Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2021 - NVMe and Storage deals - Deploy in 16 global locations (APAC/EU/US) - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2021 - NVMe and Storage deals - Deploy in 16 global locations (APAC/EU/US)

Comments

• MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Thanked by 1nyamenk
  • I am wondering about the use case of 2TB server. Ideally, I want to run nextcloud but I am afraid the server wont be powerful enough for e2e encryption. I recently checked out seafile, and it too isn't light weight. The only use case I think of is mounting these on another instance and then use it with rclone crypt/nextcloud encryption. Or Is there a solution to use it standalone? Will it help if I encrypt disk before hand?

• @xetsys said:
    I am wondering about the use case of 2TB server. Ideally, I want to run nextcloud but I am afraid the server wont be powerful enough for e2e encryption. I recently checked out seafile, and it too isn't light weight. The only use case I think of is mounting these on another instance and then use it with rclone crypt/nextcloud encryption. Or Is there a solution to use it standalone? Will it help if I encrypt disk before hand?

rclone sftp + crypt, no need to configure anything on your server.

Thanked by 2ariq01 xetsys
  • @xetsys said:
    I am wondering about the use case of 2TB server. Ideally, I want to run nextcloud but I am afraid the server wont be powerful enough for e2e encryption. I recently checked out seafile, and it too isn't light weight. The only use case I think of is mounting these on another instance and then use it with rclone crypt/nextcloud encryption. Or Is there a solution to use it standalone? Will it help if I encrypt disk before hand?

As mentioned in the first post, storage servers should be used for storing data, so the use case you described should be the way to go (mount it to a more powerful instance).

Thanked by 2xetsys dosai
  • the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited November 2021

@xetsys said:

I use Seafile (Community Edition) on mine for private use, works just fine.

• There's a lot of things that can be done if you can manage the relatively low RAM. As long as there isn't too many concurrent users an optimized nginx+php-fpm setup will probably work wonders for owncloud/nextcloud.

• I saw that Hosthatch used to accept Bitcoin for payment, is this still the case? It doesn't look like an option on the invoice payment panel.

• @Emil said:

@gowrann said:
    Are email notifications broken in new panel?

What kind of notifications are you referring to?

Same issue here, have not received any e-mails regarding order confirmation, new invoice or invoice payment. I have already opened a ticket about this.

• @harningt said: I saw that Hosthatch used to accept Bitcoin for payment, is this still the case? It doesn't look like an option on the invoice payment panel.

It's only available in manage.hosthatch.com

Thanked by 1harningt
  • xetsysxetsys Member
    edited November 2021

@the_doctor said:

@xetsys said:

I use Seafile (Community Edition) on mine for private use, works just fine.

Otherwise you can mount on an NVME instance with, for example, sshfs... But I never got that to work so well.

That's interesting. Based on recommendations here, when I tried setting up seafile, it was very taxing on resources. Perhaps I need to do more research on it's optimization, or to use it without docker.

On the other hand, I used swizzin for my nextcloud setup, which felt pretty slick. The script set it up automagically and the idle usage was 0.01 or very low. It was e2e encrypted and cpu usage would hover between 0.1 to 0.3 when I limited concurrent uploads to it. So it would have worked. But then I checked the web client to see my files, cpu instantly shot above 2.0-4.0 due to php processes. My guess is all the files were being simultaneously decrypted and thats why php took a toll on server resources. The VPS in my test case had a single CPU E5-2660.

However, if I use nextcloud without e2e encryption, cpu stays within limits. But then I have to use cryptomator with webdav setup, which doesn't support thumbnails and thus feels inferior to nextcloud photo management.

I will check these setups again on the 2TB server to know what sticks. Hopefully, if the cpu is better/modern and supports hardware encryption, it would address my woes.

Thanked by 1MrWonder
  • 1nf1nf Member
    edited November 2021

Which locations have 40Gbps again?

• @xetsys said:
    That's interesting. Based on recommendations here, when I tried setting up seafile, it was very taxing on resources. Perhaps I need to do more research on it's optimization, or to use it without docker.

I had the same problem when I tried the free version of Seafile Professional Edition. Community Edition uses less resources, though I didn't try running it in a container.

On the other hand, I used swizzin for my nextcloud setup, which felt pretty slick. The script set it up automagically and the idle usage was 0.01 or very low. It was e2e encrypted and cpu usage would hover between 0.1 to 0.3 when I limited concurrent uploads to it. So it would have worked. But then I checked the web client to see my files, cpu instantly shot above 2.0-4.0 due to php processes. My guess is all the files were being simultaneously decrypted and thats why php took a toll on server resources.

Nextcloud is good, but from my understanding is lacking in syncronization tools, which is why I went with Seafile. I'll check out swizzin, never heard of it before.

Thanked by 1xetsys
  • @xetsys said:

A common approach is to get an NVMe VPS too, and mount the storage over NFS or iSCSI. Seafile runs great on the compute VPSes.

• pbxpbx Member
    edited November 2021

If what you wanna do is sync files, scyncthing is not too resource-hungry and will happily run in such a VPS. But again a correctly tuned nginx+php-fpm setup can serve nextcloud/owncloud just fine.

• @Emil said:

@gowrann said:
    Are email notifications broken in new panel?

What kind of notifications are you referring to?

@host4cheap said:

@cybertech said:
    1TB above storage is gone! madness

Existing customer, clicked place order and "an error occured" :-(

If only @Emil or @hosthatch can help me

Probably ran out of stock just before you were able to place the order. Check back again at 18.00 CET :smile:

LET'S GO!!

• @Emil @hosthatch any chance for more space on the following plan? SSD would work.
    2 CPU core (50% dedicated, burstable up to 200%) 8 GB RAM 40 GB RAID-10 NVMe 5 TB bandwidth $60 per 2 years

• Restocks are now available again!

https://cloud.hosthatch.com/sale/cherry-jam

• Am so disappointed, I just renewed the Chicago 1TB plan / 37$ yesterday. @emil @hosthatch has anything can be done to replace with Swedan 2TB for 40$ ?

• @kalimov622 said: any chance for more space on the following plan

Afaik they are not customizable but you can order 2 and have them become one bigger VM.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

These will be available for an hour as promised.

• @pullangcubo said:
    Restocks are now available again!

APAC OOS

• @pbx said: Afaik they are not customizable but you can order 2 and have them become one bigger VM.

Yes, I'm aware they can be stacked together but in this case I would only need the extra space and not the RAM

• @hosthatch Shine some light 🥺

@Deepak_leb said:
    Am so disappointed, I just renewed the Chicago 1TB plan / 37$ yesterday. @emil @hosthatch has anything can be done to replace with Swedan 2TB for 40$ ?

Sorry we cannot do that.

• @hosthatch Can I change my existing Chicago to Sweden.

edited November 2021

Unpaid orders will be canceled after 20 minutes. This is the last flash sale we will do this time around.

These deals will be available till 19:30 CET (or earlier if we sell all stock)

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited November 2021

Del

• @hosthatch
    What ist the difference between NVMe Intel E5 #1 and Black Friday 2021 — Compute #1 TOK HKG Flash, except for 1c/2GB/15GB and 2c/8GB/40GB and AMD/Intel? Which one is a new hardware?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited November 2021

@MrWonder said:
    @hosthatch
    What ist the difference between NVMe Intel E5 #1 and Black Friday 2021 — Compute #1 TOK HKG Flash, except for 1c/2GB/15GB and 2c/8GB/40GB and AMD/Intel? Which one is a new hardware?

The AMD hardware is much newer - processors are the latest models AFAIK, whereas the Intel processors are around 8 years old.

You get a better deal (cheaper price) with the flash sale, but a newer, faster VPS with the regular Black Friday sale.

Thanked by 2MrWonder the_doctor
  • @hosthatch
    Just a quick comment regarding the new panel: I'm not sure, but I think it is comparing the local time in my desktop with that of the server's time. With my most recent invoice, it stated that it was due "yesterday" and after paying, it was paid "yesterday", which was of course just a time zone difference.

Nothing big, but something you might want to improve on. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.