Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡ - Page 299
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡

Comments

• ralfralf Member
    edited November 2021

@dzungbb said:
    you guys dont need the restock because @PulsedMedia is considering a better deal for you at page 300 :smiley:

Although it might be built using the platters from different broken drives held together with gaffa tape.

EDIT: Actually, that could be fun deal. The $1 until-the-disc-dies deal. Make it RAID0 across 5 drives for extra spice.

• @Nekki said: AFTERPARTY!

I feel kinda dead inside after all that serious stuff, maybe Nekki-chan can fix things up a bit?
    After-parties were supposed to be fun...

• @dzungbb said:
    you guys dont need the restock because @PulsedMedia is considering a better deal for you at page 300 :smiley:

kinda hard to have too many seedboxen, esp cheap slow ones you can move stuff from your fast servers onto for the longer term seed

• @ralf said:

@dzungbb said:

Although it might be built using the platters from different broken drives held together with gaffa tape.

EDIT: Actually, that could be fun deal. The $1 until-the-disc-dies deal.

haha. then his page will die before anyone can get that deal

• @ralf said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    For deb8 servers you can probably compile it from source regardless

I should probably have checked before I ignored all these deals, but I assumed that gcc etc wouldn't be available. So a seedbox can pretty much do anything that a non-privileged user account can do?

I still don't really need one, but it'll be interesting to know if my backup needs increase substantially.

gcc is available.
    It is essentially just a shell account, with some tools preconfigured.

Thanked by 2ralf mycosys
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@codelock said:
    @PulsedMedia is the included qbittorrent accessible outside your web interface? Like directly on a custom port , because last time I tried your service , I could get neither deluge or rutorrent to work with my sonarr or radarr setup

No, listens to 127.0.0.1 only. You need to setup ssh tunnel for outside connections. This is a security thing.

• mycosysmycosys Member
    edited November 2021

@Murv said:

@Nekki said: AFTERPARTY!

I feel kinda dead inside after all that serious stuff, maybe Nekki-chan can fix things up a bit?
    After-parties were supposed to be fun...

dont we all Murv, dont we all

@dzungbb said:

@kendid said:
    I don't even really know what it does or what is all included, but it was cheap!

you can consider it an online storage

with shell account and many data transfer / manipulation tools straight out of the box.
    ffmpeg is popular, i guess a lot of people re-encoding their stuff.
    VLC streaming straight via ssh mount works extremely well too. Emby & Jellyfin i hear too but manual install atm.

All kinds of stuff infact.

Thanked by 1dzungbb
  • @PulsedMedia is borg installed and kept up to date on your "seedboxes"?

@ralf said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    For deb8 servers you can probably compile it from source regardless

I should probably have checked before I ignored all these deals, but I assumed that gcc etc wouldn't be available. So a seedbox can pretty much do anything that a non-privileged user account can do?

I still don't really need one, but it'll be interesting to know if my backup needs increase substantially.

You got it right, gcc, make etc. build essentials installed too. so you can compile stuff.

rsync, scp, gpg, pigz, tar etc. all the usual linux goodies and a bit more :) pigz is good for compressing stuff multithreaded for those hurry application, just do a nice 19 for the process not to slow down others

• @PulsedMedia said:

@dzungbb said:

@kendid said:
    I don't even really know what it does or what is all included, but it was cheap!

with shell account and many data transfer / manipulation tools straight out of the box.
    VLC streaming straight via ssh mount works extremely well too. Emby & Jellyfin i hear too but manual install atm.

then do ya have something for the page 300?

@Samidare said:

@PulsedMedia said: For deb8 servers you can probably compile it from source regardless

Thank you both I'll try it later.
    I had an impression that it's not allowed to use another client.
    I'm new to seedbox.

for a long time that was the case, we have over the years gotten softer and softer with the limits, partly because rTorrent is abandonware now, partly because it just takes too much effort to maintain everything so that it works for everyone and partly because software for limiting resource usage is getting better every year.

Thanked by 1Samidare
  • looking foward to page 300

@dzungbb said:

who doesn't need to restock? :D

• @mycosys said: dont we all Murv, dont we all

Thanked by 1zxrlha

Spartaaaaa

• Go for 300!!!

edited November 2021

@ralf said:

@dzungbb said:

EDIT: Actually, that could be fun deal. The $1 until-the-disc-dies deal. Make it RAID0 across 5 drives for extra spice.

How about RAID0 across 48 drives to really make it a not russian but .... wait for it .... wait for it.... russian data roulette!

• pbxpbx Member
    edited November 2021

A problem is that isolation between users provided by linux is pretty crappy. Security-wise a KVM will provide more isolation. For encrypted backups it should be fine. I wouldn't use such a setup for important data.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • Yay!! 300..

• @Fritz said: Yay!! 300..

Not yet, bro

• 300!

• wait, is ffmpeg usage allowed on PulsedMedia seedboxes?!

@pbx said:
    @PulsedMedia is borg installed and kept up to date on your "seedboxes"?

nawh but we should def add it i think. As long as it doesn't take too much effort to maintain; ie. repo package exists which it seems to do for deb10 indeed :)

Consider it to be added within a few weeks. remind via a ticket if i got absent-minded and forgot lol

Thanked by 1pbx
  • gooooooooooo

• @PulsedMedia said:

Yeah, that bit surprises me because you could easily max out the CPU on a shared machine doing that. When I think of storage, I was expecting SFTP, a web front end, a torrent thingy and not much else.

Actually, one of my use cases for servers is running modified ffmpeg using not much drive space (don't ask), but probably too much CPU for a VPS with a fair use on a core, which why I like my KS-LE and KS-2 so much because nobody cares what I do to the CPU. When I wanted to run it on my Racknerd VPS for about 36 hours, I had a script that kept sending it SIGSTOP and SIGCONT every few seconds to keep my CPU use down under 40% so I wouldn't annoy anyone. At least, I assumed I had to. RN doesn't seem to say what the FUP actually is...

But anyway, I guess I wouldn't be popular running ffmpeg 24/7 on anyone's shared machine, so I'll keep it to my dedis and home machines for now.

• @PulsedMedia said: remind via a ticket

Not a customer, just curious.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

@dzungbb said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@dzungbb said:

@kendid said:

then do ya have something for the page 300?

Only thing more insatiable!

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Shoo! shoo! Gloomy clouds go away! My comrades need after-party deals!

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited November 2021

Almost there.

This discussion has been closed.