Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

1131415161719»

Comments

• Seems like OVH also didn't have a disaster recovery plan, just like their customers.

• @yoursunny said:

This dude hard-coded an IP he doesn't own into device firmware.
    This is why you should either buy IP (as in, get the range assigned to you by RIPE) or use a DNS name.

Nevertheless, when his company deadpools and the devices become expensive paperweights, he would blame it on OVH instead of his own incompetence.

Wow, not even a Failover IP it seems

• Jason18Jason18 Member
    edited March 2021

Did anyone receive any details about how refund is gonna be handled?

Last email i have is from 13.03.2021:

"We will get back to you in a few days to inform you about the conditions for receiving this service free of charge."

• FalzoFalzo Member

@stevewatson301 said:
    Seems like OVH also didn't have a disaster recovery plan, just like their customers.

what makes you think that? it's not like they would be sitting around waiting for others to solve their problems. or complaining about others not having made backups for them or complaining about others not working fast enough and so on...
    but that is what that part of their customers you are referring do.

and for OVHs DRP - they posted each and every planned step including an ETA quite early in the process. they were able to activate employees over night as well as spare hardware and whatnot. still you cannot just flip a switch and be back to normal.
    and that is anyway not how DRPs are supposed to work - it should be obvious enough that a disaster is exactly that. a disaster, a worst case. not just a bit of downtime that's gonna be solved after a few hours or days.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

@yoursunny said:

I've seen this happen way too often. People hard code IPs they don't even own (and sometimes the provider they're using doesn't even own, for example a VPS provider that rents servers and IPs rather than owning them) rather than using DNS. I'm not sure why... Even the most basic embedded devices/platforms usually have some sort of DNS client.

On the other hand, I've had the same IP with BuyVM for nearly ten years now and I'm sure I've hard coded it in some places over the years, so I'm kinda scared of having to track everything down if/when I move that VPS to another provider (as I didn't track things as thoroughly as I do now).

• @Daniel15 said:

@yoursunny said:

I've seen this happen way too often. People hard code IPs they don't even own (and sometimes the provider they're using doesn't even own, for example a VPS provider that rents servers and IPs rather than owning them) rather than using DNS. I'm not sure why... Even the most basic embedded devices/platforms usually have some sort of DNS client.

On the other hand, I've had the same IP with BuyVM for nearly ten years now and I'm sure I've hard coded it in some places over the years, so I'm kinda scared of having to track everything down if/when I move that VPS to another provider (as I didn't track things as thoroughly as I do now).

It's usually done so it connects even without DNS configured. But then they hardcore a DNS like Google or the 4.2.2.2's of the world to solve that in a much better way.

• @TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:

@yoursunny said:

It's usually done so it connects even without DNS configured. But then they hardcore a DNS like Google or the 4.2.2.2's of the world to solve that in a much better way.

Don't these devices usually get their network configuration using DHCP, or SLAAC + RA (RFC5006) for IPv6? If they're using DHCP, that'll provide the DNS server addresses too. If they're not using DHCP, someone manually configuring the IP should also know to configure the DNS.

• @Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:

@yoursunny said:

If they're not using DHCP, someone manually configuring the IP should also know to configure the DNS.

What if it's a backdoor? What is the guy's business or product?

Ultimately, unless you need NTP (which can also get a harcoded IP), there's many devices which don't otherwise need DNS services and they turn it off to save resources.

• @TimboJones said: there's many devices which don't otherwise need DNS services and they turn it off to save resources

Does disabling DNS lookups actually save many resources? Are there even libc implementations that don't have getaddrinfo given it's a standard POSIX function?

• @Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: there's many devices which don't otherwise need DNS services and they turn it off to save resources

Does disabling DNS lookups actually save many resources? Are there even libc implementations that don't have getaddrinfo given it's a standard POSIX function?

I don't know, I'm thinking bare metal devices, not Linux ones.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

FWIW: I know of a provider who offered optional "DDOS-protection" and used OVH (GRE tunnel) for that. I know it because I have such a VPS and the "protected" IP is dead now.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    FWIW: I know of a provider who offered optional "DDOS-protection" and used OVH (GRE tunnel) for that. I know it because I have such a VPS and the "protected" IP is dead now.

They have service for this: https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/network-security/ovhcloud-connect/

Thanked by 2webcraft jsg
  • I wonder how many chinese mjj PayPal disputes were opened...

• @Jason18 said:
    Did anyone receive any details about how refund is gonna be handled?

No. I'm still waiting.

• Do you guys know if it is possible to use the "upgrade VPS" option to switch from SBG to GRA? I want to keep the current plan which is no longer in the market or upgrade the current plan to another off market plan which offers more resources for less. Not sure if this can be done at all without any manual intervention and it doesn't seems there is any human to talk if you are on the "standard" support plan.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2021

Pictures!

https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/status/1374775109148368901

Thanked by 2Falzo webcraft
  • Dear Customer,

In accordance with the announcement of our 3 or 6 month free offer, we confirm that you benefit from commercial measures for your affected services located in Strasbourg (SBG).

For now, a credit* equivalent to the total amount for these services for the month of March 2021 will be issued this week and will be visible in your Control Panel. This credit is included in the communicated free offer, and no action is required on your part to obtain it.

In addition, in mid-April you will benefit from additional commercial measures for which the details will be specified in a future e-mail.

• In accordance with accounting rules, the issuance of this credit note allows you to cancel your March 2021 billing for the affected service(s), without deleting the accounting entry.
  • xaocxaoc Member

Hmm, i've still no clue on how to proceed in order to restore teh darn VM. 🤣 Like i still want SBG and i don't want to order a new thingy, can't they just spawn a VM and get it where it needs to go without me actually doing anything?? I want the same IPs and shiz... Ugh. -_-

• lowdodlowdod Member
    edited March 2021

Hey, thinking of this approach, one question comes to my mind - what do you do about sql databases, how are you sure that in time of replication some table files are not appearing messed at the destination (if at the same time the sql server writes to it). Thanks

Bacula & ZFS is not comparable as ZFS has way more users starting from Data Hoarders with Free Nas, Rsync.net, Hetzner storage boxes and Other big biz... (Open ZFS I mean, non open one is hoarded by Oracle)

Can bug happens? Yes it can .... As it happens as happens 6 years ago... https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/4050

Can a bug happens before the community finds it and simultaneously in same moment the main server burns , the hot spare got broken file (not entire one file system but a file) by a zfs bug the cold storage (could be affected with the exact the exact same file) and on top of that regular rsync jetbackup can be failed in exact same moment

Yes It can...

But then it will be act of God and will be very hard to sue them and prove negligence from your 2.95/mo shared hosting provider if they take all that steps to protect your data

• xaocxaoc Member

So, like, they gave me one month credit, my VM was paid 'till September, dafuq am i to do with said credit? 🤣 #unfriend #mylifeisovah

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@xaoc said:
    So, like, they gave me one month credit, my VM was paid 'till September, dafuq am i to do with said credit? 🤣 #unfriend #mylifeisovah

Francisco

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@xaoc said: #mylifeisovh

corrected that for you.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited March 2021

@lowdod said:
    Hey, thinking of this approach, one question comes to my mind - what do you do about sql databases, how are you sure that in time of replication some table files are not appearing messed at the destination (if at the same time the sql server writes to it). Thanks

Bacula & ZFS is not comparable as ZFS has way more users starting from Data Hoarders with Free Nas, Rsync.net, Hetzner storage boxes and Other big biz... (Open ZFS I mean, non open one is hoarded by Oracle)

Can bug happens? Yes it can .... As it happens as happens 6 years ago... https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/4050

Can a bug happens before the community finds it and simultaneously in same moment the main server burns , the hot spare got broken file (not entire one file system but a file) by a zfs bug the cold storage (could be affected with the exact the exact same file) and on top of that regular rsync jetbackup can be failed in exact same moment

Yes It can...

But then it will be act of God and will be very hard to sue them and prove negligence from your 2.95/mo shared hosting provider if they take all that steps to protect your data

Guest agent freezes OS for part of a second in one point where all writes are completed then unfreeze it and continue if you do not use guest agent that can you mentioned can happened + ZFS is CoW (Copy on Write) file system it do not overwrite but copy in a new place writes and then report write completed

• @spammy said:
    Do you guys know if it is possible to use the "upgrade VPS" option to switch from SBG to GRA? I want to keep the current plan which is no longer in the market or upgrade the current plan to another off market plan which offers more resources for less. Not sure if this can be done at all without any manual intervention and it doesn't seems there is any human to talk if you are on the "standard" support plan.

Pretty incredible things happened today! My VPS which was marked as "unrecoverable" came online after down for 4 weeks, and all the data are still there so no set up is required! Everything was the same as before, including IPs, even my failover IPs are still bind to that box.

No email, nothing, I installed a uptime monitor on that box which I forgot to delete and got an email to tell me the box came up again, I thought it was someone else signed up for another box which happened to use my old IP, but nope, looks like they got my box up and running again.

So if you have had a VPS which was marked "unrecoverable", don't give up, it might come back up (of course don't know what's the probability of that, I might have just got lucky!)

Thanked by 1pbx
  • xaocxaoc Member

@spammy did you have a backup option with them? Cause that might be the reason of your data still being there, unless they "backed up" people's VMs without their knowledge. :D

• xaocxaoc Member

So, like, i got an email with the details of a fresh servO but i'm having a bit of an issue with them failover ips, added them to the VM as usual but no ping/response nor any connectivity. Anyone else with the same issue? I'm thinking that some cable needs plugging or maybe some technician. xD

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited April 2021

@xaoc said: So, like, i got an email with the details of a fresh servO but i'm having a bit of an issue with them failover ips, added them to the VM as usual but no ping/response nor any connectivity. Anyone else with the same issue? I'm thinking that some cable needs plugging or maybe some technician. xD

You made me boot the server and configure netplan. Can confirm - everything dead, ends in *.rbx-g2-nc5.fr.eu rather than *.sbg-g2-nc5.fr.eu - not routed by OVH.
    FUN :D

• xaocxaoc Member

@JabJab said:

@xaoc said: So, like, i got an email with the details of a fresh servO but i'm having a bit of an issue with them failover ips, added them to the VM as usual but no ping/response nor any connectivity. Anyone else with the same issue? I'm thinking that some cable needs plugging or maybe some technician. xD

You made me boot the server and configure netplan. Can confirm - everything dead, ends in *.rbx-g2-nc5.fr.eu rather than *.sbg-g2-nc5.fr.eu - not routed by OVH.
    FUN :D

Oh well, some technician defo needs plugging then. ;)

• @yoursunny said:

This is why you should either buy IP (as in, get the range assigned to you by RIPE) or use a DNS name.

Nevertheless, when his company deadpools and the devices become expensive paperweights, he would blame it on OVH instead of his own incompetence.

What is his company and what devices he sells? lol.

Sounds like a disaster to anyone that bought his shit.