Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW 10Gbps Value Seedbox From Pulsed Media! V10G Series: UPTO 40TB of Storage WITH 10Gbps - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW 10Gbps Value Seedbox From Pulsed Media! V10G Series: UPTO 40TB of Storage WITH 10Gbps

Comments

• With these negative comments, won't buy.

• Maybe I'm the noisy neighbour ahaha

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2021

Yeah. My 2 euro 1tb dedibox is a shitbox. But at least it's my 200iops shitbox.

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • jixunjixun Member
    edited November 2021

Someone is running chia for ~week :open_mouth:

$ ps aux | grep ch[i]a
    mrfarmer 109052  0.0  0.0 384652 21132 ?        Sl   Nov17   0:51 chia_daemon
    mrfarmer 258065  0.4  0.0 6495776 67572 ?       Sl   Nov21   7:16 chia_harvester

Thanked by 2commercial vimalware
  • @jixun said:

$ ps aux | grep ch[i]a
    mrfarmer 258065  0.4  0.0 6495776 67572 ?       Sl   Nov21   7:16 chia_harvester

same on my seedbox
    mrfarmer owned by pulsemedia, harvester are less disk usage but imagine mining on a raid0 server
    rip data

Thanked by 1commercial
  • @netomx said:
    I was almost buying, until I read all your comments

I had a seedbox with them for a year, no issues at all.
    I now bought the 16TB plan, mostly for backups and not to use as a seedbox.

Noticed shortly after buying that server load was at ~70 and memory was completely filled, opened a ticket at 05:00 in the morning (finland time), matter was resolved at 11:00 in the morning finland time.

I also read about them before purchasing my first seedbox with them and they had mixed reviews, but they are also the cheapest provider by far.

@LiliLabs said:

@Nekki said:
    Conversely, my experience has been largely excellent, across a budget and a premium plan.

I had a couple of issues related to weird storage usage but those were resolved quickly and without a ticket. rTorrent has been out a couple of times but not for long.

I had one of the entry seedboxes and loved it for several months. It was honestly a fantastic experience, but then after maybe 4 months or so, rtorrent became non functional, crashing every few minutes, also making the webui unusable. Maybe my node just got a noisy neighbor or something similar, since the service was wonderful before that. I gave it another few months to get fixed, but it never did.

Did you raise the issue with them?

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • jixunjixun Member
    edited November 2021

@taizi said:

@jixun said:

$ ps aux | grep ch[i]a

same on my seedbox
    mrfarmer owned by pulsemedia, harvester are less disk usage but imagine mining on a raid0 server
    rip data

I guess the lesson will be don't use as the only backup server :wink:

With rclone built-in to sync, this should be fine.

• Did you raise the issue with them?

Yes, multiple times. It got a bit better for maybe a day or 2 every time I opened an issue, then back to the same subpar performance. If it works for you, then fantastic! It was a great box for me when it worked, and I happily recommended it to my friends. Just sharing my story on what the experience was like after a few months.

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@K4Y5 said: Yeah, the bandwidth should atleast be 2x the size of the slot. It is a seedbox, ffs.

FWIW, YABS (no GB) from the old 6TB/1G deal, as well as the newer 16TB/10G deal:

You can buy extra traffic.

You should re-run the tests, seems imho a bit low. Should be very similar I/O performance numbers on both, as both are 4x 7200RPM drives.

Regardless all of the faster servers goes to M10G, Dragon-R series etc. with higher price point.

@PcJamesy said:

@tr1cky said:
    Do they all bet on Chia to rise?
    Cause if I put in 14TB (which is roughly the 16TB plan), I get this:

Or do they just use their free space for Chia mining and the rest for the actual product?

From my observations across multiple services the mrfarmer account is for the latter. PM is just using the extra free space on nodes to gain extra value for under used resources. Normally the nodes I'm on stay around 2TB of free disk space, when users add more to their disk usage pushing the free disk under 2TB the mrfarmer account seams to offload plots to keep disk space free for user needs.

Yeap you got it right. Consumes next to zero resources and with that kind of buffer very little risk of running out of space neither. Target buffer currently ought to be around 3.5TB if i recall right.

Chia farming and harvesting consumes extremely little resources, people do it with full node and all on a RaspberryPi even for petabyte scale afaik.

There are tons of long term benefits for seedboxers upcoming from this strategy. We should probably do a lengthy blog post which dives into detail on all of that.

@icebeer871 said:

@PcJamesy said: From my observations across multiple services the mrfarmer account is for the latter. PM is just using the extra free space on nodes to gain extra value for under used resources.

Wow, now that's what I call lowend. Kudos to PM I guess for squeezing every last bit out of their hardware.

At the same time I am not really sure what benefit 10 Gbit/s networking is supposed to bring when the disk speed is fairly limited to begin with and is then further reduced by chia farming on each node.

Thanks! ;)

Some of the most popular seedbox providers out there, for many the goto solution, puts upto 6 users PER DRIVE, and ONLY individual drives. Several does this infact, then people rejoice for their 10 and now 20Gbps and calls it the best seedbox ever. Wonders what a splash of marketing and branding can do :) So 4x HDD 10Gbps is at least much more I/O capability than that. Plans are to add 12x HDD servers too to this series, and these will be RAID5 most likely -- but naturally those will have more users too.

@Issam2204 said: My experience was not good with this provider. Tried their services months ago. It was extremely buggy: I couldn't download anything as rTorrent kept crashing. A couple of days after I ask a refund but never got a reply. Ticket is still open:

Well you seriously should have pinged that ticket already by this time. Things can get lost when you are busy and even helpdesk receives spam etc. This is why we are hiring additional staff.

As for rtorrent being buggy: Yea it is, we have tried to entice devs to fix it for years and years, but nothing ever gets done -- money is not sufficient motivation. rTorrent is to be considered abandonware at this point. Hence Deluge was added, hence the multitude of redundancies for rTorrent and even more needs to be still developed -- after over a decade of working around it's instability.

Also you should wait for ticket response before closing them, you cannot judge our service really if you never even allow us to check the server is functioning alright, or if you do not tell what exactly is buggy. We need feedback in order to know what to dev and fix.

There are several known stability bugs; rTorrent stops responding to it's xmlrpc API via socket, but remains up; This is not catched yet. Sometimes PHP-FPM behind Lighttpd crashes and does not autorestart, we do not catch that yet. Quite high on priority list to make watchdogs for both situations.

@pan21 said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    * V10G XS: 2TB Storage, 2GB Ram, 10Gbps, 4 000GiB External Traffic, Unlimited Internal Traffic: 4.99€ Per Month

after I placed my order, I noticed the traffic is actually 2000GB not 4000GB

Sorry this is a typo, but here i cannot fix it anymore :( Indeed should be 2000GB

@kuzko_topia said: Man i wish there was a nextcloud that could be enabled on theses seedboxes, the service seems perfect for me, but I really need to be able to have a nextcloud as well

Not the first to ask. Perhaps we should make this a priority

@LiliLabs said: I gave it another few months to get fixed, but it never did.

Open ticket. Or get higher end service from us like M10G. We don't proactively load balance entry level such as V1000, unless you are OK with full re-provisioning without data migration.

Thanked by 1icebeer871
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@PulsedMedia what about rtorrent crashing?

• @LiliLabs said: I gave it another few months to get fixed, but it never did.

Open ticket. Or get higher end service from us like M10G. We don't proactively load balance entry level such as V1000, unless you are OK with full re-provisioning without data migration.

Ticket was opened, brushed off, and closed (not that I expect amazing support for such a cheap service, so no harm done there). Already cancelled and moved on, if you guys are making an effort to improve the rtorrent stability of your slots, I might come back some day. I really liked the service when it worked, so I guess from now on I'll base my feedback around that. Best of luck!

@netomx said:
    @PulsedMedia what about rtorrent crashing?

Can you elaborate? rTorrent is very unstable and fragile piece of software. From all the dev work maybe 20% is just to make sure it even stays running. Seriously. Not even kidding.

Have no idea how other providers manage to do it, maybe idle servers?

@tr1cky said: I had a seedbox with them for a year, no issues at all.

I now bought the 16TB plan, mostly for backups and not to use as a seedbox.

Noticed shortly after buying that server load was at ~70 and memory was completely filled, opened a ticket at 05:00 in the morning (finland time), matter was resolved at 11:00 in the morning finland time.

I also read about them before purchasing my first seedbox with them and they had mixed reviews, but they are also the cheapest provider by far.

Awesome to hear! So few people comment when they have positive experience. Negative is always 100x louder, and the more competitive your price point the louder the negative comments are.

We strive for stability and reliability, while targeting industry leading competitive pricing. It's a tough combo.

@jixun said: Someone is running chia for ~week

Notice how little CPU time that has taken, week and only 7minutes 16secods of CPU time consumed. Now imagine how little I/O that might've been.

@taizi said: harvester are less disk usage but imagine mining on a raid0 server

rip data

Exactly the opposite, harvesters use the data stored (plots), and "mining" (aka Plotting for chia) uses disk i/o. Both can be done at very low priority, leaving performance for seedboxes.

More to follow on a blog post sometime in future hopefully.

@galesaur said:
    With these negative comments, won't buy.

negative voices are always the loudest, by orders of magnitude. We have 14 day moneyback if you are unsatisfied.

That being said, we do hear them, and long term plans are in place. There is always 2 sides to the story.

@LiliLabs said:

@LiliLabs said: I gave it another few months to get fixed, but it never did.

Ticket was opened, brushed off, and closed (not that I expect amazing support for such a cheap service, so no harm done there). Already cancelled and moved on, if you guys are making an effort to improve the rtorrent stability of your slots, I might come back some day. I really liked the service when it worked, so I guess from now on I'll base my feedback around that. Best of luck!

We don't typically brush off stuff, but for V1000 high load that might be possible if bought from auction. 3-4€ a month seedbox slot just is not enough money to be very proactive about.

We offer higher end plans exactly for that purpose, it not only gives you more performance, but more incentive to dwelve deeper into stuff.

Our higher end plans are much more stable, most of the rTorrent stability issues are caused by load typically. Sometimes you just need to split the load. That being said, rTorrent is considered by us now as abandonware, hence Deluge support added, and we are now working on adding qbittorrent as next. Qbittorrent shows potential UI wise to replace rtorrent.

We have released a bunch of bug bounties for rTorrent fixes, offered rakshasa himself as well (i think we offered to double or triple the bounties if he fixes them) but no one is interested to fix them. Have no freakin' idea how any other seedbox provider supposedly have stable rTorrent with no redundancies, when sometimes it feels like that's everything we do, try to keep rTorrent running with multiple levels of redundancies, custom builds etc.

To make matters worse, rTorrent has public DOS vulnerabilities on some versions, and we've seen that and more used against us on rTorrent, the public vulnerability is actually much worse DOS wise than publicized. Again, zero interest from rTorrent main dev Rakshasa or anyone else who have ever done any rTorrent dev.

We are tired of trying to get anyone to work on rTorrent tbh, and we will eventually drop it from default position. Deluge wasn't it, it has other set of issues. qBittorrent is next on list for widespread use.

Regardless, if you think you got the skills to fix rTorrent and can bring results, we got to reward you for the work. ruTorrent as interface still cannot be beat. Alternatively, rework ruTorrent for transmission or qBittorrent and we will reward you handsomely.

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @PulsedMedia said:
    Alternatively, rework ruTorrent for transmission or qBittorrent and we will reward you handsomely.

I might actually take you up on that, how handsome are we talking?

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • it will be nice to have a daily traffic chart so customer knows when and how much traffic will be reset

@jmgcaguicla said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    Alternatively, rework ruTorrent for transmission or qBittorrent and we will reward you handsomely.

I might actually take you up on that, how handsome are we talking?

If you can make it 1:1 match the better of the 2 backends (qbittorrent seems better right now) i think several K€ + dedi for years to come for you would be yours.

But that would entail also maintenance as no one can get it 100% on the first go. That being said, the community at large would benefit, and we can also talk about exclusivity for period of time if there is no unexpected bugs beyond what rTorrent itself already has (which is PLENTY)

We also need a developer long term for a plethora of projects and this would be something which almost guarantees you a full time job with us even if you are abroad.

I know this can be done, i have already done some proof of concept code ~6 years back for another project.

Bottomline is that people expect ruTorrent, but rTorrent is utter crap and has always been. Deluge is not much better. I have too little experience to talk about transmission or qbittorrent but general consensus seems that as backends both of these are vastly better.

@pan21 said:
    it will be nice to have a daily traffic chart so customer knows when and how much traffic will be reset

Check info tab, it is already there :)

• @pan21 said:
    it will be nice to have a daily traffic chart so customer knows when and how much traffic will be reset

I'd guess he's thinking it renews monthly not a rolling 30-day period. That's why he's thinking it would be good to have a daily usage chart. He would know, in [x] days he gets his total amount back.

@PulsedMedia said: We have 14 day moneyback if you are unsatisfied.

ill buy just bc you are here, active

@vimalware said: My 2 euro 1tb dedibox

neat

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

So given how China limits RMB to USD conversions and is very strict (some people think China is running low on foreign currency), I guess it could be possible that people would purchase these with RMB, then farm Chia, and get cryptocurrency (which is like USD). It's a roundabout way if you need more than $50k converted, and there's a lot of deadweight loss (like 15% of money is burnt through this process).

But this got me thinking, yes, I guess it could be a way for people to convert RMB to USD... As it stands though, the deadweight loss, combined with the fact that PulsedMedia doesn't accept WeChat/Alipay, means that I highly doubt anyone is actually doing this, at least at scale.

It would be much more common at an Ethereum buy-by-the-hashrate provider, where WeChat/Alipay (which don't allow currency services in their TOS) are still accepted and people convert RMB into ETH hashrate into ETH into USD into US stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.

Sorry for the tangent, your comment got me thinking!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

So this is basically a non-root shell account that have massive storage and crappy CPU?
    If I backup family photos without encryption, would anyone peek into my garden?

Does it come preloaded with movies?

• @yoursunny said:

I can hook you up with ‘movies’, nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

Thanked by 2yoursunny lentro
  • Will stick to my Value100M 6TB 60TB fair use box I picked up from you guys last time. The bandwidth just doesn't make sense for these boxes.

• @PulsedMedia said:

ah, this is cool, thanks
    was looking at the welcome page, lol

• @yoursunny said:
    So this is basically a non-root shell account that have massive storage and crappy CPU?
    If I backup family photos without encryption, would anyone peek into my garden?

you can find other usernames in /home, by default, they have no access to your folder, but I don't think it's a good idea to keep your personal files without encryption there.
    a private seedbox with dedicated IP and nextcloud may suit you better

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • icebeer871icebeer871 Member
    edited November 2021

@yoursunny said: So this is basically a non-root shell account that have massive storage and crappy CPU? If I backup family photos without encryption, would anyone peek into my garden?

Pretty much. I have two servers with PM and that's how I use them. Heavily encrypted daily backup over rsync. Because I have an abundance of space, I can keep lots of daily & monthly versions. I wouldn't want this to be my only backup though, it's still fairly lowend.

Just to get an idea on the backup/disk speed you can expect - it's typically between 30 and 40 MByte/s off-peak hours at like 1am UTC. My source is a server with NVMe storage located in the Netherlands. More than good enough for my needs.

I wouldn't put or run Nextcloud on this though. On the one side, I wouldn't put unencrypted sensitive data on a shared server (yeah, you can encrypt with Nextcloud - but it's not recommended) and on the other side Nextcloud can be surprisingly I/O heavy.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Is rtorrent and rutorrent pre installed?
    Do you handle transfers from rutorrent (private trackers)?

• @PulsedMedia said:
    Bottomline is that people expect ruTorrent, but rTorrent is utter crap and has always been. Deluge is not much better. I have too little experience to talk about transmission or qbittorrent but general consensus seems that as backends both of these are vastly better.

Thoughts on Flood or other web interfaces? I feel like retrofitting ruTorrent, for other backends is more pain than it's worth, are people really that hooked on ruTorrent?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Ok, so you ARE using the storage of the seedboxes for Chia?

• So provider uses customer space and servers for farming Chia?