Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE - Page 33
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE

Comments

• kavinrakkavinrak Member
    edited December 2021

Why do everyone want to offload a ks-le, it is a great box for that price and can replace quite a few vps's ?
    I currently have a ks7-ca, and cant decide if i should upgrade or retain. ks-le is like 50% costlier though.

•    Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Jafica Telecomunicaciones SAS de CV - Montreal, QC (id = 40155)
            ISP: OVH SAS
        Latency:     0.18 ms   (0.05 ms jitter)
       Download:   476.72 Mbps (data used: 660.5 MB )
         Upload:   940.25 Mbps (data used: 423.3 MB )
    Packet Loss: Not available.
     Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/5602f24f-d850-44e5-9d86-369344be065a

• (btw speedtest isn't the most reliable tool for assessing available bw)

Thanked by 1edoarudo5
  • Yabs gives the same results so I guess it's fine.

• @edoarudo5 said:
    I just got access to my Kimsufi CA, I got lucky with it too and got 1 GBps Up and 500 Mbps Down as opposed to my FR LE with 100 Mbps up and 500 Mbps down. It's 2 x 2 TB though. I planned on letting go one of these because the CA one was an order out of desperation (FOMO). Now, I'm not too sure. I got one with 2 x 4 TB and one with 1Gbps Up! I don't know if what would be better, storage or speed?

I'm interested if you drop it! :)

• @lala_th said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    I just got access to my Kimsufi CA, I got lucky with it too and got 1 GBps Up and 500 Mbps Down as opposed to my FR LE with 100 Mbps up and 500 Mbps down. It's 2 x 2 TB though. I planned on letting go one of these because the CA one was an order out of desperation (FOMO). Now, I'm not too sure. I got one with 2 x 4 TB and one with 1Gbps Up! I don't know if what would be better, storage or speed?

You're on the list. ;)

• @edoarudo5 said:

@lala_th said:

@edoarudo5 said:

You're on the list. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what BHS Dc is your server located?

• @lala_th said:

@edoarudo5 said:

@lala_th said:

@edoarudo5 said:

You're on the list. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what BHS Dc is your server located?

Speed is on BHS 3. Storage is on BHS6.

Thanked by 1lala_th
  • @edoarudo5 said: You're on the list.

Add me too in the list for 2 x 4 TB box.

• @samm said:

@edoarudo5 said: You're on the list.

Add me too in the list for 2 x 4 TB box.

You're added to the list.

Thanked by 1samm
  • I am in the same boat here. I finally got my ID verified a day ago, now waiting patiently for provisioning.

To get my ID verified I had to create a second ticket wherein someone raised the priority of the ID request ticket otherwise I feel like it would be stuck in limbo forever.

I have no active tickets so I just have to hope they will provision when able. It sure is disconcerting to see them sell and instantly provision servers for other people while I have paid and continue waiting two weeks and counting.

@TheBrokenBee said:

@hanhan said:
    I don’t know if anyone is like me. My machine has not been activated since the order placed on November 24th. I sent them a ticket midway. Buy tickets ID160401383

According to the invoice mine is stuck on the last step. Installation of sever.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Shot2 said: Would keep probably speed. Crap bandwidth is a severely limitating factor once you get into "serious" use.

Plus, easier (and safer) to find extra storage, than to find another beefy cpu with extra bandwidth speed.

Keep in mind they can "fix" the bandwidth by properly clamping it to 100 Mbit at any time, whereas they certainly won't go into people's servers to rip out the 4TB HDDs.

• @rm_ said:

@Shot2 said: Would keep probably speed. Crap bandwidth is a severely limitating factor once you get into "serious" use.

Plus, easier (and safer) to find extra storage, than to find another beefy cpu with extra bandwidth speed.

Keep in mind they can "fix" the bandwidth by properly clamping it to 100 Mbit at any time, whereas they certainly won't go into people's servers to rip out the 4TB HDDs.

Do we have evidence that such a downgrade ever happened?

(... and considering the ease with which OVH replaces faulty hdds, what if one of your 4TB goes boom? you may end up with 2TB. Bye bye sweet softRAID.)

edited December 2021

@Shot2 said: what if one of your 4TB goes boom? you may end up with 2TB

Most likely you will, so hope that it doesn't.

@Shot2 said: considering the ease with which OVH replaces faulty hdds

But what this has to do with it? At least the enterprise Hitachi on offer don't fail with "ease".

@Shot2 said: Bye bye sweet softRAID

Even then though, mdadm RAID doesn't have to use full drives, so you could have 2x2TB in RAID, and the tail of the larger drive as separate.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2021

@rm_ said:

@Shot2 said: what if one of your 4TB goes boom? you may end up with 2TB

Most likely you will, so hope that it doesn't.

Yep. Hope that they don't downsize bandwidth, too. Lots of hoping to be done.

@Shot2 said: considering the ease with which OVH replaces faulty hdds

But what this has to do with it? At least the enterprise Hitachi on offer don't fail with "ease".

What has the reliability of Hitachi Ent HDD to do with the well-known (and much appreciated) OVH policy of replacing HDDs in a snap (even non-faulty ones actually, if you see what I mean)... and thus the non-null likelihood of ending up with some 2TB ones at the end of the day? OTOH, I can find no evidence of OVH ever downgrading "excessive" bandwidth. Hence my question. (And no answer yet. Anyone?)

@Shot2 said: Bye bye sweet softRAID

Even then though, mdadm RAID doesn't have to use full drives, so you could have 2x2TB in RAID, and the tail of the larger drive as separate.

Sure (I do it routinely, although with HW raid). Or even don't use raid at all. Or just use 10GB of the 2x4TB. I'm sure some people do. So what? In contrast with your evocation of a possible (but never observed before afaik) downgrade in bandwidth, I just provided an instance among other of a non-unrealistic drawback that might plausibly result from a plausible downgrade in hardware (similarly never observed either afaik, they tend to upgrade stuff).

• @Shot2 said: What has the reliability of Hitachi Ent HDD to do with the well-known (and much appreciated) OVH policy of replacing HDDs in a snap (even non-faulty ones actually, if you see what I mean)... and thus the non-null likelihood of ending up with some 2TB ones at the end of the day? OTOH, I can find no evidence of OVH ever downgrading "excessive" bandwidth. Hence my question. (And no answer yet. Anyone?)

The "cost" to get someone to go looking for your server just to swap out your 4 TB drive is probably higher than the price difference between two very old 4 TB and 2 TB drives.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Disk failure, how funny.
    Does anyone remember the free upgrades from i3 to i5?

Mainboard, CPU, Memory, if anything of this dies, I am getting a downgrade.
    These disks tend to turn out very solid, and even if, one fails, you still have the other.

• @Neoon said:
    Mainboard, CPU, Memory, if anything of this dies, I am getting a downgrade.

I've actually seen mobos die at Kimsufi (due to some electrical fan-hitting sh*t iirc). That would be a bitch :D

edited December 2021

@Shot2 said: What has the reliability of Hitachi Ent HDD to do with the well-known (and much appreciated) OVH policy of replacing HDDs in a snap

I'm still not sure what you mean. They don't replace the HDD abruptly on their own, unless you ask (or consent). And will not in this case either, just to reclaim the mistakenly given 4TB and provision you with the specced 2. That's just out of the question, and not a "hope" matter. You supposedly already have your data there, how do you imagine they go ahead and pull the HDD from under you and cause you data loss.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Kimsufi France network is faster and much more stable than Kimsufi Canada.

If anyone is interested I can transfer Kimsufi Canada for $20. The monthly renewal is $18 per account.

For transfer, the buyer must have an account with Kimsufi US.

• @dev_vps said:
    Kimsufi France network is faster and much more stable than Kimsufi Canada.

If anyone is interested I can transfer Kimsufi Canada for $20. The monthly renewal is $18 per account.

If it's 500Mbps or 1Gbps upload I'll take it lol.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2021

@rm_ said:
    I'm still not sure what you mean. They don't replace the HDD abruptly on their own, unless you ask (or consent). And will not in this case either, just to reclaim the mistakenly given 4TB and provision you with the specced 2. That's just out of the question, and not a "hope" matter. You supposedly already have your data there, how do you imagine they go ahead and pull the HDD from under you and cause you data loss.

Of course they don't. You're severely misrepresenting my point, that's akin to a strawman.

One more (last) time : in the event (not unlikely, even Hitachis can fail) that a HDD fails (or is showing worrying signs and you proactively force OVH to replace it, wink wink)... you are far from certain of obtaining a 4TB replacement to keep enjoying that "special" KS (and e.g. recreate your 4TB raid) when the server model explicitly states 2x2TB. So, at the end of the day, it is not extraordinarily implausible that one would end up with 4TB+2TB. Or 4TB+3TB (if they ran out of 2TBs - not so likely either, they still have lots of them). See what I mean? Drawback of having "won" the Kimsufi lottery.

In the meantime, does anyone have evidence of them ever downgrading "bonus" bandwidth? (voluntarily, or after maintenance, whatever, I don't care). Can't find anything. Did it ever happen, or not?

I never had a disk replacement on Kimsufi yet, despite services since 2016.
    Mainboard died a few times, which the monitoring notices and gets replaced automatically fine.

If your disk dies, your system goes to read only, which does not trigger anything but at this point you want it replaced right.

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@dev_vps said:
    Kimsufi France network is faster and much more stable than Kimsufi Canada.

If it's 500Mbps or 1Gbps upload I'll take it lol.

100 Mbps upload
    1000 Mbps download

• If someone want to sell their KS-LE ( FR or CA ) I will take it.
    Thank you !

• @Undertaker64 said:
    If someone want to sell their KS-LE ( FR or CA ) I will take it.
    Thank you !

I have one in France on a French account. I can let it go as I don't need it (thanks to my SYS-2-SAT-32).

I still don't know how to format YABS results properly !!!

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script
    v2021-10-09
    https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Thu Dec 2 08:15:02 UTC 2021

Basic System Information:
    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
    CPU cores : 8 @ 3900.000 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 31.2 GiB
    Swap : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk : 1.8 TiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 790.00 KB/s (197) 10.97 MB/s (171)
    Write 827.00 KB/s (206) 11.46 MB/s (179)
    Total 1.61 MB/s (403) 22.43 MB/s (350)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 42.84 MB/s (83) 54.58 MB/s (53)
    Write 45.19 MB/s (88) 58.52 MB/s (57)
    Total 88.04 MB/s (171) 113.10 MB/s (110)
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 95.6 Mbits/sec | 899 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 95.7 Mbits/sec | 877 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 95.4 Mbits/sec | 926 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon | Singapore (1G) | 15.7 Mbits/sec | 159 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 33.4 Mbits/sec | 417 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 30.3 Mbits/sec | 291 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 22.4 Mbits/sec | 180 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | 16.1 Mbits/sec | 161 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 94.4 Mbits/sec | 909 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 94.4 Mbits/sec | 912 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | busy | busy
    WebHorizon | Singapore (1G) | 12.6 Mbits/sec | 124 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 39.1 Mbits/sec | 260 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 21.9 Mbits/sec | 193 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 914
    Multi Core | 3734
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11370387

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited December 2021

I've picked two KS-LE as well in different regions as I wasn't sure which one I was going to use I'm letting one of them go and keeping the other. FR/IE region if anyone is interested.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-12-03                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Thu Dec  9 09:32:32 UTC 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 1199.951 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 31.4 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 1.8 TiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 766.00 KB/s    (191) | 10.99 MB/s     (171)
    Write      | 803.00 KB/s    (200) | 11.56 MB/s     (180)
    Total      | 1.56 MB/s      (391) | 22.56 MB/s     (351)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 47.73 MB/s      (93) | 66.29 MB/s      (64)
    Write      | 50.47 MB/s      (98) | 70.70 MB/s      (69)
    Total      | 98.21 MB/s     (191) | 137.00 MB/s    (133)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 95.3 Mbits/sec  | 827 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 95.4 Mbits/sec  | 825 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 94.8 Mbits/sec  | 920 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | busy            | 304 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 39.1 Mbits/sec  | 320 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 30.0 Mbits/sec  | 223 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 23.3 Mbits/sec  | 227 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 11.8 Mbits/sec  | 152 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 94.1 Mbits/sec  | 907 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 94.0 Mbits/sec  | 908 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 93.8 Mbits/sec  | 909 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 37.4 Mbits/sec  | 275 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 24.4 Mbits/sec  | 158 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 898
    Multi Core      | 3543
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11505382

edited December 2021

What are these different benchmark results on dedis?

I have seen everything from 3.5k to 3.7k even 3.8k.
    Same CPU, I can replicate this on booth of my machines, CONSISTENTLY.

Same Kernel, same OS, less benchmark.
    Anyone care to explain?

I did not look at the CPU temp's yet.

• @Neoon said:

Anyone care to explain?

The difference between Canada and France locations in terms of network speed is day and night as well.

@TheBrokenBee said:

@Neoon said:

Anyone care to explain?

The difference between Canada and France locations in terms of network speed is day and night as well.

A congested network has nothing to do with cpu benchmark results.