Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW 10Gbps Value Seedbox From Pulsed Media! V10G Series: UPTO 40TB of Storage WITH 10Gbps - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW 10Gbps Value Seedbox From Pulsed Media! V10G Series: UPTO 40TB of Storage WITH 10Gbps

Comments

• @default said:
    So provider uses customer space and servers for farming Chia?

The spare, unused space, yes.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @mikewazar said:

@default said:

Noisy provider? That's something new.

• @default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

The plots get purged/moved quickly so you're never left without the disk you pay for so I don't see the problem. It subsidises my service cost so why not let the host play farmer for some change.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @mikewazar said:

@default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

[...] so why not let the host play farmer for some change?

1. Ethics.
    2. There is Raspberry Pi 4 with low energy consumption for something like that. If $40 is too much, other Single Board Computers can also be used.
  • @default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

1. Ethics.
    2. There is Raspberry Pi 4 with low energy consumption for something like that. If $40 is too much, other Single Board Computers can also be used.

Ethics sure, but as I said I'm personally fine with unused hardware being used to offset my monthly bill. They're not hiding it lol

As for using a few percent CPU here and there on a shared service, I personally don't care as I haven't noticed it. It's a shitbox seedbox for chips pricing.

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia jixun
  • @mikewazar said:

@default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

1. Ethics.

Ethics sure, but as I said I'm personally fine with unused hardware being used to offset my monthly bill. They're not hiding it lol

As for using a few percent CPU here and there on a shared service, I personally don't care as I haven't noticed it. It's a shitbox seedbox for chips pricing.

I said this and now my box is down with 504 :-)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@mikewazar said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

@mikewazar said:

@default said:

1. Ethics.

Enjoy your chips. :smiley: These are healthy chips made with Chia.

Thanked by 1mikewazar
  • Done with this bs. Gonna ask for a refund. So far, I haven't seen download speed greater than 250mbit and mrfarmer hogging all I/O :lol:

• really cheap, but I really dare not buy your stuff,you guys don't even change the logo of your website.WHMCS?what the hell?

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

@K4Y5 said: mrfarmer hogging all I/O

Incorrect. It uses almost no I/O what-so-ever or barely any resources other than storage capacity. Learn what CHIA is. Don't get emotional, actually look what it is.

If that's your issue, you need to get a dedicated, you will ALWAYS have neighbours on a shared server, all of which will consume lots more resources than a chia harvester will

@louiejordan said: really cheap, but I really dare not buy your stuff,you guys don't even change the logo of your website.WHMCS?what the hell?

Lol, funny enough, you are the first one ever to mention that it's again defaulted back to WHMCS logo. Yeah, perhaps we should change that.

BTW; We used to run quite a lot of customization on WHMCS, but each update overwrites all the changes, and you have to manually redo all of them, do diffs on the previous version originals and then manually re-apply and verify they still work etc.

It's been about 12 years now since we opened seedbox sales and we own our own DC etc. so rest assured that we are no flyby etc. We actually still have customers from the very first days of sales being open.

@jmgcaguicla said: Thoughts on Flood or other web interfaces? I feel like retrofitting ruTorrent, for other backends is more pain than it's worth, are people really that hooked on ruTorrent?

Yes they are. It just works if your browser works, and reminds people of uTorrent etc.

@default said: So provider uses customer space and servers for farming Chia?

No we do not use customer space and servers for harvesting chia.
    We use spare unsold capacity for harvesting. It uses the empty capacity, and next to no performance at all.

It is a match made in heaven, performance for seedbox users, spare capacity gets used so the servers make revenue always.

People just get all emotional seeing chia_harvester process name in their hatred of cryptos in general.

You might want to chill and read up what Chia is.

If you do not like that there are other users on the server, you need to stick with dedis -- so you don't have to share anything at all in the slightest bit.

@icebeer871 said: on the other side Nextcloud can be surprisingly I/O heavy.

Interesting. A lot of people have been asking for this, and we've not really checked how much resources it consumes yet. Might be best reserved only for the Dragon/M10G series with their higher performance.

Thanked by 1nordmann

@mikewazar said:

We added additional checks for that, now should be just max 5 minutes lighttpd is restarted if it crashes. Could be faster tho -- or even triggered by nginx when 504 happens

@mikewazar said:

We added additional checks for that, now should be just max 5 minutes lighttpd is restarted if it crashes. Could be faster tho -- or even triggered by nginx when 504 happens

• @PulsedMedia said:
    People just get all emotional seeing chia_harvester process name in their hatred of cryptos in general.

Who are you to judge what other people think about crypto? Do you just assume what others think? It's a general rule with providers that a customer should not abuse a shared service. But here, the provider himself runs a mining operation, because that provider does not wish to separate his own laundry from customer's machine. If one day a simple bug is exploited in that piece of mining software, your clients will suffer, and you will invoke some lame excuse with lots of "blah blah blah".

Please admit it: you are too lazy to setup a single-board-computer with minimum power consumption and run your Chia mining operation from that, like many other Chia miners do nowadays. Instead, it seems any customer of Pulsed Media is therefore allowed to run mining software, because the provider himself publicly admitted this is accepted, by setting himself as a public standard.

So far when someone asked on LET about seedboxes, I pointed a finger to you. I shall no longer do that. You ain't worth a serious business. This is my personal opinion.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • why is there no option to pay through credit card? PayPal is not available in our country and i have no experience with cryptocurrencies.

• Hi,
    Is it possible or allowed to run jellyfin with V10G XS?

@default said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Who are you to judge what other people think about crypto? Do you just assume what others think? It's a general rule with providers that a customer should not abuse a shared service. But here, the provider himself runs a mining operation, because that provider does not wish to separate his own laundry from customer's machine. If one day a simple bug is exploited in that piece of mining software, your clients will suffer, and you will invoke some lame excuse with lots of "blah blah blah".

Please admit it: you are too lazy to setup a single-board-computer with minimum power consumption and run your Chia mining operation from that, like many other Chia miners do nowadays. Instead, it seems any customer of Pulsed Media is therefore allowed to run mining software, because the provider himself publicly admitted this is accepted, by setting himself as a public standard.

So far when someone asked on LET about seedboxes, I pointed a finger to you. I shall no longer do that. You ain't worth a serious business. This is my personal opinion.

This shows a complete disregard and misunderstanding of this from your behalf.

Idle resources, not abusive use.

Even idle rTorrent instance uses more CPU and potentially I/O

Server 1 (V10G, 4 seedbox users, 4 HDD):

mrfarmer   1278  0.0  0.0 191852 13264 pts/0    Sl+  Nov20   3:43 rtorrent
    mrfarmer   1401  0.5  0.0 6491032 64460 ?       Sl   17:25   1:08 chia_harvester
    mrfarmer   3415  0.0  0.0 384156 31912 ?        Sl   Nov20   0:32 chia_daemon

CPU time used is the last one before process name. rTorrent has used 3minutes 43seconds. Chia_daemon 32seconds during that time, albeit chia_harvester just restarted, a whole 1minute 8seconds has been used. At the moment of checking that it was using 0.5% of CPU, that is 0.5% of single core.

Server has several seedbox users on it, I/O read average is 53MiB/s, write average is 44MiB/s and utilization (ie % of time being active) is on average ~21.90%

On this server mrfarmer has ~36TiB of data, so generally speaking it's a bit on the "heavy" side --- for a chia harvester, a bit bigger index table and hits more often on the plots. New server afterall etc.

Server 2 (Dragon-R, 33 seedbox users, 36 HDD):

mrfarmer  21547  0.0  0.0 384844 47384 ?        Sl   21:07   0:00 chia_daemon
    mrfarmer  21930  0.7  0.0 22219580 72268 ?      Sl   21:08   0:06 chia_harvester
    mrfarmer   4306  0.3  0.0 194404 15160 pts/6    Sl+  Nov22   7:49 rtorrent

So these results seem to repeat.

Current server I/O read average is 1.79GiB/s, write average is 8MiB/s , utilization of ~66%
    Mrfarmer has ~38TiB of data.
    Server is doing ~11.88TiB of traffic for the day 100% seedbox users. Clearly mrfarmer has abused the server and ruined the performance for all of the users on the server.

We use that to also test the HDDs are working as expected, and for this launch we catched 3 servers with faulty drives AFTER regular QA process thanks to Chia plots being written and verified. Those would have been complete data losses for potentially ~20 to 35 users or so otherwise.

This allows us to under provision the machines, we could just throw 33% more customers on the server, risking race condition on resources instead. (Race condition -> Performance starts dropping because too much demand for performance)

So your suggestion is that we buy separate servers, separate HDDs for these, and ignore the match made in heaven? On seedbox servers add 33% more users, increase Your seedbox price by 50% at the go as well -- while you are potentially losing 33-67% of the performance available just for you? (67% loss of performance if race condition happens)

Who here is up for 33-67% less performance, at 50% higher price?

This has been running 6 months now, no one lost their minds over it. No one even noticed. As soon as a process name says "chia_harvester" people loose their minds.

You yourself said that RPi for 40$ would be enough to harvest. You are so concerned on a shared server for resources that even RPis worth of resources makes you angry?

I got news for you: On average server you have on general about 6-8 other users who use orders of magnitude more resources than a chia harvester instance. You seriously need to get a dedi if that level of use is your concern, while it subsidizes Your own service. Very little storage I/O is being used for that. I read that people were having hard time keeping their HDDs spinned up as so little I/O was required, and thus losing rewards because they had to wait for HDDs to spin up. That's mighty a lot of resource usage, certainly more than running parpar, ffmpeg, deluge @ 200MiBs downstream at the same time.

We know of a company who just built a new 18PiB (end user capacity) Ceph cluster, and tons of highest end new servers to offer highend VMs out of -- guess what they do with idle cycles? Harvest and Plot. No one is worried or complains about that. Infact, that is the very reason they built the cluster, use the idle cycles for Chia, and sell the performance to their VM customers.

It's actually very normal for VM providers to do all kinds of stuff for their own needs on the same VM cluster their customers are in. Why would they have to build and buy separate cluster for their own needs?

Chia harvesting, and running CPU miners for Monero, XMR is completely different thing.

Please look at the data, see upside what it gives you; V10G would have DEFINITIVELY been minimum 50% higher price otherwise. Just hours before launch it was decided we will go for the lower price point because the revenue of 'mrfarmer', leaving more performance per euro for seedbox users.

Many of the servers on V10G have been marked no provisioning after 33-67% provisioned, tho this has been manual process so a few got to 100%.

The benefits for seedbox end users takes time to roll out, but they are already happening. Just now about to add 8 new servers for V1000, load balance a few and mark the servers for 67% max provisioning. Many servers are already at 67% max, plenty of free allocateable storage, but we will not allocate them -- a year ago we would have. Performance would have taken a hit, but server revenue target would've been hit.

Last but not least, mrfarmer is technically a customer since early october (news will be about this during december), and this customer has petabytes of data. I believe it brings us more profit than all of V10G + V1000 series combined.

So perhaps we should just end V10G + V1000 and dedicate rest of the storage to this one customer too? Maybe also the 48 drive monster sized servers which are upcoming, hopefully ready for production before end of the year? Bought and paid for already, just waiting racking & software dev & QA.

See, there is always a flipside to the coin.
    I for one want to see what these 48 drive monsters can do as a seedbox if they pass the final SW dev + QA to be made into seedbox production servers. First time we will see monster I/O sized servers for entry/mid-range services. We already have top of the line 36 drive servers for Dragon-R, but these 48 drive monsters will be more budget orientated, and THAT IS special. Would not happen without "mrfarmer". 8 of these are being planned -- and all HW but some of the drives bought. We will be using old recycled 3-6TB platters on these to maximize IOPS, not storage. We more than 300 of these laying around. Last 1-2 of the units will be with 8TB after we run out of 3-6TB.

Even sooner than that there are these 12 drive servers for V10G & V1000. Again these would not happen without "mrfarmer", these will be RAID5 but since it's 12 drive it is only 8.33% capacity loss and we can bring it out for RAID0 pricings with the help of "mrfarmer". RAID0 12 drive would be no go, and RAID50 12drive would be no go either, but with the help of "mrfarmer", RAID5 12drive for V10G/V1000 is a go.

Already "mrfarmer" has resulted in us adding to-date about 30% storage, while only adding about 10% of users. We have about 30% more storage waiting to be installed. Hundreds upon hundreds of HDDs, already in stock to be racked within the next couple of months. Would've not happened unless we were essentially guaranteed to get revenue out of these.

Now we can just stop provisioning users to a new server if we see these users are heavy on the performance resources (IOPS, RAM, Bandwidth) and move on to next server without worries if we will get to profit from the last one.

If that's not a win-win-win situation, i really don't know what is.

@default what more proof or evidence you need?

Oh i know, we could set aside an server with 0 seedbox users, and gather long term statistics and make graphs from that. Thanks for the idea :) Also leave identical server with 0 users, no "mrfarmer" idling as comparison. That would provide some nice long term graphs to compare. I will put that on the list, just happen to got 10+ servers waiting to be put into the system, i'm sure we can spare a couple :)

Thanked by 2benj0x RapToN

@dokter said:
    Hi,
    Is it possible or allowed to run jellyfin with V10G XS?

Sure thing, go ahead :) Just be mindful of other users if you are going to transcode.

@naghmash said:
    why is there no option to pay through credit card? PayPal is not available in our country and i have no experience with cryptocurrencies.

So little demand, and crypto does the job better. It's very rare for people to ask for CC payments directly.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited November 2021

@yoursunny said:
    So this is basically a non-root shell account that have massive storage and crappy CPU?
    If I backup family photos without encryption, would anyone peek into my garden?

Does it come preloaded with movies?

I'd advise you to encrypt your storage at other providers aswell.

Thanked by 1mikewazar
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@PulsedMedia - thank you for the technical information.

However, you did not understand the point. You use the production server for personal use. It's about the principle of the thing, not about the technical capabilities or resource consumption. It simply unethical, from my perspective. Business and customers in one thing, personal fun and cryptocoin speculation is another thing.

But don't mind me, I shall stay away from your services. Good luck with your mining.

@default said:
    @PulsedMedia - thank you for the technical information.

However, you did not understand the point. You use the production server for personal use. It's about the principle of the thing, not about the technical capabilities or resource consumption. It simply unethical, from my perspective. Business and customers in one thing, personal fun and cryptocoin speculation is another thing.

But don't mind me, I shall stay away from your services. Good luck with your mining.

Yet lack of understanding and ignorance. It IS business.

It is not unethical either that a company uses their resources how they see is best for the business and their customers, or do you expect for us to put a dedicated fiber to every and single customer to every single targeted connection as well? Dedicated server 100% for every 3€/month customer too? It's the same thing, there is always contention of resources -- and best service is provided by those who can best leverage the resources available to them.

"mrfarmer" is just an another customer among all others at the end of the day, just one that uses barely any performance related resources. Infact, we have been contemplating the idea of making our chia harvester offers public.

Our actual customers will be super grateful over the long term for the effort we put in. We are already industry leading in terms of performance & capacity vs cost, by far. This will just further that lead even more.

@tr1cky said: I'd advise you to encrypt your storage at other providers aswell.

I'd say that goes without saying, even on dedis -- if the data is of any value.
    It's trivial to pipe dd to netcat/ssh tunnel to read everything what previous customer had on the drives if the DC does not properly wipe the drives before handing the dedi to next customer. Some data will be "lost", but vast majority will remain readable on the drives.

• Oof, several red flags in that big post. English speaking version of cociu.

Your attitude is all "you should be grateful this is subsidizing your service" and my reaction is "your business model relying on Chia is doomed and fucked".

This does affect how you load your servers. Having 100 servers, you could split all customers evenly and they'd experience better performance than if you loaded up each server one by one until reaching capacity. So then they'll experience worse average performance.

Anyway, it's definitely not as beneficial to the customer as you think and it's really only beneficial to you. If I was a customer that bought in before you started this, I'd feel like I lost a lot of value and nothing gained.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@PulsedMedia said:
    It is not unethical either that a company uses their resources how they see is best for the business and their customers [...]

Thank you for making it clear this is about you, not about about customers first.

"mrfarmer" is just an another customer among all others at the end of the day, just one that uses barely any performance related resources.

Thank you for your lie.

Our actual customers will be super grateful over the long term for the effort we put in. We are already industry leading in terms of performance & capacity vs cost, by far. This will just further that lead even more.

This is just your perspective. I absolutely do not agree with that statement.

Good luck with your business and with Chia speculation! Oh boy, you are going to need it. Cheers for another incoming popcorn drama. I can already see the titles.

Thank You for your opinions. @default @TimboJones
    Recommend you both stay with dedicated servers. There is always other customers on shared servers.

• @PulsedMedia said:
    Thank You for your opinions. @default @TimboJones
    Recommend you both stay with dedicated servers. There is always other customers on shared servers.

whoosh

Wait, are you unaware that you're on LET, that benchmarks the shit out of things and spends hours moving between sub $10 servers as a result of Geekbench scores?

How (over)loaded a typical AND worst case server is will be how you're evaluated. They will experience a lower average for you to maximize your chia farming.

Either you're hoping we wouldn't notice, or worse, you don't realize this yourself.

• @TimboJones said:
    Either you're hoping we wouldn't notice, or worse, you don't realize this yourself.

It's the second option. Let him, he's small. I will wait for an exploit on that Chia software, or some server vulnerability, which will expose all his clients, creating a "blah-blah-blah" popcorn drama. It's bound to happen, because he's just too comfortable in investing $40 on a Raspberry Pi to do his farming.

• @PulsedMedia said:
    We also need a developer long term for a plethora of projects and this would be something which almost guarantees you a full time job with us even if you are abroad.

Do you have any job listing? I'm a developer and competent sysadmin who could handle the transmission thing and other stuff for you depending on the job specs.

Bottomline is that people expect ruTorrent, but rTorrent is utter crap and has always been. Deluge is not much better. I have too little experience to talk about transmission or qbittorrent but general consensus seems that as backends both of these are vastly better.

As a daily user of transmission for almost a decade I can tell you it is vastly superior than most other options and very stable, when I got my service from you I was disappointed that transmission wasn't an option.

• @default said:

@TimboJones said:

It's the second option. Let him, he's small. I will wait for an exploit on that Chia software, or some server vulnerability, which will expose all his clients, creating a "blah-blah-blah" popcorn drama. It's bound to happen, because he's just too comfortable in investing $40 on a Raspberry Pi to do his farming.

Well, I wouldn't too concerned about the security aspect, it's just Linux ISO'S in 100% of customer data. I'm more concerned with people not getting their Linux ISO'S fast enough from heavier loaded servers.

• @Setsura said:
    As a daily user of transmission for almost a decade I can tell you it is vastly superior than most other options and very stable, when I got my service from you I was disappointed that transmission wasn't an option.

This is one of the reasons why I left, using Torrnado on my phone is so convenient. Also HTTPS wasn't turned on for my account.