where I have the house is not built to handle that.

I'm not going into politics, that is a completely different discussion and I know better than to start arguing with someone that tries to play the fascist card in his first statement. But it must be the first time I've heard Sweden called right-wing though, usually people call us communists or left-wing.

I'm looking at facts, and facts show me that there has been an over 300% price increase in electricity all over Europe since we started shutting down nuclear plants. The wind and solar contribute almost nothing even though Europe and Scandinavia especially is at the absolute forefront of it.
    People are selling houses they've lived in for 40 years because all of a sudden they cant afford the electricity bill, while others get up in the middle of the night to do laundry while the electricity costs less. I refuse to call that progress.

@Maounique said:

@rcy026 said: The wind and solar contribute almost nothing even though Europe and Scandinavia especially is at the absolute forefront of it.

In 2020, renewable energy sources made up 37.5 % of gross electricity consumption in the EU, up from 34.1 % in 2019. About 15% wind and solar.

Nuclear plants generated around 24.6 % of the total electricity produced in the EU in 2020. In 2020, 13 EU countries had operational nuclear reactors: Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechia, Germany, Spain, France, Hungary, the Netherlands, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland and Sweden.

Installed capacities decreased by 2.6% since 1990.

Once again, the increase in price comes from fossils and nuclear which are getting more expensive all the time while renewables cheaper. The writing is on the wall.

It is the duty of everyone to refute all lobbyists lies. Without this the rabid extreme right will continue unchallenged, not only in vaccination or immigration, but also will screw up the economy too. Already doing it with Brexit and blocking immigration, the workforce is really lacking in all world. The power generation is the newest victim. Guess who will be blamed when the bankers will again wreck the economy and the lack of immigration and incessant wars they cause will fuel inflation.
    The americans have much less regulations against fossils and nuclear and their problems are much bigger than in EU. We don't have power cuts because lack of capacity. Not to mention China.

Guys, this thread is about the hetzner price increase. If you want to argue about how flat the earth is, go to 4chan.

Seriously, trying to sift through the off-topic nonsense in this thread to catch up on this price increase was really annoying.

Thanked by 1tommmy
  • @Maounique said:

I'll be sure to remember that when I pay my electricity bill that is 3 times what it was last year while my family is freezing in a dark house. But at least the small amount of electricity we can afford is from wind and solar, just keeping that in mind should keep them warm.

Some of us live in the reality and actually face the consequences every day. Believe me, we are very well aware of the truth.

@rcy026 said: Some of us live in the reality and actually face the consequences every day. Believe me, we are very well aware of the truth.

Nope, you don't and you are not even interested into looking at the reality. Your bills increased because the oil and gas are much more expensive while the nuclear capacities remained the same basically as in 1990, but are more and more expensive because we can't have safety for cheap, not because they have closed down.
    Your beloved fossil and nuclear generation is widely practiced in US and renewables (including hydro) there only account for 12.6% and still their grid shuts down when there is high demand and prices are also going higher: https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/natural-gas/011222-feature-energy-costs-to-test-biden-in-2022-after-inflation-hits-39-year-high-in-2021

Yep, energy prices are increasing because we didnt invest in time in renewables and now we depend on russia and other fossil fuel exporters.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Maounique said:
    [rants]

I live in Sweden, we basically have no fossil plants. Gas is nonexistent in Sweden, we simply do not use it and never have, so gas prices in Russia should have no effect on us.
    We subsidize solar and wind but tax nuclear to death, still, solar and wind is more expensive than nuclear and can not deliver what is needed.
    I assume you do not read Swedish, otherwise I could have sent you dozens of reports that all concludes that the 300% rise in electricity price the last year is due to shutting down nuclear plants and relying on renewables that do not deliver. It is in the media daily, and even the government admits that it has totally dropped the ball on this one.
    The green party will most likely not make it into government next election for the first time in 40 years, solely due to their total fuckup with the Swedish energy politics. People have simply had enough.
    You can have your "truth". I live in the reality, and your "truth" contradicts everything that is real here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

The only less expensive nuclear option (than wind and solar) is extension of life for existing nuclear plants. I agree that, keeping them running beyond what were they designed for would be cheaper than solar and wind BUT:
    The risks with older plants is much higher than new ones built on different safety standards;
    The antiquated technology produces more and more dangerous residual radioactive material;
    Fukushima was one of those older generation power plants.
    Your prices grew because all european prices grew. In France they grew also and they are not decommissioning nuclear power plants.
    When I say we didnt make the transition fast enough I mean EU as a whole. If your government will forbid power exports, then the prices will go down.
    Yes, Sweden has a huge proportion of power generation from renewables, this is the good work of the green party, but other EU countries didn't have the Greens in power and it shows. If they did, we would have had no problems with the Russians now.

Of course the press would spread lies, for a poor journalist with low circulation, 100k from a lobbyist (fossil/nuclear/russian) is more than he would make in 10 years reporting the truth.

Thanked by 1RapToN
  • It's disturbing to watch the gas price soaring.

• belabela Member

Unfortunately, electricity prices went up in Hungary as well. Some DCs see a 3X price increase..Some only 50%. We are also trying to keep prices low for our customers, but its becoming increasingly hard. I think our electricity prices are still slightly cheaper then Germany...