Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions down? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions down?

Comments

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited April 2021

@jsg said:
    @cociu

As much as I'd like to see Ryzen based systems from you: Stop the crazy HostSolutions lottery!
    Get your stuff in order, make sure that everything runs fine and smooth at least for 2 weeks and all tickets and problems are resolved before offering any new products, no matter how nice they may be!

So much this. Stability needs to be prioritized over new services. You can have the best hardware, but have an unreliable network, and all that great gear is totally useless.

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • cociucociu Member

@William said: best ever, UPC.

just to inform you upc have1 yearof nonexistence

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited April 2021

@jsg said: Yeah, right, thousands of largely happy customers of HS are stupid idiots ...

1) I'm not the only person calling out HS in this thread. @Francisco, @William and others also did.

2) I never said the customers were idiots. I made an observation, a fairly valid one (considering the number of HostSolutions issue threads and complaints about the support) Don't take my words out of context. I merely said that eventually if he doesn't fix the stability issues, customers are going to leave. If I was him, I'd stop sales for a few weeks, go over all processes/equipment in use, figure out what's wrong with the infrastructure and support, fix it, then resume sales.

@jsg said: (Do I love HS and consider them a top-provider? Certainly not. But (a) I've seen far worse, and (b) the picture changes quite drastically once one looks at bang for the buck)

Bang for the buck doesn't matter if the service is down or slow for most of the time you have it.

Also, the only way HS gets worse than what's happening in this thread and others, is to deadpool.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2021

@SWN_Michael said:
    Bang for the buck doesn't matter

What a pile of bloody BS! Bang for the buck is the single most important factor for HS not only still existing but in fact growing.

Now one might add reasonable to even good connectivity (not sure yet, still testing), but all those years bang for the buck was the decisive factor.Certainly not their support nor their (usually trailing a bit behind the market) nodes.

• @jsg said:

@SWN_Michael said:

What a pile of bloody BS! Bang for the buck is the single most important factor for HS not only still existing but in fact growing.

Now one might add reasonable to even good connectivity (not sure yet, still testing), but all those years bang for the buck was the decisive factor.Certainly not their support nor their (usually trailing a bit behind the market) nodes.

How about you stop taking my clearly worded sentences out of context to fit your agenda.

I said: Bang for the buck doesn't matter if the service is down or slow for most of the time you have it. How is this statement not reasonable or logical. If something isn't fit for purpose, the cost doesn't matter in the real world. That's like saying a free service that never works is better than a reliable, functional paid service, because the free option is free.

• donkodonko Member

is ok to have 99999 consecutive hours of downtime if they cover uptime offered by the provider

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Livin' la vida low-end loca.

@SWN_Michael said:

@jsg said:

@SWN_Michael said:

How about you stop taking my clearly worded sentences out of context to fit your agenda.

I said: Bang for the buck doesn't matter if the service is down or slow for most of the time you have it. How is this statement not reasonable or logical. If something isn't fit for purpose, the cost doesn't matter in the real world. That's like saying a free service that never works is better than a reliable, functional paid service, because the free option is free.

You seem to not get it. Hostsolution's / @cociu's availability usually is north of 98% in months with major trouble (like now) and north of 99% and likely even north of 99.5% in months without major trouble.

THAT is the situation most users experience - and not "down or slow for most of the time". I happen to be a user (both a payed storage box and test access).

So the discussion is about, say 98.5% vs ... uhm, what? 99.9%? 99.99% 99.995% Maybe even 5 nines? What SLA is needed to stop your luxury bickering?

When I got my storage box I knew (from a friend who has boxes with HS since years) that I'll get probably about 99% availability. So what? Nobody can guarantee 100% and about 99% is 'good enough' for many tasks and many people.

Plus, not everybody lives in rich countries; For very many people the difference between $30/yr and $50/yr is important, even decisive and possibly even the difference between "I can have a VPS" and "I can't afford a VPS".

Plus context. We are not talking about serious business use I hope but about hobby use (or in fact in very many cases about idling).

Those are some factors. Besides, how else but bang for the buck do you explain thousands and thousands of customers, many of them renewing?

"service is down or slow for most of the time" - my a__, what a pile of BS! 'about 99% of the time working' is pretty much the opposite of what you said; it's 'nearly always up and working'. As for the "slow" part: everyone is free to get higher performance - at a significantly higher price of course.

• @jsg said:
    @cociu

As much as I'd like to see Ryzen based systems from you: Stop the crazy HostSolutions lottery!
    Get your stuff in order, make sure that everything runs fine and smooth at least for 2 weeks and all tickets and problems are resolved before offering any new products, no matter how nice they may be!

I agree. Stop spending additional money on better servers when your current ones aren't stable.

If you throw 10-20k on Ryzen servers, you will get SOME buyers, but all of your previous customers will decide to go with another company after all of the downtimes you've had.

Spend your money on making your current servers reliable and then factor in if it's worth going for Ryzen.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@cociu said: today all tikets will be clean

What do you mean with this statement? That all tickets will be replied, processed or even solved by today (=yesterday)?

In fact none of them is true. For example my ticket 373342 (re. IP being completely offline due to lack of connectivity between server and gateway) was opened one week ago but so far there has been no reaction at all.

@dfroe said:

@cociu said: today all tikets will be clean

What do you mean with this statement? That all tickets will be replied, processed or even solved by today (=yesterday)?

In fact none of them is true. For example my ticket 373342 (re. IP being completely offline due to lack of connectivity between server and gateway) was opened one week ago but so far there has been no reaction at all.

Sad, really sad. Mr. "tomorrow!! changed to Mr. "today!" ... but it's still empty statements.

@cociu you still have 1 week old tickets ... yet you talk about new products. Seriously? Come on, get your act together and think about the value of trust!

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited April 2021

@jsg said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@jsg said:

@SWN_Michael said:

You seem to not get it. Hostsolution's / @cociu's availability usually is north of 98% in months with major trouble (like now) and north of 99% and likely even north of 99.5% in months without major trouble.

THAT is the situation most users experience - and not "down or slow for most of the time". I happen to be a user (both a payed storage box and test access).

So the discussion is about, say 98.5% vs ... uhm, what? 99.9%? 99.99% 99.995% Maybe even 5 nines? What SLA is needed to stop your luxury bickering?

When I got my storage box I knew (from a friend who has boxes with HS since years) that I'll get probably about 99% availability. So what? Nobody can guarantee 100% and about 99% is 'good enough' for many tasks and many people.

Plus, not everybody lives in rich countries; For very many people the difference between $30/yr and $50/yr is important, even decisive and possibly even the difference between "I can have a VPS" and "I can't afford a VPS".

Plus context. We are not talking about serious business use I hope but about hobby use (or in fact in very many cases about idling).

Those are some factors. Besides, how else but bang for the buck do you explain thousands and thousands of customers, many of them renewing?

"service is down or slow for most of the time" - my a__, what a pile of BS! 'about 99% of the time working' is pretty much the opposite of what you said; it's 'nearly always up and working'. As for the "slow" part: everyone is free to get higher performance - at a significantly higher price of course.

To be fair they have far more nodes than just yours. Hence while yours isn't down or slow someone else's might be.

You're coming down so hard on everyone who has anything negative to say (tho you do that as well) but you're forgetting that it's all cause himself not someone else. When you order a service you expect some gratitude even in the form of support or somewhat decent service.

Thanked by 3fragpic sibaper donko

@serv_ee said:
    To be fair they have far more nodes than just yours. Hence while yours isn't down or slow someone else's might be.

You're coming down so hard on everyone who has anything negative to say (tho you do that as well) but you're forgetting that it's all cause himself not someone else. When you order a service you expect some gratitude even in the form of support or somewhat decent service.

I only "come down hard" on what I consider BS or group howling. Trust me, I'm not here to establish a HS fan club - and I think some of my posts demonstrate that clearly.

Plus, from what I've seen many here know that @cociu is Mr. "tomorrow!" and often keeps his promises only with massive delay - yet people buy and not rarely seem to be even frenetic about his offers. In other words, No, he is not always the cause; he is not responsible for peoples decisions.

Plus I see a somewhat bent and strange attitude here, as if anything south of an E5 v4 or a Zen were sh_it not to be touched with a 10 foot pole and as if anything with a SLA south of 99.9% were worthless crap.
    Keep in mind that there are plenty of people who have to approach a VPS purchase from a "how much can I afford?" attitude.

Finally what makes me defend him at least a bit is that I do not see a bad man or a scammer. Those would't get better connectivity from a more expensive carrier and give it away for free to their customers. What I see is a man who implements his good will poorly, poorly organized, and with his mind already at something else (probably a new product or deal).

And of course there's often the "too good a deal to resist" factor ... but the antidote to that would be to increase his prices (and his service and support quality) - which many do not want.

• Here's my final thought on this: It would be fine if it was shit support, but a solid product, but this is shit support combined with unreliable service which is obviously good. I also don't see @cociu as a scammer.. He really needs to figure out a way for him to stay on target. Once he does that, he'll have an amazing service. Fixing both support and product would be great, but if he fixes the product, that in of itself will fix support somewhat.

• To be honest when I ordered the 3 year plan for like 50$ I’m not really sure about the price but it was crazy cheap so I cannot complain with the downtime or the support.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

I am a happy camper. I kind of like @cociu for the effort and services (and sisters, but this is off-topic). The SLA may not be the best, as many of you know already, but they are good enough to get the job done (depending on the job and it's flexible uptime - where uptime is not extremely important).

The most of all, I appreciate HostSolutions for:

1. the fact that he tries to do this business in Romania (where corruption of politics is sky-high),
    2. they refused traffic mirroring to the corrupted Romanian Intelligence Service, even though this corrupted system sent police to their doors, creating 2 days of downtime in order to teach HostSolutions a small lesson.

So yeah. In my opinion this is a great value, or a great "bang for the buck" as @jsg said, even though that actual value may not be reflected in SLA, and even though I am actually paying with euros, not bucks.

• edited April 2021

@sandoz said:
    But why you use Cociu servers? Because of DMCA? If is because of DMCA you have several, I repeat SEVERAL Hostings providers with similar price. Here is some "cheap" providers that can replace
    Hostslick.com
    Alexhost.com - Moldova
    sibyl.li - Norway
    2x4.ru - Russia
    webcare360
    vsys.host
    HostSolutions - Romania

@sandoz, all of the above ignore DMCA equally? Or are some better at ignoring DMCA?

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@sandoz said:
    But why you use Cociu servers? Because of DMCA? If is because of DMCA you have several, I repeat SEVERAL Hostings providers with similar price. Here is some "cheap" providers that can replace
    Hostslick.com
    Alexhost.com - Moldova
    sibyl.li - Norway
    2x4.ru - Russia
    webcare360
    vsys.host
    HostSolutions - Romania

@sandoz, all of the above ignore DMCA equally? Or are some better at ignoring DMCA?

You ether ignore DMCA or you don’t there is no between.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • @SWN_Michael

What you're failing to realize is that most people on LET are aware of hostsolution's past track record of having downtime every once in a while. Something like 98-99% uptime in a month is nothing unusual, so I assume most people use the storage as something like a second/third backup or seed p2p or do something unimportant. I guess new users on LET would feel outraged, but majority of their customers were aware of the potential of downtime and that's why you don't see that many complaints.

@jsg

I agree with your thoughts on cociu making lots of promises. I remember the email where they talked about 99.97% sla in 2021. Just the 27 hours of downtime makes it 99.692% uptime according to cociu. But we aren't new to this sla stuff, the uptime matters more than whatever sla credits you get because sla credits are pointless.

Here's to hoping hostsolutions does maintain a 99.97% uptime after this incident...

Thanked by 1jsg
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited April 2021

Another intervention for kokio :D . One time I was critic of HS. Now i have storage server with 99.7 uptime. For a peanuts! Long live koki! Any try to "teach" hs is a waste of bits and time.

edited April 2021

@smallbibi said:
    @jsg

Just the 27 hours of downtime ...

Those I do not even hold against him. Yes they seem to not have done it in the smartest way, but major changes tend to come with trouble and sometimes even with nasty surprises. Plus all customers really get something out of it (like 10 Gb/s).

What really pi__es people off is tickets that don't get even a response, let alone a solution within say one day (remember @cocius "max. 15 min. Promised!") and ETAs that are utterly worthless because the real time of arrival is pretty much always much, much later.

• i ❤️ cociu

• @SirFoxy said:
    i ❤️ cociu

Get a room you two.

Thanked by 1kalipus
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

I agree with most of what @jsg has been saying. I have pretty good uptime over all and I thought it would be much worse then it has been based on reading the comments for years on LET about Host Solutions. For me it's been a dirt cheap secondary backup / command and control server for my other 26 VPS. Primary is with a top provider that very seldomly has issues, and who has good support. I have not needed the HS secondary in almost a year, although I would feel naked without one. When cociu gets IPv6 I may add it as a 4th Europe/West Asia DNS server.

tldr; i ❤️ cociu too.

• LeeLee Veteran

@SirFoxy said: i ❤️ cociu

Explains so much.

• EddingEdding Member
    edited May 2021

Well looks like the Chia farming has started..

This is bucssd3 right now

`fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 4.00 KB/s (1) 282.00 KB/s (4)
    Write 5.00 KB/s (1) 298.00 KB/s (4)
    Total 9.00 KB/s (2) 580.00 KB/s (8)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 1.26 MB/s (2) 3.27 MB/s (3)
    Write 1.37 MB/s (2) 3.42 MB/s (3)
    Total 2.63 MB/s (4) 6.69 MB/s (6)`

Server is unusable

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Edding said:
    Well looks like the Chia farming has started..

This is bucssd3 right now

`fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 4.00 KB/s (1) 282.00 KB/s (4)
    Write 5.00 KB/s (1) 298.00 KB/s (4)
    Total 9.00 KB/s (2) 580.00 KB/s (8)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 1.26 MB/s (2) 3.27 MB/s (3)
    Write 1.37 MB/s (2) 3.42 MB/s (3)
    Total 2.63 MB/s (4) 6.69 MB/s (6)`

Server is unusable

WOW

• lukgthlukgth Member

Meanwhile my VPS is down. Went to the proxmox web ui and saw "running (io-error)". I'm guessing the node ran out of space which is pretty funny imo. Ticket made 4 days ago, no response yet.

• ps20090ps20090 Member

I thought cociu was pronounced as ~cock-sucku~

Thanked by 1kalipus
  • Ryzen when