Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction

Comments

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2022

Exactly, nuclear does not take space comparing to others, and is actually green. Though takes time to build. Another good thing that nuclear waste is small, and its storage increased big time. I think i saw a stat that so far usa produced only like 2-3 football fields of nuclear waste in its history.
    In europe everyone is scared of chernobyl and still living in that sentiment. Norway is 99% hydro, and if it does not rain, prices skyrocket. Should build one or two nuclears to diversify, however, when chernobyl hit, the winds first blew cloud thru baltics and into scandinavia, so fear is there. Though in norway, govt started subsidize price, they pay 50% of electricity bill for you. it will cost norways govt 560 mil usd thru december-march, but hey, whats half a billion amongst friends when we got 1.5 trillion usd fund :D

• @xaoc said:

@dragonfsky said:
    Fuck the greens,there is no cleaner energy than nuclear.

What happens with the waste water from nuclear plants? ;)

Waste water?
    The water in a nuclear plant is used for cooling and is distilled and cleaned to a ridiculous degree, you will not find cleaner water anywhere on earth, I promise you.
    The only reason you can not swim in or drink the water surrounding the reactor core is that you would contaminate the water and it would cost a shitload of money to clean it again.

• Not had any mail yet about the server I have with them, which IIRC is in Germany, though that is more expensive to start with than the sub-€32 units others have been talking about.

Not that it matters, I'm shutting it down when I finally get around to moving everything off it onto other recently arranged resource. Though given that energy prices everywhere in Europe have seen significant increases, I do wonder if I'll see this happen to other services I use (OVH/Kimsufi in UK & France for instance).

• @rcy026 said:

@xaoc said:

@dragonfsky said:

Waste water?
    The water in a nuclear plant is used for cooling and is distilled and cleaned to a ridiculous degree, you will not find cleaner water anywhere on earth, I promise you.
    The only reason you can not swim in or drink the water surrounding the reactor core is that you would contaminate the water and it would cost a shitload of money to clean it again.

The best laugh i had today, thank you.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2022

The Great IP Purge of Hetzner

and now

The Great Energy Purge of Hetzner

Hetzner has fallen, sad.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @xaoc said:

@rcy026 said:

@xaoc said:

@dragonfsky said:

Waste water?

The best laugh i had today, thank you.

Well, I think that just shows how clueless you are, so the joke is on you.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

On that note - does anyone know of https://www.energylive.cloud/ alternatives. They seem to have locked it, with no option to subscribe.

• @dragonfsky said:

what about Chernobyl and Fukushima?

• Are they going to do this with the non-auction servers too in a few months from now? @Hetzner_OL

• trungkientrungkien Member
    edited January 2022

Well, changing price of current servers seems a red flag to me. Definitly not buying new servers from hetzner.

• @cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:

what about Chernobyl and Fukushima?

Not sure about Chernobyl but another Fukushima could occur @ any time. I'd rather not play with fire if there are alternatives and nuclear is the worst fire there is.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I love the reactions whenever there is any sort of price increase.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:

what about Chernobyl

Communism plus a idiot drove a reactor to its limits and it blew up.
    Including removing ALL control roads at once, dumbass.

and Fukushima

Capitalism, even possible in Japan.
    Who puts the fucking genset in basement, when you expect floods? dumbass

• @Neoon said:

@cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:

what about Chernobyl

Not to mention a badly designed reactor, a design that has never been used anywhere else since and that a lot of people tried to convince the russians not to use.
    Chernobyl used RBMK reactors. If a RBMK loses cooling, the chain reaction runs uncontrollably.
    The rest of the world uses LWR type reactors, where the coolant is used as moderator of the chain reaction. Lose the coolant, and the chain reaction stops.

It does not require a genius to figure out which kind of reactor to use, but as you said...communism. :disappointed:

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

First they sent email about cpanel pricing increase. Then they sent email about IPs and subnet pricing increase. Now they sent email about auction servers pricing increase. What's next?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Now I’m really happy that I moved out from Hetzner (leaving one VM there) to SYS.

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • @Hetzner_OL please don't kid yourself.

the price increases have just levelled out on the auction benefits. so people who had the same server on different pricing because of their luck or patience with the auctions are now paying the same price.

even if this ever drops back by 2 or 3 euro (which I actually doubt) you'll never get even close to what made it an 'auction server'. sorry to say, a linear but smaller increase across all old auction servers would have been much more fair I think. but maybe that's just me.

oberall feels like the oldest servers are often the cheapest and now get the biggest hit. therefore you probably just sh*t on the doorstep of your oldest clients. - "Das ist nicht klug."

again, together with the IP setup fee, this is very annoying, even for your biggest fanboys

• @Falzo said:

@xaoc said:

@dragonfsky said:

nature will take care of it. one way or another.

I really should get Tropico 6 (only got 5). One way or another, it will be fun :D

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Recently Hetzner increases the price of IPv4, Then cPanel, and now again Hetzner.

😡😡

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@momkin said:

@kennsann said:
    Got one of this price increase too. Im assuming this only affects servers in Germany?

No , its also on Finland location !

Yet long term contracts have yet to see any change in pricing in Finland ... they made really bad contract if their prices have increased in reality ALREADY. Ours actually got lower in the past 6months, go and figure.

@MannDude said: We're wanting to ditch Hetzner in Finland anyway, but haven't found an alternative yet that is suitable. Any suggestions where we can rent, colo, and bring our own IP space?

We can get your needs taken care of. Better peering (or so i am told) than hetzner anyways and still in Finland :)

@Neoon said: The Great IP Purge of Hetzner

I missed this, but someone mentioned some 1.70€ charge? We have one dedi regular pricing with them and have not had such change.

@Neoon said:

@cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:

what about Chernobyl

and Fukushima

Capitalism, even possible in Japan.
    Who puts the fucking genset in basement, when you expect floods? dumbass

Communism certainly played a big part in Chernobyl. But capitalism being the issue at Fukushima? Yeah, i don't think so. Building underground costs more than above ground. Just stupid choices were made. Just like Chernobyl was bad design, with morons operating it. Well, communism might've played a part on that, or not. I hate communism, but i would not put chernobyl solely on communism. A lot of people, had to make a lot of stupid decisions. Communism may have accelerated that, or it may have not.

On other nuclear news, here in Finland Olkiluoti 3 reactor was just started this winter, and production capacity is being slowly increased. One of the world's most expensive buildings, as when the project began the tech did not actually exist yet lol

Thanked by 1ooowwww
  • First Serverius,
    Now Hetzner

The end is nigh.

• afnafn Member

Fuck Hetzner, no seriously fuck every person who takes decisions at Hetzner (and a couple of incompetent support guys who pissed me off in 2017 and 2019), (and this is probably the first time I use the F-word in the forum, I usually don't). They lost every bit of respect I had for them. Not because they are increasing the prices, I am fine with that, it's because of the shitty non-transparent way they are doing it.

• Electricity prices increase in Germany.
    • They raise prices for some Servers in Finland still.
    • They only raised prices for auction, tho the change should affect everything, they are obviously killing old hardware in an indirect way " This change may mean that you want to consider other server options with us" * wink *. No fuck you, nothing else with you.
    • Auction servers bought not so long ago, did not increase, only the oldest servers we had.
    • The formula for price increase and how it scales is not explained in a transparent way.
    • " We will increase the prices as little as necessary" No, The changed amount is not really the direct change of cost only (according the numbers I read online, but feel free to correct me) , there is an extra margin, so "it's not as little as necessary".

Not to mention the IP price change last few months! They way they distributed the extra charges is very unbalanced and in some cases, unjustified. Some servers increased in my case by 13€. If you increase a 29€ server to 42€, then don't expect me not to be disappointed, that's a ~50% increase. Not to mention that electricity cost was not the entire 29€, but it is less, like 15-20€ so I have been probably charged as if electricity has risen up more than 70% for that server.

I am fine receiving a mail from my provider telling me I'm a dick and I want to multiply prices by 2 for no reason. But I am not fine being lied to and try to disguise things under "as little as necessary" and "should prices go down, we will re-adjust our prices."

The last sentence shows only the lack of experience of the Hetzner representative about the true nature of Hetzner's business model, just because the higher-ups told you it will happen, does not mean it will actually really happen.

Once you get me pissed off, it's over. I will probably end up cancelling other servers even the one who didn't undergo a price change. I will probably replace them with sth more expensive from some other provider, but just for the sake of not letting them getting a penny from me.

tl;dr : they just regretted and killed the "bankrupt" deals they had in auctions. That's all. Like "oh shit, we sold these servers for too low, let's fix this and blame it on electricity"

@Falzo pretty much said what I wanted to say but in a more polite, less agressive way, ( probably he has too much love in his heart for German providers so he can't speak that bad about them even if he wanted to)

• a 6700 auction i have increased from 25 to 27.

• @afn said: They only raised prices for auction, tho the change should affect everything

Not equally. Older kit requires more power, power is the cost that is changing for them. And the other servers possibly have more margin in them to start with so can soak up the difference without becoming loss-makers.

they are obviously killing old hardware in an indirect way

Undoubtedly, given some even older machines seem to have dropped off the list altogether. Older kit requires more support expense (hands-on to replace drives etc.) too even if officially unmanaged, though if there is some of the charge change for that it does fall into your accusation of lack of transparency. Not that they have any obligation to explain every charge to us, but transparency would be nice.

@afn said: This change may mean that you want to consider other server options with us" * wink *. No fuck you, nothing else with you.

I see your irritation, though if you refuse to use anything but services that they end up running at a loss or at break-even, your departure is not going to worry them overly.

"should prices go down, we will re-adjust our prices."

Given how companies usually behave, I share your unwillingness to give the benefit of any doubt there. Time will tell. Or not, if power prices stay high.

I will probably end up cancelling other servers even the one who didn't undergo a price change.

Would the profit from that be significant against the others if they are running at a loss? Maybe, maybe not, only they really know. Maybe you will be a small loss to them but over the whole population the over-all effect is a gain (or, looking at it the other way, a reduction in loss).

• @Diamondz said:
    First Serverius,
    Now Hetzner

The end is nigh.

What was with Serverius?

• The price of electricity is up everywhere in Europe, not only in Germany, due to some idiotic political decisions by the green left and the fact that the electricity market in Europe is one big clusterfuck of bad ideas.
    I live in Sweden and my electricity bill has gone up 400% in just a couple of months. Not a big problem for me since I do not consume a lot of electricity, but there are people selling their houses right now because they can not afford to heat them.

Hetzners price increase does not surprise me, they probably have extremely thin margins on their lowend servers and an increase in electricity price could probably turn a small profit into a loss on every server powered on.
    The increase on old servers are of course due to the fact that they consume a lot more power, but they still cant charge the same price as for a newer server. It costs more and generate less. Lots of loss.
    It would probably be beneficial to simply scrap the old hardware and replace it with new. Less power consumed, less heat generated, less power needed for cooling, and the possibility to charge a higher price. Lots of wins.

Thanked by 2FrankZ Hetzner_OL
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@afn said:
    Fuck Hetzner, no seriously fuck every person who takes decisions at Hetzner (and a couple of incompetent support guys who pissed me off in 2017 and 2019), (and this is probably the first time I use the F-word in the forum, I usually don't). They lost every bit of respect I had for them. Not because they are increasing the prices, I am fine with that, it's because of the shitty non-transparent way they are doing it.

Well, I need to agree with that. Hetzner is just weird from couple of months, they don't communicate clearly.
    Personally I was banned from their referral program which I had link to in my signature here. I advertised it also on my FB groups, got many people to sign up and after I had nice amount of money there... they straight up banned me. I asked why and they replied
    "Hetzner Online GmbH reserves the right to change, cancel or terminate the Referral Program at any
    time and without prior notice or warning."
    Nice. You got us some clients, fuck off, we wont pay you cent for them and we wont explain to you why we banned you, because we reserve such right. Even through you was our client for 3 years and spend money.
    Nice communication. Nice strategy.

• pkrpkr Member

Blame the GreenPISS people. Leaders in every democratic country are bending to them without any planning.

• To save the earth, we must sacrifice for the greater good.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited January 2022

@xaoc said: I'd rather not play with fire if there are alternatives and nuclear is the worst fire there is.

Quite the opposite actually. Even taking the two major disasters into account, nuclear is by far the safest energy source we have, in terms of death/injuries per unit of energy produced.

Here's a good overview:

Thanked by 1bulbasaur