Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting that accepts controversy websites & Freedom of Speech - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting that accepts controversy websites & Freedom of Speech

Comments

• @KermEd said:
    Just… keep in mind, what the laws are in a country and what a host decides to do isn’t often the same.

Ok
    But, on other perspective
    it’s should be subject to the laws of a country

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@KermEd said:
    their products are a privilege not a right. If they want to ban you for using the word pickle, they can arbitrarily do so.

No. If there is a contract (not necessarily in writing) and customer has paid in advance, then he has the right to host his stuff.
    (Yes, I know, provider can e.g. change TOS, AUP, etc. but that concerns the how, not the 'if').

And btw, at least in civilized countries contracts, agreements etc. must stay within the frame of law and be roughly proportional.

Having any other expectation is delusional.

Yes, right, but that's the result of corrupt lawmakers, power-play (e.g. the chances of Jon Doe to defend against e.g. facebook), and, I'm sad to say, the stupidity of way too many people who, for example, just don't grasp that often they are the product and source of corporate income.

@KermEd said:
    Anti-vaxxers here have shutdown quite a bit of our hospitals with protests and been violent with the medical staff - we have people who have missed surgeries because of it. And the dumbest part is the doctors here aren’t the decision makers. Doctors, staff and surgeries are being scheduled around protest levels - so yes, anti-vaxx (here) are directly preventing people from getting ‘jabs’ as well as life saving surgery and other things.

As you say: 'here' (where you live). In at least major parts of Europe that's not the case or extremely rarely, plus IMO that's less to do with "anti-vaxxer" and mostly with political and social culture.
    Anyway, you are arguing with exceptions and those can be found for both sides. Wrt the vast majority of vaxx doubters or anti-vaxxers I do not see them blocking access to medical facilities and most would even right away reject the idea.

@KermEd said:
    I have no problem with unvaxxed people. As long as they are held legally accountable for every medical expense incurred by them not doing so. I.E. if you get someone sick and they die, you need to pay the legal consequence of doing so.

Strange, I've heard of quite a few people who demanded a form to be signed before jabbing that clearly says that the jabber (doctor or nurse) accept full responsibility and liability for any negative consequences of the vaccination - and virtually all of them refused to sign.

If I’m wrong, you get a sore arm. If you are wrong, people keep dying. That’s why I think people treat you like an ass.

And I think that you are shifting, bending, and contorting things as you need them to match your personal belief.

For a start, do you have proof? There are increasingly many cases where even state agencies had to correct their numbers drastically by e.g. discontinuing the ridiculous practice of counting anyone dead with covid symptoms and to rather only count only those died by covid. Plus the vast majority of covid numbers do not even meet minimal acceptance standards, e.g and in particular due to practical malfeasance like cycle counts that are ridiculously north of what's good practice. The way most covid tests are done even one's Laptop has covid ...

What I see is massive authority arguments, unverifiable or plain false evidence, malfeasance, and lots and lots of empty promises, hot air, and fear mongering.

What I do not see is a vaccine that meets standard well established practices, processes and norms, and that actually protects - remember? 'vaccine* once was about protecting against some disease. Well even the pro-vaxx "experts" are increasingly admitting that the holy vaxx doesn't even work.

Again, feel free to belief in the stories and the vaxx, I won't try to keep you away from the vaxx and I condemn any actions which disturb or block medical facilities incl. those of pro-vaxxers.

• @MannDude said:

@KermEd said:

@MannDude said:
    So, you can't claim to support free speech if your company policy is that you can't speak freely about some major aspect of life around the globe right now.

A policy can change at the click of a button - again their products are a privilege not a right.

I agree.

If they want to ban you for using the word pickle, they can arbitrarily do so.

Then the phrase and words chosen to describe the product no longer match the reality of the service offered.

Just my two cents.

Really good to see someone defending freedom of speech.
    I will also take a look in your hosting services.

Thanked by 1MannDude

@sandoz said:

Yes, and quite nice VMs too! I've bought one myself (and am perfectly happy with it). Benchmark & review coming soon ...

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @jsg said:

@sandoz said:

Yes, and quite nice VMs too! I've bought one myself (and am perfectly happy with it). Benchmark & review coming soon ...

I will definitively take a closer look... since freedom of speech is a high requirement.
    Maybe I do a review about Incognit or other.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • Bahnhof, 1984Hosting ?

• @Profforg said:
    Based on your last sentense, i assume you can try any hosting provider located in Russia if it can be called eastern Europe. For example
    https://myvps.ru/?p=12143#MSK-RU-KVM-SSD
    https://pinvds.com/eng_ssd_vps_hosting
    https://eurobyte.ru/services/vds/

But I'd mention that anything hosted within Russia should abide by our laws related to privacy, forbidden content and so on. Study those laws first (or ask the provider for summary), unless you don't expect unpleasant "surprises" all of a sudden

Thanked by 1tux
  • @jsg said:

@Profforg said:
    Based on your last sentense, i assume you can try any hosting provider located in Russia if it can be called eastern Europe.

Oh well, Russia just happens to be by far the largest european (but not EU) country, so yes I guess Russia can be called eastern Europe.

As for their laws, they are a bit picky/bureaucratic with data (not unlike e.g. Germany) and it might be unwise to host an obviously hateful anti-Putin or anti-Russia or plain criminal site there but I've never had a single freedom of speech problem there (not even with occasional anti-Putin opinions expressed (reflected opinions, not pure hatred). Hell, we are talking about a country that even gave public money to the pussy riot pervert abomination.

As for the USA and EU my take is very similar to @Francisco's and @MannDude's. It's really sad and was different but nowadays the USA indeed seems to be much more liberal (in the original and good sense) than EU-rope.
    I'd add however the advice to preferably look at countries who at least do don't easily bend over for facebook, twitter and other dictatorial large corporations because, I agree with Francisco, increasingly often it's not LEA knocking but woke (not at all) "liberals" trying to force their ideology and showing zero tolerance for lack of blind obedience.

They are also jailing people for likes/shares of memes in Russia. Freedom of speech in RF - laughable. You should go back to teh FSB propaganda school, good for nothing Putler lover that you are. ;)

Thanked by 1webcraft

@xaoc said:
    They are also jailing people for likes/shares of memes in Russia. Freedom of speech in RF - laughable. You should go back to teh FSB propaganda school, good for nothing Putler lover that you are. ;)

You clearly watch too much CNN "news". And btw FSB is in charge inside of Russia, similar to the FBI. The organisation you mean is SVD. Have a nice weekend Russia-hater.

Thanked by 1ferefient
  • AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited November 2021

@jsg said:

@xaoc said:

You clearly watch too much CNN "news". And btw FSB is in charge inside of Russia, similar to the FBI. The organisation you mean is SVD. Have a nice weekend Russia-hater.

If you are denying or not aware the fact that in Russia (trying) to kill somebody from political reasons it not xaoc's fiction from CNN, then maybe you should educate yourself. Just watch how RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT AGENCIES for many months tried to assassinate Alexei Navalny:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexei_Navalny

https://bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2020/12/14/fsb-team-of-chemical-weapon-experts-implicated-in-alexey-navalny-novichok-poisoning/

and then stop calling others as "Russia-hater" or spreading BS that FSB is similar to FBI because obviously you have completely no idea what are you talking about

Thanked by 2webcraft bulbasaur
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I have no business in Russia, but I thought the general consensus was they really don't care what you're doing / saying so long as you're not against Russia.

A lot of the websites on I2P and Yggdrasil networks I've reviewed (Safe For Work) were Russian language political sites and forums. I figured that was just to protect themselves from the government.

Just a personal anecdote and observation.

edited November 2021

@Andrews said:
    If you are denying or not aware the fact that in Russia (trying) to kill somebody from political reasons it not xaoc's fiction from CNN, then maybe you should educate yourself. Just watch how RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT AGENCIES for many months tried to assassinate Alexei Navalny:

Yeah right, but somehow those cold KGB killer pros just were incapable and too stupid to succeed. Maybe they are out of polonium, so they used Novitchok, a very interesting substance that is absolutely and horrifingly deadly but somehow quite reliably fails to kill people the Kremlin wants gone?

Friendly hint: Navalny's actual significance in Russia, as opposed to what is asserted by western media, is virtually zero. To think that Putin wants him dead makes about as much sense as thinking that queen Elisabeth wants you dead.

Navalny's party is about as powerful in Russia as your aunties knitting club in your country's politics.

HaHaHaHaHa, bellingcat, my a__, how ridiculous.

bellingcat as a source or even "proof" of anything whatsoever, except maybe some very poor spooks fiction, is just incredibly ridiculous. As you seem to be interested in evil state actors I have a tip for you: just ask the brit authorities how - and where - Mr. Skripal and his daughter are. If you don't get an answer go and ask bellingcat, hahahaha.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @jsg said:

@Andrews said:

Yeah right, but somehow those cold KGB killer pros just were incapable and too stupid to succeed. Maybe they are out of polonium, so they used Novitchok, a very interesting substance that is absolutely and horrifingly deadly but somehow quite reliably fails to kill people the Kremlin wants gone?

Friendly hint: Navalny's actual significance in Russia, as opposed to what is asserted by western media, is virtually zero. To think that Putin wants him dead makes about as much sense as thinking that queen Elisabeth wants you dead.

Navalny's party is about as powerful in Russia as your aunties knitting club in your country's politics.

HaHaHaHaHa, bellingcat, my a__, how ridiculous.

bellingcat as a source or even "proof" of anything whatsoever, except maybe some very poor spooks fiction, is just incredibly ridiculous. As you seem to be interested in evil state actors I have a tip for you: just ask the brit authorities how - and where - Mr. Skripal and his daughter are. If you don't get an answer go and ask bellingcat, hahahaha.

if poisoning political enemies by Russia government agencies is so funny for you, and you don't see nothing wrong in it, then for me further discussion with you is pointless. maybe this FBI (as you said "similar to FSB") should/will take care of MLG... :D :D :D

@Andrews said:
    if poisoning political enemies by Russia government agencies is so funny for you, and you don't see nothing wrong in it, then for me further discussion with you is pointless. maybe this FBI (as you said "similar to FSB") should/will take care of MLG... :D :D :D

Any form of assassination by any government agency is never funny but to be condemned.

Judging and condemning anyone, incl. governments and their agencies, based on bellingcat, adverserial - and well known to lie - media or Wikipedia, recognized as bending truth (to put it diplomatically) by one of its founders, however is ridiculous.

Learn it already: cutout, media, or Wikipedia noise is not proof and before condemning someone one should meet at least minimal legal procedure standards.

Funny btw. how indeed murderous regimes like the USA and UK happily continue to torture people (e.g. Assange) and even to kill people (e.g. in illegal wars) but are painted as the good and righteous ones, while - just a coincidence certainly - the very countries USA and UK dislike are always painted as the bad and evil ones by the US and european media and ngos.

Show me proof that could stand in a reasonably proper court and I'll listen to your allegations and even condemn the russian government.

• Get Swiss Hosting.

• Bought Incognet.io, soon I will do a review...

• spreading BS that FSB is similar to FBI because obviously you have completely no idea what are you talking about

True, the FBI is vastly more evil.

Thanked by 2BlazinDimes jsg
  • @MannDude
    Shared hosting servers run on which CPU?
    Wanted to host WP site. Also when will be USA location available? any ETA?

edited December 2021

@JasonM said:
    @MannDude
    Shared hosting servers run on which CPU?
    Wanted to host WP site. Also when will be USA location available? any ETA?

In the Netherlands it's AMD Ryzen based, though we're currently out of stock on shared hosting as of yesterday.

I just got a server online in Dallas, TX but we're still doing some setup which has now been pushed back a day or two. It'll have all the same features of the Netherlands location but it's Intel based, a bit older E5 CPUs but we went for more cores over fewer, more powerful ones. It'll still suffice and work well.

Not for sure when NL will come back in stock right now. Been very busy but I'd expect it before the end of the month, that's for sure.

I'll have to update some of the marketing content on the website as well since the shared service may not be as consistent in hardware configuration as the VPS nodes, meaning each new deployment may have slightly different CPU specs, for example.

TL;DR: AMD in NL, Intel in the US (but that can always change) USA availability within a week.

EDIT: In case anyone wonders how we deal with requests from law enforcement: https://incognet.io/warrant-canary . I'm working on a public transparency portal too where we can log and display things like requests from law enforcement and possibly even abuse reports.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @MannDude how you will handle us law? Btw i requested you 4-5days ago for discount offer, you said you se

@bdspice said:
    @MannDude how you will handle us law? Btw i requested you 4-5days ago for discount offer, you said you se

Like any other US provider, we'll comply where we have to. But the magic of us is that we allow our users to sign up with an alias and any random email, from Tor exits, VPNs, etc.

So let's say you sign up with the name, "John Doe", with [email protected] and big brother came a knockin', asking for the details and records related to your account, all we can give them is what you supply. Hosting providers aren't investigative branches of law enforcement, we're service providers. I don't feel it's my duty to try to connect the dots for these people.

With that said, if you were doing something against our TOS / AUP then we'll handle that internally based on severity of the violation. But as far as LE requests go, you can't provide anything more than you know. If we don't know your home IP, your name, or other details all we can do is pass on whatever info you gave us.

What did I say about the discount offer? I think I likely said there may be a few Black Friday coupons unused. I removed some pending / unpaid orders from the queue and had a cancellation or two on annual 128MB plans because folks didn't realize you can't run the latest Ubuntu on such limited resources and stuff.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @MannDude said:

@bdspice said:
    @MannDude how you will handle us law? Btw i requested you 4-5days ago for discount offer, you said you se

Like any other US provider, we'll comply where we have to. But the magic of us is that we allow our users to sign up with an alias and any random email, from Tor exits, VPNs, etc.

So let's say you sign up with the name, "John Doe", with [email protected] and big brother came a knockin', asking for the details and records related to your account, all we can give them is what you supply. Hosting providers aren't investigative branches of law enforcement, we're service providers. I don't feel it's my duty to try to connect the dots for these people.

With that said, if you were doing something against our TOS / AUP then we'll handle that internally based on severity of the violation. But as far as LE requests go, you can't provide anything more than you know. If we don't know your home IP, your name, or other details all we can do is pass on whatever info you gave us.

What did I say about the discount offer? I think I likely said there may be a few Black Friday coupons unused. I removed some pending / unpaid orders from the queue and had a cancellation or two on annual 128MB plans because folks didn't realize you can't run the latest Ubuntu on such limited resources and stuff.

A large part of your post could be interpreted as aiding and abetting in the court of law, and the prosecution would have it easy if they wanted to prove that you: a) advised them indirectly to use fake information, and b) told them that you won't verify the said information.

I won't tell you how to run your business, but you just need to be aware of the consequences.

There's a reason why a lot of the hosting companies don't comment on things like these publicly. It can not only be used against you in the court of law, but it can also hurt your business later on, should the media pick it up for whatever reason.

@TWC said:

@MannDude said:

@bdspice said:

A large part of your post could be interpreted as aiding and abetting in the court of law, and the prosecution would have it easy if they wanted to prove that you: a) advised them indirectly to use fake information, and b) told them that you won't verify the said information.

I won't tell you how to run your business, but you just need to be aware of the consequences.

There's a reason why a lot of the hosting companies don't comment on things like these publicly. It can not only be used against you in the court of law, but it can also hurt your business later on, should the media pick it up for whatever reason.

Except we still prohibit illegal activity and enforce our TOS.

No KYC law exists for this industry and until one does, we don't need your name, address, ip, ID, etc.

• @MannDude said:

@TWC said:

@MannDude said:

@bdspice said:

No KYC law exists for this industry and until one does, we don't need your name, address, ip, ID, etc.

That doesn't mean that your comment wouldn't be interpreted as being ignorant by the judge if the prosecution painted a picture of you as some sort of a freedom fighter, who won't look at it from a different perspective but his own. They are ruthless, and they don't care about you as a person.

Imagine if a terrorist cell member abused your service. The question that everyone would be asking wouldn't be: "Was he 100% in the right legally, and would claiming the non-existence of a word-by-word named KYC law be enough of a defense?", it would be: "Did he do enough to prevent this from happening?".

You still have to do due diligence, whether you call it KYC or something else.

But due diligence is due diligence... we're not saying that the terrorist cell member wouldn't have been able to use SOCKS5, steal some random guy's identity and pass every fraud check in existence, it's basically whether or not you told them that they can do it by spending less.

It's a double-edged sword, sadly. On one hand, you decrease the amount of people's identities being used for nefarious purposes, on the other hand... you're the one who would bear the legal consequences.

So> @TWC said:

@MannDude said:

@TWC said:

@MannDude said:

@bdspice said:

That doesn't mean that your comment wouldn't be interpreted as being ignorant by the judge if the prosecution painted a picture of you as some sort of a freedom fighter, who won't look at it from a different perspective but his own. They are ruthless, and they don't care about you as a person.

Imagine if a terrorist cell member abused your service. The question that everyone would be asking wouldn't be: "Was he 100% in the right legally, and would claiming the non-existence of a word-by-word named KYC law be enough of a defense?", it would be: "Did he do enough to prevent this from happening?".

But due diligence is due diligence... we're not saying that the terrorist cell member wouldn't have been able to use SOCKS5, steal some random guy's identity and pass every fraud check in existence, it's basically whether or not you told them that they can do it by spending less.

It's a double-edged sword, sadly. On one hand, you decrease the amount of people's identities being used for nefarious purposes, on the other hand... you're the one who would bear the legal consequences.

We only actively promote via LET and WHT, and other sales come via word of mouth from existing customers, from a number of public privacy projects we operate (YouTube Proxy, Private Reddit Reader, sponsoring Yggdrasil Network Peer nodes, etc) and pretty decent Google rankings. We make zero effort to market in any 'questionable' communities and actively try to NOT attract anyone who would cause us or others a headache. Our stance on privacy and freedom of speech is known publicly as published on our website and on our social media.

Think of it as posting on an online public forum. Your real name isn't bdspice. Your IP that LET logs could be a VPN or Tor Exit. Based on that and whatever email address you provided, there may be nothing at all personally identifying about you in their records. Are you in America, Germany, Peru or Thailand? It's possible that it may not be determined by their records. But, if the feds asked for info related to your account, they (like us) would supply what is collected, which may or may not be helpful to them. LET wouldn't bear the legal consequences of the postings of a member anymore than we would a service subscriber.

But, like you, I am not a lawyer so I guess it depends. So far, we've not had any issues with our customers beyond a bit of spam and general abuse tickets that any provider receives in this market (I've worked for several companies, doesn't matter who you are, you receive these notices) so we handle those by enforcing our TOS/AUP and proudly within an hour or two on average. The only actual 'law enforcement request' came via what seemed to be some local police precinct in Germany about someone who had a Tor Exit. It's difficult to verify all the legitimate agencies and localized departments from around the world and what could be potentially phishing or social engineering attempts as well, so additional caution is placed when responding to anything that we are not immediately familiar with from jurisdictions that we do not operate in. If we're able to determine ourselves that someone they're reporting is violating our terms or usage policy, which includes violating the law of the land where the service is in, we handle it as any other company would. "Hello. Here's the door."

• @MannDude said:
    So> @TWC said:

@MannDude said:

@TWC said:

@MannDude said:

@bdspice said:

We only actively promote via LET and WHT, and other sales come via word of mouth from existing customers, from a number of public privacy projects we operate (YouTube Proxy, Private Reddit Reader, sponsoring Yggdrasil Network Peer nodes, etc) and pretty decent Google rankings. We make zero effort to market in any 'questionable' communities and actively try to NOT attract anyone who would cause us or others a headache. Our stance on privacy and freedom of speech is known publicly as published on our website and on our social media.

Think of it as posting on an online public forum. Your real name isn't bdspice. Your IP that LET logs could be a VPN or Tor Exit. Based on that and whatever email address you provided, there may be nothing at all personally identifying about you in their records. Are you in America, Germany, Peru or Thailand? It's possible that it may not be determined by their records. But, if the feds asked for info related to your account, they (like us) would supply what is collected, which may or may not be helpful to them. LET wouldn't bear the legal consequences of the postings of a member anymore than we would a service subscriber.

But, like you, I am not a lawyer so I guess it depends. So far, we've not had any issues with our customers beyond a bit of spam and general abuse tickets that any provider receives in this market (I've worked for several companies, doesn't matter who you are, you receive these notices) so we handle those by enforcing our TOS/AUP and proudly within an hour or two on average. The only actual 'law enforcement request' came via what seemed to be some local police precinct in Germany about someone who had a Tor Exit. It's difficult to verify all the legitimate agencies and localized departments from around the world and what could be potentially phishing or social engineering attempts as well, so additional caution is placed when responding to anything that we are not immediately familiar with from jurisdictions that we do not operate in. If we're able to determine ourselves that someone they're reporting is violating our terms or usage policy, which includes violating the law of the land where the service is in, we handle it as any other company would. "Hello. Here's the door."

Your posts, however, can be found on search engines, and it can be argued that you are indirectly (but knowingly) leaving a crumb trail for them to follow.

There is a difference between a hosting provider and LET.

Forum communities aren't taking any payments (generally), and it's somewhat understood in LE circles that there is very little to no value in the information that a subpoena would yield. So whether or not they verify emails, collect IPs, etc. It's generally useless, because there is no payment data to associate it with. Paired with other data, however... now that's a different story.

But let's go back to the hosting provider angle. As said, it's much different to a forum community. You're taking payments, and you're practically responsible for what they do. At least morally... and that moral responsibility is what makes a lot of hosts do due diligence.

Think of it like: Some things don't need to be said out loud. You don't need to tell anyone that they can use fake information. They obviously can, and most likely will. But don't make them do it in such an open and brazen way, at least make them think twice and dissuade them from doing so if they're using obviously fake information.

Just because you can do something legally right now doesn't mean that it won't come back to bite you in the ass later on. Especially with not doing due diligence and collecting customer information.

We're slowly creeping into the future, and in that future. You're going to have to collect all customer information in order to be able to keep the lights on.

edited December 2021

@TWC

There is no law requiring @MannDude to ask for and keep personal information of clients.

So why care about how some weirdo judge might feel? And anyway judges tend to know the rules and that one can demand only on the basis of law.

You seem to focus on "but evil terrorists could ...". Yes they could, but then evil terrorist also could kidnap a school bus, so should schools close down and school bus services as well?
    MannDude otoh focuses on normal largely law abiding people who simply want some privacy and the laws not being automatically interpreted against them. After all, at least officially, laws were meant to protect the people and to provide a frame for their interactions.

I've benchmarked a IncogNet VPS and I purchased one and can confirm that it's a very nice and performant product, that their service is really good (e.g. support even during weekends relatively quick) and that a phantasy name and an email, which btw. is desired but not demanded, are sufficient to purchase a VPS.

And I guess I'm a "perfect IncogNet customer" because I want and value privacy highly - as well as a very nice product - but I have no criminal intentions whatsoever. There's many like me and I guess we are IncogNet's target group. I'm a very happy IncogNet customer.

Thanked by 2niknar1900 MannDude

@TWC said: We're slowly creeping into the future, and in that future. You're going to have to collect all customer information in order to be able to keep the lights on.

Well, in that future I turn the lights off and say goodbye and make a graceful exit. That's the type of future I am campaigning against and one that no one should actively support.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2021

@jsg said:
    @TWC

There is no law requiring @MannDude to ask for and keep personal information of clients.

It's questionable. ARIN policies may, but more interestingly might be the issue of legal obligation. If a case can be reasonably made that you knowingly hosted illegal content while knowingly not obtaining the identity of the customer, liability may be easier to pin on the host.

I can't always know for sure that what I have is accurate, but when I know for sure that it isn't then I tend to issue refunds right away. It's better than trying to pin liability on "Seymour Boners" from "123 Main Street" because it won't take a strong argument to convince anyone that I knew that was fake.

I always call it an issue of trust. If you don't trust me but you pay me to host your content, my fear is that you may be trying to stick me with liability for it.

• @jar said:

@jsg said:
    @TWC

It's questionable. ARIN policies may, but more interestingly might be the issue of legal obligation. If a case can be reasonably made that you knowingly hosted illegal content while knowingly not obtaining the identity of the customer, liability may be easier to pin on the host.

I can't always know for sure that what I have is accurate, but when I know for sure that it isn't then I tend to issue refunds right away. It's better than trying to pin liability on "Seymour Boners" from "123 Main Street" because it won't take a strong argument to convince anyone that I knew that was fake.

I always call it an issue of trust. If you don't trust me but you pay me to host your content, my fear is that you may be trying to stick me with liability for it.

I actually didn't elaborate on "keeping the lights on". It's not just a matter of complying with ARIN's policies (or those of any other RIR, they're pretty much identical when it comes to this), but also with those of the payment providers that you use (PayPal, Stripe, VISA/MC, etc) because you simply have to take the minimum amount of information in order to ensure that you're not negligent.

Negligence in business, especially Internet-related is something that is very hard to disprove if you: a) didn't collect the minimum amount of personal information, b) employed some type abuse deterrent (MaxMind, Tor exit node blocking, known VPN's, etc) and c) if you publicly advertised no-KYC as a feature.

No one is forcing hosting providers to take passport scans (it's fairly extreme), that's solely up to them as a chargeback deterrent, but like you said... Proving that you knew it was fake wouldn't be a feat.

I would like to be wrong about this.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur