Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡ - Page 300
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡

Comments

• @PulsedMedia said: Only thing more insatiable!

OUR ONLY HOPE!

Thanked by 1vr10
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2021

image 300?

• MOAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• @ralf said: Racknerd VPS

@ralf said: But anyway, I guess I wouldn't be popular running ffmpeg 24/7 on anyone's shared machine, so I'll keep it to my dedis and home machines for now.

Well some providers let you use your CPU share 100%. But RN is some kind of Virmach clone, that's not the kind of provider you want to host your CPU intensive tasks with.

• to be in the 300

• Yeah, that bit surprises me because you could easily max out the CPU on a shared machine doing that. When I think of storage, I was expecting SFTP, a web front end, a torrent thingy and not much else.

if you happen to be uploading linux tutorial videos, it makes sense to only upload one format to the server on your typically slow home uplink and transcode on the server for multiple format/resolution uploads. Similar for downloads really. Some people live transcode and stream to devices these days.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • 300!

Thanked by 2ralf PulsedMedia
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@pbx said:
    A problem is that isolation between users provided by linux is pretty crappy. Security-wise a KVM will provide more isolation. For encrypted backups it should be fine. I wouldn't use such a setup for important data.

True on all that. But also it's a bit harder to make KVM with shared storage, shared IP etc. all doable, but requires extra config, extra failing parts, extra hardware, extra maintenance, leading up to a more expensive service.

All that being said, looking for solutions for better isolation in all regards. Just something which allows us to keep this individual servers method of maintenance instead of huge single points of failure etc.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • MurvMurv Member
    edited November 2021

WHAT'S IN STORE FOR US!?

• fanfan Veteran

300 it is.

• 300...OVER?

@klikli said:
    wait, is ffmpeg usage allowed on PulsedMedia seedboxes?!

Yes it is! Just be mindful.

Those who use ffmpeg seem to understand this very well, i don't recall a case where we had to intervene on ffmpeg usage :) that or we might've already done on the backend something to ensure that, and i just cannot recall. more than a decade of single software dev tends to do that lol

• @PulsedMedia said:
    i don't recall a case where we had to intervene on ffmpeg usage :)

Challenge accep....

Thanked by 2Murv PulsedMedia
  • 300!

• Thanked by 1ariq01
  • 301?

• Then we wait til the page 333

• Now, 10K comments?

• The party is over. No more deals. It's bed time now

• @dzungbb said: The party is over. No more deals. It's bed time now

There's always hope... (I think?)

@ralf said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    ffmpeg is popular, i guess a lot of people re-encoding their stuff.

Yeah, that bit surprises me because you could easily max out the CPU on a shared machine doing that. When I think of storage, I was expecting SFTP, a web front end, a torrent thingy and not much else.

Actually, one of my use cases for servers is running modified ffmpeg using not much drive space (don't ask), but probably too much CPU for a VPS with a fair use on a core, which why I like my KS-LE and KS-2 so much because nobody cares what I do to the CPU. When I wanted to run it on my Racknerd VPS for about 36 hours, I had a script that kept sending it SIGSTOP and SIGCONT every few seconds to keep my CPU use down under 40% so I wouldn't annoy anyone. At least, I assumed I had to. RN doesn't seem to say what the FUP actually is...

But anyway, I guess I wouldn't be popular running ffmpeg 24/7 on anyone's shared machine, so I'll keep it to my dedis and home machines for now.

seedboxes and CPU usage ... almost oxymoron. Guess why we keep having the now more than decade old opterons still in production, which does not even have hw accel for newest SSH ciphers and thus capped at ~1Gbps per core for SSH speeds?

Because typically SSH is the most demanding thing users run ... well apart from Deluge nowadays, but before we added Deluge SSH was #1 CPU consumer, even back on Deb8 older ciphers which consumed less CPU.

Yet the CPUs tend sit like 90-95% idle even today. Slightly increasing every year.

I guess it's time to start upgrading those 6core opterons regardless slowly, but that's happening naturally as servers start to fail.

BTW, Huge thanks on SIGSTOP, SIGCONT. I was just thinking about how to pause processes under Linux and could not remember at all how it was done, was just sure it can be done :)

Yea for heavy usage of ffmpeg dedi might be better suited, but it's fine as long as using nice 19 tbh.

Thanked by 1ralf

@ralf said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    i don't recall a case where we had to intervene on ffmpeg usage :)

Challenge accep....

damn what did i talk ourselves into now...? ;)

Thanked by 1ralf
  • Page 300 reached

• How about y'all send GIFs of your favorite waifu/husbando/waifbando for the after-party? I need more comrades here!

• @PulsedMedia said:

why do i still feel you have something that will surprise us soon?

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • 300 , no deals :s ?

• @Murv said:
    How about y'all send GIFs of your favorite waifu/husbando/waifbando for the after-party? I need more comrades here!

No GIF.

Thanked by 1Murv
This discussion has been closed.