Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions down? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions down?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@glacier32 said: you cannot continue to ignore outstanding tickets. Ignoring tickets for this length of time is unacceptable.

You have 1st hand experience that is what they are doing though.

@deank said: This thread will bring him more customers than he will lose.

It will eventually topple though.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Thus, the end is nigh.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • @Lee said:

@glacier32 said: you cannot continue to ignore outstanding tickets. Ignoring tickets for this length of time is unacceptable.

You have 1st hand experience that is what they are doing though.

I do, and I am saying that practice cannot feasibly continue if he wishes to keep his existing customers.

• On a side note , the website is still offline for me with cloudfare error
    Is it so for others ?

• @kuduku said:
    On a side note , the website is still offline for me with cloudfare error
    Is it so for others ?

Yes

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited April 2021

This is proof of something I've been saying for awhile. Hyper low pricing isn't possible forever. A few loss-leaders every so often are one thing, but you can't do it forever.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Actually, in HS' case, they've been around for a long time.

Hyper low pricing works in few cases like cociu where he probably runs ghetto setup. Just don't expect fancy 99.666% uptime.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • mike1smike1s Member
    edited April 2021

@deank said:
    Actually, in HS' case, they've been around for a long time.

Hyper low pricing works in few cases like cociu where he probably runs ghetto setup. Just don't expect fancy 99.666% uptime.

99.9% isn't hard, even for a budget provider, at least it shouldn't be.

• Side question
    Who watched deadpool movie?

• @Jorbox said:
    Side question
    Who watched deadpool movie?

really good movie

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2021

@SWN_Michael said:
    This is proof of something I've been saying for awhile. Hyper low pricing isn't possible forever. A few loss-leaders every so often are one thing, but you can't do it forever.

Uhum ... so upgrading all racks to 40 or even 100 Gb/s, all nodes to 10 Gb/s plus the carrier backend from some cheap connectivity to 100+ Gb/s Telia ... indicates failure to you?

Sorry, but to me that sounds like you have a problem, not HostSolutions.

As for HostSolutions network:

I'm running benchmarks since 2 months or so and I can clearly see concrete improvements, some quite significant. That said I unfortunately also see quite a few hiccups and (still, I presume) weak points, but that's not surprising with a cheap provider.
    FWIW: I'm also tracking some not at all cheap providers and even they have weak spots.

Based on my experience I'd say the decisive points are whether a provider is willing (and capable) to invest and whether he listens to and seriously considers feedback.

I'm currently (and since a while) working on a "provider shoot out" comparing processor/memory, disk, and network/connectivity, all put into relation with cost - and from what I see so far there will be some surprises. Hint: HostSolutions seems to not be the loser ...
    (and yes, I'll publish it once I'm done)

• @jsg said:

@SWN_Michael said:

Uhum ... so upgrading all racks to 40 or even 100 Gb/s, all nodes to 10 Gb/s plus the carrier backend from some cheap connectivity to 100+ Gb/s Telia ... indicates failure to you?

Sorry, but to me that sounds like you have a problem, not HostSolutions.

As for HostSolutions network:

I'm running benchmarks since 2 months or so and I can clearly see concrete improvements, some quite significant. That said I unfortunately also see quite a few hiccups and (still, I presume) weak points, but that's not surprising with a cheap provider.
    FWIW: I'm also tracking some not at all cheap providers and even they have weak spots.

Based on my experience I'd say the decisive points are whether a provider is willing (and capable) to invest and whether he listens to and seriously considers feedback.

I'm currently (and since a while) working on a "provider shoot out" comparing processor/memory, disk, and network/connectivity, all put into relation with cost - and from what I see so far there will be some surprises. Hint: HostSolutions seems to not be the loser ...
    (and yes, I'll publish it once I'm done)

Upgrades mean nothing if the service isn't stable, nodes are overloaded all to hell, support is terrible.... Focus on support, and basic stability before speed imo.

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited April 2021

@SWN_Michael said:
    Upgrades mean nothing if the service isn't stable, nodes are overloaded all to hell, support is terrible.... Focus on support, and basic stability before speed imo.

Yeah, right, thousands of largely happy customers of HS are stupid idiots ...
    Hey, @cociu started from pretty much nothing and today he's running an operation that is among the bigger ones at LET, so I guess he can't be all wrong.

Do you have a VPS with HostSolutions - plus concrete and objective data?

I do (long term test machines).

And I do have a friend and colleague who has been a customer from early on and whose information I can trust. What he tells me (and what I can confirm from my, granted rather short, experience with HS) is that their support was very sh_tty and pretty much playing a lottery during the first years, that their nodes were rather old and that they were overbooked and that their network was mediocre - BUT that meanwhile their support has dramatically improved as has their operations and recently their nodes and network are significantly better too. 26xx v4 10 Gb/s nodes routed via Telia certainly is not something to be ashamed of.

And I have plenty of data, 1000+ result sets which inform my view.
    (Do I love HS and consider them a top-provider? Certainly not. But (a) I've seen far worse, and (b) the picture changes quite drastically once one looks at bang for the buck)

Btw, how about giving me free access to a VPS from you?

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited April 2021

@jsg said:

Sure, send me a DM and we'll make it happen. I'll be honest, my nodes aren't state of the art, but we're getting there. Very close to deploying IPv6.

My comments were in regards to all the downtime/poor support posts, including this thread. I haven't used HostSolutions in awhile, but know people who've had issues with them recently, and have seen plenty of folks having issues with their services.

• @jsg said:

@SWN_Michael said:

Yeah, right, thousands of largely happy customers of HS are stupid idiots ...
    Hey, @cociu started from pretty much nothing and today he's running an operation that is among the bigger ones at LET, so I guess he can't be all wrong.

Do you have a VPS with HostSolutions - plus concrete and objective data?

I do (long term test machines).

And I do have a friend and colleague who has been a customer from early on and whose information I can trust. What he tells me (and what I can confirm from my, granted rather short, experience with HS) is that their support was very sh_tty and pretty much playing a lottery during the first years, that their nodes were rather old and that they were overbooked and that their network was mediocre - BUT that meanwhile their support has dramatically improved as has their operations and recently their nodes and network are significantly better too. 26xx v4 10 Gb/s nodes routed via Telia certainly is not something to be ashamed of.

And I have plenty of data, 1000+ result sets which inform my view.
    (Do I love HS and consider them a top-provider? Certainly not. But (a) I've seen far worse, and (b) the picture changes quite drastically once one looks at bang for the buck)

So all of that makes it fine not answering customers tickets for 19 DAYS?

I can't care less if he is busy with upgrading the network, that's his problem, in the end I'm still a customer and expect even some sort of an reply.

• jsg said:

smooth

@serv_ee said:
    So all of that makes it fine not answering customers tickets for 19 DAYS?

No, pretty much nothing makes that OK.

I can't care less if he is busy with upgrading the network, that's his problem, in the end I'm still a customer and expect even some sort of an reply.

Of course. Letting a customer wait even one full day also contradicts @cociu's own announcements here.

But then my point wasn't "everything is always great with HostSolutions", my point was (a) Having housands of mostly happy customers, in part for multiple years, doesn't suggest that HS is a total failure, and (b) my data do not support the assertion that HostSolutions is a failure.

That said, again, at least reasonable support is an absolute must and I'm as tired as you and others wrt serially unkept promises and "tomorrow" being days and even weeks.

edited April 2021

@SWN_Michael said:

@jsg said:

Sure, send me a DM and we'll make it happen. I'll be honest, my nodes aren't state of the art, but we're getting there. Very close to deploying IPv6.

My comments were in regards to all the downtime/poor support posts, including this thread. I haven't used HostSolutions in awhile, but know people who've had issues with them recently, and have seen plenty of folks having issues with their services.

If you want me to do a benchmark and review a VPS from you I'll gladly do it (just PM me). But I'd suggest to wait until you "are there" or closer to it - and picking on colleagues doesn't accelerate the process to "being there".

• @jsg
    Have you noticed all the lies in these years to?

@telimp said:
    @jsg
    Have you noticed all the lies in these years to?

I wont guess what you are meaning (what lies? Whose lies?). Ask clearly and I'll be happy to respond.

• Have you noticed all the lies from @cociu in these years to?

edited April 2021

@telimp said:
    Have you noticed all the lies from @cociu in these years to?

I can only guess but I think it's not lies but rather a lack of tech know-how (making him depend on his tech staffs statements) and a "selling! selling! selling! and growing the business!" attitude combined with let's call it almost unlimited optimism.

But at the end of the day it p_sses people off just like lies and if I were asked for advice by @cociu my most urgent one would be "you MUST keep your word, so be much more careful with promises and be really sure that you can keep them - or else keep your mouth shut!"

Just look at @seriesn / NexusBytes who are even younger than HostSolutions but are already considered a top provider. I might be wrong but I guess the major factor is not in the nodes or the networks but in the fact that NB's support is really, really great and that @seriesn would rather bite his own finger than not keeping a promise. When seriesn says 'A' then it is 'A' and you can rely on that, plus he doesn't just talk about transparency but really offers it.
    If cociu would reach even just half of that level he'd be unbeatable I think.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • since yesterday evening my vps on bucssd3 lost connectivity.
    according to proxmox its still running but cant connect and proxmox also doenst get any statictics about I/O etc pp.
    Dont know if thats bcs of upgrades or should i try a reboot :smile:

• somehow I enjoying this drama

• My VPS is still down, no answer to my ticket or PM.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Seems like it's getting "better"...

Bild bildschirmfotovom202194k76.png auf abload.de

• afnafn Member
    edited April 2021

@deank said:
    Real bottom line.

This thread will bring him more customers than he will lose.

Basically that's the business model here, you make crazy offers with yearly payment, so you get 1 full year covered, people get mad, do some upgrades, announce new promo, get new customers, lose old ones as they won't renew, get another new year covered, repeat.

To be honest, the network when I tested their services wasn't bad, but support has always been bad and never really improved, but again you pay almost nothing (usually 4-6€/month for like few TB of storage or crazy traffic ).

Upgrading the network is a great step and a good selling point. When people buy they look at speed and storage they don't look at support... and I am willing to accept all the issues they have now, but the next step must be improving support, or to be more precise, add support, since it doesn't even exist.

So basically one should see this as a gamble, you either win or lose, and expect 70% usability. So for a 70€/year, consider it 10/month, still not a bad deal.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @afn said: So basically one should see this as a gamble, you either win or lose, and expect 70% usability. So for a 70€/year, consider it 10/month, still not a bad deal.

This is a server, so people do expect a certain level of uptime.
    Maybe cociu should run an "Amazon Glacier" type service which has storage with long restoration times, and that would fit with the downtime that he has.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@brueggus said: Seems like it's getting "better"...

At least there are parts of a line, you lucky one. :)
    One of my IPs in the 188.x subnet is still offline. Connection works between the internet and the .1 gateway of the subnet but doesn't between the server and gateway, so parts of their local network are still under construction.

I opened a high piority ticket without any bumps last week, but well, so far it's just one week and thus well within LowEndSLA I'd guess. :)

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • afnafn Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@afn said: So basically one should see this as a gamble, you either win or lose, and expect 70% usability. So for a 70€/year, consider it 10/month, still not a bad deal.

This is a server, so people do expect a certain level of uptime.
    Maybe cociu should run an "Amazon Glacier" type service which has storage with long restoration times, and that would fit with the downtime that he has.

I totally agree, but people need to understand you want a "server", but the price you're paying is not that of a server. People need to understand this before they order, this kind of service is usually not the kind of service that most people need, they just get because the price is tempting, but they really shouldn't. Too good to be true things, are a myth. Anyone who want a reasonable service for production or for clients should never go with HS. In fact, I have always considered them as backup solution, and they should never be considered for anything more serious.

Thanked by 2yoursunny mike1s