Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner price increase for servers from the Server Auction

JorboxJorbox Member
edited January 2022 in General

Just received this email from Hetzner.

Do you think all businesses can handle this price change ?

Dear Mr Name
As a client with one of our servers from the Server Auction, you benefit from our low prices and excellent performance. Our goal is to always provide you with the best possible products at affordable prices.

Unfortunately, energy prices in Germany have been increasing dramatically, and electricity plays a big role in the operating costs for servers. We have always calculated the prices for the Server Auction to be as low as possible. The current prices for many Server Auction servers do not cover the increasing operating costs.

Unfortunately, we are forced to increase the prices on these Server Auction models so we can cover their increased operating costs. We will increase the prices as little as necessary.

The monthly prices will change for the following servers you use:

Server name new price old price Starting on
servername 29.00 Euro 26.87 Euro 2022-03-01
servername 29.00 Euro 26.03 Euro 2022-03-01
servername 31.00 Euro 26.03 Euro 2022-03-01

(monthly price, excl. VAT)
If you are unhappy with the new prices, and therefore would like to end your contract with us, you can do so within the regular cancellation deadline. You can do this in a few quick clicks on your Robot account. If you take no action, your contract will continue as usual, but with the new prices for the above products.

We hope that we have clearly explained why we needed to make this difficult decision. We thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

This change may mean that you want to consider other server options with us. Please check out our website at https://www.hetzner.com. There may be some limited-time sales that catch your eye. Or you may be interested in saving costs by switching to our cloud servers: https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to help. Please write a support request using your Robot account; just log on and click on "Support" in the menu.

Kind regards

Hetzner Online

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

yes, the electricity costs are going thru the fucking roof, and I ain't even exaggerating

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

They need to close even more power plants in Germany, this is VERY HARMFUL.

I have 300 servers for 10-15-20 euros they raised.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2022

Taken from Forbes and dirty translation from DeepL regarding the increasing cost for electricity:

There have already been the first insolvencies and electricity providers who can no longer supply their existing customers. Our analysis of the best green power providers in January 2022 also showed: Many of the recommended providers are currently no longer accepting new customers.

Even the four large basic suppliers EnBW, Eon, RWE and Vattenfall are apparently under pressure. According to the comparison portal Check24, there have been numerous price increases averaging 65.1%. 4.3 million households were affected. In addition, there are now their own new customer tariffs, where the kilowatt hour (kWh) of electricity costs more than twice as much as for existing customers.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/de/strom/strompreis/

Fwiw, our electricity and gas provider also went bankrupt like two weeks ago.
    Now that we are making the switch to green energy that everyone seems to have wanted, people may realize that green energy may be for one, more expensive and definitely not sufficiently available right now. Then again, we are depending on other countries for our electricity, anyway. Not saying, I love nuclear power plants, but I have read an article where apparently some European countries have declared nuclear power plants "green energy" and now we are buying it for a lot of money from them rather than producing our own.

Anyway, just saying that the price increase is probably justified :)

Thanked by 2Jorbox bulbasaur
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited January 2022

They will ride this horse until it is beyond dead. After energy prices will be stable again, will they drop the prices? Yep, you know the answer. AWS, Gcloud and Azure still holding to mount "energy price increase" horse. Wondering why...

• WTF

• tommmytommmy Member
    edited January 2022

My i7-4770 32GB 2x2TBserver is 23EUR and will be increased to 29EUR. Currently the price of 4x2TB is around 33EUR. A good time to upgrade I guess.

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

They've been increasing prices before the energy crisis so I expected it would eventually go up, prices still reasonable in the grand scheme if compared to other providers with similar specs - albeit by not these servers probably have some decent wear.

• Can someone refresh my memory? I haven't been cancelling any Hetzner server for a while. IIRC we have to cancel before certain date to avoid any further charge.

If I set the date to Jan 31, will I be charged?

• should get Greenpeace ppl to pay for the raise...this is what happens when political leaders bow to the pressure of "going clean" without adequately considering if the countries are ready for that or not.

• Even with this rise, still one of the best priced servers around if not the best.

• new price  old price  Starting on
    29.00 Euro 18.47 Euro 2022-03-12

Well.

• new price old price
    32.00 Euro 26.03 Euro

:'(

• KS-LE is looking to be more and more of a good deal. The CEO's latest tweets suggest there are no energy-related price increases planned at OVH, which is insane as KS-LE (at full load) has got to be nearly a net loss after energy cost.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

The increased price for the server in the email doesn't include the IPv4 add-on it seems. So whatever the new price is, add on 1.70.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Surprised? No.
    Happened what's actually should happen with all EU providers.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

30.00 Euro - 18.47 Euro
    100-100*18.47/30.00 ~ 39%

For example, they introduced new prices there for new purchases at the auction, this is one thing. It's constantly going up and down. But to edit the current prices of servers already bought a long time ago is wrong somehow. It turns out that servers are not getting cheaper in operation, but getting more expensive.

Hetzner goes the Scaleway way. Today they raised the price of the old SB, and tomorrow they will raise the price of AX, EX, PX, SX and so on. But data centers after the increase, even if the situation stabilizes, never lower prices.

It's funny to watch the green epic, in the CIS countries this will definitely never happen.

• DursDurs Member
    edited January 2022

you can change check industrie compare elektric prices eu. Germany is really on the top. Privat 0.3 E/kwh. Industrie about ~0.18-0.22 €/kwh.

I am german this prices are not competetive. In germany 60-80% are tax, thats crazzy.

I dont blame Hetzner, i dont have rent one server in german because i know that. This will be even worser in the next years. You need thinking how much Hetzner earn with they low prices and the high electric cost. They are really already focusing on the amount to reduce the cost.

• Got one of this price increase too. Im assuming this only affects servers in Germany?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @kennsann said:
    Got one of this price increase too. Im assuming this only affects servers in Germany?

No , its also on Finland location !

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@momkin said: No , its also on Finland location !

Only my DE ones are listed in the email as having price changes

• @momkin said:

@kennsann said:
    Got one of this price increase too. Im assuming this only affects servers in Germany?

Sad, guess the end is nigh for non-auction servers everywhere with hetzner in the near future.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@momkin said:

@kennsann said:

Haven't gotten a notice about a price increase. I'm certain one or more of our servers was from an auction.

We're wanting to ditch Hetzner in Finland anyway, but haven't found an alternative yet that is suitable. Any suggestions where we can rent, colo, and bring our own IP space?

• Fuck the greens,there is no cleaner energy than nuclear.

• @MannDude said: Haven't gotten a notice about a price increase. I'm certain one or more of our servers was from an auction.

you can check by their naming. everything starting with SB instead of EX/AX/... is from their auctions. however it seems not all auction server are affected by this. for now.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • old price: 20.15
    new price: 29

(no IPv4/no VAT) that's a 44% raise. not so appreciated. switching to another product? oh wait... I have some addon IPs with that too - migrating means ordering new ones and pay larger setup fees? definitely not cool.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @dragonfsky said:
    Fuck the greens,there is no cleaner energy than nuclear.

What happens with the waste water from nuclear plants? ;)

• @xaoc said:

@dragonfsky said:

nature will take care of it. one way or another.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@MannDude said:

We're wanting to ditch Hetzner in Finland anyway, but haven't found an alternative yet that is suitable. Any suggestions where we can rent, colo, and bring our own IP space?

Almost with all providers, which owns data centers. But prices are going up everywhere.

• @Falzo said:

@xaoc said:

@dragonfsky said:

nature will take care of it. one way or another.

Who's this nature?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said: There have already been the first insolvencies and electricity providers who can no longer supply their existing customers. Our analysis of the best green power providers in January 2022 also showed: Many of the recommended providers are currently no longer accepting new customers.

This has been going on in Finland as well. Several companies i hear.
    Spot pricing was peaking over 0.50€ per kWh in Nov/Dec.

Thanked by 1Ympker