Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited March 2021

@xx00xx said:
    encrochat was hosted at ovh ^^

who?

• @xaoc said:
    who?

biggest "crime" phone network world wide https://www.vice.com/en/article/889vwk/sinaloa-cartel-used-encrypted-phone-network-hacked-by-police-fbi-document-says

cartel's, the mocro mafia, ndrangheta, biker clubs and every other crime organisation had used encrochat. just google encrochat and see how many people where busted. maybe the fire wasn't some technical failure

after the "hack" they switched to skyecc, but they where also hacked ;) parts of the skyecc network where hosted at incloudibly.

now look who had an outage after the hack was published https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/170320/incloudibly-outage/p1

Thanked by 2xaoc TimboJones
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I dropped my landline home phone years ago due to stupid amount of spam calls.

I was basically paying 45 CAD a month to receive spam, so I said JarLard it! and quit the line.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited March 2021

@deank said:
    I dropped my landline home phone years ago due to stupid amount of spam calls.

I was basically paying 45 CAD a month to receive spam, so I said JarLard it! and quit the line.

If you jarlarded your phone, how you order a pizza if no internet is around?

I have two types of internet at home.

The primary is fiber. The secondary is 4G. 4G never goes out (well almost never) in blackouts, and I have several 300Wh power stations at home. The 4G is on a pay-as-you-go plan.

Then there are cellphones.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@yoursunny said:
    "re-delete" and "destroy" mean the same:

No. Deletion targets content, Destruction targets container.

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb
    ```

I run this when I need to return a disk to the supplier.

Good luck trying this with some ten thousand disks in a smoldering and partly melt (e.g. plastic) pile.

• https://streamable.com/ookaf9 source was pr0gramm, but i wasn't sure if linking is allowed. they talk about the biggest seizure of cocaine in one shippment in europe ever (16 tons) and how it's maybe related to the ovh burning ^^

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2021

@xx00xx English translation?

• @TimboJones said:
    It's perfectly valid to prevent damaged hard drives from being sent to the recyclers and then had their data read (and information misused).

It is a potential concern if you have highly sensitive data. But if you have highly sensitive data on drives that are not fully encrypted with off-site keys then you have failed in due diligence, and if the data has been properly protected by the server's renter then the issue is no longer a concern.

Furthermore (and this isn't an issue specific to OVH or the current circumstances) unless you are colocating your own kit rather than renting servers/VMs then the drives are not yours and (unless there are specific statements to the contrary in your contract) you have no control (or right to try assert control) over what happens to them if you have them swapped out (for upgrade or replacement due to age/failure) or you stop using the service. If using VMs or cloud storage then you have even less control - drives could be swapped out, or your data moved to other devices without a full wipe at source, at any time, without you noticing. Full drive/filesystem encryption is the only real protection if your data is that important to keep secret.

Anyway, if the drives from the fire are sent to recyclers the chance of them directly being useable as drives again is small enough that it isn't worth trying - they'd more likely be recycled along with the other kit in the physical sense (extract the useful metals & "rare earth" minerals for reuse).

• @yoursunny said:
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb
    I run this when I need to return a disk to the supplier.

Or you could encrypt the drives from the start and you don't need to, so there isn't a problem if the drive simply stops responding so you can't wipe it.

Though if you do suspect someone might care enough to try read your old data off a drive, after wiping with random or zero data (or just deleting the encryption keys) run another sweep filling it cat pictures and give them a cute treat. Or shock images if you are less nice. Or the tank man images/videos if being even less nice and sending the drive to a Chinese entity...

• layclayc Member

@xx00xx said:
    encrochat was hosted at ovh ^^

Enchrochat is long gone but they just busted their successor Sky ECC a day or two before OVH SBG burned down. Coincidence?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/mar/10/police-raids-across-europe-after-encrypted-phone-network-shut-down

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Our DCs' alarm systems have a direct connection to local fire and rescue coordination centers. Read more at https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/rechenzentrum/ under the heading 'Fire protection'.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@serv_ee said:
    @Hetzner_OL In light of this can you maybe shed some light what measures you have in place for such a thing?

Our DCs' alarm systems also have a direct connection to local local fire and rescue coordination centers. Read more at https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/rechenzentrum/ under the heading 'Fire protection'.

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Our DCs' alarm systems also have a direct connection to local local fire and rescue coordination centers. Read more at https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/rechenzentrum/ under the heading 'Fire protection'.

Oh, please, stop the "direct connection to local local fire and rescue coordination centers" nonsense! For one it's quite standard to have detectors connected plus, and more importantly, what's the fire brigade going to do? Splash water all over the racks? I don't think so. Their job (in that case) is to prevent the fire from spreading, i.e. they spray water on the building, not in the DC. And for that it makes little difference whether they arrive in 5 min or in 10 min.

What's far more interesting and noteworthy is that you have fire extinguishers available in each and every DC hall as well as the diverse prevention measures.

The difference between fire extinguishers being available everywhere (or even an automatic system) and not having them is what the OVH clusterf_ck demonstrated clearly and painfully.

Thanked by 2yoursunny 0xbkt
  • @jsg They do have better protection against fires, just read the link (assuming they're not lying outright)

@stevewatson301 said:
    @jsg They do have better protection against fires, just read the link (assuming they're not lying outright)

Misunderstanding. I do not doubt that @Hetzner_OL has much better fire protection. My point was that they should stop to brag about the "direct line to emergency services" nonsense.
    The really important thing is that at Hetzner they have the means (extinguishers) available to fight a fire early and on the spot before it spreads. That is what should be mentioned and not the "direct line" nonsense.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited March 2021
    • Modern early warning fire system; covers all data center park facilities and includes an automatic fire alarm system that uses aspirating smoke detectors

• Direct connection of the data center's fire alarm system to the local fire and rescue coordination center; includes fault monitoring

*Fire detectors include alarms

*Separation of the various fire protection areas by fire proof doors, Doors automatically shut when system detects smokes

• Handheld CO₂ fire extinguishers and portable wheeled CO₂ fire extinguishers in every data center unit

• DC units (buildings) separated from each other with a gap in between them to prevent fire from spreading (flashover) until fire departent arrives

• Gaps between DC units adhere to required minimum distances

• Designated fire-fighting spaces for every data center; spaces kept clear at all times

• Rooms for transformers, medium-voltage stations, and battery rooms built with firewalls and fireproof doors

• Cable ducts in firewalls are sealed for at least 90 minutes

• Ventilation ducts in the firewalls equipped with self-closing fire dampers

• Designated Hetzner staff members are fire protection officers and helpers; they communicate regularly with local fire departments

• Fire protection plans for every data center; these take into account any differences in structural design

I did some googling and it looks like the closest 'Feuerwehr (firefighter services)' are about 3KM's (4min) away from Falkenstein, and 9 minutes in Nürnberg. Based off of this information, they are leagues ahead of OVH but miles behind big datacenter operators like Equinix, Iron Mountain, Softlayer and so on. Still i would trust Hetzner with my data 100% more then OVH any time of the day or night.

Oh and as always: if you don't keep backups, you should just not manage servers at all.

Thanked by 2vero TimboJones
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@FoxelVox said:
    leagues ahead of OVH

Couldn't find anything about wooden floors, so we should be safe. Fireproof constructions are good idea overall. And the requirement in most cases.

if you don't keep backups, you should just not manage servers at all.

And if you are not sysadmin, as well. Not my words, but got it repeated 2 times in last 2 days by well known people; couldn't say they are exemplary type of leaders for me, but still. I think THESE providers should put requirements for renting their servers or buying services, like "For sysadmins only, appropriate certification is obligatory".

A direct line to a fire department is meaningless if the building goes up in total smoke in 5 minutes or so.

Look at OVH. They had a direct line (probably) but used wooden floors. Fire trucks were too late when they got there.

• momkinmomkin Member
    edited March 2021

Hezner anti fire protection

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@momkin said:
    Hezner anti fire protection

Ah yes. The standard serving of beer in Germany.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @deank said:
    A direct line to a fire department is meaningless if the building goes up in total smoke in 5 minutes or so.

What are you talking about? The fire was like 3+ hours. It's like you think it doesn't matter how quickly they get there to stop the spread, which is really fucking stupid.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Seems they've had smoke coming from unused batteries in SBG1 and has now shut everything down again for the night.

• MatthewMMatthewM Member
    edited March 2021

@terrahost said:
    Seems they've had smoke coming from unused batteries in SBG1 and has now shut everything down again for the night.

Are they using the same batteries as before the fire?

• @MatthewM said: Are they using the same batteries as before the fire?

In theory no, in practice probably no too... but it's OVH.

From oles twitter:

The unused room with the unused batteries was in SBG1.
    (...)
    The fire in SBG2 has probably damaged the batteries but the smoke started only 10 days after ..

SBG1 is that 'containers datacenter' - maybe those batteries were in the "room" in the middle of container (room in shipping containers, lmao) hard to remove and because they had been stable for few days and not in use they decided to remove it later and focus on other things :)

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • isunbejoisunbejo Member
    edited March 2021

@JabJab said: SBG1 is that 'containers datacenter' - maybe those batteries were in the "room" in the middle of container (room in shipping containers, lmao) hard to remove and because they had been stable for few days and not in use they decided to remove it later and focus on other things

Its mean: true containers datacenter rather than true rooms datacenter :#

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"We don’t plan to restart SBG1. Ever."

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I have more trust in a Pi in my closet than OVHs "datacenters"

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited March 2021

This dude hard-coded an IP he doesn't own into device firmware.
    This is why you should either buy IP (as in, get the range assigned to you by RIPE) or use a DNS name.

Nevertheless, when his company deadpools and the devices become expensive paperweights, he would blame it on OVH instead of his own incompetence.