Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction

Comments

• @MannDude said: Any suggestions where we can rent, colo, and bring our own IP space?

Creanova

• DanSummerDanSummer Member
    edited January 2022

@Ympker said: Fwiw, our electricity and gas provider also went bankrupt like two weeks ago. Now that we are making the switch to green energy that everyone seems to have wanted, people may realize that green energy may be for one, more expensive and definitely not sufficiently available right now.

Honestly, it has nothing to do with green energy and everything to do with oil and natural gas price. Cost of oil and gas has been hitting one record after another in the last 5-6 months.

The price of natural gas went from 19€ per megawatt in December 2020 to around 130€ in December 2021 (it's around 110€ now).

bottom line, a $2-$4 increase per server is still a good deal.

• @Ympker said:
    Taken from Forbes and dirty translation from DeepL regarding the increasing cost for electricity:

There have already been the first insolvencies and electricity providers who can no longer supply their existing customers. Our analysis of the best green power providers in January 2022 also showed: Many of the recommended providers are currently no longer accepting new customers.

Even the four large basic suppliers EnBW, Eon, RWE and Vattenfall are apparently under pressure. According to the comparison portal Check24, there have been numerous price increases averaging 65.1%. 4.3 million households were affected. In addition, there are now their own new customer tariffs, where the kilowatt hour (kWh) of electricity costs more than twice as much as for existing customers.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/de/strom/strompreis/

Fwiw, our electricity and gas provider also went bankrupt like two weeks ago.
    Now that we are making the switch to green energy that everyone seems to have wanted, people may realize that green energy may be for one, more expensive and definitely not sufficiently available right now. Then again, we are depending on other countries for our electricity, anyway. Not saying, I love nuclear power plants, but I have read an article where apparently some European countries have declared nuclear power plants "green energy" and now we are buying it for a lot of money from them rather than producing our own.

Anyway, just saying that the price increase is probably justified :)

I was led to believe the Germans were at the top of the Nuclear Power Plant game. Did The Simpsons mislead me 30 years ago?

• Are the energy prices the result of crypto shit?

• afnafn Member
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said: Are the energy prices the result of crypto shit?

Covid (mostly) affected energy production. (+ recovery from global economical crisis due to covid)
    less production, less working hours -> oil and other ressources becoming more expensive

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @DanSummer said:

@Ympker said: Fwiw, our electricity and gas provider also went bankrupt like two weeks ago. Now that we are making the switch to green energy that everyone seems to have wanted, people may realize that green energy may be for one, more expensive and definitely not sufficiently available right now.

Honestly, it has nothing to do with green energy and everything to do with oil and natural gas price. Cost of oil and gas has been hitting one record after another in the last 5-6 months.

The price of natural gas went from 19€ per megawatt in December 2020 to around 130€ in December 2021 (it's around 110€ now).

That price jump in natural gas just looks crazy. Damn..

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DanSummer said: bottom line, a $2-$4 increase per server is still a good deal.

So is that the average on this? or is there people that got hit hard?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@DanSummer said: bottom line, a $2-$4 increase per server is still a good deal.

So is that the average on this? or is there people that got hit hard?

Francisco

Some people got like 9€ increase.

@DanSummer said: Some people got like 9€ increase.

On what kind of base price? Someone said 40% increase, so like a $25/m server if Hetzner goes that low?

Francisco

• tommmytommmy Member
    edited January 2022

@DanSummer said:

I got my i7-4770 32GB 2x2TB for 23€. The new price gonna be €29. That is €6 increase.

Also I don't understand the logic that I need to pay my 4x2TB server for 34€ while in auction the lowest price is €33 and will probably drop to €32 in 56hrs.

At least give us, who got those servers for lower price in ACTION, a reasonable price. Those few euros are not much, but I actually can eat a plate of food with €1 in the place where I'm living in.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: On what kind of base price? Someone said 40% increase, so like a $25/m server if Hetzner goes that low?

My two that are affected:

€17.63 will become €28
    €20.15 will become €31

• @tommmy said:

@DanSummer said:

I got my i7-4770 32GB 2x2TB for 23€. The new price gonna be €29. That is €6 increase.

Also I don't understand the logic that I need to pay my 4x2TB server for 34€ while in auction the lowest price is €33 and will probably frop to €32 in 56hrs.

At least give us, who got those servers for lower price in ACTION, a reasonable price. Those few euros are not much, but I actually can eat a plate of food with €1 in my country lmao.

Well, I can also get a €1 plate of food here in Ukraine depending on what you're eating. :smile:

To your point, €6 could seem a lot until you start looking for other options. You could as well pick the one in auction that's cheaper.

Thanked by 1tommmy

@Mr_Tom said: €17.63 will become €28

€20.15 will become €31

Girthy.

Is it a deal breaker for you or are the nodes still worth it?

Francisco

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: Is it a deal breaker for you or are the nodes still worth it?

The €17 box was just a hobby/personal thing that can be replaced easily enough with something cheaper anyway - and it's an old i7, non-ECC RAM and consumer disks.

The other one, not decided yet but I had considered dropping it previously. None of the other servers were listed as being affected by price so all good there.

• It still looks pretty affordable, TBH.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • 34,51 Euro 23,98 Euro
    wow, just 10,50€ / 44% more
    theres my cheap 26€ server gone.
    thought about upgrading anyway - but well - auction servers are about the same as normal ones now. will think about it until the new ubuntu lts arrives, before switching and setting everything up again.

• @darkimmortal said:
    KS-LE is looking to be more and more of a good deal. The CEO's latest tweets suggest there are no energy-related price increases planned at OVH, which is insane as KS-LE (at full load) has got to be nearly a net loss after energy cost.

I very much doubt this. Unless they are going to absorb the costs but they are already priced low.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Going green has actually nothing to do with this. It is the price of OIL and GAS which rose, not the wind or solar. The problem is we did not switch sooner and Russia kept blackmailing Germany and now they will kill us with the weapons made with our money, simply because we were lazy and kept subsidizing fossil fuel.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said: I was led to believe the Germans were at the top of the Nuclear Power Plant game 30 years ago?

you nailed it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • bkjbkj Member

Nocix is the last cheap hosting savior, if that's gone, that's it man. IDK what to say anymore

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@DanSummer said: Some people got like 9€ increase.

On what kind of base price? Someone said 40% increase, so like a $25/m server if Hetzner goes that low?

Francisco

there I think is a surcharge for electricity and now all servers must pay for the one IP they have (1,70Eur I think)

• afnafn Member

@skorupion said: there I think is a surcharge for electricity and now all servers must pay for the one IP they have (1,70Eur I think)

In fairness to them, they did that in a fairly neat way. They did not add that 1.70 as an extra but rather as a discount if you cancel the IPv4 included already. New servers are being sold cheaper than before if ordered without an IPv4

• If the russian bear goes wild, the price will be even higher.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Maounique said:
    Going green has actually nothing to do with this. It is the price of OIL and GAS which rose, not the wind or solar. The problem is we did not switch sooner and Russia kept blackmailing Germany and now they will kill us with the weapons made with our money, simply because we were lazy and kept subsidizing fossil fuel.

Actually, the rise in prices is very much due to the switch to green energy, at least in Scandinavia.
    For the last decade or so the green parties have been given a lot of influence here, not because people vote for them but because of some political games that I do not intend to explain here. Anyway, the result is that nuclear is shutting down and is replaced by wind and solar. The problem is that Scandinavia is cold at night and it's not always windy, so the electricity prices skyrocketed and we have to import "dirty" electricity from Russia. It's very strange, Scandinavia that is cold as hell in winter and hardly sees daylight for 6 months, and solar does not work? Who could have guessed that?
    Sweden is actually starting up old oil and coal based powerplants for the first time in decades, just to be able to keep up with power demands. So instead of going "green", we are now burning oil and coal again like we did 40 years ago.

The situation is very similar all over Europe, nuclear is out and all of a sudden everybody realizes that wind and solar is not enough and does not generate electricity when needed, so Russia that doesn't give a rats ass about the environment is basically charging whatever they want for their oil and gas, hence the rise in prices.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur dragonfsky
  • What if Russia and US has war?

• @cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:
    Fuck the greens,there is no cleaner energy than nuclear.

what about Chernobyl and Fukushima?

Why sharing some fake news? There were no deaths related to the Fukushima incident.

• @Tejy said:

@cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:

Why sharing some fake news? There were no deaths related to the Fukushima incident.

Wikipedia was launched on January 15, 2001,

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited January 2022

@rcy026 said:

@Maounique said:

Actually, the rise in prices is very much due to the switch to green energy, at least in Scandinavia.
    For the last decade or so the green parties have been given a lot of influence here, not because people vote for them but because of some political games that I do not intend to explain here. Anyway, the result is that nuclear is shutting down and is replaced by wind and solar. The problem is that Scandinavia is cold at night and it's not always windy, so the electricity prices skyrocketed and we have to import "dirty" electricity from Russia. It's very strange, Scandinavia that is cold as hell in winter and hardly sees daylight for 6 months, and solar does not work? Who could have guessed that?
    Sweden is actually starting up old oil and coal based powerplants for the first time in decades, just to be able to keep up with power demands. So instead of going "green", we are now burning oil and coal again like we did 40 years ago.

The situation is very similar all over Europe, nuclear is out and all of a sudden everybody realizes that wind and solar is not enough and does not generate electricity when needed, so Russia that doesn't give a rats ass about the environment is basically charging whatever they want for their oil and gas, hence the rise in prices.

Going south in europe it is the other way around. There the nuclear power plants shut down because it is warm and the rivers get to warm or have not enough water to cool them. And because the influence of the brown and black party is big the energy is still not 100% green, now the prices for that brown and black energy skyrockets.
    So no thanks to nuclear, gas and oil, they are to flacky and expensive compared to green energy with energy storage.

Thanked by 2webcraft pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited January 2022

@Mr_Tom said: €17.63 will become €28
    €20.15 will become €31

That's a huge increase, seems way to much to be only due to the increase of power pricing.

• @cybertech said:

@Tejy said:

@cybertech said:

@dragonfsky said:

Wikipedia was launched on January 15, 2001,

Our World In Data was launched in May 2014.
    https://ourworldindata.org/what-was-the-death-toll-from-chernobyl-and-fukushima#deaths-from-fukushima

There were no direct deaths related to the Fukushima incident.